Mid-year transfers?

• 296 replies

ras

Re: Mid-year transfers?
« Reply #260 on: December 28, 2016, 11:46:56 AM »
Trust me...Mullin and the AD aren't worried about Tony, Poison, and Celts screaming from their ass-pads in their alumni Hall seats chanting Fire Mullin...

I'm not thrilled with the early results, but I think things can turn around.. It's all about defense...like Others have stated, the offense looks good.. defense can be taught and is about heart.   I'm personally not throwing in  The the towel by a long shot..  After year three we can take stock of the program.. We are 1 and half seasons in....so damn young.  ( I know you hate to hear it, but it's the facts).

If this team finishes with 8 wins again, and one or two of LoVett and Ellison jumps ship you don't think the pressure will be on? Maybe it won't be, and isn't that something that concerns you?

What is the coaching staff supposed to do if Lovett wants to leave? How is that going to be on them? From the looks of things the kid hasn't stayed at any school for more then year since middle school. Win and loses come down on Mullin and he will have to answer for that after next season if we don't see a big jump but the transfer thing I don't buy.

If you keep losing kids that you had counted on to be key parts of your team, you are then constantly starting over. Imagine if Norm Roberts had Cedric Jackson to run the point in 2007-2008? If you can't maintain continuity in your program, you can't establish your program. What it really comes down is whether or not talented players are running from Mullin because of Mullin or because when things get hard, they just give up. LoVett didn't jump around because he wanted to. His father took responsibility for that. Would this be his fault, too?

Lovett flirted with leaving last year before he even played a game, I think that says a lot. He is a good players but maybe he is one those guy who just isn't happy in one place for too long. Sima is the only guy who has transferred and no one seemed that upset about it. If 3 rotation players leaver after the season as some have said then yea you can place a lot of that blame on Mullin because obviously you have a group of guys who aren't happy with the program but Lovett leaving as a reason to cut bait with Mullin? Absurd.

And if there is any truth to the rumor it is not about unhappiness but rather the desire to get paid to play basketball. Chris Mullin is not allowed to pay him. Only John Calipari can pay college kids to play basketball.
How true.

Wods317

« Reply #261 on: December 28, 2016, 12:05:39 PM »
Trust me...Mullin and the AD aren't worried about Tony, Poison, and Celts screaming from their ass-pads in their alumni Hall seats chanting Fire Mullin...

I'm not thrilled with the early results, but I think things can turn around.. It's all about defense...like Others have stated, the offense looks good.. defense can be taught and is about heart.   I'm personally not throwing in  The the towel by a long shot..  After year three we can take stock of the program.. We are 1 and half seasons in....so damn young.  ( I know you hate to hear it, but it's the facts).

If this team finishes with 8 wins again, and one or two of LoVett and Ellison jumps ship you don't think the pressure will be on? Maybe it won't be, and isn't that something that concerns you?

What is the coaching staff supposed to do if Lovett wants to leave? How is that going to be on them? From the looks of things the kid hasn't stayed at any school for more then year since middle school. Win and loses come down on Mullin and he will have to answer for that after next season if we don't see a big jump but the transfer thing I don't buy.

If you keep losing kids that you had counted on to be key parts of your team, you are then constantly starting over. Imagine if Norm Roberts had Cedric Jackson to run the point in 2007-2008? If you can't maintain continuity in your program, you can't establish your program. What it really comes down is whether or not talented players are running from Mullin because of Mullin or because when things get hard, they just give up. LoVett didn't jump around because he wanted to. His father took responsibility for that. Would this be his fault, too?

Lovett flirted with leaving last year before he even played a game, I think that says a lot. He is a good players but maybe he is one those guy who just isn't happy in one place for too long. Sima is the only guy who has transferred and no one seemed that upset about it. If 3 rotation players leaver after the season as some have said then yea you can place a lot of that blame on Mullin because obviously you have a group of guys who aren't happy with the program but Lovett leaving as a reason to cut bait with Mullin? Absurd.

And if there is any truth to the rumor it is not about unhappiness but rather the desire to get paid to play basketball. Chris Mullin is not allowed to pay him. Only John Calipari can pay college kids to play basketball.

Exactly why I am saying how can you blame Mullin for that. Whether Lovett wants to play elsewhere or get paid to play that is not on Mullin. I don't blame Lovett either, his family may be in need of financial help.

ras

« Reply #262 on: December 28, 2016, 12:14:21 PM »

Exactly why I am saying how can you blame Mullin for that. Whether Lovett wants to play elsewhere or get paid to play that is not on Mullin. I don't blame Lovett either, his family may be in need of financial help.
As much as this pains me to write. IF Lovett is too small for the NBA, is pushing 21, hates school and is poor, leaving early for money sounds like the smart move.

goredmen

« Reply #263 on: December 28, 2016, 12:38:29 PM »

As much as this pains me to write. IF Lovett is too small for the NBA, is pushing 21, hates school and is poor, leaving early for money sounds like the smart move.

Leaving early to play for money is the smart move for 95% of college players that are good enough to play pro ball wherever. There's such a small window of years a player can make money playing and never understood why 18-22 year olds would play for free if they don't have to

wpc77

« Reply #264 on: December 28, 2016, 01:11:51 PM »

Leaving early to play for money is the smart move for 95% of college players that are good enough to play pro ball wherever. There's such a small window of years a player can make money playing and never understood why 18-22 year olds would play for free if they don't have to

stay for one more year, graduate early in May 2018, then go make the money.  Don't get your degree, then once the ankle or knee inevitably blows out, you might be bagging groceries or worse.  That's the right way to look at it.

goredmen

« Reply #265 on: December 28, 2016, 01:31:07 PM »

stay for one more year, graduate early in May 2018, then go make the money.  Don't get your degree, then once the ankle or knee inevitably blows out, you might be bagging groceries or worse.  That's the right way to look at it.

A college degree will always be there to get. Your ankles and knees being in playing shape wont

wpc77

« Reply #266 on: December 28, 2016, 01:32:35 PM »

A college degree will always be there to get. Your ankles and knees being in playing shape wont

Disagree.  Who is paying for that $30k-$50k tuition after you go to Turkey and Greece to play ball for say 5 years, come back with no career and not much coin in the bank account?

ras

« Reply #267 on: December 28, 2016, 02:00:08 PM »
What people have to understand is college is not for everybody. BB players are pretty much forced to go at least a year for development and exposure.

« Reply #268 on: December 28, 2016, 02:05:51 PM »
At this point, Mullin's fate shouldn't be determined, but he has to show progress this year. 

Uh...no, he doesn't.  You and others can pen thousands of posts trashing him but it will make not one bit of difference.  Coach is going to get at least 5 or 6 years to make it happen whether you like it or not.

Marillac

« Reply #269 on: December 28, 2016, 02:19:29 PM »

I don't think you understand the international game.  First, you need a resume to maximize your value. A high school YouTube video isn't enough. He'll be vying for limited roster spots for Americans with guys like Ryan Boatright and Dwight Hardy. Second, there are levels to international ball, and he doesn't have a prayer at the top levels with what he's done thus far.  Third, international leagues are notorious for screwing Americans out of money by deducting costs and flat-out refusing to pay the full contract price. Fourth, many leagues limit the # of Americans per team to 2. For that reason, you'll see M'Vouika, AA, and Mussini make better careers. I had a friend who was a dual-citizen in Italy and he played for a decade after only playing d-3 in college. Fifth, PG is the hardest position to land in international ball due to the abundance of quality foreign PGs and saturation from NBA flops like Johnny Flynn.

« Reply #270 on: December 28, 2016, 02:26:45 PM »
Don't you think a Steve Pikiell could do some damage with real talent? 

Steve Pikiell s*cks.  Will Brown cleaned his clock on a regular basis and when he finally did make the tournament,  his teams showing against Kentucky was an embarrassment to the league.

« Reply #271 on: December 28, 2016, 05:13:25 PM »
At this point, Mullin's fate shouldn't be determined, but he has to show progress this year. 

Uh...no, he doesn't.  You and others can pen thousands of posts trashing him but it will make not one bit of difference.  Coach is going to get at least 5 or 6 years to make it happen whether you like it or not.

IMO, he won't get "at least 5 or 6 years" to turn it around.  For instance, if this season is similar to last season, and next isn't much better, then don't be surprised to see this relationship end.

If there is improvement this season, and a berth in the NIT next season (although, that was my deal this season, but oh well....),  then things would look promising going forward.  In that scenario, then I could see receiving 5 or 6 seasons. 

I doubt we waste 5 or 6 seasons on a shiteshow again.  There will have to be improvement next season for the staff to be retained, IMO.

« Reply #272 on: December 28, 2016, 05:18:06 PM »

IMO, he won't get "at least 5 or 6 years" to turn it around.  For instance, if this season is similar to last season, and next isn't much better, then don't be surprised to see this relationship end.

If there is improvement this season, and a berth in the NIT next season (although, that was my deal this season, but oh well....),  then things would look promising going forward.  In that scenario, then I could see receiving 5 or 6 seasons. 

I doubt we waste 5 or 6 seasons on a shiteshow again.  There will have to be improvement next season for the staff to be retained, IMO.

If we win 10 this season and 15 next season what happens?
I agree if next season is a disaster it probably ends but I think Mullin walks away instead of getting fired.

Poison

« Reply #273 on: December 28, 2016, 05:30:24 PM »
If you can't maintain continuity in your program, you can't establish your program.

Which continuity you maintain by firing the coach two years into a five year rebuilding project.

Of course, but if they win 8 games again should they give him a 3rd year so maybe he can win 12 when Shamorie Ponds is a junior? At this point, the next step in the BE conference, and for Mullin the next step isn't even wining, it's first competing.

Poison

« Reply #274 on: December 28, 2016, 05:32:28 PM »

Steve Pikiell s*cks.  Will Brown cleaned his clock on a regular basis and when he finally did make the tournament,  his teams showing against Kentucky was an embarrassment to the league.

His Rutgers team has 11 wins. That's Rutgers. Just because he's not as good as Will Brown doesn't mean he sucks. So far, he looks like a good hire for Rutgers. I don't think we're in much of a position to be pointing a finger at Pikiell.

« Reply #275 on: December 28, 2016, 05:52:43 PM »

If we win 10 this season and 15 next season what happens?
I agree if next season is a disaster it probably ends but I think Mullin walks away instead of getting fired.

It depends on how we look or who we've beaten in those 15 wins.  Currently, I have no problem to see him brought back for a third season.  But, that is also based on how we look the remainder of this season.

ras

« Reply #276 on: December 28, 2016, 05:55:35 PM »
If you can't maintain continuity in your program, you can't establish your program.

Which continuity you maintain by firing the coach two years into a five year rebuilding project.

Of course, but if they win 8 games again should they give him a 3rd year so maybe he can win 12 when Shamorie Ponds is a junior? At this point, the next step in the BE conference, and for Mullin the next step isn't even wining, it's first competing.
Yes. But, if we are bottom of BE next year ,it may be time to part ways.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 05:57:07 PM by ras »

Johnny23

« Reply #277 on: December 28, 2016, 06:02:59 PM »

His Rutgers team has 11 wins. That's Rutgers. Just because he's not as good as Will Brown doesn't mean he sucks. So far, he looks like a good hire for Rutgers. I don't think we're in much of a position to be pointing a finger at Pikiell.

+1

cjfish

« Reply #278 on: December 28, 2016, 06:58:22 PM »
I don't see Mullin walking or being asked to leave for 4-5 years minimum and fully support him staying.  If he walks for whatever season Id be all over Will Brown.  I live In Saratoga and have seen him coach, doing an excellent job in all areas and  has turned the formerly moribund Albany program into a consistent contender at their level and a tough out for the big boys.  That being said, I hope Mullin is here till he is 70.

« Reply #279 on: December 28, 2016, 11:59:54 PM »

I get your support for Mullin but to expect Stony Brook to compete with Kentucky is laughable. Doubt the conference who probably knows it place in college basketball was embarrassed.