Mullin - Anderson Thread ***READ AT OWN RISK

• 491 replies
Re: Mullin - Anderson Thread ***READ AT OWN RISK
« Reply #140 on: January 24, 2020, 03:02:41 PM »
I don't concern myself much about assistant coaches. I think it's difficult to judge what they do and don't do unless you're really close to and involved with the program which I'm not.

I give all the credit, and blame, to the head coach as it's warranted.  I will say that losing Slice was probably a blow. Seems like a shame that he and Matt couldn't play nicer together in the sandbox.

I don't know what was done and not done by Chris over the summer months.

Assistant coaches are equally if not more important than head coach in most instances. You need to have strong assistants 1-3 and support staff in order to be successful head coach.

Coach K wouldn't be Coach K without all the support staff and work his assistants do.

Additionally school providing resources like charter flights, meals, etc all matter.

We haven't had a good strength coach since Pat Dixon left and it shows.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

TONYD3

« Reply #141 on: January 24, 2020, 03:05:00 PM »
Tony... also to your criticisms of Earlington.

He's a sophomore off the bench who barely played as a freshman. He's leading the team in FG% and provides a spark nearly all the time.

Through the moon with what he brings to the table and how he's progressing. What is the problem?!?
We are 1-5 that is the problem. I like earlington, Rutherford, and even caraher as players. They give us everything they have. They play smart.
But We are losing because of them. They are not good enough. Maybe if we had one of them. But all 3.
Dunn is one of our best players and he should be a backup.
I am tired of losing.

« Reply #142 on: January 24, 2020, 03:23:18 PM »
Poor baby. Get some sleep and maybe you won't be so tired. This is not all about how you feel. Try to imagine how the players feel about losing.

TONYD3

« Reply #143 on: January 24, 2020, 03:26:50 PM »
Marquette won 19 and 21 games respectively and finished 4th and 6th in conference. Sign me up!!  Additionally we're comparing Rousey who led them in scoring and minutes vs Mussini who we saying as 3rd guard, 6th man.

I think this further proves my point that he could have been valuable asset as an upperclassmen.
Had this conversation with Marquette fans at the big east. We all agreed rousey was great player. They were happy he was leaving because they couldn’t stop anyone with him. They expected to do better the following year without him. And the did. 2nd in conference.

« Reply #144 on: January 24, 2020, 03:37:02 PM »
If, if, if. All hypothetical nonsense that you have no way of proving. What we do know is that Mullin had arguably the most talented team in the BE last year and couldn't even finish .500 in conference. Pretty sad and that's a fact. It wasn't confusing that they didn't add a piece. It was lazy garbage on behalf of Mullin for not being able to find one serviceable big. Just one.

I see you're still hanging from my sack. Go cry on twitter again and make a poll. If you want to make it personal, like i told another poster... let's meet at a game.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 03:40:47 PM by Redy2Rumble »

TONYD3

« Reply #145 on: January 24, 2020, 04:14:11 PM »
I see you're still hanging from my sack. Go cry on twitter again and make a poll. If you want to make it personal, like i told another poster... let's meet at a game.
You saw that poll? I voted for you

cjfish

« Reply #146 on: January 24, 2020, 04:28:36 PM »
We are 1-5 that is the problem. I like earlington, Rutherford, and even caraher as players. They give us everything they have. They play smart.
But We are losing because of them. They are not good enough. Maybe if we had one of them. But all 3.
I am tired of losing.

Dunn is bad more than he is good. Takes bad shots leading to bad % and often drives into too much traffic.

SJUFAN

« Reply #147 on: January 24, 2020, 04:37:49 PM »
Transfers alone? In just Mullin’s last season had three high school kids.

Anderson loves transfers. He has two transfers committed already for next year and has offered at least one of Cole’s JUCO teammates. Are we in full blown bizzarro world now? We will almost cetainly grab a grad transfer too and, all told, we may be looking at 4-5 transfers total depending on who leaves. 

There’s nothing wrong with transfers in general, but it appeared that the staff was looking primarily at transfers then after using HS to fill out the roster. Problem with that strategy is you don’t know who’s going to be in the transfer portal and by that time most of the quality HS talent is off the board and your left with projects like Williams, Roberts, and Earlington.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 05:16:30 PM by SJUFAN »

ras

« Reply #148 on: January 24, 2020, 04:58:44 PM »

Dunn is bad more than he is good. Takes bad shots leading to bad % and often drives into too much traffic.
I wouldn’t say Dunn is bad. I would agree he is inefficient and tries to do too much relative to his skill set.

« Reply #149 on: January 24, 2020, 11:44:28 PM »
I am tired of losing.

So now we are losing because of players who are 8th and 9th in minutes played on the team? How about we upgrade players 3 through 5?

I'm not going to include Rutherford in this conversation bc we all know he is stopgap and subpar.

« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2020, 11:50:48 PM »
There’s nothing wrong with transfers in general, but it appeared that the staff was looking primarily at transfers then after using HS to fill out the roster. Problem with that strategy is you don’t know who’s going to be in the transfer portal and by that time most of the quality HS talent is off the board and your left with projects like Williams, Roberts, and Earlington.

While technically you're right but you do have a good idea early who is loose. For example everyone knew Isaiah Washington was gonna bounce from Minnesota the moment he committed.

However you can be solely reliant or heavily dependent on transfers.

I do think the balance was going to shift to hs as the team continued to have success.

TONYD3

« Reply #151 on: January 25, 2020, 12:18:59 AM »
So now we are losing because of players who are 8th and 9th in minutes played on the team? How about we upgrade players 3 through 5?

I'm not going to include Rutherford in this conversation bc we all know he is stopgap and subpar.
I wish there was a plus minus stat. We are losing close games. From watching it looks like we are losing with our drive team

« Reply #152 on: January 25, 2020, 01:11:38 AM »
I wish there was a plus minus stat. We are losing close games. From watching it looks like we are losing with our drive team

I'll see what I can dig up for you. 

« Reply #153 on: January 25, 2020, 12:45:37 PM »
Yeah I could see SJUBB having 6 newcomers, Cole, Posh, Wusu, Moore, Pickney, and Rand.

TONYD3

« Reply #154 on: January 25, 2020, 12:55:37 PM »
Yeah I could see SJUBB having 6 newcomers, Cole, Posh, Wusu, Moore, Pickney, and Rand.
Plus PG that is hurt.
Why is wusu rated so low? His stats are good. Supposedly a great athlete and can shoot? I asked same question on Twitter. Answer I got was his rating was going up
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 01:00:38 PM by TONYD3 »

Re: Nova 1/28
« Reply #155 on: January 26, 2020, 09:38:32 PM »
That would make a bunch of people cry. 
You're projecting your own feelings about last season under Mullin onto others.  ALL posters here want the team to win.

TONYD3

Re: Re: Nova 1/28
« Reply #156 on: January 26, 2020, 09:51:15 PM »
You're projecting your own feelings about last season under Mullin onto others.  ALL posters here want the team to win.

How come you didn’t contradict Marillac when he said Mullin was a terrible hire and awful coach?

« Reply #157 on: January 26, 2020, 09:55:44 PM »
We are 2-5 in conference. 
I know you struggle mightily with the wins...hyphen...losses format, but we're 2 and 6.

« Reply #158 on: January 26, 2020, 10:01:27 PM »
How come you didn’t contradict Marillac when he said Mullin was a terrible hire and awful coach?
I must have missed that. If he said he was a terrible hire, I agree with that. Anyone would have been a terrible hire at that point. We should have stayed with Hollywood. I don't agree he was an awful coach.  He was a novice coach that improved the team all 4 seasons and had one terrific one in his finale. 

P.S. Don't initiated Mullin- Anderson debate with me here. Dave hates that. This is a game thread. Bring it to the appropriate thread where people with half a brain or lives have the good sense not to venture into.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 12:33:15 AM by carmineabbatiello »

TONYD3

« Reply #159 on: January 26, 2020, 10:01:43 PM »
I know you struggle mightily with the wins...hyphen...losses format, but we're 2 and 6.
20-59 is still correct?