Providence Game Thread

• 203 replies

derk

Re: Providence Game Thread
« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2017, 01:32:33 PM »
nEV
Played improved if not great defense.

This is a thread about the St. John's Providence game. Who did you watch play?

He's not the only one who thought our defense was good.

Well, that's just insane. This was collectively one of the worst defensive games I've ever seen. Neither team could even slow down the ball, let alone stop it. 3/4 possessions seemed to have a player going full steam into the lane whether it was Lovett, Cartwright, Ponds, Ahmed, Bullock, or Ellison. You'll never see more and 1 fouls than last night. There were wide open threes all night for both sides (nobody within 20 feet of Lindsay on three of his attempts) and neither team got back well on defense--we were awful in this category, but Providence lacked the second ball-handler to capitalize.
[/quote

Never saw so many unchecked coast to coast layups in my life - for both teams. Funniest moment was watching Mussini trying to check Jalen Lindsay giving away a full 8 inches. Lindsay looked at Freddy and said "are you kidding me ".

« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2017, 01:49:22 PM »
- I find it gratifying to win games at the free throw stripe. LP have been amazing from there (pretty much amazing from everywhere on the court offensively) all year and even Bash who's struggled previously gets into the act at 3 for 3.  90% as a team.

- Tremendous use of all his timeouts in the second half with oodles of time left to successfully tourniquet the bleeding.  Ata boy coach!

- Our defense s*cks.  86 points is ridiculous. We gotta do something.

- 2 BE road wins at the mid-point.  Not too shabby.

- Live by the three.....Live by the three!  48% on the day.  You sure this is a St. John's team?

- My favorite sequence was right before half-time when Lovett fouls Pc on purpose putting them on the line just so he could get the ball back again for the last second shot.  Ponds held up his hands asking for the ball but there was no way Marcus was giving it up then he nails the acrobatic falling down 30 ft. last second chuck for three.  Onions!!!

It is very strange to see a St.John's team that can shoot, but doesn't bother to play defense.

Right?  I am not at all comfortable with this new action packed, exciting style of play.

I wish we would go back to a slow, walk it up, nobody gets to 60 pts. Carnesseca like boring style of play.

Poison

« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2017, 01:54:59 PM »

He's not the only one who thought our defense was good.

Well, that's just insane. This was collectively one of the worst defensive games I've ever seen. Neither team could even slow down the ball, let alone stop it. 3/4 possessions seemed to have a player going full steam into the lane whether it was Lovett, Cartwright, Ponds, Ahmed, Bullock, or Ellison. You'll never see more and 1 fouls than last night. There were wide open threes all night for both sides (nobody within 20 feet of Lindsay on three of his attempts) and neither team got back well on defense--we were awful in this category, but Providence lacked the second ball-handler to capitalize.

I don't think the defense was good. That's not what I said. Have a look at the post game quotes.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 01:55:42 PM by Poison »

desco80

« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2017, 01:55:01 PM »
Agree with Marillac and others ... awful defense.   You have to stop the ball.  That's always priority 1. 

Not be overlooked though, we were pretty bad at priorities #2 and #3 also; staying between your man and the basket, and closing out on shooters.

« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2017, 04:04:36 PM »
Was actually one of the worst defensive performances all year, and that's saying a lot. Our offense saved us. We let them shoot 62% and somehow managed to win.

redslope

« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2017, 05:31:10 PM »
Was actually one of the worst defensive performances all year, and that's saying a lot. Our offense saved us. We let them shoot 62% and somehow managed to win.

On the surface that is true but consider that PU scored 21 points (25%) off t/o's.  Our defense was not as bad as it appears.  In the first half when PU scored 37 PTs, we did not look that bad.  We out rebounded them.   PU had 19 t/o's 50% above their average and we had 10 steals.  Also after Lindsey makes a basket at 3:50 mark the had one more until the end of the game.
Personally I prefer a game like this than a 63-58 game and think it is what recruits would prefer.

TONYD3

« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2017, 06:08:10 PM »

On the surface that is true but consider that PU scored 21 points (25%) off t/o's.  Our defense was not as bad as it appears.  In the first half when PU scored 37 PTs, we did not look that bad.  We out rebounded them.   PU had 19 t/o's 50% above their average and we had 10 steals.  Also after Lindsey makes a basket at 3:50 mark the had one more until the end of the game.
Personally I prefer a game like this than a 63-58 game and think it is what recruits would prefer.
We won. Felt great. Defense got some stops. Rebounding was much improved. We hit some crazy shots. They allowed us some very easy looks. When they cut the lead right away I would have bet anything that we would Have folded. A win on the road is great!
Still This is not a blueprint on how to win games in the big east!

« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2017, 06:20:19 PM »
  Agree, Oldfan. Another Classic, although not involving our Johnnies, was that 6 OT game with Syracuse and UCONN in the BE tourney back in 2009.

I wonder if Syracuse ,UCONN, Pitt, BC, ND, all might like a new Vote on staying in the BE for Basketball..  I exclude L'ville, Cinn, WVA, USF,Miami, as they are probably happier in their new  Venues. Rutgers?  Big 10 was a bad move for them. They will be like the Cubs waiting for 100 Years to win.

Got to admit, their presence in the New York area is greatly reduced. Syracuse, Pitt, BC and ND in the ACC. Cuse used to have a pipeline to NY area talent. Pitt too when Slice was there. BC must have regrets. ND football program had to eventually land in a super conference, so that was inevitable.
If I'm a kid getting recruited for the ACC, and I have a choice of Miami, Florida; the North Carolina schools; or a school like UVA versus upstate New York...Syracuse? Greatly reduced media presence in the New York area and reduced recruit attractiveness will be difficult for Syracuse.

« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2017, 07:23:34 PM »

MCN definitely drunk posted from a brewery up in New Hampshire when he posted that :)

Poison

« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2017, 07:49:13 PM »
  Agree, Oldfan. Another Classic, although not involving our Johnnies, was that 6 OT game with Syracuse and UCONN in the BE tourney back in 2009.

I wonder if Syracuse ,UCONN, Pitt, BC, ND, all might like a new Vote on staying in the BE for Basketball..  I exclude L'ville, Cinn, WVA, USF,Miami, as they are probably happier in their new  Venues. Rutgers?  Big 10 was a bad move for them. They will be like the Cubs waiting for 100 Years to win.

Got to admit, their presence in the New York area is greatly reduced. Syracuse, Pitt, BC and ND in the ACC. Cuse used to have a pipeline to NY area talent. Pitt too when Slice was there. BC must have regrets. ND football program had to eventually land in a super conference, so that was inevitable.
If I'm a kid getting recruited for the ACC, and I have a choice of Miami, Florida; the North Carolina schools; or a school like UVA versus upstate New York...Syracuse? Greatly reduced media presence in the New York area and reduced recruit attractiveness will be difficult for Syracuse.

It wasn't SU that was taking talent away from us. That would be Uconn, Pitt and Nova w Jay Wright.

desco80

« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2017, 08:05:10 PM »
Syracuse's problem isn't w leaving the Big East, they went to the Final Four last spring.
Their issue, and one we can relate to, is with their HoF coachand face of the University retiring.

Pitt has suffered the most from leaving the BE imo.   They had a great thing going in the old big East under Dixon.   

redslope

« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2017, 08:34:36 PM »

ND is still independent in FB but has to give ACC 5 games per year and they have had to give up Michigan among others to take on the ACC games like Duke and ExCuse.  They get into the ACC bowl commitments  (not top one) if they are bowl eligible.  The Pope should have excommunicated them for walking out on their Catholic bretheren.

Poison

« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2017, 09:25:23 PM »
Syracuse's problem isn't w leaving the Big East, they went to the Final Four last spring.
Their issue, and one we can relate to, is with their HoF coachand face of the University retiring.

Pitt has suffered the most from leaving the BE imo.   They had a great thing going in the old big East under Dixon.   

I really hope SU sticks to their plan of letting the long time assistant coach Mike Hopkins take over. He's a Norm Roberts clone. Great recruiter as an assistant, but he's a terrible game coach.

Marillac

« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2017, 09:27:48 PM »
Question for refs.

When we got the jump ball after the ball got stuck between rim and board, the shot-clock was at 12, and was reset to a full 30.

In last minute, when Owens made great block to force jump, there was 2 seconds left on the shot-clock and it was not reset.

Not complaining of course. Maybe under a minute it doesnt reset.

Difference being Williams shot hit the rim. Think about tit.

« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2017, 10:35:47 PM »
I knew Cooley would go all thug after the loss. What a bitch

« Reply #135 on: January 26, 2017, 11:43:57 PM »
Easy Ed always seems to do that against us.  Shouldn't hold too much of a grudge because he beat Lavin in the two biggest games they squared off, even though Lavs beat him a bunch of times up in Friar Town.  Maybe consistently losing recruits to us annoys him.

« Reply #136 on: January 27, 2017, 12:21:00 AM »
Easy Ed always seems to do that against us.  Shouldn't hold too much of a grudge because he beat Lavin in the two biggest games they squared off, even though Lavs beat him a bunch of times up in Friar Town.  Maybe consistently losing recruits to us annoys him.

But they beat St. John's in Big East tourney. Still can't believe JaKarr didn't dunk that ball.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

derk

« Reply #137 on: January 27, 2017, 10:05:41 AM »
- I find it gratifying to win games at the free throw stripe. LP have been amazing from there (pretty much amazing from everywhere on the court offensively) all year and even Bash who's struggled previously gets into the act at 3 for 3.  90% as a team.

- Tremendous use of all his timeouts in the second half with oodles of time left to successfully tourniquet the bleeding.  Ata boy coach!

- Live by the three.....Live by the three!  48% on the day.  You sure this is a St. John's team?

- My favorite sequence was right before half-time when Lovett fouls Pc on purpose putting them on the line just so he could get the ball back again for the last second shot.  Ponds held up his hands asking for the ball but there was no way Marcus was giving it up then he nails the acrobatic falling down 30 ft. last second chuck for three.  Onions!!!

It is very strange to see a St.John's team that can shoot, but doesn't bother to play defense.

Right?  I am not at all comfortable with this new action packed, exciting style of play.

I wish we would go back to a slow, walk it up, nobody gets to 60 pts. Carnesseca like boring style of play.

I don't care what style we play as long as we move quickly, pass the ball with some vigor, and run run run the dam court as fast as possible.

Poison

« Reply #138 on: January 27, 2017, 10:07:31 AM »

You mean back when we routinely made the NCAA tournament?

« Reply #139 on: January 27, 2017, 10:45:59 AM »
Right, that's why I said he beat Lavs in the 2 biggest games they ever squared off.  The "Obekpa" game, as I refer to it, in the BE tourney.  And the disaster the following year.

But they beat St. John's in Big East tourney. Still can't believe JaKarr didn't dunk that ball.