Villanova game thread

• 613 replies

Moose

Re: Villanova game thread
« Reply #600 on: January 04, 2013, 08:34:21 PM »
Someone should go back to see what this board was saying about Dulap at this time last year. The lynch party for him was out and snorting back then. Now he was the indispensable cog. How quickly the fans forget. Simply because Lavin was not on the bench last year does not mean he was not dictating to his staff what the plan was, in all its nuances.

We have the best fan base in college basketball.  The most astute, basketball educated, levelheaded, diehard fans out there.
Didn't you know that?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 08:34:36 PM by Moose »
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #601 on: January 04, 2013, 08:38:52 PM »
I would caution blaming the Coach for the players' lack of excution. If Coach designs a play were D'Lo comes off a down screen to get open for the ball and he doesn't get it, is that the Coach's fault? Green, Pointer, and Garrett (love his heart) deserve limited minutes. Marco shouldn't even see the floor. As a team, defensively, they are not playing together and that is on Coach.   

It was playing Phil at the point in the waning minutes of regulation that was on Coach. Phil cannot execute at the point, especially in the halfcourt, like Jamal can.

So while it's on the players to execute, it's on Coach to have the right players on the floor to execute in the most efficient manner possible.

Agreed but Phil hit some big shots down the stretch that got us to OT, you cant have it both ways

Him hitting shots has nothing to do with Choz statement..He is an off guard, plain and simple...he will thrive in that role...not as a PG...Ball should have been in Branch's hands...it cost us the game...

Phil is a great asset andfilled in admirably while we were without a PG...needs to be used corrcetly now...

It costing us the game I believe is a strong statement. We scored 83 points at the end of regulation, not 63. Although Jamal maybe a better option at the point we still scored enough to win, scoring wasn't the issue. The problem was our defense, if we stop them, we win. That cost us the game.

Defense was a problem but we absolutely faltered on offense down the stretch and could/should have expanded our lead...Greene just doesn't create 

« Reply #602 on: January 04, 2013, 08:46:05 PM »
That's it.  We're done.

Using the same time honored tradition of allowing the board to choose for me that brought me to revere Avery "Single game three-point record holder" Patterson and Paris "Hilton" Horne as my favorite Johnnies; Phil "Mr. Greenjeans" Greene lV is now officially my favorite player on this years model. 

Deangelo "D'lo or 3'lo" Harrison is 2nd place in the standings.

The board has spoken.  Thank you!

I think the criticism is more towards Lavin playing Green at the point. At least mine is. Greene is a good player , he is just not a point guard. He would not be a good Center either and probably wouldn't be a good marine biologist. He is being put in a tough spot, but he should not play there any longer or practice marine biology.

Agree. I like Greene and think he will thrive once he is playing off the ball...Doing the salsa at the top of the key and hitting the throttle on fast breaks is maddening...he could be consistent double digit scrorer off the ball...So, not a knock on him...just a fish out of water

gman

« Reply #603 on: January 04, 2013, 08:55:19 PM »
We have a legend coach on the bench in keady. I'm sure dunlap is missed but its not like we have 5 bums on the bench. Has anyonee actually seen a practice? I can't imagine the staff doesn't teach rebounding and defense.

gman

« Reply #604 on: January 04, 2013, 08:56:47 PM »
That's it.  We're done.

Using the same time honored tradition of allowing the board to choose for me that brought me to revere Avery "Single game three-point record holder" Patterson and Paris "Hilton" Horne as my favorite Johnnies; Phil "Mr. Greenjeans" Greene lV is now officially my favorite player on this years model. 

Deangelo "D'lo or 3'lo" Harrison is 2nd place in the standings.

The board has spoken.  Thank you!

I think the criticism is more towards Lavin playing Green at the point. At least mine is. Greene is a good player , he is just not a point guard. He would not be a good Center either and probably wouldn't be a good marine biologist. He is being put in a tough spot, but he should not play there any longer or practice marine biology.

Agree. I like Greene and think he will thrive once he is playing off the ball...Doing the salsa at the top of the key and hitting the throttle on fast breaks is maddening...he could be consistent double digit scrorer off the ball...So, not a knock on him...just a fish out of water

I think green needs to be a 15 minute change of pace guy off the bench. He could be an ideal spark guy.

SJUFAN

« Reply #605 on: January 04, 2013, 10:12:52 PM »
We don't get stops and we don't rebound, how much running could we do? Hard to run when you are taking the ball out of the net.

yes, i know, that's what i said.  I was suggesting we press for the full 40 minutes and try to create as many turnovers as possible, since we can't stop teams from making 70% from 3 or rebound.    We have enough bodies to run in and out.  It's worth a shot and would at least be entertaining.

I worry about two things.  Basketball IQ and fouls.

Yeah, the fouls thing could be an issue, but I think there are enough bodies.  The IQ thing doesn't worry me too much.  If we play helter skelter there is less time to actually use their IQ. They are reacting and playing, rather than thinking....

It may not work, but neither is what is happening now.

Dunlap's absence is definitely being missed on defense. Our help defense and rotation is atrocious. Its still early, but Coach's decision to choose Martin as Dunlap's replacement hasn't panned out yet. I'm curious to know what Martin will bring to the program.

Don't you think it's a little unfair to compare Martin to a guy who just left for the NBA?   I'm not saying Martin is contributing in a major way... But who is anyone to say he isn't ?  How come the rest of the staff isn't being viewed this way ?  Who is to say what anyone brings to this program ?

It wasn't my intention to compare Martin to Dunlap, that was not my point. There are plenty of experienced coaches on the bench so I'm not trying to single him out. There is no excuse for what is happening on the defensive end. However, considering how much they are struggling defensively it made me wonder what Martin brings. I believe we have an idea what each coach brings with the exception of Martin. I'm not saying he doesn't bring anything, but its a fair question to ask what exactly it is. 

Happy

« Reply #606 on: January 04, 2013, 10:40:41 PM »
We don't get stops and we don't rebound, how much running could we do? Hard to run when you are taking the ball out of the net.

yes, i know, that's what i said.  I was suggesting we press for the full 40 minutes and try to create as many turnovers as possible, since we can't stop teams from making 70% from 3 or rebound.    We have enough bodies to run in and out.  It's worth a shot and would at least be entertaining.

Yeah, the fouls thing could be an issue, but I think there are enough bodies.  The IQ thing doesn't worry me too much.  If we play helter skelter there is less time to actually use their IQ. They are reacting and playing, rather than thinking....

Dunlap's absence is definitely being missed on defense. Our help defense and rotation is atrocious. Its still early, but Coach's decision to choose Martin as Dunlap's replacement hasn't panned out yet. I'm curious to know what Martin will bring to the program.

Don't you think it's a little unfair to compare Martin to a guy who just left for the NBA?   I'm not saying Martin is contributing in a major way... But who is anyone to say he isn't ?  How come the rest of the staff isn't being viewed this way ?  Who is to say what anyone brings to this program ?

It wasn't my intention to compare Martin to Dunlap, that was not my point. There are plenty of experienced coaches on the bench so I'm not trying to single him out. There is no excuse for what is happening on the defensive end. However, considering how much they are struggling defensively it made me wonder what Martin brings. I believe we have an idea what each coach brings with the exception of Martin. I'm not saying he doesn't bring anything, but its a fair question to ask what exactly it is.

Nobody has a clue what any of the coaches do with the exception of Chiles because he is on the road often recruiting.  Explain to me what the other coaches do .. And don't tell me there resume. ???

SJUFAN

« Reply #607 on: January 04, 2013, 11:46:24 PM »

Nobody has a clue what any of the coaches do with the exception of Chiles because he is on the road often recruiting.  Explain to me what the other coaches do .. And don't tell me there resume. ???

I can't tell you what they do, I'll tell you what they bring. Hines brings player development...he's the workout guru. If professional players' seek him out for his workouts, that's a very powerful recruiting tool for a young player with aspirations of playing in the league. Chiles is the foot solider, table setter, does the dirty work. Lavin is best of breed. He understands how to build relationships and leverage those relationships for the betterment of the program. He knows how to run a big time program, how to do all "the little things".....he's the Closer! Hicks brings his Metro area connections, Gene brings his experience. Martin?????? Look our problems are not because of Martin, and I dont want to take anything away from him, it's just the teams struggle had me thinking.   

Poison

« Reply #608 on: January 05, 2013, 01:02:41 AM »
Someone should go back to see what this board was saying about Dulap at this time last year. The lynch party for him was out and snorting back then. Now he was the indispensable cog. How quickly the fans forget. Simply because Lavin was not on the bench last year does not mean he was not dictating to his staff what the plan was, in all its nuances.

Mike landed a great job. I wish him well. But tell me, should we be proud of where our players and coaches move on to and not consider their success at St.John's? This is a college basketball program.

When will it be time for St.John's to accomplish something?

« Reply #609 on: January 05, 2013, 10:30:18 PM »
That was tough one to stomach remind me of the knick lost to the Kings Friday. Battle back only to lose by a few dumb plays and the home court calls was blatant! I am calling it now we beat Cincinnati. Call your bookies!

We are not beating Cinci in Cinci two years in a row
I

Told ya : )
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

Moose

« Reply #610 on: January 05, 2013, 11:38:15 PM »
That was tough one to stomach remind me of the knick lost to the Kings Friday. Battle back only to lose by a few dumb plays and the home court calls was blatant! I am calling it now we beat Cincinnati. Call your bookies!

I

And actually its 3 yrs in a row down there.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #611 on: January 05, 2013, 11:53:47 PM »

I

And actually its 3 yrs in a row down there.

That's right and all three were tight with SJU losing a lead late and then winning it at the end.  I believe the game two years ago SJU blew a late lead then got a huge call on a missed free throw for a Cincy lane violation and eventually won.  Last year I believe they blew a 10 point lead, gave up a late 3 to tie and then the Moe tip in to win it.  And now this year.

Also if you take out the Cincy blowout at MSG last year 5 of the last 6 games between the two have literally gone down to the final seconds.  If you remember Norm's last season saw a ugly game at MSG where Cincy failed to inbound a ball cleanly and lost on free throws by Hardy at the end.  Cincy beat Lavin at Carnesecca in a tight game in Lavin's first season where SJU missed a bunch of free throws at the end before SJU repaid the favor in Cincy later in the season.

pmg911

« Reply #612 on: January 06, 2013, 07:08:28 PM »
We beat Cinci.

Look at Lav's track record at UCLA.

Loses games he's not suppose to, then wins games he's not suppose to --- often on the road.

Choz - we disagree on something once in a while but I rarely question your "basketball thoughs" but because they are usually VERY good.

Cincy is going to smoke us

Have to admit when you make a bad call, nice call Choz - never thought we had a prayer to beat Cincy on the road..

« Reply #613 on: January 19, 2013, 07:47:49 PM »
Not sure what people are constantly whining about?  We shot well, and were in position to win tonight.  Foul situation was huge in Nova's favor, and nobody can deny that.  What was wrong with the coaching?  This was a war and a lopsided reffing job pushed us over the edge.

Sure, why would anyone complain about losing a game to a team that was blown out by Columbia.  You have got to be kidding right?

So today St. Bonaventure beat Temple in Philly.  Temple beat SU on a neutral floor.  SU beat No. 1 Louisville today on the road.

So by your logic not only does Temple suck and their fans should be furious but I think you can make a case the Bonnies should be no. 1.