Felix Balamou - SG - Our Savior New American - Centerreach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 344 replies

boo3

I cant see Felix coming. Very few minutes at both guard spots to be had for the next few years
Lol.  Of course not.  Now we have too much depth. What are these coaches doing?
This place is an insane asylum.

I cant see Felix coming. Very few minutes at both guard spots to be had for the next few years
Lol.  Of course not.  Now we have too much depth. What are these coaches doing?
This place is an insane asylum.

Where does he get his minutes? Not only next year, but the year after? Harrison has to on the court as much as possible. Change of pace, Greene, Marco and than Hopper the year after. He got recruited over twice already and the staff is bringing in more visits

If he is good he'll get playing time. Hope he wants competition and strives to be the best he can be! At SJU

Poison

Not every player can get valuable minutes. Some of them can sit and learn. This isn't the Norm Roberts era where we bury all big east players on the bench. If he happens to be that good, he'll get in the game.

Oh I don't want him to go. A lot of talent coming in, someone's not going to be happy with their playing time. It's a good thing

After reading about Felix on these boards and believing in Greene as a pg, this kid could see some good time at the 2.  His d seems to be his strength and that is a rarity for kids coming out of hs.  The first half of season could be huge for Phil and felix as branch sits.  Minutes will go to best in big east play but a strong showing by both in nov and dec could get both, especially Felix regular minutes once conf play starts.  Now if Phil does not play well at point in begining and staff keeps him at 2 off bench, it will be on Felix to beat him out for bu sg time.  But like I said, if kids d is legit, staff will find way to get him on court.

Just Baldi doing what he does...There will be minutes for Felix...Harrison plays the 2 and Felix learns and backs him up...Phil is going to play point with Branch...Marco is a 3 so what does that have to do with anything?  We really play a point with 2 wings and Branch will be strictly be a 1 but Harrison and Phil can play the 1 or 2...Felix can get his share of minutes at the 2 or as one of the wings

Just Baldi doing what he does...There will be minutes for Felix...Harrison plays the 2 and Felix learns and backs him up...Phil is going to play point with Branch...Marco is a 3 so what does that have to do with anything?  We really play a point with 2 wings and Branch will be strictly be a 1 but Harrison and Phil can play the 1 or 2...Felix can get his share of minutes at the 2 or as one of the wings

There you go.  It's all about flexibility, with Lavin being able to rotate players between positions to react to or set up a situation where we put our opponents at a disadvantage.  I'm sure the situation about playing time was discussed with Felix during his visit.  It seems like this kid's got a lot of potential but might need a year or two to fully blossom.  As long as he doesn't have a huge head we could be just fine.  Kinda reminds me of Phil's situation last year when people questioned his signing because he was ranked aroung the 100s. ;)

Felix, and the rest of the roster, will earn playing time with defense as what we did last year will start to look like walk-throughs.  The match-up zone press with a full roster and not having to worry about instant walk-on and no real height will use much more energy and yield many more possessions.  I remember Lav's UCLA teams (which I did not particularly like because they felt like less than the sum of the parts on offense) and see better strategy in what he is doing with us.  If we ever get to the point where we are transitioning easily in to secondary breaks and half court sets that yield offensive rebounds against big time competition, watch out for STJ late in March and early April.

desco80

Not a crazy thought.  I Kind've agree.
Well see what happens with Wood and Turner these next few weeks, I think that will tell us a lot about how the staff views Felix's role. 

Not every player is brought in to be a star or play right a way.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

That's true, Dave
But, if you look at the increasing number of kids who are transferring nationwide, it seems like less and less kids are willing to wait to play or willing to be a role player on a team
Very different than my playing days. I was just happy to be on a team and support the guys on the floor.
We are now living in an era of instant gratification

+1 Dave
see Hooper & Marco

Every team needs 10-12 players.
He verballed knowing D'angelo, Greene & Branch already here.
Realistically a well rounded team needs 4-5 guards.

If no addl eligible guards sign late, I see Felix getting 10-15 minutes as a Freshman

Molloy '71

Moose

+1 Dave
see Hooper & Marco

If no addl eligible guards sign late, I see Felix getting 10-15 minutes as a Freshman

10 to 15 a game????  No way.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Chilleb

+1 Dave
see Hooper & Marco

Think about it, I could definitely see him playing over Phil in the second half of the year when branch is eligible

Chilleb

Bourgault handled the ball some for his French team and d Angelo did a bit last year when Phil was on the bench

desco80

But from everything I've heard, Felix can't handle the ball.   People have said he's more like a poor man's version of Dom than anything else.  Athletic, good defender, but un-refined offensive game. 

Moose

+1 Dave
see Hooper & Marco

Think about it, I could definitely see him playing over Phil in the second half of the year when branch is eligible

I like Felix but I think your a little too high on his game, plus your dealing with guys who have played tons of minutes already.  If you want Orlando and Karr in the lineup thats going to mean 2 spots are taken and gotta find minutes for Branch, Greene, Amir, Dom, Marco breaking up zones, in addition to already Harrison pulling in 30 plus.

Moose

But from everything I've heard, Felix can't handle the ball.   People have said he's more like a poor man's version of Dom than anything else.  Athletic, good defender, but un-refined offensive game. 

He can handle.  I don't see Dom at all.  I see Paris.

desco80

He can handle.  I don't see Dom at all.  I see Paris.

Oh really?  Then maybe he will see a lot of burn.   I think 15 mins is high, but maybe then 10 is a reasonable expectation.

If he can defend like the reports say he can, and he can handle the ball some ... that's pretty good for me.    I'm guessing he doesn't have the shot paris did though, does he?