QuanMan

Remaining 2 Ships
« on: June 10, 2019, 10:15:19 AM »
Looks like we're down to 3 guys for 2 ships:

Glover SG/SF
Rutherford PG
Johnson PF/C

If Glover commits:

A) Take on Rutherford for PG stability, have a undersized frontcourt all year, especially if Steere isn't eligible until the 2nd semester.

OR

B) Land Johnson and have a inexpereienced Williams/McGriff backcourt.

Your thoughts?
Section 3
Section 116

Marillac

Re: Remaining 2 Ships
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 10:32:16 AM »
You HAVE to have a second PG.

Johnson looks like a shitball. He’s the kind of kid that would destroy chemistry under the past two staffs. Maybe Anderson would be able to get him to accept a PF/C mindset like Lavin an Mullin never would, but I still don’t see how Heron or Figgy can’t be better options at the four in smaller lineups.

Glover actually has some talent and could really help after next season when we lose at least Heron.

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 12:00:14 PM »

Johnson looks like a shitball. He’s the kind of kid that would destroy chemistry under the past two staffs. Maybe Anderson would be able to get him to accept a PF/C mindset like Lavin an Mullin never would, but I still don’t see how Heron or Figgy can’t be better options at the four in smaller lineups.

Glover actually has some talent and could really help after next season when we lose at least Heron.

So Johnson is a shitball? Sometimes you sound like a shithead though I agree if we take Glover would still like a point over Johnson.

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 12:24:21 PM »
During the season J.P. Pelzman tweeted that Earlington would leave to go play Football at Rutgers.  Was that ever disproven?  I would like to see glover, a grad transfer pg and a grad transfer big.  My understanding is that Steere won't be eligible till the second semester.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 12:26:28 PM by colelatshaw2010 »

MCNPA

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 12:46:16 PM »
During the season J.P. Pelzman tweeted that Earlington would leave to go play Football at Rutgers.  Was that ever disproven?  I would like to see glover, a grad transfer pg and a grad transfer big.  My understanding is that Steere won't be eligible till the second semester.

I can’t see Earlington staying at this level for more than this season.  If I had to guess, I’d say he transfers after this year.   I can’t see how his skills translate.  He will certainly buy into Anderson’s defense, but I have yet to see the stuff that makes him a Big East player and I think some of these guys we are and have recruited will take most of the minutes. 

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 12:53:21 PM »
So Johnson is a shitball? Sometimes you sound like a shithead though I agree if we take Glover would still like a point over Johnson.

How would you describe a 6’7 kid with no perimeter skills that wants to hang around the outside—who happens to struggle mightily with academics at the junior college level. Oh, and he wasn’t even a starter.

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 12:55:01 PM »
I can’t see Earlington staying at this level for more than this season.  If I had to guess, I’d say he transfers after this year.   I can’t see how his skills translate.  He will certainly buy into Anderson’s defense, but I have yet to see the stuff that makes him a Big East player and I think some of these guys we are and have recruited will take most of the minutes. 

If Johnson commits it’s highly unlikely Earlington would stick around IMO. I’d like to see one more year of Earlington personally unless we could add a Big East caliber starter.

MCNPA

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 12:58:23 PM »
If Johnson commits it’s highly unlikely Earlington would stick around IMO. I’d like to see one more year of Earlington personally unless we could add a Big East caliber starter.

Well he’s gonna be here this season it seems.  Either way I can’t see him getting a ton of minutes although the fact that Anderson uses his depth will certainly get him a few more than next year.  I just can’t see him staying after this season.  He’s not meant for this level imo.

pmg911

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 12:59:40 PM »

Heron & LJ can't play the 4 next year, neither is capable of defending the position effectively...  will lead to foul trouble that the team can't afford....

They will be the top two options on offense and maximizing their time on the court has to be huge priority.

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 01:05:10 PM »
Heron & LJ can't play the 4 next year, neither is capable of defending the position effectively...  will lead to foul trouble that the team can't afford....

They will be the top two options on offense and maximizing their time on the court has to be huge priority.

With Williams and wright sure to be solidly in the rotation, plus a PG to be on the court for a good portion of the game, maximizing LJ and Herons minutes will require some minutes at the 4.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 01:05:52 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 01:13:29 PM »

This was clearly Mullin’s mindset, and it’s why he deserved to be fired.

Earlington was a freshman last year and he barely played. How do we know what he will or will not become now? Freshman should be given the chance to come back to school in the fall after having spend the summer working on their game. Especially Earlington, who absolutely looks like he belongs in the BE.

QuanMan

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 01:22:23 PM »
Section 3
Section 116

MCNPA

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 01:44:22 PM »
This was clearly Mullin’s mindset, and it’s why he deserved to be fired.

Earlington was a freshman last year and he barely played. How do we know what he will or will not become now? Freshman should be given the chance to come back to school in the fall after having spend the summer working on their game. Especially Earlington, who absolutely looks like he belongs in the BE.

He absolutely does not look like he belongs in the Big East, that is he problem.  This has nothing to do with Mullin’s firing.  Earlington was a huge reach as was Roberts, but at least Roberts is a bit taller and an excellent athlete.   Earlington’s got limited athleticism, not a shooter and not big enough to be a banger down low.  He’s got no real position.  I’m all for the kid if he can show something but I don’t expect it.  I’ve heard he’s a very hard worker so we shall see.  I’d love him to prove me wrong.  Maybe he will turn into Sean Evans.  I would never chase him off the team.  I just don’t know where he belongs on the roster at this point. He can help with CMA using a lot of depth though.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 01:46:03 PM by MCNPA »

Foad

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 02:49:33 PM »
Especially Earlington, who absolutely looks like he belongs in the BE.

Agree. Big, strong, athletic and productive in the few minutes he got. Works hard. Football tough. Winner's mentality.

We've proven pretty conclusively that roster churn and firing the coach every five years doesn't work. How about some continuity for a change.

Poison

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 03:36:04 PM »
He absolutely does not look like he belongs in the Big East, that is he problem.  This has nothing to do with Mullin’s firing.  Earlington was a huge reach as was Roberts, but at least Roberts is a bit taller and an excellent athlete.   Earlington’s got limited athleticism, not a shooter and not big enough to be a banger down low.  He’s got no real position.  I’m all for the kid if he can show something but I don’t expect it.  I’ve heard he’s a very hard worker so we shall see.  I’d love him to prove me wrong.  Maybe he will turn into Sean Evans.  I would never chase him off the team.  I just don’t know where he belongs on the roster at this point. He can help with CMA using a lot of depth though.

I respectfully disagree. In the minutes I saw Earlington he looked physically able to play inside and he showed me skills that I didn’t know he had. It was a big mistake on Mullin’s part to not coach him up to play inside.

The point is, we should all want him, Roberts and Williams back because we need to develop kids into better players in order to have a program.

I could give a shit that freshman stink. That should be something we expect and accept. As far as I’m concerned none of us are able to predict what a player will become after one freshman season, and any kid who leaves (without exception) hurts the program.

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2019, 04:29:36 PM »
How would you describe a 6’7 kid with no perimeter skills that wants to hang around the outside—who happens to struggle mightily with academics at the junior college level. Oh, and he wasn’t even a starter.

No perimeter skills? He shot 42% from 3 not that I am giving him a ringing endorsement but your killing him for wrong reasons.

Marillac

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2019, 04:31:02 PM »

I disagree. You have to get your best players on the court as often as possible and our best four players all play SG or SF. Anderson’s system should limit the amount of half court defensive possessions.

I’m not saying stick Heron down low for 30 minutes, but there is no way this JUCO kid can offer more than either Heron or Figgy at the four at just 6’7 (and light).

Marillac

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2019, 04:36:55 PM »
No perimeter skills? He shot 42% from 3 not that I am giving him a ringing endorsement but your killing him for wrong reasons.

JUCO three pt stats are about as reliable as opinions. His shot mechanics are disgusting and he has no handle. I have no tolerance for unskilled tall players on the perimeter and I hope and expect Anderson shares that view—especially for guys at the end of the bench.

I have no problem with Sears because he knows his role and will put on a hard hat and go to work.

Marillac

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2019, 04:38:26 PM »
I respectfully disagree. In the minutes I saw Earlington he looked physically able to play inside and he showed me skills that I didn’t know he had. It was a big mistake on Mullin’s part to not coach him up to play inside.

The point is, we should all want him, Roberts and Williams back because we need to develop kids into better players in order to have a program.

I could give a shit that freshman stink. That should be something we expect and accept. As far as I’m concerned none of us are able to predict what a player will become after one freshman season, and any kid who leaves (without exception) hurts the program.

I actually agree with you.

TONYD3

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2019, 04:51:21 PM »
Anderson was my number 1 choice when I knew he was an option. I love that style of play. I think he can do well in this big east. But he is 60 years old. He isn’t going to be here forever. In 6/7 years another coach is probably coming. We need to make another good hire.

Roster churn- another made up concept from the mullin years. Of course it has to stop. No team lost players like we have in the last 4 years. As much as college basketball has changed no team lost 4/5 players a year. We now have a proven staff with a game plan.

Earlington- if anyone deserves a pass, I guess it would be him. He didn’t get much of a chance in the beginning. When he did he just he came in shooting. He isn’t a wing. He shouldn’t be gunning from 3 point land. Can’t imagine the Anderson will allow that. He was much better the few games he played at the end of the season.
He should be a great athlete. He should be tough. He had plenty of opportunities to play high level football.
Basketball wise he is limited. Just like mussini and frudenburg. He can’t learn to be 6’8. He can certainly learn to play post defense and rebound. Expecting any more from him at this level may be to much.
Sean Evans looked more athletic and was bigger. On a good team he was the 9th guy.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 04:52:32 PM by TONYD3 »