Mullin to step down? Hurley in?

• 361 replies

sju89tr

Re: Mullin to step down? Hurley in?
« Reply #260 on: April 09, 2019, 10:53:12 AM »
It's time to go big and hire Pitino despite the baggage. That won't happen though.

Bobby Hurley is a good choice though, he is close to home, has been successful, and lives and breathes basketball.

Mullin is still the greatest Johnnie of all time, legends coming back to coach never works. 

As for Matt, he was leaving regardless, don't tel;l me the writing on the wall stuff. He was all out for himself and that's fine but you just don't make a lot of friends that way. 

« Reply #261 on: April 09, 2019, 11:03:56 AM »
I don't have any idea what transpired between the AD and Mullin or what were the reasons for coach stepping down, if it's in fact true, as I wasn't invited to the end of season meeting. There was a press release 2 days ago to the effect that Mullin is the coach and has the full support of the University. I read a post recently pointing out how St. John's has often removed coaches after successful seasons and it hasn't worked out so well. I was shocked when Hollywood left and would be shocked by this one as well. That is incorrect.

I suggested that perhaps certain posters might be mistakenly on the wrong website after they called Mullin an "absolute disgrace". I forgot what prompted the first one. I am very respectful of the opinion of others up to and including that Mullin is an awful coach and he should be replaced.Nothing has been proven, right or wrong. No need. It all makes perfect sense to me.
Carmine you are shocked by these coaching moves because you are clueless (said with love). Both moves were easily anticipated if one was close to having his finger on the pulse of St. John's basketball.

tnice

« Reply #262 on: April 09, 2019, 11:22:59 AM »
I don't have any idea what transpired between the AD and Mullin or what were the reasons for coach stepping down, if it's in fact true, as I wasn't invited to the end of season meeting. There was a press release 2 days ago to the effect that Mullin is the coach and has the full support of the University. I read a post recently pointing out how St. John's has often removed coaches after successful seasons and it hasn't worked out so well. I was shocked when Hollywood left and would be shocked by this one as well. That is incorrect.

I suggested that perhaps certain posters might be mistakenly on the wrong website after they called Mullin an "absolute disgrace". I forgot what prompted the first one. I am very respectful of the opinion of others up to and including that Mullin is an awful coach and he should be replaced.Nothing has been proven, right or wrong. No need. It all makes perfect sense to me.

The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind LOL

« Reply #263 on: April 09, 2019, 11:24:25 AM »
Lavin was not a "snake oil" salesman. Two NCAA tournaments and two NITs. For a program in the dust that means something. Not every coach is perfect and we were not a Duke yet but at least he had us winning always with thoughts of post-season. At least we always had a chance to land 4-5 stars and even if we did not always get them in the end we were were pretty damn close. And as for his own body of work he did manage to get 4 stars and a 5 star in here.

What did the current staff do? Shamorie, Heron, LJ , Simon and transfer U? Thats it. And Tabor 2 years out. That is not enough. Until this year, every other year of Mullin we went in knowing we had NO chance at post-season. This was only year we had expectations and they were not met. Lavin worked his tail off recruiting and did not just outsource to a single assistant to do it all. Lavin legitimately loved the school too (not saying Mullin did not but don't say Lavin was just in it for paycheck).

I get the naysayers that say we needed fresh blood and did not think we were taking the next step, but other than the money made this year as a program the Mullin years have taken us backwards. If you wanted a change should have been Mark Jackson or Hurley THEN. Heck maybe even Ewing with his coaching experience in NBA. That team is trending up.........
+1000000

Hiring a coach with absolutely no previous coaching experience was doomed to fail.  I still question who actually made the call to fire Lav and hire Mullin.  Chris Monasch was already fired.  Was this a Gempeshaw decision?  Did the temp AD have the power to make a massive move?

sju89tr

« Reply #264 on: April 09, 2019, 11:31:57 AM »
+1000000

Hiring a coach with absolutely no previous coaching experience was doomed to fail.  I still question who actually made the call to fire Lav and hire Mullin.  Chris Monasch was already fired.  Was this a Gempeshaw decision?  Did the temp AD have the power to make a massive move?

I am pretty sure it was the Pres. The Lavin era had to end, although I really like Steve Lavin. It's now time to make sure we make the right decision. Essentially we have been bad for nearly 30 years with only a few bright spots.

« Reply #265 on: April 09, 2019, 11:57:46 AM »
No offense, but if making it to the first 4 was a very successful season then the really set the bar low don't we.
We don't set the bar high or low.  The bar is at where it's at.

« Reply #266 on: April 09, 2019, 12:04:41 PM »
What is it with your undying loyalty to try and save face for Chris Mullin? The guy couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag. The overwhelming majority of people out there, not just SJU fans, knew this.

Yet you and a few other Mullinites still persist and act like the deck was stacked against him. You couldn't be further from the truth. He had a full hand and just didn't know how to parlay it. The days of Chris Mullin being a head coach at any level for any program are over. The experiment failed.

I’m not talking about his coaching I’m talking about the idea that he came and people ran away. That’s not true. If you didn’t have such a one track mind you could read what was written instead of taking it as another opportunity to add to your compendium of drivel.

As far as the experiment failing, while it didn’t reach the heights many had hoped, I would think culminating with a tourney appearance and the highest gate numbers we’ve had in a long time is a pretty nice consolation prize.

« Reply #267 on: April 09, 2019, 12:05:17 PM »
He had Ron M’Vouika because that’s the best he could do. 
He became the coach his first year very late in the game.  I don't think he can (well should - people here would blame him for a chlamydia outbreak) be blamed for the 1st seasons week roster.  This seasons lineup he owned.

« Reply #268 on: April 09, 2019, 12:10:09 PM »
Why do you keep excusing Mullin?
I'm not excusing him. HE MADE THE NCAA TOURNAMENT.  He doesn't need excuses. He had a very successful season.  Making the dance is a great year for St. John's. That's a fact. Just look back at the results of this team this century under many different coaches. You'll see.

Marillac

« Reply #269 on: April 09, 2019, 12:11:12 PM »
I was fine with both Lavin and Mullin even though they had coaching philosophies I didn’t agree with. They got talented players and they got us to the dance. That is my minimum expectation as a fan and they both met it.

Hurley has a chance to blow the doors off this thing from day one if he can bring a few guys with him. His staff at ASU was weak and he still has them in position to be a top 10-15 team next year with this recruiting class. There is no telling what he can do with Hsu and Borman and a pipeline to the NY Rens.

Hurley is still getting better too. He’s only been a head coach for six years and an assistant for three. He also has a philosophy I agree with.

pmg911

« Reply #270 on: April 09, 2019, 12:25:59 PM »
I was fine with both Lavin and Mullin even though they had coaching philosophies I didn’t agree with. They got talented players and they got us to the dance. That is my minimum expectation as a fan and they both met it.

Hurley has a chance to blow the doors off this thing from day one if he can bring a few guys with him. His staff at ASU was weak and he still has them in position to be a top 10-15 team next year with this recruiting class. There is no telling what he can do with Hsu and Borman and a pipeline to the NY Rens.

Hurley is still getting better too. He’s only been a head coach for six years and an assistant for three. He also has a philosophy I agree with.

If Bob Hurley is the next coach, he is not hiring Mark Hsu..  he will bring Burno with him, probably hire Borman as a nod to Cragg and hire an X&O guy with local ties...

« Reply #271 on: April 09, 2019, 12:26:29 PM »
Carmine you are shocked by these coaching moves because you are clueless (said with love). Both moves were easily anticipated if one was close to having his finger on the pulse of St. John's basketball.
I was shocked because the team has danced only 4 or 5 times this century so removing the coach after one of these few successful seasons seems insane to me. There's plenty of evidence that it is insane when you look at the aftermath of all these too hasty changes.

I know a lot about St. John's basketball from watching every game and reading this board. Guilty as charged of not having my finger on the pulse of it.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 12:31:27 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #272 on: April 09, 2019, 12:41:44 PM »
If Bob Hurley is the next coach, he is not hiring Mark Hsu..  he will bring Burno with him, probably hire Borman as a nod to Cragg and hire an X&O guy with local ties...

That sounds like a dream scenario. I would still love to see Rice get a shot, but after that article it sounds like Gemp has boxed Rice out.

Marillac

« Reply #273 on: April 09, 2019, 12:59:21 PM »

I’d expect him to bring Burno since they go back more than 20 years. Hsu could be the second assistant. I agree that Borman would be a likely add as well. I’d also expect him to bring his DOBO, Derrick Wrobel, since Wrobel was at St. John’s for 4 years with Lavin.

« Reply #274 on: April 09, 2019, 01:01:26 PM »
I'd expect some key players to leave now. Maybe LJ, maybe Simon. We could be looking at another 3-4 year rebuild.

sju89tr

« Reply #275 on: April 09, 2019, 01:05:44 PM »
I'd expect some key players to leave now. Maybe LJ, maybe Simon. We could be looking at another 3-4 year rebuild.

Why would LJ leave and why would he want to sit out? Simon I think would stay too and maybe even Heron.

Marillac

« Reply #276 on: April 09, 2019, 01:07:10 PM »

And also Hsu is an x&o guy with local ties. He’s from Queens. He was 3-1 as the interim head coach for WKU this year.

« Reply #277 on: April 09, 2019, 01:07:53 PM »
Why would LJ leave and why would he want to sit out? Simon I think would stay too and maybe even Heron.

Saw a tweet from Braziller saying multiple players are unhappy and have asked for their release.

« Reply #278 on: April 09, 2019, 01:19:50 PM »
Saw a tweet from Braziller saying multiple players are unhappy and have asked for their release.
Hopefully multiple means 2 with one already seemingly being Trimble and hopefully the other is Keita so no biggie if so. Other guys I would hate to lose.

« Reply #279 on: April 09, 2019, 01:27:27 PM »
Hopefully multiple means 2 with one already seemingly being Trimble and hopefully the other is Keita so no biggie if so. Other guys I would hate to lose.

Should clarify the actual word used was "several"