Game 13: Seton Hall

• 356 replies
Re: Game 13: Seton Hall
« Reply #320 on: December 31, 2018, 01:06:23 PM »
Carmine as a ref in the same position would you watch the play that is unfolding right in front of you or the clock?

The ref that blew his whistle inadvertently is responsible for the sideline/out of bounds call on that play so clearly his focus needs to be there.  Having said that, refs are trained to be very conscious of the game clock and shot clock at all times. Especially at the BE level making $3000 a game. They are certainly making a mental note of where the game/shot clock are before every inbound play, free throw and dead ball situation and are checking that they started properly coming out of it. 

« Reply #321 on: December 31, 2018, 01:15:34 PM »
The ref that blew his whistle inadvertently is responsible for the sideline/out of bounds call on that play so clearly his focus needs to be there.  Having said that, refs are trained to be very conscious of the game clock and shot clock at all times. Especially at the BE level making $3000 a game. They are certainly making a mental note of where the game/shot clock are before every inbound play, free throw and dead ball situation and are checking that they started properly coming out of it. 

He anticipated LJ stepping out of bounds and blew his whistle. Everything else that has come out is more far fetched than anything that happens on Game of Thrones. Hope that ref gets diarrhea for life.

« Reply #322 on: December 31, 2018, 01:16:37 PM »
Free throw shooting has been mentioned frequently as a reason for the clock gate game loss.

We did shoot 84% from the line in this game.

Gil Scott did hit 2 out of 3 from the line in the final minute which is acceptable. Plus, I don't know what happened but he did get iced when the ref took the ball back from him after it was at his disposal and he had to back off the line on the miss.

Our best foul shooter missing the one and one with 12 seconds left was rough - but he was a respectable 3 for 4 on the day.

« Reply #323 on: December 31, 2018, 01:19:25 PM »
He anticipated LJ stepping out of bounds and blew his whistle. Everything else that has come out is more far fetched than anything that happens on Game of Thrones. Hope that ref gets diarrhea for life.

That's what I thought at first. But now I think he stopped it to adjust the game clock for not starting correctly on the inbound play.

« Reply #324 on: December 31, 2018, 01:22:15 PM »
That's what I thought at first. But now I think he stopped it to adjust the game clock for not starting correctly on the inbound play.

If that were true it would be even stupider than what really happened.
So then why did they take time off? No play. You stopped a play from completion, ignored the fact the other team had the ball and restarted a play from a tip and took a few tenths of a second off??????
So what took 20 mins to figure out? That 6 tenths of second should come off?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 02:02:50 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #325 on: December 31, 2018, 01:49:10 PM »
If that were true it would be even stupider than what really happened.
So then why did they take time off? No play. You stopped a play from completion, ignored the fact the other team had the ball and restarted a play from a tip and took a few tens of a second off??????
So what took 20 mins to figure out? That 6 tens of second should come off?

It is what really happened and it's stupider.

The clock started late. It should have started when LJ tipped the inbound pass, not when he was jumping to retrieve it out of bounds. That's why they took time off. It's not no play and you can't have a do over. There was a play and stuff happened between 3.9 and 3.1. Whether a play is out of bounds or not is not reviewable by video. "Which team caused the ball to go out of bounds when there is a deflection involving two or more players" and game clock issues are.

The refs knew they screwed up big time and it took big time to figure out what they could/should do and to try and get there story straight. Plus they're trying to guestimate how much time elapsed between LJ's initial tip of the inbounds play and when the clock actually started when the ball was going out of bounds by the sideline.  They settled on 4/10.

« Reply #326 on: December 31, 2018, 02:00:18 PM »
It is what really happened and it's stupider.

The clock started late. It should have started when LJ tipped the inbound pass, not when he was jumping to retrieve it out of bounds. That's why they took time off. It's not no play and you can't have a do over. There was a play and stuff happened between 3.9 and 3.1. Whether a play is out of bounds or not is not reviewable by video. "Which team caused the ball to go out of bounds when there is a deflection involving two or more players" and game clock issues are.

The refs knew they screwed up big time and it took big time to figure out what they could/should do and to try and get there story straight. Plus they're trying to guestimate how much time elapsed between LJ's initial tip of the inbounds play and when the clock actually started when the ball was going out of bounds by the sideline.  They settled on 4/10.

Then stop the play after the tip was caught. By stopping the clock in mid play it made no sense. That absolutely is not why he stopped the clock.
He anticipated LJ stepping out. So he blew his whistle.

« Reply #327 on: December 31, 2018, 02:42:53 PM »
BE has apologized for mistake that cost us the game. Awesome...

https://mobile.twitter.com/nypost_brazille/status/1079809697115525121?s=21

« Reply #328 on: December 31, 2018, 02:51:13 PM »

STILL LYING ABOUT IT THOUGH

« Reply #329 on: December 31, 2018, 03:12:00 PM »
Then stop the play after the tip was caught.

No. Don't stop the play at all. He didn't do it on purpose. The whole world knows he screwed up most of all himself.
By stopping the clock in mid play it made no sense.
You got that right. He needed to wait for a dead ball.

With regard to timing errors:
a) After the mistake, such a mistake shall be corrected:
    1) During the first dead ball and before the ball is touched inbounds or out of bounds by a player other than a thrower-in.

That absolutely is not why he stopped the clock.
He anticipated LJ stepping out. So he blew his whistle.
That's what I thought at first then saw a different video of it that changed my mind for several reasons.

1) He never gave the signal for a player out of bounds violation. He put his hand in the air to stop the clock but didn't do the second part of it which is to point direction.

2) When his hand went up to stop the clock, his fingers were separated and not together.  It didn't look like a violation signal. These guys are not usually sloppy with mechanics.

3) After briefly looking at LJ and the ball heading out of bounds he quickly turned his gaze to the clock.

4) He immediately walked forward to speak to the lead official following his inadvertent whistle. What is there to talk about if it's just an epically bad out of bounds call? I guess he might have said to him; "What did you see?" and the lead ref would have probably replied; "I don't know. I'm the lead administering the in-bound. I have the baseline. You have the sideline and you blew your whistle. What do you got?"

Or my take, he might have said to him; "Red tipped the inbound pass, right?" The lead would reply; "Yes" then he would say; "The clock didn't start on time. We have to go fix it. Boy have I really screwed up."

I could be wrong.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 03:16:29 PM by carmineabbatiello »

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #330 on: December 31, 2018, 03:27:53 PM »
The league admitted they made a huge mistake, but there will be no do overs.

The team’s destiny is still their hands. This can be a true motivator or the beginning of the end.

This is a killer loss for so many reasons...Maybe this is finally the year that the team improves and gets over something like this.

It’s always easy to be an optimist with the New Year...I’m tired of being pissed off.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #331 on: December 31, 2018, 03:54:41 PM »
Agreed. All I wanted was an apology and saying we blew it. That happened. Should be 13-0, but can still be top 25 with a win tomorrow

Foad

« Reply #332 on: December 31, 2018, 04:30:54 PM »

So it wasn't an inadvertent whistle and it wasn't a timing issue, it was negligence, and according to the league it cost St John's the game. Several posters have heaping plates of crow to eat, guessing they won't.

« Reply #333 on: December 31, 2018, 04:32:54 PM »
Agreed. All I wanted was an apology and saying we blew it. That happened. Should be 13-0, but can still be top 25 with a win tomorrow

In the immortal words of Tanner Boyle
" Hey Val... you can take your apology and your shitty refs and shove 'em straight up your ass! "
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 04:33:26 PM by we are sju »

Foad

« Reply #334 on: December 31, 2018, 04:34:09 PM »
This is a killer loss for so many reasons...Maybe this is finally the year that the team improves and gets over something like this.

Or it's a blip on the radar screen. But for the referees they'd have won the game and they'd be ranked. If this breaks them they don't deserve anything but to have been broken. And considering how they responded to the losing streak last year I don't see that happening. In fact, I suspect the opposite.

Foad

« Reply #335 on: December 31, 2018, 04:39:02 PM »
"To be clear, the whistle in this case was not inadvertent, but intentional."

« Reply #336 on: December 31, 2018, 04:49:47 PM »
Great as if I wasn’t pissed off enough about the loss WASJU just told me Game of Thrones isn’t real. 2019 can’t get here fast enough
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #337 on: December 31, 2018, 04:54:10 PM »
So it wasn't an inadvertent whistle and it wasn't a timing issue, it was negligence, and according to the league it cost St John's the game. Several posters have heaping plates of crow to eat, guessing they won't.

You can't be this stupid. Blowing an inadvertent whistle can easily be construed as  an "error in judgement". 

Why don't we kiss and make up?  Or I can keep ripping you a new one and making you look foolish all day and all night.

I vote for peace and harmony in the spirit of the New Year and Johnny alliance.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 04:55:03 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #338 on: December 31, 2018, 04:58:35 PM »

The team will need to win tomorrow AND Saturday to get into the Top 25. 

« Reply #339 on: December 31, 2018, 04:59:32 PM »
"To be clear, the whistle in this case was not inadvertent, but intentional."

Who said that?  That's interesting.