Mullin - Anderson Thread ***READ AT OWN RISK

• 491 replies
Re: Mullin - Anderson Thread ***READ AT OWN RISK
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2020, 04:05:37 AM »
I totally agree with Marillac, the only person on here the thinks Mullin was a good coach is Carmine. I feel that everyone else states the obvious, legendary player, awful coach.

I feel like most of us should try to be more realistic with things. Mullin was a bad coach, and the team this year has been horrible so far. You have to give Anderson time and players for his system but the half court offense has been almost as bad as the Mullins first year team.

« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2020, 05:35:09 AM »
I totally agree with Marillac, the only person on here the thinks Mullin was a good coach is Carmine. I feel that everyone else states the obvious, legendary player, awful coach.

I feel like most of us should try to be more realistic with things. Mullin was a bad coach, and the team this year has been horrible so far. You have to give Anderson time and players for his system but the half court offense has been almost as bad as the Mullins first year team.

We missed enough shots the last three games where the half court offense stuff can stop. Wasn’t the reason we lost. 
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Foad

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2020, 06:40:14 AM »
I thought Mullin axed the idea of bringing mike rice in.

Once again

"Mullin wanted to hire former Rutgers head coach Mike Rice as an assistant last summer … But when Mullin brought Rice’s name to Gempesaw, the school president balked, a source said. Gempesaw perhaps feared blowback and a potential public-relations hit."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jppelzman/2019/04/09/a-hire-chris-mullin-was-not-allowed-to-make-helped-set-the-stage-for-his-departure/#50cbdd875b56

« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2020, 08:00:08 AM »
My position regarding our hero was succinctly stated in the Providence thread:

"No, we can agree that Mullin came here a novice coach inheriting the worst roster ever in the history of St. John's and improved his record all four years he was here. The final one was outstanding culminating in an Ncaa tournament bid. His tenure here was not a runaway success.

CFC meanwhile is 1 and 5."

Foad

« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2020, 08:23:56 AM »

For languages where "succinct" means repeats the same single thought over and over and over again several times a day with slight variations in language and syntax. Unlike English, where succinct means the opposite.

« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2020, 08:28:04 AM »
For languages where "succinct" means repeats the same single thought over and over and over again several times a day with slight variations in language and syntax. Unlike English, where succinct means the opposite.
I meant this one time. Not overall obviously.

TONYD3

« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2020, 08:53:18 AM »

"No, we can agree that Mullin came here a novice coach inheriting the worst roster ever in the history of St. John's and improved his record all four years he was here. The final one was outstanding culminating in an Ncaa tournament bid. His tenure here was not a runaway success.

CFC meanwhile is 1 and 5."
Not a runaway success? How so? No one says "Fxck you" like Coach Mullin

« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2020, 09:01:37 AM »
Go to hogville.net and look up the complaints about Anderson. They never changed regardless of the season.

« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2020, 09:37:17 AM »
Go to hogville.net and look up the complaints about Anderson. They never changed regardless of the season.

Hmm sounds like a fan message board
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2020, 09:40:45 AM »
man we need to win a game or two this board is losing it

SJUFAN

« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2020, 10:01:08 AM »
We missed enough shots the last three games where the half court offense stuff can stop. Wasn’t the reason we lost. 

Exactly, but it won’t cause it doesn’t fit the trolls narrative.

Foad

« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2020, 10:28:58 AM »
Exactly, but it won’t cause it doesn’t fit the trolls narrative.

Because one sure fire indication of a good offense is lots of missed shots.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2020, 10:33:55 AM »
One of the biggest criticisms of Mullin was his staff.

What does everyone think about Anderson’s staff? Obviously it’s Anderson’s team, but is his staff strong to influence Anderson down the road to change the strategy of needed?
Cougar O' Malley

TONYD3

« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2020, 11:20:43 AM »

What does everyone think about Anderson’s staff? Obviously it’s Anderson’s team, but is his staff strong to influence Anderson down the road to change the strategy of needed?
I haven't noticed Anderson look to his staff at all. The younger guy occasionally barks out instructions.

Johnny23

« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2020, 11:57:52 AM »

Well regarded. DeMeo's name has been brought up in multiple games this year as being a key addition for Anderson.

Marillac

« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2020, 05:01:41 PM »

His nephew looks clueless to me. DeMeo puzzles me. 10 years as a coach at Providence and then a JUCO? I’m not sure people understand how big of a drop that is. I was offered a head coaching job at a JUCO at like age 25-26 when my then head coach was thinking about retiring to remain as just AD and wanted me to take over.

DeMeo did a great job at JUCO and probably made some good connections but that is a job for a very young man with ambition or a defeated older man willing to settle.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 05:02:51 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2020, 06:27:39 PM »
Macon is solid but they don't have a real recruiting ace on the staff. Need a young local guy with something to prove.

« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2020, 06:29:29 PM »
Why are you on this board if you are a D1 head coach Marillac?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 06:29:45 PM by BannerMountainMan »

Marillac

« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2020, 06:42:56 PM »
Why are you on this board if you are a D1 head coach Marillac?

I am a lawyer. I went to law school instead of taking that job. There are aspects of being involved with a college athletic program that are disgusting and completely exhausting.

I have many stories as a former student athlete and coach that I can’t share here. In basketball and football it’s something new every single day. Drugs, fights, not going to class, girls, etc. I wanted no part of that.

I came up through the circuit of camps and clinics (and many hours drinking at the bar and hotel rooms after) with a ton of awesome guys who are now head coaches at prep schools, JUCOs and assistants at D-1 and D-2 colleges. JUCO was always seen as just a rung on the ladder — and you often have to switch ladders every year or two keep climbing. An assistant position at a Big East school is on a different planet than any head coaching JUCO position.

TONYD3

« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2020, 06:43:04 PM »
170-27 sounds like a defeated man? That’s demo’s record as a head coach.