Providence Game Discussion

• 349 replies

Moose

Re: Providence Game Discussion
« Reply #340 on: March 05, 2013, 11:35:56 AM »
I've been calling for Phil to sit since we had 6 guys. I mean what is Phil's stregnth on the court??

Taking care of the basketball, defense and free throw shooting.

Yes
Overrated
Gets to the line sooooo often

Not overrated defensively.  Never gets beat off the dribble and always stays between his man and the basket.

You do realize we've played zone probably 70 percent of the year

Yes.  While we're in that zone - if an opponent is driibling the basketball in your section of the zone are you a) supposed to guard him and try to prevent him from dribbling by you on his way to the basket or b) just stand still, let him run by you and hope that Opekpa can block his shot?

I apologize in advance if I'm not understanding a perimiter players role in our zone.

I apologize as well in advance as I don't claim to be a basketball expert. 

That being said I think we rarely have that issue.  Our guys don't rotate as the ball is swung around the perimeter and we leave guys wide open for jumpshot.

Continue to dream the dream that Phil Greene is something he isn't.  One day I hope to eat crow.  However I think I'm pretty safe for the rest of this year and next.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #341 on: March 05, 2013, 11:40:02 AM »
I've been calling for Phil to sit since we had 6 guys. I mean what is Phil's stregnth on the court??

Yes
Overrated

Not overrated defensively.  Never gets beat off the dribble and always stays between his man and the basket.

Yes.  While we're in that zone - if an opponent is driibling the basketball in your section of the zone are you a) supposed to guard him and try to prevent him from dribbling by you on his way to the basket or b) just stand still, let him run by you and hope that Opekpa can block his shot?

I apologize in advance if I'm not understanding a perimiter players role in our zone.

That being said I think we rarely have that issue.  Our guys don't rotate as the ball is swung around the perimeter and we leave guys wide open for jumpshot.

Continue to dream the dream that Phil Greene is something he isn't.  One day I hope to eat crow.  However I think I'm pretty safe for the rest of this year and next.

Actually, you know quite a bit, because you just hit on a key hole in our zone d. We don't always rotate. The biggest culprit of this is Sampson. He is often beginning his rotation just as the shooter is putting up the shot. (meaning it's a wide open jumper)

tnice

« Reply #342 on: March 05, 2013, 11:49:02 AM »
Just bench him and use him sparingly to win games then say goodby without all the fanfare. 

Right...because the last time he did that to a player who wasnt getting with the program you were totally cool with it.

(facepalm)

Moose

« Reply #343 on: March 05, 2013, 12:01:33 PM »
Just bench him and use him sparingly to win games then say goodby without all the fanfare. 

Right...because the last time he did that to a player who wasnt getting with the program you were totally cool with it.

(facepalm)

Zinggggggggg
Remember who broke the Slice news

boo3

« Reply #344 on: March 05, 2013, 12:19:16 PM »

(facepalm)

Hahaha...great post

« Reply #345 on: March 05, 2013, 02:03:43 PM »

(facepalm)

Hahaha...great post

Great post my behind.  I was never cool with that and I'm still not.  The point is that anything is better than suspending your best player with three games to go in the season. When you do things like that you just give the competition fuel to use against you when recruiting.  What exactly was accomplished of a positive nature with the maneuver?  The stupid look on Lavin's face when he realized he blew the PC game by not playing his two best shooters really said it all.  I don't know what DLo did but I do know that Lavin put his ego ahead of the interests of the team. How do you motivate your team after doing that?  The kids always know who should be playing and the coach should too.  Bottom line is that he recruited him and his personality quirks were well known from the getgo.  Benching a kid is quite enough punishment for all but the most serious offenses.  Like they say your record says what kind of job you did and DLo's stats will be much better than Lavin's at season's end.

« Reply #346 on: March 05, 2013, 02:05:57 PM »
^^ You can't be serious!

tnice

« Reply #347 on: March 05, 2013, 02:22:02 PM »

(facepalm)

Hahaha...great post

I don't know what DLo did but I do know that Lavin put his ego ahead of the interests of the team.

I have no idea what DLo did, but its all Lavin's fault.

Awesome! Keep going!

derk

« Reply #348 on: March 05, 2013, 02:31:47 PM »

Yes
Overrated

Also we throw lazy passes. On the odd chance that the defense is slow to rotate to one of our guards, we throw lazy passes which allow the defense to catch up to the ball. At that point a potential unguarded shot becomes guarded, or a slow pass allows the defense to catch up. Look alive, throw crisp passes. You can do it !

boo3

« Reply #349 on: March 05, 2013, 02:33:23 PM »
 Bobre- Can I have your marquette tickets?   ;D