DePaul predictions

• 156 replies
Re: DePaul predictions
« Reply #120 on: January 06, 2018, 05:22:46 PM »
Let Lovett walk at season's end (or before). Replace him with a tough NYC PG that will play every game even if at a lower level. Force Mullin to add an X's and O's coach to the staff, and send Matt A to some coaching clinics or let him go.

No on LoVett.
X & O - can't disagree with that; but let coach make his own evaluation.
Matt A - he's doing his job.

Do you watch Matt A during games? He's clueless and not involved at at all. That Italian secretary is more of a coach.

The problem is he's the only assistant doing anything at all (recruiting).  No one would have a problem with matt if we had real experienced assistants to go with him.

Exactly.

You know, this exact conversation regarding experienced assistants happened under Lavin.  You'd think guys who were Xs and Os deficient could acknowledge ther weaknesses in order to help the team.

To be fair Lavin had a great X n O guys his first two years in Mike Dunlap.  Never adequately replaced him.

« Reply #121 on: January 06, 2018, 05:40:14 PM »
Still a long way for this season, but it's likely we finish worse than last season, and now you have to wonder what the administration will do. 

Here is my idea....  It's highly likely we miss out on the NIT.  If that happens, you have to move on, considering the season's expectations. 

If they do bring him back after missing the NIT, then you force his hand and tell him he has to make changes to his staff.  He'll probably buck like a wild bronco, and resign.

So, you either fire him or force his hand, which I think will make him resign.

MJD I would be shocked if this played out. But you definitely have to ask some questions if you are Goff.

If we end the season with 3, 4 or 5 conference wins, per this season's expectations, then Goff will have to make a move. 

Again, you force him to make changes or fire him.  There's a possibility Mullin may not like the idea of his hand being forced.  So, what do you do if you're Goff, per the latter?

This is crazy talk.

So, is most of the stuff you say (whether it's true or fabricated), but that's a subject for another day.

Dude, there is always a chance a coach may not be fond of being told he needs to make changes to his staff.  So, you never know how it may turn out.

There is zero chance Mullin is even considered to be fired after this season. NONE. Even if we go winless in conference play. Maybe he is asked to add an experienced coach to the staff, but talking about firing or even his seat being warm is just not realistic or reasonable. He has five Big East players right now.

"Zero chance?"  Yeah, right.  There might not be an 80% or even 50% chance, but there isn't a ZERO chance. 

Dude, if the AD wants him to make changes to his staff and he says, he's not gonna do it, then what do you expect will happen?  I seriously doubt Goff stands pat on such insubordination.

In such case, he'll either resign or be fired.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 05:42:56 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #122 on: January 06, 2018, 05:42:27 PM »
And now we are also blaming our 3rd coach (who resembles a statue during games ). Atleast tiny Morton was animated during games. St. Jean could serve a role. As can Matt. Having Chris Mullin 0 experience, st. Jean , really 0 experience, rich Mitch ritchmond 0 experience, and Matt. Shocked that it hasn’t worked.

Exactly!  Why even take shots at Matt?  He's doing what he was brought here to do.  Even then, he still needs help from the other coaching staff members.  If anything, take shots at the assistant coaches who were hired to aide in the coaching department.  But, mainly the shots should be at the CEO (head coach).

Regardless, I'll still be around on the board, but I'm likely done watching any of our games the rest of the season.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 05:47:26 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #123 on: January 06, 2018, 05:46:59 PM »
Let Lovett walk at season's end (or before). Replace him with a tough NYC PG that will play every game even if at a lower level. Force Mullin to add an X's and O's coach to the staff, and send Matt A to some coaching clinics or let him go.

No on LoVett.
X & O - can't disagree with that; but let coach make his own evaluation.
Matt A - he's doing his job.

Do you watch Matt A during games? He's clueless and not involved at at all. That Italian secretary is more of a coach.

The problem is he's the only assistant doing anything at all (recruiting).  No one would have a problem with matt if we had real experienced assistants to go with him.

Matt is doing what's he's paid for.  Is the team a big short this year?  Yeah, prolly. But he's got Keita, Roberts and Brooks coming next year so at least he's addressing his deficiencies.  And Slice lasted for years doing exactly what Matt does, likely with a big bag at his side.  When he tried to do more he lowered Manhattan to his level.  Mitch can do all he can do as a DOBO, shooting/skills instruction.  Give his seat to an experienced XO guy.

PS look at Patricks staff at GTown.  Louis Orr, long time head coach.  Kirby 33 year assistant and Waheed, 11 year assistant and above average recruiter.    Big difference.  And Patrick was actually a coach in the NBA as well, not just a player personnel guy.
That's because St. John's always does everything ass backwards. Mullin is very stubborn and arrogant but he needn't worry as Foadie the Toadie will still s___ h__ o__. 

« Reply #124 on: January 06, 2018, 05:50:03 PM »
PS look at Patricks staff at GTown.  Louis Orr, long time head coach.  Kirby 33 year assistant and Waheed, 11 year assistant and above average recruiter.    Big difference.  And Patrick was actually a coach in the NBA as well, not just a player personnel guy.
Mullin is very stubborn and arrogant

Per his stubborness, is why I stated, he may not be fond of being told he'll need to make changes to his staff after the season.  Some people do not like being told what they need to do, and will chide or buck against it.  Mullin struck me, as such. 

If that were to occur, it could lead to a stand-off to where Goff doesn't have a choice but to let him go.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 05:51:44 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2018, 05:58:28 PM »
Mullin is very stubborn and arrogant

Per his stubborness, is why I stated, he may not be fond of being told he'll need to make changes to his staff after the season.  Some people do not like being told what they need to do, and will chide or buck against it.  Mullin struck me, as such. 

If that were to occur, it could lead to a stand-off to where Goff doesn't have a choice but to let him go.
Would tend to agree with you if I didn't think Goff had his balls cut off when he accepted the job just like every other AD we have had at least since Jack Kaiser and I was too young then to know his true situation.

goredmen

« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2018, 06:16:36 PM »

"Zero chance?"  Yeah, right.  There might not be an 80% or even 50% chance, but there isn't a ZERO chance. 

Dude, if the AD wants him to make changes to his staff and he says, he's not gonna do it, then what do you expect will happen?  I seriously doubt Goff stands pat on such insubordination.

In such case, he'll either resign or be fired.

If Goff says "Coach, I'd like you to make changes your coaching staff" and Mullin tells him stick it, Goff will say "thank you for your time, have a nice day" and move his focus to the women's swimming team. Goff has no power over Chris Mullin when it comes to the men's basketball program. Not saying it's right, just saying how it is

Foad

« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2018, 06:21:44 PM »
At John's DePaul recap http://www.bigeastboards.com/

« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2018, 06:45:55 PM »
Thanks actually feel a little better after reading that. But as for your once again crying over foul calls which you do sometimes by just looking at the stats did you every consider style of play where DePaul drove the ball more and went inside more while we chuck up 3s. Unfortunately only one of our guys seems always to be stupid enough to foul a 3 point shooter.

Poison

« Reply #129 on: January 06, 2018, 06:50:04 PM »
Are we really saying Matt does nothing? U put these steering 5 guys on most well coached teams and team is no worse than 2-2. Sorry but Matt a not the issue, squarely on Mullin and in game assistants.

We have five Big East players dude. We have one kid that can dribble. We had two grad transfers within 10 miles from campus that could have helped big time and he didn't even talk to them.

That’s correct. For all of the crap Lavin got for being a lazy recruiter it sure brings home the saying the devil you know. Hiring Mullin was as irresponsible as hiring Norm Roberts.

The University brain trust should watch the Seinfeld episode where George decides to do the opposite of everything he normally does.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 06:50:29 PM by Poison »

« Reply #130 on: January 06, 2018, 06:57:47 PM »
Dare I say this was Fun's best rant ever ? This one will go down In history as one of the most riveting and classic ever. This is up there with Bobre from redmen when we lost with Norm Roberts to St Francis or someone the night they renamed the Arena

Freaking classic this is

« Reply #131 on: January 06, 2018, 07:04:09 PM »
How can anyone on here say that Mullin deserved another year. What is he doing to warrant that? There is zero improvement, no basketball iq displayed and the team plays street ball. Look at teams who brought in new coaches this year and last. Guys like holy man and wade already making strides in year one. Mullin gets pass last two years but in year 3, we are no better than year one.

He's got one kid that can dribble the basketball!!! What can he do with that sissy Lovett on the bench with a sprained vagina? The staff should have been prepared for it, but this is a mistake that only has to happen once and looks like it won't happen again for a long time. Talk of firing is absurd at this point. Have him bring an experienced coach on board.
+

Lovett played better than Ponds today

« Reply #132 on: January 06, 2018, 07:06:25 PM »
Matt is our most active recruiter and gets us in the new york post. He is the least of our problems

Isn't this like saying someone is the tallest dwarf? We have 8 scholarship players not including Lovett and  3 of them stink

« Reply #133 on: January 06, 2018, 07:11:56 PM »
Matt is our most active recruiter and gets us in the new york post. He is the least of our problems

Isn't this like saying someone is the tallest dwarf? We have 8 scholarship players not including Lovett and  3 of them stink
not disputing that at all. I'm not sure we could field a team if Matt wasn't here.

Next year as of now full roster and there will be literally no excuses for lack of talent or amount of players
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 07:12:13 PM by mjmaherjr »

Poison

« Reply #134 on: January 06, 2018, 07:24:31 PM »

not disputing that at all. I'm not sure we could field a team if Matt wasn't here.

Next year as of now full roster and there will be literally no excuses for lack of talent or amount of players

We never know who is coming back. No program ever does.

« Reply #135 on: January 06, 2018, 07:25:10 PM »
Assuming Lovett leaves, and the other 6 return

Ponds, Simon, Owens, Clark, Trimble, Yakwe

Bad part is well have with 6 new guys with talent but will have to all gel together on court (realize 3 of them are practice only already)

Keita, Dixon, Diakite, Brooks, Williams, Roberts

Now, assuming 1-2 other unknown departures, makes the gelling even harder.

Is this overrated as an issue or legit concern?

« Reply #136 on: January 06, 2018, 07:29:25 PM »

We never know who is coming back. No program ever does.
I was trying to keep a positive attitude and me hopeful. lol

isham

« Reply #137 on: January 06, 2018, 08:15:39 PM »
Mullin makes Norm Roberts look like John Wooden. The only thing they do on offense is screen on the ball. Other than that you have have 5 guys standing around the 3 pt line passing the ball looking to take a shoot or drive to the basket. No one is under the basket to rebound. No one moves without the ball, no screens, no back door cuts.  This team is so easy to defend against. With this talent a decent coach would be 3-1 in the league . Another thing that disturbs me is that Mullin doesn't control or manage a game . They play the game the same way whether they're up by 10 or down by 10. He thinks he's still in the NBA and hasn't adjusted to the College Game. Some changes need to be made with the coaching staff. Send the kid home and bring in a professional and salvage the season

« Reply #138 on: January 06, 2018, 08:19:47 PM »
Mullin makes Norm Roberts look like John Wooden. The only thing they do on offense is screen on the ball. Other than that you have have 5 guys standing around the 3 pt line passing the ball looking to take a shoot or drive to the basket. No one is under the basket to rebound. No one moves without the ball, no screens, no back door cuts.  This team is so easy to defend against. With this talent a decent coach would be 3-1 in the league . Another thing that disturbs me is that Mullin doesn't control or manage a game . They play the game the same way whether they're up by 10 or down by 10. He thinks he's still in the NBA and hasn't adjusted to the College Game. Some changes need to be made with the coaching staff. Send the kid home and bring in a professional and salvage the season
and the ball screens they do set most times would lead the ball handler nowhere for any advantage like when they set one 30 feet away near the sideline. What do they want the ball handler to do dribble the ball out of bounds? It's mindless.

« Reply #139 on: January 06, 2018, 08:29:25 PM »
Trust the process