2016-2017 Schedule

• 254 replies
Re: 2016-2017 Schedule
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2016, 04:25:23 PM »
It has nothing to do with one player - you know that.  We don't schedule the local mid majors with good squads for the same reasons that every other big conference school largely avoids the same.  They choose Fordham because it plays in the A-10.

Let's go, stop dodging Iona. AJ English graduated

Moose

« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2016, 04:26:44 PM »
We will not be playing a marquee out of conference game at MSG this year.

We will start a home and home versus UCONN in 2017-2018 season, probably on road with Syracuse being home.
Why is that ? Getting a big time team would sell tickets and make money. Ohio state, Michigan, or an ACC team would do well.

Sell tickets for who?  The opponent?

I get that you can't stand the influx of Cuse fans when we play them at MSG.  And I have no doubt it will be the same thing when we restart the UCONN series.
But don't you want to see us play an exciting team we don't normally see in person?     Michigan State, Indiana, UCLA, Gonzaga... I don't care.   It's not like those teams will pack the place like Cuse does.

I don't get how trotting a premier opponent out there to season ticket holders does anything when at the end of the day they will just pack out the place.  See Cuse and Duke.  I'm sure it will be the same when we play Uconn.

Sure let's schedule someone else but doesn't seem like teams are knocking down doors to come here.  besides they can play at MSG how many other days a season and not involve us.
Remember who broke the Slice news

goredmen

« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2016, 04:29:37 PM »

Never gonna happen and you know that

It's a shame and embarrassing

Yeah, we get it. You've said it before, and the fact that you keep bringing it up even though you know there's no chance of it happening sounds like, dare I say, trolling.

While most of us would like to see St. John's play Iona every year, the fact is there is literally nothing SJU has to gain by scheduling a series with Iona so they are right not to do it

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2016, 04:39:53 PM »

Yeah, we get it. You've said it before, and the fact that you keep bringing it up even though you know there's no chance of it happening sounds like, dare I say, trolling.

While most of us would like to see St. John's play Iona every year, the fact is there is literally nothing SJU has to gain by scheduling a series with Iona so they are right not to do it

Ya especially when Niagara is readily available. Those games are always exciting. Can't wait for that ST Johns/ Binghamton game.

goredmen

« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2016, 04:46:54 PM »

Ya especially when Niagara is readily available. Those games are always exciting. Can't wait for that ST Johns/ Binghamton game.

Again, everybody would love to see a SJU/Iona game, there's no denying that. However Iona has a decent chance to beat SJU on any given season so there's no way SJU would start a series with them. I know that and you know that.

If the staff's goal is to make the NCAA tournament next season and they are realistic with themselves, they would know we would most likely be a bubble team at best. So why in the hell would schedule a game against a MAAC team that can beat them when instead they can schedule an easy win. Beating Iona does nothing for the SJU resume. Losing to them isn't a good look. If they (and every other big conference school) are going to schedule tough non-conference games, they will be in preseason tournaments and against other big conference teams. It's the right thing to do and there's a reason all big conference teams do that

« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2016, 04:54:00 PM »

Again, everybody would love to see a SJU/Iona game, there's no denying that. However Iona has a decent chance to beat SJU on any given season so there's no way SJU would start a series with them. I know that and you know that.

If the staff's goal is to make the NCAA tournament next season and they are realistic with themselves, they would know we would most likely be a bubble team at best. So why in the hell would schedule a game against a MAAC team that can beat them when instead they can schedule an easy win. Beating Iona does nothing for the SJU resume. Losing to them isn't a good look. If they (and every other big conference school) are going to schedule tough non-conference games, they will be in preseason tournaments and against other big conference teams. It's the right thing to do and there's a reason all big conference teams do that

I know I'm beating the dead horse, but how does beating Longwood and Binghamton help the chances of a bubble team?

goredmen

« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2016, 05:03:22 PM »

I know I'm beating the dead horse, but how does beating Longwood and Binghamton help the chances of a bubble team?

They don't, but neither does beating Iona aside from a very slight bump to the RPI. So why schedule Iona when you have a chance to lose to them instead of Longwood and Binghamton when they are easy wins.

It's risk/reward. The reward of beating Iona isn't as great as the risk of losing to them which is a definite possibility
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 05:04:17 PM by goredmen »

« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2016, 05:15:39 PM »

Well his eligibility is up anyway

« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2016, 05:28:55 PM »

Well his eligibility is up anyway

Graduating on time

Marillac

« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2016, 05:31:49 PM »

Wins. You need a minimum # of wins before your schedule is even considered. If next year's schedule is being scrutinized by the committee then a lot of stuff went very right and we should all be very happy.

TONYD3

« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2016, 05:41:13 PM »
Iona is not a mid major. They are a local team who has had some success. They should never be ducked. Not saying we should ever travel to New Rochelle but we should play them. We should also play Hosftra, Manhattan, and other local schools.

Wods317

« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2016, 06:12:14 PM »
Iona is not a mid major. They are a local team who has had some success. They should never be ducked. Not saying we should ever travel to New Rochelle but we should play them. We should also play Hosftra, Manhattan, and other local schools.

I agree with you but I also see why they don't do it. As a fan I would love to see battles with local schools and I think a lot of fans feel that way. For the school and the coaching staff those are no win games. We go out an beat Hofstra by 20 everyone goes okay you should beat them say we lose even on a buzzer beater the article the next day are all about the huge upset and how its a game we need to win. We shouldn't be afraid of losing to these schools but I think what I said could be a big reason they don't play them.

« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2016, 06:32:06 PM »

I agree with you but I also see why they don't do it. As a fan I would love to see battles with local schools and I think a lot of fans feel that way. For the school and the coaching staff those are no win games. We go out an beat Hofstra by 20 everyone goes okay you should beat them say we lose even on a buzzer beater the article the next day are all about the huge upset and how its a game we need to win. We shouldn't be afraid of losing to these schools but I think what I said could be a big reason they don't play them.

Would people consider it a huge upset nowadays?

« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2016, 06:54:54 PM »

Wins help a team with a top 30 SOS get to the bubble on the first place. The schedule is sufficiently challenging.

TONYD3

« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2016, 07:02:42 PM »
If losing to Iona knocks us off any bubble. We don't belong in any tournament. the benefits of playing local good teams in my mind far out weigh any negatives .

Wods317

« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2016, 07:10:23 PM »

Would people consider it a huge upset nowadays?

Remove the word huge, that was an overstatement. Even though we haven't played like it we are still the big dogs in New York and the media would treat it like a sizable upset even if it isn't.

Wods317

« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2016, 07:11:07 PM »
If losing to Iona knocks us off any bubble. We don't belong in any tournament. the benefits of playing local good teams in my mind far out weigh any negatives .

Agree with you was just providing the thoughts that people against it might have within the school.

goredmen

« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2016, 07:12:37 PM »

What exactly are the benefits?

TONYD3

« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2016, 07:30:48 PM »

Playing Binghamton has zero fan interest. Playing Iona would be better. Not amazing but better. Playing speedy Claxton and Hofstra gerarated some Interest. Playing Manhattan with Luis Flores were some good games. We lost more then We should have to those teams. But they didn't cost us anything. We lost because we weren't very good.
From a fan standpoint. I would rather play Manhattan then incarnate word.
All games would have to take place on campus. No reason to give any school a home game. No reason to embrass ourselves and play at MSG or Barclays .
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 07:33:24 PM by TONYD3 »

Poison

« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2016, 08:55:03 PM »

Playing Binghamton has zero fan interest. Playing Iona would be better. Not amazing but better. Playing speedy Claxton and Hofstra gerarated some Interest. Playing Manhattan with Luis Flores were some good games. We lost more then We should have to those teams. But they didn't cost us anything. We lost because we weren't very good.
From a fan standpoint. I would rather play Manhattan then incarnate word.
All games would have to take place on campus. No reason to give any school a home game. No reason to embrass ourselves and play at MSG or Barclays .

I think playing the locals is a lose lose situation for St.John's. They are supposed to be better than the locals, even though this year, we were actually the absolute worst local for the first time in our history. I'm ok w playing the locals, but not until we get our shit together. No sense in getting housed by Iona or Hofstra. We've been there and it sends a clear message to local talent that we're a joke. If we avoid them, we can do a little better at hiding how bad we are.