Big East could vote to dissolve

• 801 replies

MCNPA

Re: Big East could vote to dissolve
« Reply #100 on: December 12, 2012, 08:43:18 PM »
Moose, UMass still a school to consider.  I think they'd consider a drop to D1AA football considering they draw a little over 10k per game.  Their football program is bleeding but their bball program in the right hands has the market. First choices have to be Xavier, Butler, Dayton, St Louis.  Others like Creighton, Wichita State, VCU are compelling.

Poison

« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2012, 08:50:05 PM »
If we have 8 BE teams, we should stop there.
GT, Marq, Depaul, Nova, SJ, SH, Prov & Temple.

If a BE commissioner attempts to add additional

teams, that commissioner would only be recreating
the problem that started this mess in the first place.

just 8 will never happen. No Temple, add Xavier, Dayton, and Butler to get to ten which is a number I like. If you want 12 go get Creighton and one more. Anything more than that and I Think the league starts to get too depleted. I want a smaller conference so we can rebuild rivalries and actually get a conference feel.

12 is the magic number I think. 

Why is 12 the magic number? You have 4 teams you can kick out immediately.
And you should kick them out. Or you deserve to experience this again.

The BE needs to learn from their mistakes.

There is absolutely no reason why we need more than 8 teams.

Make an exit fee exorbitant. If a program wants to leave, let them bleed to death doing it.

Um I'm talking about a basketball only 12 team league.   More teams provided they are in proper markets and not double dipped means more $.  Pretty rare to find conferences now with 8 teams.  We have 7 teams right now (God I wish ND was still around).  Add 5 teams.  My first 3 are Xavier, Butler and St. Louis.  Other 2 is tougher for me.  Dayton and someone from the VA market would make sense.  Wish we could add BOS or DET market as they are Top 10 markets.

Why is 12 better than 8? How is there any value in 12?

Moose

« Reply #102 on: December 12, 2012, 08:59:08 PM »
If we have 8 BE teams, we should stop there.
GT, Marq, Depaul, Nova, SJ, SH, Prov & Temple.

If a BE commissioner attempts to add additional

teams, that commissioner would only be recreating
the problem that started this mess in the first place.

just 8 will never happen. No Temple, add Xavier, Dayton, and Butler to get to ten which is a number I like. If you want 12 go get Creighton and one more. Anything more than that and I Think the league starts to get too depleted. I want a smaller conference so we can rebuild rivalries and actually get a conference feel.

12 is the magic number I think. 

Why is 12 the magic number? You have 4 teams you can kick out immediately.
And you should kick them out. Or you deserve to experience this again.

The BE needs to learn from their mistakes.

There is absolutely no reason why we need more than 8 teams.

Make an exit fee exorbitant. If a program wants to leave, let them bleed to death doing it.

Um I'm talking about a basketball only 12 team league.   More teams provided they are in proper markets and not double dipped means more $.  Pretty rare to find conferences now with 8 teams.  We have 7 teams right now (God I wish ND was still around).  Add 5 teams.  My first 3 are Xavier, Butler and St. Louis.  Other 2 is tougher for me.  Dayton and someone from the VA market would make sense.  Wish we could add BOS or DET market as they are Top 10 markets.

Why is 12 better than 8? How is there any value in 12?

I just said more TV markets, more $
Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

« Reply #103 on: December 12, 2012, 08:59:59 PM »
Moose, UMass still a school to consider.  I think they'd consider a drop to D1AA football considering they draw a little over 10k per game.  Their football program is bleeding but their bball program in the right hands has the market. First choices have to be Xavier, Butler, Dayton, St Louis.  Others like Creighton, Wichita State, VCU are compelling.

I do think some teams like Umass and Charlotte have to look in mirror if they want to move forward with football.  It just might not be feasible for them.

Tiznow

« Reply #104 on: December 12, 2012, 09:29:05 PM »
Funny line;

“@SIPeteThamel: Some Big East knowledge today: The A-10 wanting to take in Big East hoops teams = Sun Belt wanting Florida and Bama.”

This is coming from a cuse guy who seems to dismiss SJU and other BE hoops programs when given the chance.  Maybe he's goofing on the A10 more than showing respect to the BE programs.

Moose

« Reply #105 on: December 12, 2012, 09:31:18 PM »
Funny line;

“@SIPeteThamel: Some Big East knowledge today: The A-10 wanting to take in Big East hoops teams = Sun Belt wanting Florida and Bama.”

This is coming from a cuse guy who seems to dismiss SJU and other BE hoops programs when given the chance.  Maybe he's goofing on the A10 more than showing respect to the BE programs.

I've still yet to find a Cuse fans who likes their move

Tiznow

« Reply #106 on: December 12, 2012, 09:41:55 PM »
Funny line;

I won't miss seeing them at MSG.  I wonder if the fans down south know what they invited into their conference.

« Reply #107 on: December 12, 2012, 09:42:42 PM »
Funny line;

once they start playing duke and unc, and dickie v calls it the best conference in the usa, fans will quickly forget the BE. 

there will be some great, instant classics, in the acc immediately.

Tiznow

« Reply #108 on: December 12, 2012, 09:45:54 PM »
Funny line;

once they start playing duke and unc, and dickie v calls it the best conference in the usa, fans will quickly forget the BE. 

there will be some great, instant classics, in the acc immediately.

Hopkins versus Wojo...that will make for a classic.

« Reply #109 on: December 12, 2012, 09:52:43 PM »
Funny line;

same here. After the original announcement the Cuse guys at my gym were pissed

TONYD3

« Reply #110 on: December 12, 2012, 09:59:16 PM »
My dream is a national championship - what do we gain from playing Dayton twice a year? St. Louis twice? We need a league- l agree with poison 8 teams. Smaller the better.
Make the holiday festival- bring back tournament schedule with 3 other good teams that draw people
Play top locals- no shitty fordham
Bring in cuse, uconn, duke and nd - they will help sell out the garden-
Play a crazy road schedule
Lock up lavin for 20 years

Poison

« Reply #111 on: December 12, 2012, 10:07:13 PM »
Funny line;

I won't miss seeing them at MSG.  I wonder if the fans down south know what they invited into their conference.

Cuse fans are obnoxious, but you're talking about the south.

Moose

« Reply #112 on: December 12, 2012, 10:11:54 PM »
My dream is a national championship - what do we gain from playing Dayton twice a year? St. Louis twice? We need a league- l agree with poison 8 teams. Smaller the better.
Make the holiday festival- bring back tournament schedule with 3 other good teams that draw people

Dayton is Top 30 in attendance every year.  They are legit program.
Holiday Festival is because other tournaments are more profitable and sexy (Maui, Charleston, Atlantis, Orlando, etc)
With the schedule your dreaming of we might not win enough games.  Nature of the beast.  Every conference will have patsies.  And again money talks.  If you put teams in big markets the TV deal gets richer.

Find me conferences with 8 teams.

gman

« Reply #113 on: December 12, 2012, 10:23:27 PM »

I do think some teams like Umass and Charlotte have to look in mirror if they want to move forward with football.  It just might not be feasible for them.

What do you mean? Uncc has pumped a lot of money into football and is jumping straight to cusa.

Moose

« Reply #114 on: December 12, 2012, 10:24:41 PM »

What do you mean? Uncc has pumped a lot of money into football and is jumping straight to cusa.

And what is CUSA exactly going to be?  Is the juice worth the squeeze for anyone outside of the big 4 conferences.

Tiznow

« Reply #115 on: December 12, 2012, 10:47:32 PM »

Dayton is Top 30 in attendance every year.  They are legit program.
Holiday Festival is because other tournaments are more profitable and sexy (Maui, Charleston, Atlantis, Orlando, etc)
With the schedule your dreaming of we might not win enough games.  Nature of the beast.  Every conference will have patsies.  And again money talks.  If you put teams in big markets the TV deal gets richer.

Find me conferences with 8 teams.

Right & the other tournaments are backed by ESPN.  The holiday festival is what it is.  It is nice local tournament that drew 10k in December.  They are doing better than the other early season tournaments that dont have ESPN pumping them up.   

desco80

« Reply #116 on: December 12, 2012, 11:58:23 PM »
The Holiday Festival would become relevant again, and could be a two day tournament again, if we agree to continue to play 'Cuse.  (Something our fans bitch about, but which Monasch and Lavin have said they want to do.  Boeheim too).
Day 1:   St. John's v MAAC team,  Syracuse v. A-10
Day 2:  Consolation and Championship  (which most years ends up being St Johns v Syracuse)

Rotate the two invited teams among the MAAC/A-10/North East/Colonial/America East         (think Iona, Siena, Hofstra, Fordham etc)
No team wants to schedule two tough games right before conference play, that's why in-season tournaments have faded.   
Huggins and WVU will agree to play Michigan this weekend, and use the trip to help recruit the area; but if he had to play another BCS team the following day .. I doubt he'd do it.   

MSG would do this because they would have near sell outs for two days, and they could truthfully bill it as a battle for bragging rights in NY.
Syracuse would do it in a heart beat because their alumni are clamoring for more games in NYC.
SJU gets to keep a traditional rival, earns headlines if we win with little downside if we lose... and just as importantly; we get a built in quality non-conference game every year ('Cuse), without having to ever travel.  Unlike trying to schedule with a Duke or UCLA who require a home/away arrangement, and risk the odd year when those teams have trouble scheduling us because their own conferences have 28 league games now.   

I know not everybody likes playing Syracuse; but if SJU were to make them a permanent invitee to the Holiday Festival it would make that tournament relevant again and maintain a true rivalry in an era when there aren't many left. 
Couldn't do this before, because most conferences frown on their teams playing each other outside of the regular season, but with 'Cuse gone to the ACC it presents an opportunity.

Sorry if this is long winded, and I know I've said it before.  But, it's a pet peeve of mine.   In the future we may not have games with UCONN, Rutgers, ND, etc   it'd be nice to maintain a marquee non-conference rival.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 12:09:16 AM by desco80 »

« Reply #117 on: December 13, 2012, 12:02:13 AM »
While I hate Cuse with a passion---and I hate them taking over the Garden everytime we play them---that is not a bad idea at all.

desco80

« Reply #118 on: December 13, 2012, 12:15:41 AM »
Someone posted this on RM as well,   but it looks like things are further along than we realize.

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN
"BIg East hoops schools expected to release statement on future plans in coming days. Source told @espn would be an "upset" if they remained"

« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 12:19:20 AM by desco80 »