New Coach

• 840 replies
Re: New Coach
« Reply #720 on: April 18, 2019, 09:57:56 PM »
Anderson Borman hearing chance to keep foggy and core

wpc77

« Reply #721 on: April 18, 2019, 09:58:55 PM »
Fellas - Anderson is a figurehead.  Arkansas was looking to fire him for the past 24 months after making a mistake in extending him.  Yes, never had a losing season.  But he's on the downside of his career.  This is a weak move.  Cluess would have been much better.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 10:00:30 PM by wpc77 »

wpc77

« Reply #722 on: April 18, 2019, 10:00:10 PM »
This is BAD

Agreed.  See my thoughts above.  What are you hearing about him?

« Reply #723 on: April 18, 2019, 10:02:41 PM »
I'm not a Tim Cluess guy but he would have been head and shoulders better.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

goredmen

« Reply #724 on: April 18, 2019, 10:06:43 PM »
This is BAD

There's no way this is worse than James Jones or Paul Hewitt.

Tha Kid

« Reply #725 on: April 18, 2019, 10:08:23 PM »
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #726 on: April 18, 2019, 10:11:23 PM »

Should we take this as the opening salvo of the downward spiral for a coach on this board once again.

Tha Kid

« Reply #727 on: April 18, 2019, 10:11:26 PM »

Tim Cluess' teams never played D...Mike's do.  Mike has made 3 NCAA's in 5 years.  Never had a losing season.  Is he not immediately our best head coach since at least Jarvis if not Louie?  What's not to like given the state we were in?

« Reply #728 on: April 18, 2019, 10:12:46 PM »
This Jarvis Part 2 Difference is Jarvis had players left to him.

« Reply #729 on: April 18, 2019, 10:18:12 PM »
Tim Cluess' teams never played D...Mike's do.  Mike has made 3 NCAA's in 5 years.  Never had a losing season.  Is he not immediately our best head coach since at least Jarvis if not Louie?  What's not to like given the state we were in?

His first losing season is going to be next year and the year after that. No connections to NY, bad personality, and can't see him working in NY. Recruited hyper local in Arkansas.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Tha Kid

« Reply #730 on: April 18, 2019, 10:21:21 PM »
His first losing season is going to be next year and the year after that. No connections to NY, bad personality, and can't see him working in NY. Recruited hyper local in Arkansas.

Not happy that you say he has a bad personality, but I think the NY connections thing is overrated as long as we get some assistants with connections.  Not like NY kids were banging down the door to play for us the last few years and we had one of NY's best players ever as our coach...

goredmen

« Reply #731 on: April 18, 2019, 10:22:39 PM »

If Borman comes on as an assistant as expected that will help with recruiting locally. If Hsu comes on that will help with recruiting nationally. Anderson has been through the ringer and succeeded in multiple high major conferences. He knows what it takes to win at this level. I don't think it's a grand slam by any means, but he is WAY better than James Jones or Paul Hewitt. We could have done way worse considering the clown show this became

« Reply #732 on: April 18, 2019, 10:28:37 PM »
You will suck for years to come. Looie has screwed this program over and over again to protect his legacy.

« Reply #733 on: April 18, 2019, 10:29:00 PM »
Anderson was the best option out of him, Jones and Hewitt. Not that bad and I think he can get Figueroa to stay.

« Reply #734 on: April 18, 2019, 10:29:26 PM »
If Borman comes on as an assistant as expected that will help with recruiting locally. If Hsu comes on that will help with recruiting nationally. Anderson has been through the ringer and succeeded in multiple high major conferences. He knows what it takes to win at this level. I don't think it's a grand slam by any means, but he is WAY better than James Jones or Paul Hewitt. We could have done way worse considering the clown show this became

Agree, you would have needed assistants with NYC ties regardless who was picked, at least the element of coaching  is not an issue

goredmen

« Reply #735 on: April 18, 2019, 10:32:25 PM »
Also, yes he has no NY ties, but he seems like the type of guy that will set up camp in the CTK gym and actually do the things Mullin claimed he would do when it came to recruiting NY. If he puts the effort in it won't take long for those HS/AAU coaches to notice and warm up to him.

« Reply #736 on: April 18, 2019, 11:20:06 PM »
Anderson is a great hire.  Second-best name mentioned during this search—-after Rick Pitino

QuanMan

« Reply #737 on: April 18, 2019, 11:30:13 PM »
@mattunion99
 52m52 minutes ago
More
Replying to @JonRothstein
Hog fan here-Coach Anderson will do an excellent job turning boys into men. Your program will be clean, the kids will graduate, and you will compete for postseason play. I can't promise NCAA dominance, but I can guarantee you the classiest program in the Big East if MA is hired.

--To add to never have a losing season, how about 9/18 seasons in the tournament?

--His Elite 8 Mizzou team was one of my favorite rosters in recent memory. Love his tenacious, defensive, hard nosed philosophy. Can't wait for the assistants TBA.

--Most satisfying thing amidst the negative onslaughts from every direction over the past week is that his resume is better than Cluess, Moser and Hurley.

--Mike Anderson will be the best coach to roam our sidelines this century to date. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 11:32:58 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #738 on: April 18, 2019, 11:57:23 PM »
On paper, it seems like his far and away better than the names being mentioned.  I wanted Pitino, Hurley and Cluess in that order.  It sucks that didn't happen.  If it's between Anderson and all these other freaking guys, a no-brainer for me. 

Dave's comment gives me some pause though because of how connected he is to this stuff.  Again, on paper, Anderson has done well wherever he's been (worked miracles at UAB, did a good job cleaning up the Snyder mess in Mizzou, did OK at Arkansas).

But georgraphically, can a guy whose career has been in the South work at SJU.  You better put the exact right group of assistants with him or it may be a disaster.  Hopefully he takes this job to work hard and right the ship instead of collecting a paycheck.

This is BAD

« Reply #739 on: April 18, 2019, 11:58:06 PM »
What's the issue with his personality?