Ray Salnave: Monmouth Grad Transfer

• 150 replies

Marillac

Re: Ray Salnave: Monmouth Grad Transfer
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2020, 08:12:06 PM »
I’d rather keep McGriff than add Salnave, and I’d much rather keep LJ than add Salnave.

Cole and a senior LJ would make a potent offensive pairing with a real PG.

« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2020, 04:21:43 PM »
Dave you also told us Ian Steere would be the best big we had in years ....you loved Mikey Dixon, Keita pick ups also. We wasted 2 years on each on these guys ....“don’t want to say I told you so” but hey bud guess what they all sucked and you liked them cause your boy recruited them ....LOL 🙄

Yes and still loved the Keita pick up assuming Owens would have stayed never as a replacement. Dixon was and would have been nice 3rd / 4th guard similar style to Dunn but not as relied on. Steere was unfortunate as we never truly saw what he was capable of.

I am really good friends with Matt and yes we went to school together. This really doesn't impact my basketball opinions as I work in the industry too and have professional knowledge of these kids from a young age. I don't agree with all his moves or evaluations but generally I respect his track record.

However that is really not here nor there anymore as we're past that. You should get over it too.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2020, 04:22:33 PM »
2019-20 In 29 MPG-

PTS   
REB
AST
FG%

If he plays the same minutes this season those numbers are going up. With Salnave plus Cole and Wusu at the wing his minutes are getting cut down however.

Minutes per game and usage rate are two very different things.

« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2020, 04:23:44 PM »
*Also admittedly didn't watch the last 5 games of the season, what 'fan' does that?*

Sorry but there are things in life more important than St. John's basketball. I've stated some personal things in previous posts. Perhaps you should go and look back.

« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2020, 04:25:19 PM »
I have not been a big fan of Mike Anderson. That being said majority of the transfers your boy got were head cases. Thus , the reason they were transfers. Mike Anderson most likely will recruit players similar to Norm but with better results on the court.

That's a fair criticism that I'd agree with. Rolled the dice too often. We needed more balance and became too heavy in transient culture.

« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2020, 04:26:57 PM »
Mike Anderson will not recruit well here. Even with full backing from the AD/administration, many more resources in place for the program, and more money, they will be digging for the "diamonds in the rough". Middle of the pack stuff. They haven't made inroads with the '21 class either. This is the unfortunate reality. I think Demeo and Macon are decent assistants but not dynamic recruiters for a program in need of some.

Our future depends on Posh Alexander... let's hope he excels quickly. Cole,Moore, Williams,Roberts,Earlington,Caraher, Dunn, Toro, Salnave (?) will all be gone in the next two years. Can we keep replacing guys with two year jucos and grad transfers? Then waiting for lower level HS recruits to develop as upperclassmen? 

This is kind of it. I think the floor somewhat raises somewhat where we win 18-20 games a year but I think the ceiling also lowers.

Some people may be satisfied with that but personally I am not.

« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2020, 04:30:18 PM »

Adam Zagoria

@AdamZagoria

Can confirm this is true. The expectation is that LJ Figueroa will remain in school and
@StJohnsBBall
 has no ships left.

WE ARE

We'll see in July

« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2020, 06:30:15 PM »
This is kind of it. I think the floor somewhat raises somewhat where we win 18-20 games a year but I think the ceiling also lowers.

[/

Then why are you so quick to defend the last staff if you aren’t satisfied with that?

« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2020, 06:34:00 PM »
Yes and still loved the Keita pick up assuming Owens would have stayed never as a replacement. Dixon was and would have been nice 3rd / 4th guard similar style to Dunn but not as relied on. Steere was unfortunate as we never truly saw what he was capable of.

I am really good friends with Matt and yes we went to school together. This really doesn't impact my basketball opinions as I work in the industry too and have professional knowledge of these kids from a young age. I don't agree with all his moves or evaluations but generally I respect his track record.

However that is really not here nor there anymore as we're past that. You should get over it too.

Ok and you points were wrong on all 3.....again you missed the whole point on you bashing every recruit Anderson has bought in. Just like you trust your boys Matt A track record I trust the track record of a head coach that has never had a losing season.

« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2020, 06:42:58 PM »
Sorry but there are things in life more important than St. John's basketball. I've stated some personal things in previous posts. Perhaps you should go and look back.

Agree a lot of things in life are way more important then St Johns basketball and I and all the members on the board send you all the prayers. A lot of people on these boards need prayers during these tough times. This is one place we can go and talk about Sports.

The point I am sure Quan was making was You came on the board to bash the team after we ended the season so strongly and then admitted you did not watch the last 5 games? Why bash on the team then if you did not watch those games and how they played?

This will be the deepest team we had in years if LJ returns. We have every piece back (we played better without Heron) from a team that in Year 1 of a rebuild was probably heading to the NIT and had a very strong chance to make there first Big East Semis since 2000. As a fan we should be excited for the future. Would think and hope someone like yourself who is owner of message board/ alum and a fan would be more optimistic and support this team then rip on them every chance you get.

Stay safe during these times Dave Go St. John’s ...Be excited!

« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2020, 07:19:28 PM »

Then why are you so quick to defend the last staff if you aren’t satisfied with that?

If I'm defending last staff then I'm also defending Lavin. Never wanted him gone.

That's why I don't understand why everyone's so quick to jump on that. All of our staffs have had their missteps and shortcomings. I believe in both instances small changes and continuity would have been better path instead of starting anew. This all stems from poor administration though.

« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2020, 07:26:20 PM »
Ok and you points were wrong on all 3.....again you missed the whole point on you bashing every recruit Anderson has bought in. Just like you trust your boys Matt A track record I trust the track record of a head coach that has never had a losing season.

Look I'm basing a lot of my opinions on first hand knowledge. A player's talents does not always equal production.

Coach may or may not use player in a role, not develop a strength, damage confidence. Life happens too. Don't forget these guys go through ups/downs of life too. Girl leaves 'em, family problems, etc.

- Owens stays, Keita doesn't injure his knee we might have another version of history.
- Dixon doesn't get in dog house and doesn't jump ship immediately he might have developed into nice 6th man role.
- Steere gets eligible immediately doesn't have to sit out, doesn't have another coaching change, etc.

I'm not out here bashing all of Anderson's recruiting but comparatively speaking to rest of conference we are inferior on paper every step of the way. Its hard to see improvement or vision of long term success when we're taking a step back. Do I think Anderson can coach guys up and squeeze more juice? Yea for sure but idk if that will be enough to climb out of cellar of the conference.

I think that's more than fair. I want to win, I root for us to win, but I'm dissatisfied with direction of the program and there is a lack of confidence from me.

« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2020, 07:36:34 PM »
Agree a lot of things in life are way more important then St Johns basketball and I and all the members on the board send you all the prayers. A lot of people on these boards need prayers during these tough times. This is one place we can go and talk about Sports.

The point I am sure Quan was making was You came on the board to bash the team after we ended the season so strongly and then admitted you did not watch the last 5 games? Why bash on the team then if you did not watch those games and how they played?

This will be the deepest team we had in years if LJ returns. We have every piece back (we played better without Heron) from a team that in Year 1 of a rebuild was probably heading to the NIT and had a very strong chance to make there first Big East Semis since 2000. As a fan we should be excited for the future. Would think and hope someone like yourself who is owner of message board/ alum and a fan would be more optimistic and support this team then rip on them every chance you get.

Stay safe during these times Dave Go St. John’s ...Be excited!

Let me make something clear. I'm never bashing. I've always had praise and criticisms since the inception of this website. I'm never going to waive pom poms nor am I ever going to be malicious towards player or coach.

We'll have to hang out at a game next year, have a beer, and we can talk hoops. Sometimes this online stuff gets lost in translation.

End of college basketball season is my busiest time of year for work. I'm prepping for recruiting trail and the only thing I know is the day ends in Y. Add anything personal on top of that watching games is tough and watching on dvr is brutal experience (but I do it sometimes). Dealing with my mom having life threatening illness in hospital and getting the plug pulled on my job because of Corona, the Johnnies were a total afterthought. I was in survival mode. I was in the hospital half paying attention to the Creighton game on my phone with 1 earphone in.

« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2020, 07:41:54 PM »
Dave - on a personal note, sorry for the family and job troubles. Be well.

I get all your points, and recruiting concern but still to me you are covering for things.

You really feel OK with Mullin continuing to never getting on the recruiting trail or at least being remotely engaged in it?

If Cam Mack got in car accident and fled from scene here in NY instead of Nebraska, would Matt's choice of recruiting been in question?

Only one AC change would have solved it?

Why couldn't coach talk Dixon out of doghouse?

If Steere was so sound, what the heck happened that he couldn't start off fresh with a new staff? All the other guys figured it out.  Who is to blame here?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 07:44:35 PM by RedStormNC »

Foad

« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2020, 08:55:04 PM »

I get all your points, and recruiting concern but still to me you are covering for things.

You really feel OK with Mullin continuing to never getting on the recruiting trail or at least being remotely engaged in it?

If Cam Mack got in car accident and fled from scene here in NY instead of Nebraska, would Matt's choice of recruiting been in question?

If Steere was so sound, what the heck happened that he couldn't start off fresh with a new staff? All the other guys figured it out.  Who is to blame here?

tl;dr Karen has a lot of questions.

« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2020, 09:15:17 PM »

Appreciate it and everything is on the bounce back.

So for one I personally sat with Mullin on the recruiting trail sometimes. His progression and understanding of the space got so much better each and every year. I think lack of Mitch Richmond on the road for me was more troubling.

I think good kids can make bad mistakes and bad kids can also not get caught. I'm not here to play judge and jury. It's difficult to weigh talent vs risk and every coach across America does it to some degree. The better ones swing and miss less.

I think one AC change and some admin level stuff could have solved a lot. Mullin should have brought in John Carroll to be special assistant and if not Mike Rice as AC someone like him.

I've said this plenty before a big criticism I had of former staff and in particular Matt was they were too quick to dismiss and say well we'll just get another guy off of transfers. We needed better continuity and team maturation.

I honestly don't know what was up with Steere. I was pretty far removed last season and I think some had to do with buy in and some with style. He was a force and I thought he was space eater we've been wanting.

« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2020, 12:40:15 PM »

I do agree with your assessment that the floor is likely higher than the last staff -- I can't imagine this current staff having a season with only 1 win in conference or a worse conference record than norm roberts. 

I doubt though that people will be satisfied if the ceiling is lower than the previous staff.  The best season they put together was an 8-10 conference record and last team into the NCAA tournament. If mike anderson doesn't manage to make it into the NCAA tournament over the  next 4 years, I imagine virtually everyone will be calling for him to be fired.

steve lavin got fired after 5 years, and he made the ncaa tournament 2x, the nit 2x, and had an overall winning record in conference.  You may be over-estimating SJU's ability to accept mediocrity (even if they should).

QuanMan

« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2020, 02:02:59 PM »
Let me make something clear. I'm never bashing. I've always had praise and criticisms since the inception of this website. I'm never going to waive pom poms nor am I ever going to be malicious towards player or coach.

We'll have to hang out at a game next year, have a beer, and we can talk hoops. Sometimes this online stuff gets lost in translation.

End of college basketball season is my busiest time of year for work. I'm prepping for recruiting trail and the only thing I know is the day ends in Y. Add anything personal on top of that watching games is tough and watching on dvr is brutal experience (but I do it sometimes). Dealing with my mom having life threatening illness in hospital and getting the plug pulled on my job because of Corona, the Johnnies were a total afterthought. I was in survival mode. I was in the hospital half paying attention to the Creighton game on my phone with 1 earphone in.

All the best to you and your family Dave.
Section 3
Section 116

NYCoffey

« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2020, 07:55:59 PM »
DePaul it is

« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2020, 08:20:03 PM »
If mike anderson doesn't manage to make it into the NCAA tournament over the  next 4 years, I imagine virtually everyone will be calling for him to be fired.
It would be a lot sooner than that.