Remaining 2 Ships

• 106 replies

MCNPA

Re: Remaining 2 Ships
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2019, 04:52:10 PM »
I actually agree with you.

No surprise Marillac.  You’ve been the original Earlington fanboi since the beginning. 

ras

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2019, 06:01:29 PM »
I thought Earlington looked horrible in the beginning of the year. But he improved a lot by the end of the year...I’d like to get Rutherford, he’s not a world beater, but we need another PG and he is only a 1 year rental. Don’t remember his name, but Marillac would be happy to hear we had a 2021 5 star recruit on campus today.

Poison

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2019, 06:33:00 PM »
Anderson was my number 1 choice when I knew he was an option. I love that style of play. I think he can do well in this big east. But he is 60 years old. He isn’t going to be here forever. In 6/7 years another coach is probably coming. We need to make another good hire.

Roster churn- another made up concept from the mullin years. Of course it has to stop. No team lost players like we have in the last 4 years. As much as college basketball has changed no team lost 4/5 players a year. We now have a proven staff with a game plan.

Earlington- if anyone deserves a pass, I guess it would be him. He didn’t get much of a chance in the beginning. When he did he just he came in shooting. He isn’t a wing. He shouldn’t be gunning from 3 point land. Can’t imagine the Anderson will allow that. He was much better the few games he played at the end of the season.
He should be a great athlete. He should be tough. He had plenty of opportunities to play high level football.
Basketball wise he is limited. Just like mussini and frudenburg. He can’t learn to be 6’8. He can certainly learn to play post defense and rebound. Expecting any more from him at this level may be to much.
Sean Evans looked more athletic and was bigger. On a good team he was the 9th guy.

What style of play? You mean trying?

Foad

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2019, 06:45:43 PM »
Roster churn- another made up concept from the mullin years. Of course it has to stop. No team lost players like we have in the last 4 years.

13 players transferred from Arkansas under Anderson.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018/apr/04/mike-transfer-story/

"It's like a revolving door," Anderson said. "They come here and they leave."

https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Article/Arkansas-losing-player-to-transfer-74906200/

Five of Mullin's recruits transferred and none were very good: Dixon, Yawke, Ellison, Williams, and Sima. Six transferred if you count the walk on Holifield. Owens and Chris Jones graduated and then transferred. Mussini, Lovett and Freudenberg went pro. Other players graduated (Balamou, Alibeowtz, Ahmed) or were graduate transfers (Johnson, Mvoika)

As much as college basketball has changed no team lost 4/5 players a year.

5 players a year in four years would be 20 players. The list of players with remaining eligibility comprises 10 players which in four years is carry the one is 2.5 players a year. Hopefully you're not a math teacher. Or history. Or English. Ideally you'd be a janitor rather than a teacher but the NYC public schools being what they are I suppose we're lucky you're not the superintendent of schools.

Poison

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2019, 07:33:15 PM »

https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Article/Arkansas-losing-player-to-transfer-74906200/

Five of Mullin's recruits transferred and none were very good: Dixon, Yawke, Ellison, Williams, and Sima. Six transferred if you count the walk on Holifield. Owens and Chris Jones graduated and then transferred. Mussini, Lovett and Freudenberg went pro. Other players graduated (Balamou, Alibeowtz, Ahmed) or were graduate transfers (Johnson, Mvoika)

5 players a year in four years would be 20 players. The list of players with remaining eligibility comprises 10 players which in four years is carry the one is 2.5 players a year. Hopefully you're not a math teacher. Or history. Or English. Ideally you'd be a janitor rather than a teacher but the NYC public schools being what they are I suppose we're lucky you're not the superintendent of schools.

Williams transferred out, too. Sima wasn’t great or even good yet, but that loss hurt us because he wasn’t replaced. We really could have used some leadership on this team. Some transferred. Some went “pro” if you can call whatever they’re doing now pro. The point is, they collectively didn’t believe in Mullin enough to stay.

Marillac

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2019, 07:45:49 PM »
No surprise Marillac.  You’ve been the original Earlington fanboi since the beginning. 

You calling anyone a “fanboi” is so rich in irony that it will make posters double-check the author of the post.

You acted like Jasilounas was the next Wennington. You go crazy over every recruit we’ve ever had besides Earlington. You don’t just see the glass as half full, you force yourself to imagine a glass in the first place.

If Earlington wasn’t only 6’6 and listed earlier as 6’5, you’d be all over him like you are with everyone else.

I see value in players that won’t give up an inch in position down low and hit the glass.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 07:47:04 PM by Marillac »

Marillac

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2019, 07:59:59 PM »
Marillac would be happy to hear we had a 2021 5 star recruit on campus today.

His name is Terrence Clarke and he’s 18 year old soph that will never play a game in college.

SJUFAN

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2019, 08:30:17 PM »
His name is Terrence Clarke and he’s 18 year old soph that will never play a game in college.

Maybe so, but you have to be in it to win it. Shows the staff won’t shy away from higher rated players. He will need to show he can land them, and I believe he will in time.

MCNPA

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2019, 08:41:02 PM »
You calling anyone a “fanboi” is so rich in irony that it will make posters double-check the author of the post.

You acted like Jasilounas was the next Wennington. You go crazy over every recruit we’ve ever had besides Earlington. You don’t just see the glass as half full, you force yourself to imagine a glass in the first place.

If Earlington wasn’t only 6’6 and listed earlier as 6’5, you’d be all over him like you are with everyone else.

I see value in players that won’t give up an inch in position down low and hit the glass.

I have yet to see that from him.  He’s barely played basketball.  You’ve love Earlington since the beginning.  I hope
You’re right but I don’t see a very skilled player and he doesn’t have overwhelming athleticism nor size.  He will have to rely on his motor and there are plenty of players who also have a good motor in college ball.  I just don’t see a high major player here.  We have a few of them so he’s not alone.  Marillac, you’re all over the place with your opinions, calling players shitbags and all.  I wouldn’t say much if I were you.  I just called you an Earlington fanboi, which you are.  It wasn’t an insult.  You’ve just made it clear.

Marillac

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2019, 09:02:51 PM »
I have yet to see that from him.  He’s barely played basketball.  You’ve love Earlington since the beginning.  I hope
You’re right but I don’t see a very skilled player and he doesn’t have overwhelming athleticism nor size.  He will have to rely on his motor and there are plenty of players who also have a good motor in college ball.  I just don’t see a high major player here.  We have a few of them so he’s not alone.  Marillac, you’re all over the place with your opinions, calling players shitbags and all.  I wouldn’t say much if I were you.  I just called you an Earlington fanboi, which you are.  It wasn’t an insult.  You’ve just made it clear.

I don’t love Earlington by any stretch. I simply didn’t understand the negativity when he was signed given our extreme lack of strength entering last season. If it’s going to happen for him at all he has to show it this season.

It’s very exhausting that our fans only deal in extremes. You either have to love or hate everyone. There is no middle ground.

goredmen

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2019, 09:24:34 PM »

It’s very exhausting that our fans only deal in extremes. You either have to love or hate everyone. There is no middle ground.

I agree. It's almost like some people have already declared Anderson a Norm level recruiter after only 2 months on the job.

TONYD3

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2019, 09:48:58 PM »

Went pro, lol lol lol! Great point.

Marillac

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2019, 10:01:33 PM »
I agree. It's almost like some people have already declared Anderson a Norm level recruiter after only 2 months on the job.

There is a difference between being a Norm level recruiter and achieving Norm level results that I don’t expect you to grasp.

This is shaping up to be the worst class we’ve had in almost 20 years and we change coaches pretty often.

TONYD3

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2019, 10:23:43 PM »
There is a difference between being a Norm level recruiter and achieving Norm level results that I don’t expect you to grasp.

This is shaping up to be the worst class we’ve had in almost 20 years and we change coaches pretty often.
What’s your point? Are we in better shape or worse?
We have a real coach. Not looking for star ratings. Just looking to win

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2019, 11:54:41 PM »

Interesting stats. Out of the 13 that Anderson lost how many would anyone guess went to better programs ? I'd say 2 or 3 as my guesstimate.

In general hopefully we can slow down roster churn because even under Mullin when you factor in the guys that went pro it's not like they went to NBA or playing for big money. Not a knock on Mullin. People were killing Mussini. I liked him and wish he stayed. Freud was overmatched but I wish he stayed too.  I'm just hoping in general we get more roster continuity from year to year. I certainly expect to lose some but personally I'm in the camp that wants to see what Earlington can do this year.

goredmen

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2019, 12:00:12 AM »

So calling Anderson a Norm level recruiter 2 months into his tenure is not dealing in the extremes? Ok

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2019, 12:13:15 AM »
He absolutely does not look like he belongs in the Big East, that is he problem.  This has nothing to do with Mullin’s firing.  Earlington was a huge reach as was Roberts, but at least Roberts is a bit taller and an excellent athlete.   Earlington’s got limited athleticism, not a shooter and not big enough to be a banger down low.  He’s got no real position.  I’m all for the kid if he can show something but I don’t expect it.  I’ve heard he’s a very hard worker so we shall see.  I’d love him to prove me wrong.  Maybe he will turn into Sean Evans.  I would never chase him off the team.  I just don’t know where he belongs on the roster at this point. He can help with CMA using a lot of depth though.

Earlington will be here 4 years and he will exceed expectations. There is a reason he was recruited. He has instincts,toughness, & ball IQ. How can you praise any of the three recruits brought in and bury Marcellus?

SJUFAN

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2019, 12:16:46 AM »

Jesus Christ...Can they play a game before you cast your net?

Poison

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2019, 07:50:22 AM »
Maybe so, but you have to be in it to win it. Shows the staff won’t shy away from higher rated players. He will need to show he can land them, and I believe he will in time.

A lot of kids think they’re NBA ready. He wouldn’t be the first fool.

By the time he’s a senior, he could be out of the top 25 for all we know.

cjfish

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2019, 09:02:24 AM »

Earlington will be here 4 years and he will exceed expectations. There is a reason he was recruited. He has instincts,toughness, & ball IQ. How can you praise any of the three recruits brought in and bury Marcellus?

I agree on Earlington.  After midseason he looked good.  TOugh inside and not afraid to put it up with a decent touch.  I expect him to get minutes this year and contribute.