Steve DeMeo

• 360 replies

goredmen

Re: Steve DeMeo
« Reply #320 on: June 08, 2019, 02:43:30 PM »
On campus today we have a kid that started only 8 games for his JUCO (with bad grades to boot) and a kid that started only 15 games and averaged only 5 pts for Monmouth.

This looks promising 🙄

It's June. Would you prefer they give the open scholarships to whoever had the most assists in the SJU intramural league last semester?

« Reply #321 on: June 08, 2019, 03:02:27 PM »
On campus today we have a kid that started only 8 games for his JUCO (with bad grades to boot) and a kid that started only 15 games and averaged only 5 pts for Monmouth.

This looks promising 🙄

I share your concern. This is a random collection of guys.

Foad

« Reply #322 on: June 08, 2019, 03:42:22 PM »
Bootsy and Eric weren't studs ? Bootsy was runner up juco player of the year. That's not bad. Eric I seem to remember was big time in high school and prep too and was mcdonald's AA I think

They weren't studs before they played a game, no. In retrospect it turns out they were great players. Bashir Ahmed was JUCO player of the year, was he a stud? Because I heard he was a cancer. James Felton was a top 50 recruit, was he a stud? No, he was a dud. Were Lenny Cooke and Darius Miles studs? No because they never played a game.

Foad

« Reply #323 on: June 08, 2019, 03:59:14 PM »
I don't think anybody is saying these three guys Anderson has signed will become all-conference caliber players just because they fit his system and because Anderson is some genius. At least I haven't seen anybody really saying that. Maybe they are, and if so they are equally as dumb as those saying "oh no, the first three guys Anderson has signed are two star players, this proves he won't be able to get good players" two months into his tenure. And there are people saying that.

Like you said, we needed bodies and I'd rather the coach go out and find character guys that he thinks will fit here over burning a scholarship for two years on a guy like Sedee Keita just because he was a 4 star recruit coming out of high school.

Who knows how these guys will end up. Maybe they'll turn into solid role players. Or maybe they'll contribute as little as more heralded players like Sedee Keita, Mikey Dixon, Kassoum Yakwe, Richard Freundenberg, Yankuba Sima, Malik Ellison did.

I hope these guys will turn our to be solid role players and I'm all in favor of recruiting kids who will be in the system for four years and will be able to contribute as upperclassmen. Kids like Trimble and Earlington and Roberts, who were excoriated on this board by the same people who are now terrifically excited by Iron Mike's recruiting athletes who are perfect for his system, which system has not been too terribly successful over the past eight years and which they've probably barely ever seen. I don't think that the marginal players he's recruited over the past several weeks mean he's only capable of recruiting marginal players or that he doesn't know the difference between a marginal player and a 4 star recruit, but but I do think that moving forward he's going to have to up his game. Because I suspect he's not going to beat Jay Wright and Doug McDermott's father on the reg with herd of 3-star recruits. 

« Reply #324 on: June 08, 2019, 04:12:04 PM »
Although he started only 6 games he has good stats:

https://wsctetons.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1104&path=mens_basketball

goredmen

« Reply #325 on: June 08, 2019, 05:19:26 PM »
I hope these guys will turn our to be solid role players and I'm all in favor of recruiting kids who will be in the system for four years and will be able to contribute as upperclassmen. Kids like Trimble and Earlington and Roberts, who were excoriated on this board by the same people who are now terrifically excited by Iron Mike's recruiting athletes who are perfect for his system

I'm not sure I've seen as many people that are "terrifically excited" by these players but maybe I just haven't been paying close enough attention which is very possible.

I don't think that the marginal players he's recruited over the past several weeks mean he's only capable of recruiting marginal players or that he doesn't know the difference between a marginal player and a 4 star recruit 

This is logical. My issue is mostly with the posters that do think only landing marginal players is his ceiling because that's all he's landed so far in his two months on the job.

but but I do think that moving forward he's going to have to up his game. Because I suspect he's not going to beat Jay Wright and Doug McDermott's father on the reg with herd of 3-star recruits. 

I agree. He will have to land better players at some point but it seems like people were expecting him to land big-time players right out of the gate which was and is a completely unfair expectation. Those same posters talk about what a dump the school is and marginal program we are but don't see the contradiction when they are upset 4 and 5 star players aren't coming here.

If we are going into the 2021 season with Julian Champagnie as our go-to scorer, McGriff as our 35 mpg PG and Sears as our best big then yes, Anderson's recruiting efforts will have been a big failure. But for now, those are the guys he chose to fill the numerous scholarships he had to work with when there aren't any better options knocking on his door begging him to let them play here.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 05:19:48 PM by goredmen »

« Reply #326 on: June 09, 2019, 12:10:53 AM »
It’s a complete rebuild until proven otherwise.
Is it the word "complete" or "rebuild" that you're having the most trouble with?

Marillac

« Reply #327 on: June 09, 2019, 01:29:06 AM »
It's June. Would you prefer they give the open scholarships to whoever had the most assists in the SJU intramural league last semester?

Do you really think it’s down to guys like this or nothing?

There are quality grad transfers all over. Jesus, is it too much to ask for even a Ron Mvouica or Durand Johnson caliber transfer?

wpc77

« Reply #328 on: June 09, 2019, 08:06:57 AM »

There are quality grad transfers all over. Jesus, is it too much to ask for even a Ron Mvouica or Durand Johnson caliber transfer?

Picking are slim at this point (after mack and Thornton that is): http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26530279/college-basketball-transfer-rankings-2019-20-2020-21

Poison

« Reply #329 on: June 09, 2019, 09:06:52 AM »

Mvouica and Johnson are players we want more of?

« Reply #330 on: June 09, 2019, 09:27:52 AM »

Mvouika averaged less than 7 points in Missouri State before coming to SJU.

« Reply #331 on: June 09, 2019, 09:46:29 AM »
Anderson isn't inheriting a complete overhaul but not near as good as how Jarvis had it. Not even close.

Lets look at the Big East and where do we stack up?

Villanova- Even losing a ton their freshman are monsters and expect them to be very good
Georgetown- Lose Govan but love everyone who they are returning and bringing in. They're back!!
Marquette- Going to be Markus Howard show but the wheels could fall off here
Seton Hall- Powell chance to be POY and they're likely to be better than us
Providence- Return everyone who was impact guy and they'll be better than us
Creighton- Return everyone and will be middle of the road team again
Butler- Return everyone and add Battle. They'll be dangerous
Xavier- Return everyone and KyKy Tandy will make them better
DePaul- Well they should be last.

We are arguably anywhere from 7-9 imo.

Baldi's early guess

1-Seton Hall
2-Xavier
3-Marquette
4-Villanova
5-Georgetown
6-Creighton
7-Providence
8-St Johns
9-Butler
10-DePaul

Marillac

« Reply #332 on: June 09, 2019, 10:04:14 AM »
Mvouika averaged less than 7 points in Missouri State before coming to SJU.

Missouri St. is like Duke compared to Monmouth and JUCOs.

Marillac

« Reply #333 on: June 09, 2019, 10:05:09 AM »
Mvouica and Johnson are players we want more of?

You’re right, let’s get these two bench players for shitty teams. Much better than Durand Johnson. You are always so on the ball. 🙄

« Reply #334 on: June 09, 2019, 10:09:12 AM »
You’re right, let’s get these two bench players for shitty teams. Much better than Durand Johnson. You are always so on the ball. 🙄

Which kid from Monmouth?

« Reply #335 on: June 09, 2019, 11:12:55 AM »
Even being late into the game this is the worst collection of talent SJU has assembled in memory. Hopefully they are coached up.

goredmen

« Reply #336 on: June 09, 2019, 02:05:55 PM »

Yes. There aren't many guys available in June. If we can't beat out the UNCs Oregons of the world for high school players then we can't beat them out for transfers either.

If there are so many available start naming guys that you want that we would have a chance with.

Foad

« Reply #337 on: June 09, 2019, 03:55:25 PM »
I agree. He will have to land better players at some point but it seems like people were expecting him to land big-time players right out of the gate which was and is a completely unfair expectation. Those same posters talk about what a dump the school is and marginal program we are but don't see the contradiction when they are upset 4 and 5 star players aren't coming here.

I don't know that people were expecting him to land big time players out of the gate. I think they're surprised at the small time players he's settled for and are at least in my case annoyed by the coach-thirdchoice-iron-mike-doing-work-rhetoric which you might not have seen but I have. Maybe it's so late that there aren't any players left. And of course he gets a pass this year. But between Mullin and Lavin within 12 months of their hiring they'd signed a lottery pick, the third leading scorer in school history, one of the better guards who's ever played here, the JUCO player of the year and half a dozen top 75 recruits. And oh yeah a major league pitcher. So he doesn't get a pass next year. So he either needs to recruit better or demonstrate that his dramatic fall off in results at Arkansas was the anomaly and not his early success.

Marillac

« Reply #338 on: June 09, 2019, 05:29:07 PM »
Yes. There aren't many guys available in June. If we can't beat out the UNCs Oregons of the world for high school players then we can't beat them out for transfers either.

If there are so many available start naming guys that you want that we would have a chance with.

I can’t name anyone “we would have a chance with” because I don’t have any confidence Anderson and co. can land big recruits here yet.

goredmen

« Reply #339 on: June 09, 2019, 07:15:30 PM »

I can’t name anyone “we would have a chance with” because I don’t have any confidence Anderson and co. can land big recruits here yet.

Forget that. Name some available grad transfers right now that you would be satisfied with that a middling Big East program should have a chance with regardless of their coach is.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 07:16:02 PM by goredmen »