Lasalle 11/26

• 154 replies
Re: Lasalle 11/26
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2020, 06:21:51 AM »
Mullin and lavin both got more top end talent their first two years at SJU. Neither was able to recruit a deep or balanced team and because of that their better talent never got over the hump. CMA sacrifices some talent for depth, balance, and fit.  I’m WILLING to let him run the program his way and see how it works. I happen to like the players on this team.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2020, 06:29:20 AM »
You said atrocious. Find some middle ground and posters won’t have to argue with you. I’ve never said he’s a great recruiter. He did however get an all BE freshmen one month on the job. Atrocious!

I said our recruiting has been atrocious, yes, compared to other Big East schools it has been. Look it up. What big time recruiting battle have we won under CMA? I never said every recruit has been atrocious, some have been though.

« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2020, 06:34:00 AM »
Mullin and lavin both got more top end talent their first two years at SJU. Neither was able to recruit a deep or balanced team and because of that their better talent never got over the hump. CMA sacrifices some talent for depth, balance, and fit.  I’m WILLING to let him run the program his way and see how it works. I happen to like the players on this team.

So ou think every player he recruits fits? So Damien Sears fit really well! Just because we have depth does not mean its good depth. I would rather have 8 reliable good players then 11 who are "eh". How many players on our team would get legit burn on top 5 teams in our conference?

I do agree with you that we have to see how this season pans out and se how his system works. I like a lot of the players as well, and am glad you admitted that we can us more talent!

« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2020, 06:52:16 AM »
So ou think every player he recruits fits? So Damien Sears fit really well! Just because we have depth does not mean its good depth. I would rather have 8 reliable good players then 11 who are "eh". How many players on our team would get legit burn on top 5 teams in our conference?

I do agree with you that we have to see how this season pans out and se how his system works. I like a lot of the players as well, and am glad you admitted that we can us more talent!

Seers was a juco stop gap he recruited in the summer he got here to fill out the roster. If Stanley, a HS recruit he invested time in and chose to bring in as a freshmen, is a complete bust then he would have been a mistake. I want to see that happen first.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 06:55:08 AM by Amaseinyourface2 »

« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2020, 11:12:42 AM »
We are last in the big east in recruiting. Have you looked at the recruits every other big east school has been bringing in? It will only be harder now with UCONN back. What 5 star recruit would ever care about academics honestly? They main goal is to make money in the NBA.  Let me ask you this .....would you rather have a team with studs that leave after a year and they make it deep into the tournament and maybe even win, or have our kids graduate? I think everyone would sign up for having one and dones.

Yes Coach Anderson wins but that is in this past isn't it? I liked Lavin and thought he recruited well here but was not a great coach. He had a track record before coming and was run out of town after 4 years. Just because Anderson has won elsewhere does not mean he will automatically win here. Its a what have you done for me lately business.

I like the guy as a coach but you are out of your mind if you don't think the recruiting thus far has been a little alarming. So basically our plan is to get low level mid level recruits and develop everyone of them so well? That won't work int he big east.
You want to know why St. Johns is last in the Big East?? Because JUCO's dont count on the rankings and Overall St. Johns ranked #1 in JUCO recruiting this last year and he will sign another JUCO stud coming up this year with Pinzon and his teammate.

jr49

« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2020, 12:30:08 PM »
This isn't about Mike Anderson. If Coach doesn't have the budget to hire proper staff that's on the school. Lavin got the school to pony up and we had a really great support staff. When things went south there and after debacle with Slice the school went cheap on everything. Sorry, I thought coach was getting ripped befor he had a chance.

« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2020, 12:48:06 PM »
You want to know why St. Johns is last in the Big East?? Because JUCO's dont count on the rankings and Overall St. Johns ranked #1 in JUCO recruiting this last year and he will sign another JUCO stud coming up this year with Pinzon and his teammate.

Recruiting has to get better simply put. We're taking what we can get which isn't bad strategy instead of chasing high end guys but the floor needs to rise. We'll never get out of the basement.

Posh and Cole are good start but they shouldn't be marquee. Our best players in recruiting class are not as good as other Big East's teams worst recruit.

I understand building program, culture, and getting your style of players but need to get better quality guys. Pinzon should be the floor the not the ceiling.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2020, 01:02:22 PM »
Seers was a juco stop gap he recruited in the summer he got here to fill out the roster. If Stanley, a HS recruit he invested time in and chose to bring in as a freshmen, is a complete bust then he would have been a mistake. I want to see that happen first.

Ankel is making really good points. He is on the pulse of what's happening.

We're taking guys who are available. On the flip side last staff rolled the dice too many times. Need to have more balance of taking commitments and chasing them.

If we are going to be taking less tier talent then the school should be doing everything for development. Can't have subpar strength and conditioning program. These are the things that rise the tide and fill the gaps. Can't just be on Anderson.

« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2020, 01:21:27 PM »

We're taking guys who are available. On the flip side last staff rolled the dice too many times. Need to have more balance of taking commitments and chasing them.

If we are going to be taking less tier talent then the school should be doing everything for development. Can't have subpar strength and conditioning program. These are the things that rise the tide and fill the gaps. Can't just be on Anderson.

CMA wanted Champaigne and Wusu at St. John’s. You didn’t. I’m gonna side with the coach for now.

« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2020, 02:05:54 PM »
Recruiting has to get better simply put. We're taking what we can get which isn't bad strategy instead of chasing high end guys but the floor needs to rise. We'll never get out of the basement.

Posh and Cole are good start but they shouldn't be marquee. Our best players in recruiting class are not as good as other Big East's teams worst recruit.

I understand building program, culture, and getting your style of players but need to get better quality guys. Pinzon should be the floor the not the ceiling.

I hear you on recruiting, but to use another local that has been a good program for the past 5 years as an example, you don't think Posh, Cole, Moore etc are on the same level as the kids Seton Hall brought in with the same class (Long and Stevens)? 

Poison

« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2020, 02:38:59 PM »

The talent level has improved from last season to this season. It’s the player rankings that haven’t improved.

I’ll take the former. It’s early to evaluate all of the new kids, but overall, I think it’s as promising as we’ve seen at St.John’s in the last 20 years with maybe one or two exceptions.

I hear you on the strength and conditioning. We have been a pretty weak physical team for quite a long time. I could be wrong, but didn’t the strength and conditioning coach recently retire? Who is it now?

Thing is, it doesn’t matter who the strength and conditioning coach is if your star player eats McDonald’s all the time. The kids have to want to be in the best shape they can be in. By the time you get to college, diet and exercise aren’t foreign concepts. Sure, we have to get better trainers, better facilities and a better arena. More importantly, we need kids who want to be stronger and faster. Dom Pointer and Justin Simon got into great shape with a subpar strength and conditioning staff. It can be done. Get in the damn gym.

« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2020, 04:03:34 PM »
Anderson already exceeded expectations last year (17-15 on his way to 18-15 beating the top seed in the BE tourney until the game was called) 
A three point half-time lead does not a win make.

« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2020, 05:00:21 PM »

They don't count in rankings, but they're ranked #1.

« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2020, 05:38:06 PM »
CMA wanted Champaigne and Wusu at St. John’s. You didn’t. I’m gonna side with the coach for now.

You've made that abundantly clear every single post.

For the record this is was what I said when Wasu committed to us over Wagner, Bryant, and UMass. Never said, "I didn't want him" so please stop twisting my words.

Another reach.

Better than some of the other guys we've landed recently but think staff got fooled as he played extremely well in July over a 2 day stretch when they were in attendance. Think his game translates better at a lower level where he can be more physically imposing. At the very least he plays hard and I think defensively he can play in Big East. Hopefully can continue to develop and become more consistent perimeter threat.

« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2020, 05:45:41 PM »
You've made that abundantly clear every single post.

For the record this is was what I said when Wasu committed to us over Wagner, Bryant, and UMass. Never said, "I didn't want him" so please stop twisting my words.

So you called him a reach and you wanted him at sju? That’s twisting your words?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 05:47:02 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »

« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2020, 06:26:41 PM »

The difference that everyone knows but nobody acknowledges is that we aren't making market-rate offers anymore, even selectively.

The only way Anderson's approach is sustainable is to have superior scouting, superior player development, and superior execution. While I am skeptical and don't value the moral high horse, there are signs that this staff could excel in all three areas at SJU.

High floor / low ceiling team while a culture is being built with a new coach, AD and President is a worthwhile project.

« Reply #96 on: November 28, 2020, 07:59:07 PM »
So you called him a reach and you wanted him at sju? That’s twisting your words?

Go back and read the recruiting thread if you really need more clarity. Wasu isn't propelling us to the top of the conference but he can develop into a contributor and hopefully an impact player.

Acknowledge the situation for what it is. He's a big bodied guard who plays with good effort. He needs to improve to be a good get. The hope is he becomes Jared Terrell like minus the hops.

Poison

« Reply #97 on: November 28, 2020, 08:04:59 PM »
Go back and read the recruiting thread if you really need more clarity. Wasu isn't propelling us to the top of the conference but he can develop into a contributor and hopefully an impact player.

Acknowledge the situation for what it is. He's a big bodied guard who plays with good effort. He needs to improve to be a good get. The hope is he becomes Jared Terrell like minus the hops.

He’s better than Heron right now.

« Reply #98 on: November 28, 2020, 08:22:49 PM »

Or he’s just a good get

« Reply #99 on: November 28, 2020, 08:27:14 PM »
Or he’s just a good get

Time will tell but my point remains we can't hope to overachieve on literally every single recruit. This doesn't apply to Wasu but we need to be more choosey. No one we've recruited has had an offer from another Big East school. We were their only Big East offer.