Mid-year transfers?

• 296 replies

Marillac

Re: Mid-year transfers?
« Reply #120 on: December 25, 2016, 11:16:07 PM »
Guys, the Sima transfer gave us a additional 2017 scholarship. If another player were to transfer, we would have to fill a additional scholarship in addition to the one we already have! Why speculate about kids who are proudly wearing the jersey and battling for this team through March when we already need to fill this newly opened scholarship to begin with?

2017 Backcourt-

PG- Marcus, Simon, ________
SG- Shamorie, Malik, Moose
SF- Bash, Rich

Seems pretty stacked and evenly distributed if you ask me.

I understand what you're saying, but the staff is out openly recruiting a starting pg.  That's a pretty clear indication something is brewing.

I agree that sometimes the fan base has a wild imagination.  But in this case, we're just discussing what's been put in front of our faces.

This kid isn't a PG nor is Simon. Every kid under 6'7 thinks they are a PG until told otherwise. I don't think recruiting a scoring combo (with ties to Clark) says anything.

Jahmal McMurray is a PG

His 6.7 three- point attempts  v. 2.0  assists per game say otherwise.

goredmen

« Reply #121 on: December 25, 2016, 11:30:23 PM »
Guys, the Sima transfer gave us a additional 2017 scholarship. If another player were to transfer, we would have to fill a additional scholarship in addition to the one we already have! Why speculate about kids who are proudly wearing the jersey and battling for this team through March when we already need to fill this newly opened scholarship to begin with?

2017 Backcourt-

SF- Bash, Rich

I understand what you're saying, but the staff is out openly recruiting a starting pg.  That's a pretty clear indication something is brewing.

I agree that sometimes the fan base has a wild imagination.  But in this case, we're just discussing what's been put in front of our faces.

This kid isn't a PG nor is Simon. Every kid under 6'7 thinks they are a PG until told otherwise. I don't think recruiting a scoring combo (with ties to Clark) says anything.

Jahmal McMurray is a PG

Stats don't exactly tell you what position he plays. He's a score first PG. He had been playing off the ball a little more this year than last year because they have Geno Thorpe now, but he was still their starting PG.

Marillac

« Reply #122 on: December 25, 2016, 11:37:41 PM »

2017 Backcourt-

SF- Bash, Rich

Jahmal McMurray is a PG

Stats don't exactly tell you what position he plays. He's a score first PG. He had been playing off the ball a little more this year than last year because they have Geno Thorpe now, but he was still their starting PG.

He's was tied for 4th on the team in assists. He only averaged 2.5 assists last year as
well. He's a classic undersized scoring guard...maybe he can be stretched into a combo guard Iike Harrison was a combo guard.

« Reply #123 on: December 25, 2016, 11:46:02 PM »

2017 Backcourt-

SF- Bash, Rich

Jahmal McMurray is a PG

He's was tied for 4th on the team in assists. He only averaged 2.5 assists last year as
well. He's a classic undersized scoring guard...maybe he can be stretched into a combo guard Iike Harrison was a combo guard.

Why are we even entertaining the thought of this guy. This is the Big East. Get better players!

« Reply #124 on: December 26, 2016, 12:15:23 AM »
Or we need to give our good young players a chance to grow up.  The successful programs in our conference, and in the country generally (putting aside the blue bloods), tend to win with upperclassmen who develop physically and mentally.  I think we have real talent on this team and that our freshman and sophs will be good players as time goes on (and some, like Ponds/Lovett, are already good right now).

We need to recruit better players

ras

« Reply #125 on: December 26, 2016, 12:15:29 AM »
W Ponds, Ellison,Simon, and Mussini. I don't see why we need another combo guard. Need a bruiser.

« Reply #126 on: December 26, 2016, 12:47:52 AM »

2017 Backcourt-

SF- Bash, Rich

Simon played PG all through hs + travel ball.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #127 on: December 26, 2016, 01:06:11 AM »

2017 Backcourt-

SF- Bash, Rich

Well this isn't hs or travel ball. He played exclusively off the ball in Arizona.

« Reply #128 on: December 26, 2016, 01:15:26 AM »

2017 Backcourt-

SF- Bash, Rich

Jahmal McMurray is a PG

Why are we even entertaining the thought of this guy. This is the Big East. Get better players!

Shamorie Ponds
Marcus Lovett
Justin Simon
Zach Brown

All top 50 players in class.

Kassoum Yakwe was top 100.

Ellison, Owens, and Clark all fringe top 100.

Mussini and Freudenberg would have been top 100 if they played in the states.

Bash was all-American juco

Just leaves Amar and D. Williams who are both 6'9 and offer different skill sets.

Talent isn't the issue.

« Reply #129 on: December 26, 2016, 01:19:54 AM »

2017 Backcourt-

SF- Bash, Rich

Well this isn't hs or travel ball. He played exclusively off the ball in Arizona.

Sure nor is it the NBA but he'd be a PG there too.

A lot of politics at UofA which is why he got out. Justin played for independent travel program. It was easy to burn bridge to Simon there vs other players from feeder teams.

He'll play off the ball here and on it too. Just like you see with Ellison at times. Can't wait for him to suit up.

goredmen

« Reply #130 on: December 26, 2016, 01:38:16 AM »
Whether or not McMurray and Simon are PGs, SGs, or combos is besides the point here. The point is that we are looking to add to a spot where we seemingly have a surplus. Let's say that everybody stays and McMurray jumps aboard. Next year our backcourt is Lovett, Ponds, Simon, McMurray, Mussini and Ellison to fill 3 spots on the court and that would be assuming Bash and Freud play exclusively at the 4 where they would probably each see time at the 3 since Clark will get minutes at the 4.

Maybe the staff is just stockpiling as much talent as they possibly could and who could blame them for that. But why would A) The staff allocate resources and a scholarship to McMurray when that time and schollie is better used on a big, and B) why would McMurray be interested in us with that stockpile of backcourt guys unless he was told it won't be that crowded at this time next year.

Somethings gotta give here.

Foad

« Reply #131 on: December 26, 2016, 07:56:33 AM »
W Ponds, Ellison,Simon, and Mussini. I don't see why we need another combo guard. Need a bruiser.

W Ponds Ellison Lovett and Simon I don't see why we need Mussini.

cjfish

« Reply #132 on: December 26, 2016, 11:21:52 AM »
Depth is good, injuries and transfers happen, I like having 5 competent guards

ras

« Reply #133 on: December 26, 2016, 11:34:25 AM »
[/quote

W Ponds Ellison Lovett and Simon I don't see why we need Mussini.
The problem is , Lovett is the one probably leaving. The S. FL. Kid wouldn't transfer here to be buried on the bench.

paultzman

« Reply #134 on: December 26, 2016, 12:07:19 PM »

Per Evan Daniels
USF transfer Jahmal McMurray is expected to visit St. John's later this week, per a source. Baylor, Texas, Va Tech, WKU, ASU & others in mix

Poison

« Reply #135 on: December 26, 2016, 12:13:22 PM »

We have 3 competent guards now. Mussini hurts us more than he helps us.

TONYD3

« Reply #136 on: December 26, 2016, 12:30:19 PM »

You don't think butler will give mussini an open look?

Marillac

« Reply #137 on: December 26, 2016, 12:48:14 PM »

2017 Backcourt-

SF- Bash, Rich

A lot of politics at UofA which is why he got out. Justin played for independent travel program. It was easy to burn bridge to Simon there vs other players from feeder teams.

He'll play off the ball here and on it too. Just like you see with Ellison at times. Can't wait for him to suit up.

Let's be clear, PG is the only option for him in the NBA due to his size and limited jumper. He's a 2/3 in college with the ability to run the offense here and there...just like Ellison. I don't think it's splitting hairs to not refer to either as a PG. They aren't. Ellison can't defend the position at all...I at least expect Simon to be able to do that well.  McMurray by all accounts is, at best, a combo guard. I'd assume him coming on board would affect Mussini the most since they are both undersized volume shooters.

I don't read anything into his recruitment.  I think Mullin just wants a solid 1-3 and is willing to roll out three guards to get it done. McMurray could be instant offense off the bench that can play a few positions. We are a mediocre team, so talent at any position will be welcome.

Poison

« Reply #138 on: December 26, 2016, 01:01:10 PM »

You don't think butler will give mussini an open look?

He's only good against the shit teams. I hope he doesn't play on Thursday. His defense is an embarrassment.

goredmen

« Reply #139 on: December 26, 2016, 01:01:28 PM »

2017 Backcourt-

SF- Bash, Rich

Let's be clear, PG is the only option for him in the NBA due to his size and limited jumper. He's a 2/3 in college with the ability to run the offense here and there...just like Ellison. I don't think it's splitting hairs to not refer to either as a PG. They aren't. Ellison can't defend the position at all...I at least expect Simon to be able to do that well.  McMurray by all accounts is, at best, a combo guard. I'd assume him coming on board would affect Mussini the most since they are both undersized volume shooters.

I don't read anything into his recruitment.  I think Mullin just wants a solid 1-3 and is willing to roll out three guards to get it done. McMurray could be instant offense off the bench that can play a few positions. We are a mediocre team, so talent at any position will be welcome.

But McMurray wouldn't leave USF, a place where he'd be guaranteed to play as many minutes as he possibly could and have a constant green light to shoot to come to a place where he'd be competing for minutes and shots with 5 other guys. The fact he's considering us makes me believe he's been told that not all 5 guys will be here by the time he's ready to suit up