Ray Salnave: Monmouth Grad Transfer

• 150 replies
Re: Ray Salnave: Monmouth Grad Transfer
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2020, 10:39:37 AM »
Lol how would that mean he’s staying? There are two ways to interpret that:  he wants to graduate and go pro or the far more likely scenario of graduating to transfer immediately.

Was only asking because of you give him 18 a semester including Juco that’s only 108 credits...I had to do more then that 30 years ago...I was just asking....

St. John’s is a very hard school to graduate from in two years for a transfer because it requires a combined 18 credits of theology and philosophy on top of the major and more total credits than most schools. You also have to earn more than half of the credits needed to graduate at St. John’s. I would be surprised if he managed that.

Poison

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2020, 11:36:47 AM »
2019-20 In 29 MPG-

PTS   
REB
AST
FG%

If he plays the same minutes this season those numbers are going up. With Salnave plus Cole and Wusu at the wing his minutes are getting cut down however.

When defenses started to give him room to shoot, his numbers went down. I don’t think this kind of player is the answer for us at any position. He’s just too out of control. But let’s see what kind of senior year he has.

He should be working on his handle and especially his three point shot, but that brings up a rather unfortunate challenge in that hoops have been taken down all over NY.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 11:45:00 AM by Poison »

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2020, 11:37:25 AM »
I have not been a big fan of Mike Anderson. That being said majority of the transfers your boy got were head cases. Thus , the reason they were transfers. Mike Anderson most likely will recruit players similar to Norm but with better results on the court.

jr49

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2020, 12:10:39 PM »
Anderson just got here. He will get chances to reqruit over guys and he will. No more 6 player teams. We got a coach.

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2020, 03:04:12 PM »
Mike Anderson will not recruit well here. Even with full backing from the AD/administration, many more resources in place for the program, and more money, they will be digging for the "diamonds in the rough". Middle of the pack stuff. They haven't made inroads with the '21 class either. This is the unfortunate reality. I think Demeo and Macon are decent assistants but not dynamic recruiters for a program in need of some.

Our future depends on Posh Alexander... let's hope he excels quickly. Cole,Moore, Williams,Roberts,Earlington,Caraher, Dunn, Toro, Salnave (?) will all be gone in the next two years. Can we keep replacing guys with two year jucos and grad transfers? Then waiting for lower level HS recruits to develop as upperclassmen? 

Wods317

« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2020, 05:08:46 PM »
Anderson has been at the job a shade over a year. The ‘20 class with two local three stars who seem to fit his style of play and two Juco AA seems solid for having not much time to recruit and build relationships. ‘21 is where I will be a harsher judge. The jury is still out, the mans first full class hasn’t hit campus yet. Anyone all in or all out in this staffs recruiting is not letting it play out. In a year when we have an idea of the talent level of this class and we know who we have for ‘21 I think we will start to get a clearer picture.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 05:09:03 PM by Wods317 »

Marillac

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2020, 05:17:16 PM »
Not quite, you said this will be the first year he will finish below .500. :angel:

I disagree , Rah and Rutherford are Big East players. Rah gets to the hole almost at will. Rutherford is big time defensively ,both players rebound well and have good motors.
Neither are starters at this level I will admit that.
Spears on the other hand , had the best style on the team  :crazy2:
If LJ  :'( is out I would prefer we grab a kid that is trying to reclassify from 2021 to 2020.
I am hearing the NCAA will not be as strict on admission into colleges this school year, therefore  some 2021 players  are taking full advantage and are bolting early with the lack of AAU to show their stuff.

Rutherford was not a Big East player by any means. Salnave is much better. Rutherford player behind him at Monmouth as a 4th year junior with experience at a higher level when Salnave was a soph.

Rutherford competed extremely hard but was not close to acceptable at this level.

Marillac

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2020, 05:23:29 PM »
Mike Anderson will not recruit well here. Even with full backing from the AD/administration, many more resources in place for the program, and more money, they will be digging for the "diamonds in the rough". Middle of the pack stuff. They haven't made inroads with the '21 class either. This is the unfortunate reality. I think Demeo and Macon are decent assistants but not dynamic recruiters for a program in need of some.

Our future depends on Posh Alexander... let's hope he excels quickly. Cole,Moore, Williams,Roberts,Earlington,Caraher, Dunn, Toro, Salnave (?) will all be gone in the next two years. Can we keep replacing guys with two year jucos and grad transfers? Then waiting for lower level HS recruits to develop as upperclassmen? 

I also think it’s clear Anderson won’t be competing for top recruits. I don’t think that is even debatable at this point.

My hope is that he can find enough talent in less competitive recruiting environments like JUCO and the transfer market to combine with athletic raw types like Wusu other teams don’t really want.

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2020, 07:49:42 PM »

He sign two of best players , playing for the best High school in New York City OSL , Bronx last (would of love to see them play Archbishop Stepinac)   . Sounds like he made connections within his first few months to pull that off.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 07:53:01 PM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2020, 11:56:14 PM »
I also think it’s clear Anderson won’t be competing for top recruits. I don’t think that is even debatable at this point.

My hope is that he can find enough talent in less competitive recruiting environments like JUCO and the transfer market to combine with athletic raw types like Wusu other teams don’t really want.

The problem is they haven't been in the top of the transfer market either. They're getting  lower level schools and not from the power conferences. That's fine to fill roles,  but not to replace higher talent like Heron,LJ etc...  Staff needs a few big time players in the next recruiting class... if not I would be worried.

Wods317

« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2020, 07:45:28 AM »
The problem is they haven't been in the top of the transfer market either. They're getting  lower level schools and not from the power conferences. That's fine to fill roles,  but not to replace higher talent like Heron,LJ etc...  Staff needs a few big time players in the next recruiting class... if not I would be worried.

I think that’s a fair assessment. If they don’t land some impact hs players in ‘21 and again in ‘22 when our junior class of this upcoming season graduates with a lot of minutes and talent the staff will have some issues.

« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2020, 08:54:52 AM »
The St Johns MO has been make the NCAAs every 4 years or so. 2011, under Dunlap and Lavin, we lost in the first round. 2015, Lavin lost in the first round and got clipped. 2019, Mullin lost in the play-in round, and got clipped.

Lavin, great recruiter, took the brand national...poor X and O/Poor Game Coach.
Mullin, great brand name, poor X and O, poor game coach, apathetic toward recruiting.
Anderson, best of the 3 X and O, best of the three in game coaching. Even though has top 20 recruiting class, some perceive a poor recruiter.

Personally, I'd rather see McGriff or Caraher stay here v pressuring anyone to leave. Especially for a one year two guard who will see limited minutes. McGriff is a Baltimore PG, he must have skills and must be tough. I hope we keep those guys on the roster.

Johnny23

« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2020, 10:10:52 AM »

I couldn't disagree more. Our future doesn't depend on one player on this current roster. Our future this coming season depends on the whole of the parts. That's the beauty of Anderson's system. He can take lesser parts and get them to exceed individual expectations. He already exceeded in Year 1 and this year he's primed to improve on Year 1's record.

You keep saying that Anderson won't recruit well here. Well he already got Champagnie who was a pleasant surprise by all accounts in Year 1. We also saw how much projects like Roberts and Earlington developed and improved in 1 year under his regime.

But yet you keep focusing on what will happen 2 years down the line. That is an invalid argument because no one knows what the hell the roster or program will look like in 2 years.

However what we do know is that this season coming up he's got an extremely deep roster with some good talent. If they win and make the dance this year or next that will most likely open the door to some better, higher ranked recruits.

And even if it doesn't he will have proven that he can build a solid program here with solid but not elite level talent. I think if he gets to the dance this year then he will start bringing in 2-3 Top 150 kids/year worst case, maybe higher rated. Again solid talent along with a proven system can yield good results.

« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2020, 03:24:07 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille
1m

St Johns is out on Monmouth grad transfer Ray Salnave, I'm told. A scholarship it thought would open up may not after all. #sjubb

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2020, 03:24:54 PM »
Tweet from Zach saying St Johns out on Salnave with no scholarship becoming available does that mean LJ returning?

QuanMan

« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2020, 03:51:32 PM »
It appears that we were all jumping the gun on McGriff, open ship was resting on LJF decision all along. Still has to play out but this is potentially very good news.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2020, 04:33:25 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille

St Johns is out on Monmouth grad transfer Ray Salnave, I'm told. A scholarship it thought would open up may not after all. #sjubb
LJ🤯
Some of the best sports news during the Quarantine ,along with the Giant’s amazing draft.
Hope Ray goes to DePaul and lights up everyone but us!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 05:31:34 PM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

QuanMan

« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2020, 04:49:40 PM »

Adam Zagoria

@AdamZagoria

Can confirm this is true. The expectation is that LJ Figueroa will remain in school and
@StJohnsBBall
 has no ships left.

WE ARE
Section 3
Section 116

Poison

« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2020, 07:20:18 PM »
If Posh can play, (it appears he can) and Cole is more Bootsy than Ahmed, this team will be competitive.

Posh, Cole and LJ and then we can go Penny and Roberts or Toro.

What say you Jungle?
How good is that line up?

Foad

« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2020, 07:49:19 PM »
Good riddance. I don't even know who stayed who didn't but it's addition by subtraction regardless. Trust the process.