Game 4: Vermont- Saturday 11/16 4P (Queens)

• 365 replies

Johnny23

Re: Game 4: Vermont- Saturday 11/16 4P (Queens)
« Reply #180 on: November 17, 2019, 12:28:03 PM »
Heron looked bad yesterday, no way around it.

SJUFAN

« Reply #181 on: November 17, 2019, 12:29:27 PM »
Personally I struggle to see anything Heron does better than LJ.

Heron is a better mid range shooter. He needs to square his shoulders but looses discipline with his technique. Also a better passer and help defender. LJ defense has been disappointing.

« Reply #182 on: November 17, 2019, 12:32:38 PM »
Heron is a better mid range shooter. He needs to square his shoulders but looses discipline with his technique. Also a better passer and help defender. LJ defense has been disappointing.

I’ll give you midrange. LJ really struggles with body control once he gets headed to the rim. But a better passer? Disagree completely. Although Heron has had a few nice finds on side pick and rolls so far.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #183 on: November 17, 2019, 12:34:06 PM »
Heron is better shooting off the bounce. Also generally better at moving with the ball though he gets himself into bad spots doing that.

Once Heron puts the ball down everyone knows what’s gonna happen. Extremely predictable and that’s been my biggest issue with him since day one.

« Reply #184 on: November 17, 2019, 12:49:25 PM »
Once Heron puts the ball down everyone knows what’s gonna happen. Extremely predictable and that’s been my biggest issue with him since day one.

Yeah for the most part I agree. He had that really nice slip bounce pass to Champagnie (I think), a play he is capable of making and one I'd certainly like to see more of.

Foad

« Reply #185 on: November 17, 2019, 02:53:43 PM »
St John's Vermont recap http://www.bigeastboards.com/

« Reply #186 on: November 17, 2019, 06:34:44 PM »
This loss sucked but at least for me didnt even make top 5 of losses or maybe even top 10. I'd try and think about it but I've tried to purge myself of a lot of bad St Johns memories. But Tulane for me as Fun or someone mentioned would be top 3 ( we got absolutely bombed at JPOD's for those nickel beers after losing ). What was that loss Norm had the night they renamed the court for him ? I didnt think it at the time but that was a sign of a lot of pain I was about to experience as a fan

« Reply #187 on: November 17, 2019, 06:45:13 PM »

Poison

« Reply #188 on: November 17, 2019, 06:53:45 PM »
This loss sucked but at least for me didnt even make top 5 of losses or maybe even top 10. I'd try and think about it but I've tried to purge myself of a lot of bad St Johns memories. But Tulane for me as Fun or someone mentioned would be top 3 ( we got absolutely bombed at JPOD's for those nickel beers after losing ). What was that loss Norm had the night they renamed the court for him ? I didnt think it at the time but that was a sign of a lot of pain I was about to experience as a fan

This isn’t even a top 20 worst loss over the last 30 years.

St.Francis in 04-05 was awful. That’s the worst loss in program history.

Other strong contenders are Cal Irvine in the final Lapchick tournament, Incarnate Word in Mullin’s first season, and Delaware State at home in Mullin’s second season.

« Reply #189 on: November 17, 2019, 07:21:56 PM »
This team is fun to watch, they play an exciting brand of basketball. While I obviously prefer winning, I haven’t had this much fun with a St. John’s teams style of play since the Dunlap years.

Good crowd last night. Things got rough on offense when our top offensive weapon isn’t doing anything, also not hitting free throws really hurts. Still, love the things champagnie Earlington and Roberts are showing. Dunn is definitely more a 2 than a 1, and hopefully his efficiency improves but his 3 to tie it was impressive. This game gave me a lot of hope for the future that there’s a good foundation of 4 year players and this coaching staff will be able to develop some talent. Definitely would rather win when we’re 2 or 3 point favorites, but Vermont is a good team with an exceptional player who put them in his back. After losing ponds, sju just doesn’t have that player right now

SJUFAN

« Reply #190 on: November 17, 2019, 07:45:16 PM »
Yeah for the most part I agree. He had that really nice slip bounce pass to Champagnie (I think), a play he is capable of making and one I'd certainly like to see more of.

He’s capable of making those type of plays, which is needed for offensive efficiency within a half court set. You don’t see LJ making those type of passes. On the rare occasions LJ looks to drive the ball, if you cut him off he never looks to dump the ball off to a player on the baseline for a better look. Instead he looks for his own shot usually a floater.

TONYD3

« Reply #191 on: November 17, 2019, 08:37:48 PM »
This wasn’t a bad loss. At times the team played well. Problem is they aren’t very good.

« Reply #192 on: November 17, 2019, 09:01:38 PM »
While I agree we are not that talented we have more than talented to win at home against Vermont early in the season at home in Carnesecca. Also Heron and LJ are really good players. Maybe Heron had a rough game but he's still our best player.

I agree with that, it’s what I expect from two preseason Big East 2nd teamers. But at no point did I feel confident in either of those guys taking over the game in the 2nd half. Whereas Lamb did just that. They need to be that type of player for this team to achieve any type of success. I think the other players are giving us their best, just need these guys to come through in those key moments we need them to. Heron more on the offense and LJ on the defensive side. But I do agree with you on expectations.

Foad

« Reply #193 on: November 17, 2019, 09:04:22 PM »
Disappointed you didn’t go with a Ryen Russillo rift, who ironically enough is a big sju fan.

http://www.insideradio.com/free/espn-s-ryen-russillo-suspended-after-drunken-arrest/article_9a506870-8c35-11e7-81bb-2769447dd9d0.html

Sorry to disappoint you, but I had never heard of him or that story before. Had I I'd definitely mentioned it. Next up is Columbia, if you have stories about Columbia grads I've never heard of send them along, I'm dying for content.

« Reply #194 on: November 17, 2019, 09:13:02 PM »
Good crowd last night. 
If by good crowd you mean 4000 people on a prime Saturday 400 pm date and time that Mullin would have sold out for fun...then yeah.

« Reply #195 on: November 17, 2019, 09:17:48 PM »
Problem is they aren’t very good.
Why not?  How can you say that?

They have two 2nd team all-BE players and a host of talented others in Dr. Roberts, Williams and the Duke gifted by the previous staff, plus a new coach that's the best thing since sliced bread.

« Reply #196 on: November 17, 2019, 09:22:13 PM »
Sorry to disappoint you, but I had never heard of him or that story before. Had I I'd definitely mentioned it. Next up is Columbia, if you have stories about Columbia grads I've never heard of send them along, I'm dying for content.
http://www.perfectgirls.net/tags/Colombian/

« Reply #197 on: November 17, 2019, 11:54:01 PM »
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

SJUFAN

« Reply #198 on: November 18, 2019, 12:52:42 AM »
If by good crowd you mean 4000 people on a prime Saturday 400 pm date and time that Mullin would have sold out for fun...then yeah.

Your hero was incompetent and quit. There is no point to the constant attendance comparison.

SJUFAN

« Reply #199 on: November 18, 2019, 01:00:52 AM »
Why not?  How can you say that?

They have two 2nd team all-BE players and a host of talented others in Dr. Roberts, Williams and the Duke gifted by the previous staff, plus a new coach that's the best thing since sliced bread.

That same team with pre season BE player of the year candidate Ponds and Defensive player of the year in Simon finished in 7th place. What gift exactly is being left? You think being picked to finish 2nd to last in the BE means Coach was “gifted” a great roster or a 8th place finish roster?