Game 20: Georgetown 12P@MSG (FOX, 570 AM)

• 220 replies

goredmen

Re: Game 20: Georgetown 12P@MSG (FOX, 570 AM)
« Reply #180 on: January 27, 2019, 11:19:40 PM »
I would not give up on this team. Georgetown deserved the win. Shooting 48% of their 3’s and 84% of foul shots is big time. SJU shot 28% and 74%, which are loss numbers. Looking ahead playing Creighton on their court will be demanding but not unwinnable.  Another Duke upset and who knows how high they could go.

Going into the Duke game last year we had lost 11 in a row and there was really no reason to think it would turn around that point. That being said, beating Duke this year would be significantly more surprising than last year's win.

« Reply #181 on: January 28, 2019, 01:12:36 AM »
Man crappy way to end the season, I'll be thinking about why LJ didnt drive the lane all summer!

Poison

« Reply #182 on: January 28, 2019, 08:51:40 AM »
I would not give up on this team. Georgetown deserved the win. Shooting 48% of their 3’s and 84% of foul shots is big time. SJU shot 28% and 74%, which are loss numbers. Looking ahead playing Creighton on their court will be demanding but not unwinnable.  Another Duke upset and who knows how high they could go.

Season isn't over yet, but there's no excuse for not hustling on defense. Shaking their heads on the sidelines, and making no changes until the last 2 minutes with a full court press. Play like that for the duration of the game, and we win going away. Cut the Sunday county club mentality and they can turn it around. Can't phone it in with this BE schedule.

« Reply #183 on: January 28, 2019, 09:32:41 AM »
YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS...ARE YOU MENTALLY ILL? EVERYTHING YOU LISTED ASKING IF IT'S PLAYERS OR COACHING...IS COACHING!!!!!!

WHAT'S IT LIKE TO LIVE LIFE BEING SO FREAKING DELUSIONAL!?!??!?!?!

The team is down 2, minute plus to go, they get the ball back shoot a 3 to go ahead, miss it, than miss 3 chip-ins to tie the game, and than completely collapse.

Is that coaching or over anxious players, trying to make a play? If the 3 went in, the Garden would have exploded...and probably SJU would have had the momentum to win the game.

Is it bad coaching that SJU always seems to have to make a late rally to try to get back/win the game? Is it that Players are being treated like pros and they can’t handle it?

As a fan I’m pissed that the fans seem to care more than the players and coaches do (by their own comments of being passive). Maybe that’s one reason why I’m fan and they are coaches (alongside many other reasons). I understand having heart attack wins  and breaking heart loses against good teams...Too many games this year against many different types of opponents feels this way...when they shouldn’t.

I don’t want to fire another coach again in their 4th or 5 year and having to rebuild...again. If Mullin is fired, than the commitments he team have will probably be gone. At the same time how does this team look to future recruits...

When was the last time the school hired a real coach without regrets? Jarvis? He turned out out to be a schmuck, but he was a great hire at the time. Harrington went O for after Louie retired, and appears the current administration is about to be O for 1.

I apologize for he long post, but it’s just frustrating how this school just can’t get their act together. I will proudly eat crow if this team goes on a tear and does well from here on out...I just don’t see it.

Is part of being a fan is abandoning the program to force a change, or being eternally optimistic that things will change?

Is this what it is like being a Mets fan (not being sarcastic)?

« Reply #184 on: January 28, 2019, 09:33:56 AM »
LOL...why should anyone be optimistic? What has this team done, what his this coaching staff shown to make you or I or anyone not lose hope?

Foad

« Reply #185 on: January 28, 2019, 10:01:46 AM »
making no changes until the last 2 minutes with a full court press. Play like that for the duration of the game, and we win going away.

Hard to do when you play five guys.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #186 on: January 28, 2019, 10:06:47 AM »
YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS...ARE YOU MENTALLY ILL? EVERYTHING YOU LISTED ASKING IF IT'S PLAYERS OR COACHING...IS COACHING!!!!!!

WHAT'S IT LIKE TO LIVE LIFE BEING SO FREAKING DELUSIONAL!?!??!?!?!

Wow, do you need a hug or teddy bear? Relax man... if you are that amped up about these games or a posters comments,  take a break from them...

I was listing out all the reason/ excuses for why they lost. This was a terrible game.

My personal thoughts was that it was embarrassing/ humiliating as a fan to have you head coach tie his shoes on national TV why his asst does all he planning and talking to the players.

It is a failure of leadership to have this team not come out with urgency with so much on the line.

I also do not want to fire a coach and start all over again. Something is not clicking right now. Hopefully they can turn it around. If this team becomes a dumpster fire there would be no choice but to force some kind of change.

Getting overly emotional over a basketball team and going after fellow fans isn’t helpful either. The only influence we have over this team is to not watch them play and not donate to SJU.

Hopefully a fire gets lit under this team (especially the head coach) and they play with passion and win out the rest of the season.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #187 on: January 28, 2019, 10:08:01 AM »

I do wonder how bad Roberts has been in practice that he hasn’t seen the floor at all. He’s seemed pretty rangy and tho far less skilled seems like his speed and bounce would fit the current system better than Keita.

« Reply #188 on: January 28, 2019, 10:15:49 AM »
Shoelacegate of 2019 is the most overblown issue on here in recent memory, and there are many.

I think in game coaching is mostly over rated to start with, and who cares who is doing the majority of the talking in huddle. The message should be a unified one. It has been noted that St Jean is doing a large portion of the preparation so why not have him do some of the talking in huddle?

There are plenty of things to complain about for this staff—probably not enough recruiters, rotations doesn’t seem to be working out recently, allowing Simon to shoot/handle too much—but worrying about shoe tying, or how long it takes to get into the huddle or tossing a ball to an opposing coach are not among them

Johnny23

« Reply #189 on: January 28, 2019, 10:21:19 AM »

All roads lead back to Mullin. It's coming to a head. Let's see if he can turn it around or if it keeps sliding off the rails.

« Reply #190 on: January 28, 2019, 10:54:35 AM »
Alot of guys on the ledge

TONYD3

« Reply #191 on: January 28, 2019, 10:59:13 AM »
Alot of guys on the ledge
Took them long enough. This guy has sucked from day 1.

« Reply #192 on: January 28, 2019, 11:01:23 AM »
Took them long enough. This guy has sucked from day 1.

Mullin needs to get rid of the staff.

« Reply #193 on: January 28, 2019, 11:01:31 AM »
I do wonder how bad Roberts has been in practice that he hasn’t seen the floor at all. He’s seemed pretty rangy and tho far less skilled seems like his speed and bounce would fit the current system better than Keita.

With the lack of depth on St. John's roster, it was important that Mullin give Roberts or Earlington minutes early in the season.  He chose to play his starters 35 mpg for teams like Loyola MD, MD Eastern Shore, Mount Saint Mary's, Wagner, St. Francis, and Sacred Heart.  Made zero sense then and makes zero sense now.

« Reply #194 on: January 28, 2019, 11:02:16 AM »
With the lack of depth on St. John's roster, it was important that Mullin give Roberts or Earlington minutes early in the season.  He chose to play his starters 35 mpg for teams like Loyola MD, MD Eastern Shore, Mount Saint Mary's, Wagner, St. Francis, and Sacred Heart.  Made zero sense then and makes zero sense now.

Nail on the head

TONYD3

« Reply #195 on: January 28, 2019, 11:06:59 AM »
Agree. But that should have been done after year 1. The fact that his staff sucks after year 4 is all on him.

« Reply #196 on: January 28, 2019, 11:16:00 AM »
yesterdays video of Mullin tying his shoes in the huddle has put a lot of folks at the university on high alert about looking deeper into where the program is headed under mullin.  There have been rumblings before this, but now with the video from yesterday, seen by all, the seat is officially hot for Mullin

« Reply #197 on: January 28, 2019, 11:16:44 AM »

The guy doesn't like to coach or recruit.  How about instead of getting rid of the staff, SJU gets rid of the HC who doesn't really want to roll his sleeves up and work?

derk

« Reply #198 on: January 28, 2019, 11:26:33 AM »
Nail on the head

Not so much giving PT to the rookies, as much as the difference in skill between Earlington, Roberts, Williams, and say McClurg. As a freshman he was clearly the best player on the court. They already have a leader for next year too. We have a bunch of " who knows what's "

« Reply #199 on: January 28, 2019, 01:19:06 PM »
Man crappy way to end the season, I'll be thinking about why LJ didnt drive the lane all summer!

The look Simon had on the follow up was a better look than LJ would have gotten.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.