Providence Game Discussion

• 349 replies
Re: Providence Game Discussion
« Reply #300 on: March 03, 2013, 09:16:03 PM »
Simplyred, that still won't solve our shooting problems though. We can't have either pure shooting or post scorers...we need a mix. Look at UConn...they have the 3 guards who can shoot and penetrate, then they have the big German guys who bang down low and rebound. That's what I want us to emulate.

Emulate a team we beat?

Havin a low post threat will improve our shooting most certainly.

We got none (except CJ who it a few hooks in November).

Disagree. Even with a low post beast, we have no shooters to prevent people from zoning us and no point guard. We have a bunch of wings which it seems is what Lavin wants. I like Branch but he is not a true point guard. He doesn't really create for others and a little sloppy with the ball. Not confident that Greene and Branch will be able to run any offense. Despite what Robbins article said, if I were to bet I bet Harrison is gone.

« Reply #301 on: March 03, 2013, 09:20:54 PM »
Harrison said he is coming back as per the Post.

Edit: sorry missed the last part you put. But it seems like a foregone clear conclusion to me that he's staying. He essentially announced it. What guesswork is there left?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 09:21:46 PM by RedStormyNight »

« Reply #302 on: March 03, 2013, 09:23:55 PM »
Simplyred, that still won't solve our shooting problems though. We can't have either pure shooting or post scorers...we need a mix. Look at UConn...they have the 3 guards who can shoot and penetrate, then they have the big German guys who bang down low and rebound. That's what I want us to emulate.

Emulate a team we beat?

Disagree. Even with a low post beast, we have no shooters to prevent people from zoning us and no point guard. We have a bunch of wings which it seems is what Lavin wants. I like Branch but he is not a true point guard. He doesn't really create for others and a little sloppy with the ball. Not confident that Greene and Branch will be able to run any offense. Despite what Robbins article said, if I were to bet I bet Harrison is gone.

Branch isn't a pure point?  Did you watch the first 10 minutes or so yesterday?  Dude was firing pin point passes all over the place. In my opinion his biggest problem is lack of game experience. He didn't play a ton at A&M and then this year hasn't gone smoothly. Next year he should be able to be more consistent.

Moose

« Reply #303 on: March 03, 2013, 09:25:54 PM »

Emulate a team we beat?

Branch isn't a pure point?  Did you watch the first 10 minutes or so yesterday?  Dude was firing pin point passes all over the place. In my opinion his biggest problem is lack of game experience. He didn't play a ton at A&M and then this year hasn't gone smoothly. Next year he should be able to be more consistent.

In transition yes he is without a question.  However in our half court offense he seems a bit lost to me.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #304 on: March 03, 2013, 09:28:27 PM »

Emulate a team we beat?

Good player and I like him but seems more of a combo guard. Plus he is a little sloppy with the dribble. Like you said he hasn't really played much the last two seasons so maybe he proves me wrong. Again I like Branch, but I think you need a dynamic point or scorer to make this offense look competent.

« Reply #305 on: March 03, 2013, 09:30:54 PM »

Edit: sorry missed the last part you put. But it seems like a foregone clear conclusion to me that he's staying. He essentially announced it. What guesswork is there left?

I have spoken to Lenn Robbins. Lets just say he is not exactly Woodward or Bernstein.

« Reply #306 on: March 03, 2013, 09:37:04 PM »

I have spoken to Lenn Robbins. Lets just say he is not exactly Woodward or Bernstein.

Immediately after Lavin announced to Harrison he was being suspended, Lavin said he interrupted him and told him "I'm finishing my career here...I'm getting my degree here" without as much as a prompt from Lavin. His family comes to the city to check on him, grandma talks with Lavin, and the report is that Harrison's definitely staying. Everything is consistent with what coach said. Not sure why you think there might be a conspiracy theory in a rather straightfoward event.

« Reply #307 on: March 03, 2013, 09:45:10 PM »

Immediately after Lavin announced to Harrison he was being suspended, Lavin said he interrupted him and told him "I'm finishing my career here...I'm getting my degree here" without as much as a prompt from Lavin. His family comes to the city to check on him, grandma talks with Lavin, and the report is that Harrison's definitely staying. Everything is consistent with what coach said. Not sure why you think there might be a conspiracy theory in a rather straightfoward event.

Purely speculative on my part but I will share my reasons.
1. Harrison is very competitive and if the suspension is warranted a bit of a jerk. (no secret I am a Harrison fan and only going by what others are saying). So based on that you would think he has a chip on his shoulder and transfering would give him the last word.
2. Harrison is a good college basketball player. Other coaches I am sure smell blood in the water.
3. If Lavin let it come to this you have to think he realizes that Harrison transfering is an option and he still suspended him. Base on that I am not sure how much he wants him back.
My take on why Harrison and Lavin don't mesh is Lavin came here as a savior and judging by some posters and the media he has probably gotten used to people kissing his ass. Harrison is probably a pain but he is a cocky 20 year old who probably only knew Lavin from ESPN.   
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 09:46:50 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #308 on: March 03, 2013, 09:51:29 PM »

1. Harrison is very competitive and if the suspension is warranted a bit of a jerk. (no secret I am a Harrison fan and only going by what others are saying). So based on that you would think he has a chip on his shoulder and transfering would give him the last word.
2. Harrison is a good college basketball player. Other coaches I am sure smell blood in the water.
3. If Lavin let it come to this you have to think he realizes that Harrison transfering is an option and he still suspended him. Base on that I am not sure how much he wants him back.
My take on why Harrison and Lavin don't mesh is Lavin came here as a savior and judging by some posters and the media he has probably gotten used to people kissing his ass. Harrison is probably a pain but he is a cocky 20 year old who probably only knew Lavin from ESPN.   

Plausible. BUT what if Harrison is so cocky he didnt think he would have to play for years before going pro and now if he has to sit out a year then at best he'd be playing 4 years and maybe 5 years.

So change he changes his behavior and play immediately and best case scenario for him he plays 1 more year or worst case it's 2

« Reply #309 on: March 03, 2013, 09:56:14 PM »

Plausible. BUT what if Harrison is so cocky he didnt think he would have to play for years before going pro and now if he has to sit out a year then at best he'd be playing 4 years and maybe 5 years.

So change he changes his behavior and play immediately and best case scenario for him he plays 1 more year or worst case it's 2

I hope he comes back. Again just my opinion but when a relationship gets to this point it is tough to come back. Hope I am wrong.

« Reply #310 on: March 04, 2013, 12:48:58 AM »
I've been calling for Phil to sit since we had 6 guys. I mean what is Phil's stregnth on the court??

Taking care of the basketball, defense and free throw shooting.

Moose

« Reply #311 on: March 04, 2013, 12:49:52 AM »
I've been calling for Phil to sit since we had 6 guys. I mean what is Phil's stregnth on the court??

Yes
Overrated
Gets to the line sooooo often

« Reply #312 on: March 04, 2013, 01:13:05 AM »

Yes
Overrated

Not overrated defensively.  Never gets beat off the dribble and always stays between his man and the basket.

« Reply #313 on: March 04, 2013, 01:27:33 AM »
Needing a last minute game winning three yesterday while having D'lo suspended was cruel and unusual punishment.

We deserved better than this.

Moose

« Reply #314 on: March 04, 2013, 01:44:54 AM »

Yes
Overrated

Not overrated defensively.  Never gets beat off the dribble and always stays between his man and the basket.

You do realize we've played zone probably 70 percent of the year

« Reply #315 on: March 04, 2013, 08:06:02 AM »
Needing a last minute game winning three yesterday while having D'lo suspended was cruel and unusual punishment.

We deserved better than this.

bourgault would hav provided a higher percentage three point shot.  just not from the bench.

« Reply #316 on: March 04, 2013, 08:08:00 AM »

so have i.  he's not even jimmy olsen.

« Reply #317 on: March 04, 2013, 10:15:48 AM »

Yes
Overrated

Your post is a perfect example of why he is overrated. I actually think the majority of our defenders are overrated. I like Phil's D because he doesn't take stupid chances for the most part.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

derk

« Reply #318 on: March 04, 2013, 10:31:47 AM »

Yes, can't see him as the sit out type. He'd go nuts not being able to play next year. So he gets his act together, plays another year or two and everybody is happy, including grandma.

« Reply #319 on: March 04, 2013, 12:24:33 PM »
I think we've seen the last of DLo and rightfully so.  Lavin's stunt was unheard of and the last news we needed trying to make something out of the end of the season.  Just bench him and use him sparingly to win games then say goodby without all the fanfare.  These are not paid employees and they deserve some understanding when things go awry.  Shame on Lavin for making this back page news.  Saint Johns has had enough of that and this was the last thing we needed.  I'm going to have a hard time rooting for this program after this and the old "have patience" pitch should have been followed by the coach.  Instead he inflicted max harm on the kid's reputation and his own for that matter. Screw it.  Let's just lose out and see what happens next year.  Going to burn my Marquette tics rather than travel to see this crippled team go down in person.  Right now Lavin's puss just turns me off.