When do the excuses run out?

• 268 replies

Poison

Re: When do the excuses run out?
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2021, 12:07:38 PM »
With respect? Higher?

I guess anything I say is not good enough for some folks here. They won the Big East championship and Whitehead went onto play in NBA. Desi was somewhat of an unheralded local recruit who went onto become a great 4 year player in conference. The impact they had for Seton Hall significantly changed their identity and their status within the Big East.

These are good comparisons in terms of program impact, and I think that’s your point? They are not the same type of players. But unheralded is what I would call Champagnie who was unranked. Or Posh and Wusu who were ranked significantly lower than most Norm Roberts recruits. Wusu was ranked 378. That’s Jasuloines territory.

I’m with you in that I was concerned that we didn’t get Davis, or Curbelo, or any top 100 talent, but if you look at where Champ, Posh and Wusu started compared to where they are now, they’ve moved up. Way up.

Wusu probably should have been around 125. Posh should have been top 25. Champ, too. Is this sustainable? IDK. I’m not used to exceeding expectations.

jr49

« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2021, 12:51:29 PM »
Here's the thing, "when do the excuses run out" is still valid. This was a put up or shut up year for Anderson. There should be no excuses. And now his team is putting up and credit to him for that. I didn't see it coming and most didn't. This team looked dead in the water. Now they're clicking on all cylinders.
This thred not one the board can be proud of. Dan, what do you think team must achive for coach to get a third season?

jr49

« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2021, 01:05:33 PM »
It's very possible coach will get top 100 guys in the future, but not according to this board. Why is that?

Marillac

« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2021, 04:11:57 PM »
It's very possible coach will get top 100 guys in the future, but not according to this board. Why is that?

It should be more than “possible.” We had at least one top 100 kid on the roster going back to the 80s and probably longer. Even the sh*t we suffered through with Norm we always had a top 100 kid or more. He inherited Showtime and Hamilton as sophs and then landed Mase Jr. and Burrell. Calhoun might have been as well.

Anderson always had top 100 talents and often top 25-50 on his Mizzou and Arkansas teams.

Two years without a top 100 ranked recruit is historic at St. John’s. It’s just odd.

However, Posh was a top 75 talent — and not in the retrospective sense that Champagnie and likely Wusu are. He was a clear top 75 player at the time of his signing. His ranking suffered because of his injury.

The staff deserves serious credit for recognizing talent in Champagnie, Wusu, and others...and maybe even more for using them correctly. I’ve been preaching ad nauseam about moving SF types like Dom to the four or five for two decades, but Anderson is the first coach to do it when it wasn’t a necessity.

Anderson knows what he wants, but many us don’t understand why we can’t go and beat top schools for blue chippers that fit his style. Maybe Posh and Champ blowing up so big so early will make top 100 kids want to come here going forward?

Marillac

« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2021, 04:14:48 PM »
Here's the thing, "when do the excuses run out" is still valid. This was a put up or shut up year for Anderson. There should be no excuses. And now his team is putting up and credit to him for that. I didn't see it coming and most didn't. This team looked dead in the water. Now they're clicking on all cylinders.

😂 Year 2 with a freshman PG is put up or shut up? That’s just insane.

« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2021, 11:46:15 PM »
“When do excuses run out” have to keep it going :)

Congrats Coach Third Choice on win 400 and clinching his 19th straight year .500 or better. We have bigger goal this year then .500....Next up #beatdepaul

« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2021, 09:43:27 PM »
Right, so quick to rush to judgment. You can gargle his balls all you want, but coach never has had a losing season is 6-18 in conference in two years, and it's not going to get better; he hasn't hit a rough patch this season: he's awful, his system is stupid, he has barely a clue as a coach, he's a shit recruiter and those are his better qualities. If it wasn't for complete dopes like Leitao and Ewing he'd be 1-23 in two years and that one win only because Steve Wojowitskiii is dumber than the other two.  They shouldn't fire him, they should hang him from Cragg's headless, crucified corpse on Utopia Turnpike. Good grief.

Lol look at this dumbass

« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2021, 11:02:19 PM »
Hasn't implemented his system yet... Another excuse.

Hate to break it to you this leaky half court defense and no half court offense is what it is. We've seen it for 2 years now. None of these guys are taking monumental leaps

Or this take “no players have taken monumental leaps”

« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2021, 04:20:55 AM »
We haven't won anything yet. Team is on an impressive run after looking like they were done. Anderson deserves credi. Let's not wave poms poms for 4th place just yet.

Poison

« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2021, 08:26:25 AM »
We haven't won anything yet. Team is on an impressive run after looking like they were done. Anderson deserves credi. Let's not wave poms poms for 4th place just yet.

This is the best team we’ve had in 10 years. Excuse me, but I’m going to wave them. A lot.

Also, Coach needs an extension right now.

And Bobby Hurley sucks.

« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2021, 10:21:46 AM »
This is the best team we’ve had in 10 years. Excuse me, but I’m going to wave them. A lot.

And Bobby Hurley sucks.

+1000000

Hurley has 2 projected lottery/1st round picks and Remy Martin one of most disappointing teams of the season that’s for sure

Johnny23

« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2021, 11:11:58 AM »
Or this take “no players have taken monumental leaps”

LOL Several posters were exposed on Page 1 of this thread. Bookmark it to share with the class! You all know who you are!

« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2021, 04:13:26 PM »
(a) Defend Anderson without mentioning Mullin. Pro tip: you can't.

(b)  Read for comprehension: I want to crucify Cragg, not Anderson.

(c) Mullin was 3-17 through 24 BE games, and finished 7-11 his second year after losing his best player. Anderson is 6-18 through 24 BE games and will have to go carry the one 6-6 to have a better record, all but one of those games against teams not called Depaul, six on the road. Barring a miracle he'll equal or worst Mullin's record through two years. And miracles on Utopia are hard to come by.

(d) He stinks.

Even with your Fugazi math system that ones gonna be hard to walk back. I remember when you gave Tony shit for staying away on winning streaks. Those were good times. Just like this.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2021, 04:28:59 PM »
Even with your Fugazi math system that ones gonna be hard to walk back. I remember when you gave Tony shit for staying away on winning streaks. Those were good times. Just like this.
Anyone know why Tony no longer posts?

« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2021, 05:02:12 PM »

And Bobby Hurley sucks.

What does Bobby Hurley have to do with this convo? I sure as hell didn't want him here.

Stay steady. We looked like the worst team in the league for awhile and now we look like one of the top teams. You can find us somewhere in the middle Let's see how things unfold.

Marillac

« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2021, 09:58:07 PM »
Anyone know why Tony no longer posts?

I didn’t even notice until you bright it up because his posting is is similar to two others. They’ve kind of become one to me. I always liked Tony...even with all his lunacy.

Poison

« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2021, 11:18:16 PM »
What does Bobby Hurley have to do with this convo? I sure as hell didn't want him here.

Stay steady. We looked like the worst team in the league for awhile and now we look like one of the top teams. You can find us somewhere in the middle Let's see how things unfold.

The committee wants the team that you are at the end of the season. We were a 6 seed in 2011 because we lost DJ. That was team we were in March. It may work in our favor this time. Our 8-7 may not be as heavy as an 8-7 in the Big Ten or Big 12, but we are clearly a much different team now than we were when the season began and we almost lost to St.Peter’s and Rider at home.

A lot of this comes down to expectations. I didn’t expect a tourney bid, although I did expect improvement that we could point to without kidding ourselves.

I think Posh and Champ are the alphas that Heron and Figueroa were not.

Five wins his first season. Eight and counting his second is very promising, but I agree - work left to do. Thankfully, Coach thinks so, too.

« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2021, 03:42:43 AM »
The committee wants the team that you are at the end of the season. We were a 6 seed in 2011 because we lost DJ. That was team we were in March. It may work in our favor this time. Our 8-7 may not be as heavy as an 8-7 in the Big Ten or Big 12, but we are clearly a much different team now than we were when the season began and we almost lost to St.Peter’s and Rider at home.

A lot of this comes down to expectations. I didn’t expect a tourney bid, although I did expect improvement that we could point to without kidding ourselves.

I think Posh and Champ are the alphas that Heron and Figueroa were not.

Five wins his first season. Eight and counting his second is very promising, but I agree - work left to do. Thankfully, Coach thinks so, too.

And we still have work to do. If we lose out are we in? I like where we're headed but I still proceed with caution.

Posh has turned this season around. It's that simple. Once he asserted himself it has been the difference. We were losing even with Champaigne getting buckets.

« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2021, 05:00:31 AM »
When and where? Have some extra Depaul and Georgetown games been added to the schedule that I don't know about?

Hey guys, Rookie talkbigeast here... You are right I can’t find the wins anywhere.  I’ll be make sure to show respect with the great takes the elders have here

« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2021, 01:05:48 AM »
I’ll be make sure to show respect with the great takes the elders have here
Apology accepted.