Felix Balamou - SG - Our Savior New American - Centerreach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 344 replies
I don't think Paris came in as a good shooter.  He worked on it and was good by the end of his 4 years.

hell be the quickest guy on our team from day one. His handle is fine and he is strong with the ball on the way to the hoop. His jumpers form isnt perfect but he makes plenty. check out the video posted on page 40 of the Chris Obekpa page.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

I don't think Paris came in as a good shooter.  He worked on it and was good by the end of his 4 years.

Pretty sure his freshman year was his best from behind the arc
Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose wrote:
Pretty sure his freshman year was his best from behind the arc

Actually although Paris' number of 3 point attempts varied quite a bit throughout his four years. His 3 point % was pretty consistent:  37% as a freshmen
                              33.5% as a sophmore   
                              37% as a Junior
                              37.7 as a senior

ras

I like Balamou. But, with the fact that he did not sign his LOI and all the recruits still on our radar . I get this feeling he will not be a johnny.

Poison

I like Balamou. But, with the fact that he did not sign his LOI and all the recruits still on our radar . I get this feeling he will not be a johnny.

Sampson didn't sign yet either.

ras

I thaught I read his coach said he did.

Sampson did sign.

Poison

Sampson did sign.

My bad. Thank you.

MCNPA

My guess is that if we land a kid like Nolan this weekend, Balamou won't be an option if Chandler qualifies and/or Josiah wants to come here.  Gott take those guys if we can get them.  They are super-premium recruits.  In addition, there still exists possibility of Hooper being on academic ship.  On his twitter profile he lists himself as SJU class of 2015.  I wouldn't rule that out as a possibility if he took an unofficial visit that weekend before he committed.

I think since we've offered Balamou and he has committed, we should expect him at SJU.  I know the NLI hasn't been signed, but I think that would be a bad move on our part.  Just an integrity thing.  Withholding a NLI for the student-athlete to sign because of academic issues is a different story.  I think that was behind the Dwight Meikle situation, although I never fully understood what happened with that.

As for an academic scholarship for Hooper, I highly doubt that.  SJU just doesn't give big money to transfers, even if coming from Harvard.  I could be wrong.  Even if I am wrong, I think the NCAA would count any non-athletic originating money against us and he'd count against our team scholarship limit.  I don't know how a top tier athlete gets around being counted as a scholarship athlete in Div I athletics, even if on a full academic scholarship -- my guess is that the student has to go through the standard application process in competition with other students and there probably can't be too much communication with the athletics department.  I could be wrong about this, I have to admit I don't know.  The only academic full ride that SJU gives is a presidental scholarship to incoming students, and a big part of the criteria is SAT scores.

desco80

I think since we've offered Balamou and he has committed, we should expect him at SJU.  I know the NLI hasn't been signed, but I think that would be a bad move on our part.  Just an integrity thing.  Withholding a NLI for the student-athlete to sign because of academic issues is a different story.  I think that was behind the Dwight Meikle situation, although I never fully understood what happened with that.

As for an academic scholarship for Hooper, I highly doubt that.  SJU just doesn't give big money to transfers, even if coming from Harvard.  I could be wrong.  Even if I am wrong, I think the NCAA would count any non-athletic originating money against us and he'd count against our team scholarship limit.  I don't know how a top tier athlete gets around being counted as a scholarship athlete in Div I athletics, even if on a full academic scholarship -- my guess is that the student has to go through the standard application process in competition with other students and there probably can't be too much communication with the athletics department.  I could be wrong about this, I have to admit I don't know.  The only academic full ride that SJU gives is a presidental scholarship to incoming students, and a big part of the criteria is SAT scores.

Andre Drummond played for UCONN as a walkon this year, Kyle Kuric and *Chris Smith did it for Louisville.    It sounds like Hooper's dad would be able to pay his way, so he may not even need an academic scholarship.   He's a big-time agent in the music businesses.   

I don't know how it works, but other programs find a way.   I think it comes down to whether a player had their official visit paid for.  If they did, then they've been 'recruited", and can't walkon without counting against the scholarship limit.   
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on that.

edit: a little insight into the Drummond situation.
http://articles.courant.com/2011-12-21/sports/hc-drummond-scholarship-1222-20111221_1_andre-drummond-scholarship-financial-aid

"A recruited player can pay his own way as long as all aid he receives is non-institutional,"
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 08:40:40 PM by desco80 »

Happy

Andre Drummond played for UCONN as a walkon this year, Kyle Kuric and Russ Smith did it for Louisville.    It sounds like Hooper's dad would be able to pay his way, so he may not even need an academic scholarship.   He's a big-time agent in the music businesses.   

I don't know how it works, but other programs find a way.   I think it comes down to whether a player had their official visit paid for.  If they did, then they've been 'recruited", and can't walkon without counting against the scholarship limit.   

I believe you mean Chris Smith.. Russ was on a full scholarship .

desco80

Andre Drummond played for UCONN as a walkon this year, Kyle Kuric and Russ Smith did it for Louisville.    It sounds like Hooper's dad would be able to pay his way, so he may not even need an academic scholarship.   He's a big-time agent in the music businesses.   

I believe you mean Chris Smith.. Russ was on a full scholarship .

Yes, I did mean Chris.  Good catch.

paultzman

Abaence of LOI speaks volumes, unless I am missing something. Room for two bigs now. Moose raised this Felix issue earlier. Hm!!

Maybe Balamou preps....I remember talk of it prior to his commitment.  Also maybe Hooper pays his own way.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Hey Felix, I know a place for you. Not too far

Moose

Not so fast my friend
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 09:56:17 PM by Moose »
Remember who broke the Slice news

Chilleb

How many ships do u guys have left?!? Seems like u guys got as many as we did

uwsfan

Kids when left to their own devices often make unwise choices for themselves.
Someone more experienced and knowledgable should have advised Felix that attaching yourself to a more highly ranked friend in order to finagle your way into a program that is actually out of your league is a bad idea that will probably put you in a bad situation and you will likely be recruited over in short order. Well, thats exactly what has happened.

I suspect both he and Obekpa are not getting the best adult advise.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 03:01:41 PM by uwsfan »