2nd Signee- Damien Sears

• 107 replies
Re: 2nd Signee- Damien Sears
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2019, 10:07:09 PM »
Last year sucked. 
If Ncaa qualifying seasons suck, you either need a new team or a time machine transport to the Lapchick era.

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2019, 11:37:45 PM »
To compare that to mullin’s best season is ridiculous.
Lavin was great here.  Who's going to argue with that?

To say that one season is greater than another because it leads to a better Ncaa tournament seeding is reasonable and I wouldn't argue with that either. But to me losing your 1st Ncaa tournament game is losing your 1st Ncaa tournament game. Mullin's best season hasn't been topped since Jarvis the program destroyer.

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2019, 12:22:39 AM »
Mullin sucked as a coach everyone knows it, come to terms with it. He’s still the best player program has had. It’s possible to admit it.

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2019, 05:52:15 AM »
Didn't suck. Blown away by Marquette?  He had better success in the Big East tournament than either of his two predecessors. Yes, and for the redmen being the last team in the Ncaa tournament is a rip roaring success.

Lavin actually had byes in 3 of his Big East tournaments, something Mullin couldn't do once in his time here. In 2011 they made the big east tourney quarterfinals after beating rutgers, something else Mullin did not do. Listen I love what he did as a player and love him as a person, he just was not a very good coach plain and simple.

TONYD3

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2019, 08:40:47 AM »
If Ncaa qualifying seasons suck, you either need a new team or a time machine transport to the Lapchick era.
If Brooklyn tech hired a new immigrant who spoke 0 English to teach biology. And 100 percent of those students passed the regents exam. That doesn’t mean the teacher was competent and did a good job.
If your boy would have even done a half assed job (hiring someone better the St. Jean to coach for him) his lazy ass would probably still be here.
This is a silly argument. You went to the games. You saw what happened. Lie to yourself.
Going through the motions, position less basketball, game plan that doesn’t include offensive rebounding, 0 adjustments (besides go fxck yourself), pathetic lazy assistant coaches, transfer u, trust the process, getting embrassed in the big east tournament, bad shots, no box outs, lazy defense, and constantly making excuses and blaming things like shoe companies, cupboards, and facilities for losing is finally over!

I would hate this man a little less. If he just would have apologized. Instead he is proud of his less then half assed approach to coaching here. This losing never had to happen. This school isn’t cursed. The new coach doesn’t need or want a pass. His motto isn’t “get good players”. Lazy ass lost with terrible players. Lazy ass lost with great players.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 08:43:58 AM by TONYD3 »

Poison

« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2019, 08:44:37 AM »
Lavin was great here.  Who's going to argue with that?

To say that one season is greater than another because it leads to a better Ncaa tournament seeding is reasonable and I wouldn't argue with that either. But to me losing your 1st Ncaa tournament game is losing your 1st Ncaa tournament game. Mullin's best season hasn't been topped since Jarvis the program destroyer.

Harrington the program destroyer. Fixed it for you.

Poison

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2019, 09:07:31 AM »
If Brooklyn tech hired a new immigrant who spoke 0 English to teach biology. And 100 percent of those students passed the regents exam. That doesn’t mean the teacher was competent and did a good job.
If your boy would have even done a half assed job (hiring someone better the St. Jean to coach for him) his lazy ass would probably still be here.
This is a silly argument. You went to the games. You saw what happened. Lie to yourself.
Going through the motions, position less basketball, game plan that doesn’t include offensive rebounding, 0 adjustments (besides go fxck yourself), pathetic lazy assistant coaches, transfer u, trust the process, getting embrassed in the big east tournament, bad shots, no box outs, lazy defense, and constantly making excuses and blaming things like shoe companies, cupboards, and facilities for losing is finally over!

I would hate this man a little less. If he just would have apologized. Instead he is proud of his less then half assed approach to coaching here. This losing never had to happen. This school isn’t cursed. The new coach doesn’t need or want a pass. His motto isn’t “get good players”. Lazy ass lost with terrible players. Lazy ass lost with great players.

No coach we’ve had has apologized for the terrible job they’ve done.

And the only coach who deserves an apology from St.John’s is still being blamed for something that happened after he was fired.

Let’s just be glad that Mullin is gone.

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2019, 08:36:04 PM »
I’d say Kerr’s positionless ball theory is pretty sound

I’d say Popovich’s emphasis on conceding rebounds for getting into defensive position is sound.

I’d also say turning an empty roster into a BE contender with plenty of players set to return is a pretty successful run. Or at least set up for a successful run.

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2019, 01:27:55 AM »
Mullin sucked as a coach everyone knows it, come to terms with it. He’s still the best player program has had. It’s possible to admit it.
Or might it be that the program sucks and nobody can win big here. Or might it be that 4 or 5 year stints are not long enough and exasperate the problem by causing constant roster churn and making this an extremely unattractive and very tenuous coaching position. Dooming us to a never ending fruitless and ugly lather, rinse and repeat cycle.

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2019, 01:34:34 AM »
If your boy 
He is not my boy. He is our boy. He is St. John's Universities boy and the boy of all who are fans of this program.

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2019, 01:37:29 AM »
Harrington the program destroyer. Fixed it for you.
Thank you.

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2019, 05:31:22 AM »
Or might it be that the program sucks and nobody can win big here. Or might it be that 4 or 5 year stints are not long enough and exasperate the problem by causing constant roster churn and making this an extremely unattractive and very tenuous coaching position. Dooming us to a never ending fruitless and ugly lather, rinse and repeat cycle.

This I totally agree with. I'm excited about the coach anderson hire and hope he can succeed, but the coaching search was beyond embarrassing.

I do also have one question for you, what do you think Mullin did well as a coach? And I will not accept making it to an NCAA tournament as an answer or that he was left with nothing and got to a tournament in which that  is a success for this program. I generally want to know?

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2019, 11:05:55 AM »
This I totally agree with. I'm excited about the coach anderson hire and hope he can succeed, but the coaching search was beyond embarrassing.

I do also have one question for you, what do you think Mullin did well as a coach? And I will not accept making it to an NCAA tournament as an answer or that he was left with nothing and got to a tournament in which that  is a success for this program. I generally want to know?

Wasn’t to me, but he certainly brought excitement and fans back out. I also think he ran a potentially deadly offense that was missing one key player, and even without was pretty good on a lot of nights.

« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2019, 01:28:16 AM »
Lavin actually had byes in 3 of his Big East tournaments, something Mullin couldn't do once in his time here. In 2011 they made the big east tourney quarterfinals after beating rutgers, something else Mullin did not do. Listen I love what he did as a player and love him as a person, he just was not a very good coach plain and simple.
Big East tournament records:
Lavin 1 - 5
Mullin 3 - 4

Next.

« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2019, 09:55:24 AM »
Greg St. Jean 3-4 in big east tournament

TONYD3

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2019, 10:57:01 AM »
Big East tournament records:
Lavin 1 - 5
Mullin 3 - 4

Next.

Are messing around? Hard to tell. Wednesday games don’t count. Especially since he got embarrassed 3 times on Thursdays. As bad as lazy ass was, his big east tournaments were some of his worst performances.

« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2019, 10:41:44 PM »
Wednesday games don’t count. 
Yeah right.  And I suppose playing in Dayton means you didn't qualify for the Ncaa tournament.  There's plenty of ammo out there if one chooses to denigrate the greatest St. John's legend ever.  No need to just outright make ridiculous sh*t up.

« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2019, 10:51:47 PM »
I’d say Kerr’s positionless ball theory is pretty sound

I’d say Popovich’s emphasis on conceding rebounds for getting into defensive position is sound.

I’d also say turning an empty roster into a BE contender with plenty of players set to return is a pretty successful run. Or at least set up for a successful run.
Kerr and Popovich have the cream of the crop in basketball players. Namely, players good enough to play in the NBA.  Mullin had kids who aren’t even top tier college players.  They need more structure.

« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2019, 10:55:35 PM »
Yeah right.  And I suppose playing in Dayton means you didn't qualify for the Ncaa tournament.  There's plenty of ammo out there if one chooses to denigrate the greatest St. John's legend ever.  No need to just outright make ridiculous sh*t up.
I’m not gonna bother arguing whether Mullin did a good job or not.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  All I can say is I stopped watching near the end of the year.  I didn’t watch the last 3 or 4 games, the BET or the play in game.  First time ever I stopped caring about St. John’s basketball (or at least couldn’t bear the pain of watching).

TONYD3

« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2019, 12:12:01 AM »
Went to Vegas for the 1st and 2nd round. Brought my St. John’s gear. Never got to see St. John’s. I paid for improved internet and watched most of the game on the plane. Those boys played their hearts out, well not really. It was the same shit. Dayton counts. Chris Mullin Owes me 40 bucks for the internet.

Wednesday night wins over terrible teams followed by massacres the next day is nothing to be proud of. But your right. 3-1 on Wednesday. In the 3 losses on Thursday I think we lost by 150 points.

Happy it’s over. Any ammo against Chris Mullin is only out there because it’s the truth. He never should have gotten any passes. Things were wrong from the start.
Hopefully we can discuss basketball again on this site. It’s been a long time. The next few years should be fun. Our coach is 60 years old. He will only be here for so long. When he leaves. We just need to make another good hire. St. John’s can certainly compete in the new big east.