St Johns vs Arizona St - 11/23

• 152 replies
St Johns vs Arizona St - 11/23
« on: November 21, 2019, 11:32:10 AM »
Revenge games as Ariz St dominted the Johnnies in last years NCAA tournament play in game.

Arizona St is a middle of the pack Pac 12 team.  They are 2-1 on the year beating 2 scrub teams and losing to a good Colorado team.

This will be the 2nd real team St Johns faces this year.  We came close to beating VT, the only other real team we have faced.

Getting dunn in the starting lineup is a must starting Saturday.  We cant have Rutherford out there and continue to play 4 on 5 on the offensive end.

I think St Johns gets their 1st big win of the season.

St Johns - 78
Az St - 74

TONYD3

Re: St Johns vs Arizona St - 11/23
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 11:48:41 AM »
Guys I wouldn’t worry to much about Rutherford. Dunn is going to play plenty.

QuanMan

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 12:04:03 PM »
Expecting a loud and strong Johnnies contingent in the stands. Looking forward to the weekend it's going to be a lot of fun. This is a golden opportunity to boost our stock. Playing UVA is house money but I believe we have the horses to contrast their slow, low scoring approach. First have to get through ASt. who always is a matchup nightmare for us.

Players to watch: backcourt duo of freshman Jaelen House and 6' junior Remy Martin. Thankfully Dort and Cheatham both are professionals now, they torched us last year.
Section 3
Section 116

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 12:11:38 PM »
Revenge games as Ariz St dominted the Johnnies in last years NCAA tournament play in game.

Arizona St is a middle of the pack Pac 12 team.  They are 2-1 on the year beating 2 scrub teams and losing to a good Colorado team.

This will be the 2nd real team St Johns faces this year.  We came close to beating VT, the only other real team we have faced.

Getting dunn in the starting lineup is a must starting Saturday.  We cant have Rutherford out there and continue to play 4 on 5 on the offensive end.

I think St Johns gets their 1st big win of the season.

St Johns - 78
Az St - 74

They beat us 74-65. That’s not dominant. If Heron or Clark showed up at all we could have won. Thankfully that monster Luguentz Dort is gone on a two-way NBA contract.

I would think our guys would be ready to bring it for some revenge. Heron was awful in that game and no competitor can be ok with that.

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 12:41:01 PM »
Expecting a loud and strong Johnnies contingent in the stands.
We can't make it out to Queens. We're going to represent strong in Connecticut?

Great job by you and others in making the trip. I'm bailing out.

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 12:44:46 PM »
Guys I wouldn’t worry to much about Rutherford. Dunn is going to play plenty.

Its not about Dunns playing time.  Of couse he is going to play.

Its about nailing this roster down, getting rotations going etc. 

We need to start forming this team into what it is going to be this year.  And Dunn is soooo much better then rutherford hes earned the starting spot.

There is no need to wait another second to make this move.

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 03:31:07 PM »
It seems like we have have a slight advantage in the front court and they have the advantage in the back court. Dunn will have to be huge defensively because Rutherford can’t guard that caliber of player.

Verge and the House are still adjusting to the level of play and can’t shoot yet, so it’s a good time to be playing them.

They appear to be a team that will be close to the dance but on the wrong side of the bubble. My money would be on ASU but it should be a very winnable game.

Poison

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 09:27:33 AM »
“There aren’t stretches where they are disconnected from what they are doing and they’re really competing. They’re making second-effort, third-effort plays defensively.“

-Bobby Hurley

He basically said we were lazy last year. Obviously, he remembers us.

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 01:58:52 PM »
“There aren’t stretches where they are disconnected from what they are doing and they’re really competing. They’re making second-effort, third-effort plays defensively.“

-Bobby Hurley

He basically said we were lazy last year. Obviously, he remembers us.

How the hell can someone reach that conclusion from quote above?

Only a delusional St.John’s fan could take a positive statement about one team and turn it into a negative about another.

Here is just one of dozens of positive comments from Hurley regarding Mullin at St. John’s:

“I have the utmost respect for Chris and the job he’s done to get St. John’s to the NCAA Tournament....”

TONYD3

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2019, 02:01:41 PM »
How the hell can someone reach that conclusion from quote above?

Only a delusional St.John’s fan could take a positive statement about one team and turn it into a negative about another.

Here is just one of dozens of positive comments from Hurley regarding Mullin at St. John’s:

“I have the utmost respect for Chris and the job he’s done to get St. John’s to the NCAA Tournament....”

Did you watch the last 4 years with your eyes closed?

goredmen

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2019, 02:14:53 PM »
Did you watch the last 4 years with your eyes closed?

Dude, it's time to give it up. Mullin is gone and isn't coming back. You're not going to change anybody's mind on how he was as a coach the same way nobody is going to change your mind about it. Coaches will praise opposing coaches all the time so no need to read into anything they say about Anderson or Mullin.

goredmen

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2019, 02:41:43 PM »
Came ready to play. All 5 players contributed in the first 4 min stretch. Nice to see.

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2019, 02:51:11 PM »
Really gotta take advantage here. Need LJ and or Heron back in after under 12.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2019, 02:52:10 PM »
LJ was blatantly shoved out of bounds with a no-call. Very frustrating.

goredmen

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2019, 02:54:53 PM »
Not a fan of the Dunn, Williams, Caraher, Earlington, Sears lineup. That is an 0-18 Big East lineup. Let Arizona State go on a little run to get back in it.

Marillac

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2019, 02:56:43 PM »
We have absolutely no offensive plan once again. It’s pass around the perimeter and heave a three or go one-on-one. This is insane.

Poison

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2019, 02:56:46 PM »
Not a fan of the Dunn, Williams, Caraher, Earlington, Sears lineup. That is an 0-18 Big East lineup. Let Arizona State go on a little run to get back in it.

I don’t like Sears and Williams trying to score. They better cut that shit out. Sears is on the bench in three weeks hopefully.

goredmen

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2019, 02:57:34 PM »
I don’t like Sears and Williams trying to score. They better cut that shit out. Sears is on the bench in three weeks hopefully.

Somebody has to try to score in that lineup

Poison

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2019, 02:58:16 PM »
These are terrible substations. No reason for Williams and Sears to be playing as early as they did.

Marillac

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2019, 03:02:34 PM »
The subs this game defy logic. Who subs like that up 14-2?

This is the worst half court offense I’ve seen in 20+ years as a St. John’s fan. Have we run one set play all season? Does Anderson even practice half court offense?

« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 03:03:13 PM by Marillac »