Mullin to step down? Hurley in?

• 361 replies

redslope

Re: Mullin to step down? Hurley in?
« Reply #280 on: April 09, 2019, 01:30:48 PM »
Thomas Wolfe was right--"You Can't Go Home Again".  The main character has had tremendous success but when he goes home, his friends drive him away.  Learning that an attempt to relive the memories of your youth fails (something Chris and those who were happy with his return have learned by this experiment).

Time to move on and remember "Redmen Forever" first and always.

« Reply #281 on: April 09, 2019, 01:33:21 PM »
I do not know them personally, ha.  What I meant to say was that from what I've read about the Hurleys - and I have read several books, articles, watched documentaries, etc, they seem to work their tails off when it comes to any team they are coaching.  I have only followed Danny and Bobby as a general college hoops fan would, i.e., not like I follow the "ins and outs" of our program, but have the same impression.

"Knowing the Hurleys"   You say that like you actually know them, do you..?

If you do, you have not followed him at his previous stops..?

Apologies if I misunderstood the post..

« Reply #282 on: April 09, 2019, 01:34:07 PM »
Yeah Jordan and Obekpa in any hypothetical lineup....

I don't know what the hypothetical lineup might have been if Hollywood had remained. I do know that the roster Mullin had his first season led by Ron Mvouika was one of the weakest D1 major conference lineups I've ever seen.

I was a Steve Lavin supporter and was quite surprised and not happy about the coaching change.

« Reply #283 on: April 09, 2019, 01:37:35 PM »
Why wouldn't he hire Hsu?  And please don't tell me its because of the Binghamton stuff.  Because I know a certain little person in South Orange who hired two of the worst guys imaginable to not get fired, and yet continually gets praise heaped on him.

If Bob Hurley is the next coach, he is not hiring Mark Hsu..  he will bring Burno with him, probably hire Borman as a nod to Cragg and hire an X&O guy with local ties...

SJUFAN

« Reply #284 on: April 09, 2019, 01:39:13 PM »
He also has a philosophy I agree with.

What is his philosophy?

« Reply #285 on: April 09, 2019, 01:39:54 PM »
Not sure how much I believe what Braziller says about our program right now.  There is a reason that another scribe - JP Pelz who is connected to the Hall - got the Rice story.  If Zach is "hearing" players are unhappy it's because you-know-who is feeding it to him or trying to stir up the pot. 

Saw a tweet from Braziller saying multiple players are unhappy and have asked for their release.

« Reply #286 on: April 09, 2019, 01:45:32 PM »
Not sure how much I believe what Braziller says about our program right now.  There is a reason that another scribe - JP Pelz who is connected to the Hall - got the Rice story.  If Zach is "hearing" players are unhappy it's because you-know-who is feeding it to him or trying to stir up the pot. 

Just seems like an odd thing for a guy to say who was seemingly completely out of the loop on the Mullin news.

I hope it's inaccurate. With the right coach, and a few late additions, I could see us being competitive with LJ/Heron/Simon running the show.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 01:47:56 PM by redstorm212 »

« Reply #287 on: April 09, 2019, 01:59:09 PM »
No reason we shouldn't be.  And hopefully they have the foresight and right people in their ear to avoid listening to the traitorous ego-maniac midget.

Just seems like an odd thing for a guy to say who was seemingly completely out of the loop on the Mullin news.

I hope it's inaccurate. With the right coach, and a few late additions, I could see us being competitive with LJ/Heron/Simon running the show.

Marillac

« Reply #288 on: April 09, 2019, 02:17:20 PM »

It’s a calculated risk. Of course there are some guys who want to leave. That was the case before any of this. Now they don’t have any coach! It would be a miracle if nobody threatened to leave. 

Zach is not a journalist. He’s a very mean-spirited narcissist who had one who had a symbiotic relationship with another narcissist in the staff. Now that his one source is gone, Zach is grasping at straws.

Marillac

« Reply #289 on: April 09, 2019, 02:19:20 PM »
What is his philosophy?

Multiple ball handlers, crashing glass, and intense defense from what I can gather. His 2019-20 team is set to have more guard talent than we have here in a decade.

Johnny23

« Reply #290 on: April 09, 2019, 03:31:26 PM »
I’m not talking about his coaching I’m talking about the idea that he came and people ran away. That’s not true. If you didn’t have such a one track mind you could read what was written instead of taking it as another opportunity to add to your compendium of drivel.

As far as the experiment failing, while it didn’t reach the heights many had hoped, I would think culminating with a tourney appearance and the highest gate numbers we’ve had in a long time is a pretty nice consolation prize.

He finished in the bottom rungs of the Big East 4 straight years. Forget reaching the heights we had hoped, he didn't even field a competitive team for most of his tenure here.

They were all but guaranteed to finish 9th or 10th in the conf next year. That's not improvement, that's regression.

He was forced out for all of these reasons. His tenure here will be remembered as underachieving, undisciplined and underwhelming in all aspects.

Mullin failed as a HC, you need to accept that.

desco80

« Reply #291 on: April 09, 2019, 03:58:34 PM »
We beat two top 5 teams in the same week last year.  Made the tournament this season.  Had a PoY candidate.  And in the two seasons prior to last, we gave Cuse their worst beatdown ever and beat them in a year they went to the Final Four.

I wouldve liked more, like all of you.  But Mullin deserves kudos and thank you for what he did not accomplish.

« Reply #292 on: April 09, 2019, 05:19:57 PM »
The best news, I believe, is that Chris’s resignation would mean we don’t need to pay him.  I hope I am correct. 

« Reply #293 on: April 09, 2019, 05:36:28 PM »
The best news, I believe, is that Chris’s resignation would mean we don’t need to pay him.  I hope I am correct. 

no chance -- him stepping down is just for optics -- he's being paid

« Reply #294 on: April 09, 2019, 05:47:33 PM »
We beat two top 5 teams in the same week last year.  Made the tournament this season.  Had a PoY candidate.  And in the two seasons prior to last, we gave Cuse their worst beatdown ever and beat them in a year they went to the Final Four.

I wouldve liked more, like all of you.  But Mullin deserves kudos and thank you for what he did not accomplish.
If you cherry pick you can make any situation look good. I'm sure you can pick out a series where the Mets took 2 out 3 in a series in 1962 so I guess you can give them kudos despite finishing 40-120. Whatever floats your boat.

sju89tr

« Reply #295 on: April 09, 2019, 05:51:02 PM »
no chance -- him stepping down is just for optics -- he's being paid

I am pretty sure that the Univ is spreading out the money so that SJU can move on.

« Reply #296 on: April 09, 2019, 05:55:57 PM »
He finished in the bottom rungs of the Big East 4 straight years. Forget reaching the heights we had hoped, he didn't even field a competitive team for most of his tenure here.

They were all but guaranteed to finish 9th or 10th in the conf next year. That's not improvement, that's regression.

He was forced out for all of these reasons. His tenure here will be remembered as underachieving, undisciplined and underwhelming in all aspects.

Mullin failed as a HC, you need to accept that.

I’m not going to accept what we don’t know. We don’t know what would have happened next year so I’m not going to chalk it up as a bad season. That’s asinine.

Mullin delivered the most exciting and cathartic win I’ve witnessed in my short 10 year fandom. He followed that up with a W over the eventual champions. He followed that up with a season where our names were called on selection Sunday. He leaves with a solid albeit incomplete roster that a new coach will have the ability to build on, something he did not have.

He also built some excitement around the team, selling out CA a few times and with a few exciting MSG wins gives Cragg a bargaining chip to expand our footprint there.

You think he was a failure but you, of course, are a chronic malcontent that lacks perspective.

I think he had a few rough seasons, some exciting wins and tourney appearance but left a lot of questions unanswered.

SJUFAN

« Reply #297 on: April 09, 2019, 07:58:36 PM »
I’m not going to accept what we don’t know. We don’t know what would have happened next year so I’m not going to chalk it up as a bad season. That’s asinine.

Mullin delivered the most exciting and cathartic win I’ve witnessed in my short 10 year fandom. He followed that up with a W over the eventual champions. He followed that up with a season where our names were called on selection Sunday. He leaves with a solid albeit incomplete roster that a new coach will have the ability to build on, something he did not have.

He also built some excitement around the team, selling out CA a few times and with a few exciting MSG wins gives Cragg a bargaining chip to expand our footprint there.

You think he was a failure but you, of course, are a chronic malcontent that lacks perspective.

I think he had a few rough seasons, some exciting wins and tourney appearance but left a lot of questions unanswered.

There are different lenses to look at this. We beat two top 5 teams last year back to back. That doesn’t happen by chance, that tells me we were not void of talent. Yet we finished 4-14 in conference. Clearly the administration was on board that change was good.

I don’t want to bash Mullin, he decided to move on and we, as a program, is better for it.

« Reply #298 on: April 09, 2019, 11:52:14 PM »
His 2019-20 team is set to have more guard talent than we have here in a decade.
How is that possible when we just had Ponds and once had a team that had Harrison, Jordan, Greene and Branch and another with Hardy, Horne and Kennedy?

« Reply #299 on: April 09, 2019, 11:55:14 PM »
His tenure here will be remembered as underachieving, undisciplined and underwhelming in all aspect
His tenure here will be remembered for equaling as good a result as any coach here has achieved this century and for facilitating the greatness that was Ponds.