St Johns vs Arizona St - 11/23

• 152 replies

Foad

Re: St Johns vs Arizona St - 11/23
« Reply #140 on: November 28, 2019, 10:49:00 AM »
I know you don’t like him, but he was a good coach. I watched every Alumni Hall practice. He wasn’t a great tactician but he had a style that won games in March. We were #1 in the country in rebounding at least once with him.

It's nothing to do with liking or not liking Jarvis. I just find it hard to believe that Cook (11), Diakete (52) and Cuffe (63) comprised a number one recruiting class, even with Miles. Seton Hall had three rsci top 30 that year: Eddie Griffin (2), Andre Barrett (15) and Marcus Toney-El (26). Michigan State had #1 and #5. OTOH if it actually happened I'm sorry I missed it, I'd have been pretty excited.

TONYD3

« Reply #141 on: November 28, 2019, 10:56:01 AM »
It's nothing to do with liking or not liking Jarvis. I just find it hard to believe that Cook (11), Diakete (52) and Cuffe (63) comprised a number one recruiting class, even with Miles. Seton Hall had three rsci top 30 that year: Eddie Griffin (2), Andre Barrett (15) and Marcus Toney-El (26). Michigan State had #1 and #5. OTOH if it actually happened I'm sorry I missed it, I'd have been pretty excited.

Omar cook was so much better then barret and brown.

Johnny23

« Reply #142 on: November 28, 2019, 11:09:26 AM »
Damn it feels like yesterday even though it was just about 20 years ago, yikes.

Toney-El was so overrated. I used to watch him at Seton Hall Prep and he was a good player but should have been nowhere close to a top 50 national recruit. More like a top 150 in retrospect. He was a Desi Rodriguez 10-15 years earlier. Shannon Brown definitely overated too.

Bottom line is that it was a very good recruiting class for SJU that year, just say consensus top 5 nationally which I remember it being.

Jarvis was a solid coach, nothing more. Fran built this program back up and had it running on all cylinders and Jarvis rode the coat tails of that.

TONYD3

« Reply #143 on: November 28, 2019, 11:26:33 AM »
Damn it feels like yesterday even though it was just about 20 years ago, yikes.

Toney-El was so overrated. I used to watch him at Seton Hall Prep and he was a good player but should have been nowhere close to a top 50 national recruit. More like a top 150 in retrospect. He was a Desi Rodriguez 10-15 years earlier. Shannon Brown definitely overated too.

Bottom line is that it was a very good recruiting class for SJU that year, just say consensus top 5 nationally which I remember it being.

Jarvis was a solid coach, nothing more. Fran built this program back up and had it running on all cylinders and Jarvis rode the coat tails of that.
Back to the original discussion. When we have a competent coach we have a good team.

Johnny23

« Reply #144 on: November 28, 2019, 11:48:52 AM »
Back to the original discussion. When we have a competent coach we have a good team.

True. Gotta give Anderson some time but I already like what he's doing.

Marillac

« Reply #145 on: November 28, 2019, 03:02:46 PM »

You are missing #74 Willie Shaw.

Two things to consider:  (1) There are multiple lists each season and it was less uniform back then, and (2) all rankings consider the # of recruits when compiling these lists. E.g., a team that has the #1 and #2 overall prospects will be ranked lowe then a team that has five top 30 recruits.

I think it’s fair to say that #2, #11, #52, #63, and #74 is deserving of a #1 class many years. I also think that class beats the two you mentioned. Regardless of it was #1 or #3 even #10 it’s not going to happen with Anderson here and it’s extremely impressive at this awful program.

goredmen

« Reply #146 on: November 28, 2019, 03:37:44 PM »

Two things to consider:  (1) There are multiple lists each season and it was less uniform back then, and (2) all rankings consider the # of recruits when compiling these lists. E.g., a team that has the #1 and #2 overall prospects will be ranked lowe then a team that has five top 30 recruits.

I think it’s fair to say that #2, #11, #52, #63, and #74 is deserving of a #1 class many years. I also think that class beats the two you mentioned. Regardless of it was #1 or #3 even #10 it’s not going to happen with Anderson here and it’s extremely impressive at this awful program.

You realize comparing 2000 SJU basketball to 2019 SJU basketball is like comparing apples to razor blades right? Nobody really had a problem recruiting here before Jarvis and Jarvis is a big part of the reason why 2019 SJU basketball is where it is.

The program was trending in the wrong direction under Jarvis when they pulled the plug on him. There's a reason why he wasn't picked up by anybody for 4 years after he was done here and why he failed again at FAU.

Marillac

« Reply #147 on: November 28, 2019, 03:53:15 PM »
You realize comparing 2000 SJU basketball to 2019 SJU basketball is like comparing apples to razor blades right? Nobody really had a problem recruiting here before Jarvis and Jarvis is a big part of the reason why 2019 SJU basketball is where it is.

The program was trending in the wrong direction under Jarvis when they pulled the plug on him. There's a reason why he wasn't picked up by anybody for 4 years after he was done here and why he failed again at FAU.

I couldn’t disagree more. Nobody survived coaching at St. John’s. Can you point to one coach that left SJU and did even decent?

Firing Jarvis midseason was disgusting and amateurish. What do you expect when you let an incompetent university administrator like Wegrzyn take the reigns of an athletic department.

What was happening at SJU then was happening at every JUCO and college program in the country. Guys who have never been part of a college basketball program can’t even begin to comprehend how bad it is...and it’s every. F*cking.Day. That is the sole reason I got out of coaching. Drugs, forcing kids to go to class, fighting, etc. Football is even worse.

The mistake that did us in was Norm. He took a piece that will never come back. Programs can bounce back from scandals...look st Baylor. They rarely bounce back from irrelevance.

Anderson has three decades of coaching. He’s made an Elite Eight as a head coach and he won a national championship as an assistant. Kids commit to coaches over programs.

Foad

« Reply #148 on: November 28, 2019, 04:34:04 PM »

I don't know much of anything about recruiting and was referring to this list

https://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/recruit_rankings_2000.html

where Shaw is not mentioned.

I don't recall SJ ever having a #1 recruiting class, not with Mullin, not with Felipe, Zendon, Scott and Turner and not with Artest or Barkley. Even Lavin's second class wasn't top five. If Kyle Cuffe and Diakete were parts of a #1 recruiting class they need to reevaluate recruiting classes.

TONYD3

« Reply #149 on: November 28, 2019, 05:58:27 PM »
HUGE part of that class being so highly rated was Darius miles who never played for us

ras

« Reply #150 on: November 28, 2019, 08:16:34 PM »
I don't know much of anything about recruiting and was referring to this list

https://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/recruit_rankings_2000.html

where Shaw is not mentioned.

I don't recall SJ ever having a #1 recruiting class, not with Mullin, not with Felipe, Zendon, Scott and Turner and not with Artest or Barkley. Even Lavin's second class wasn't top five. If Kyle Cuffe and Diakete were parts of a #1 recruiting class they need to reevaluate recruiting classes.
I remember  Lavins  class being ranked #3, but of course Pelle and Samson never panned out that year,

« Reply #151 on: November 28, 2019, 08:41:21 PM »
Jarvis won like crazy he was still recruiting well in spite of a laughable budget and the worst facilities in major college sports.

But our fans are so quick to label guys lazy and begin to hate them it’s complete delusion. The rumor mill and the nastiness is out of control. Fran spoke publicly about those elements at St. John’s and why it makes the job impossible during the Hurley debacle.

Jarvis made the tournament in March 2002. Later that same year our fans were chanting “Fire Jarvis!” — in a season he won the NIT, months after making the tournament, two years after winning the Big East and getting the #1 ranked class in the country, and three years after coming one shot away from the Final Four.

Then we got Norm.
The Jarvis teams progressively got worse. The first few years were my favorite as a fan and you can certainly argue in hindsight maybe he got knocked too much but the team was trending lower. What was the difference in our facilities or budget from Jarvis or his predecessor Fran ? Yes Fran completely out recruited him with players who made it to campus. Jarvis stopped recruiting local kids. To be fair you gotta admit that he got worse.  That NIT championship year was all a mirage. He told a gym of hich school coaches he wasn't going just going to recruit jucos. Google I think it was that guy Krauser the pg or something like that. He said something like he circled STJ every year because he was so mad out Jarvis lacked attempting to recruit him or something like that

He needed to go. Worst mistake ever though like you mentioned was hiring Norm. The only thing that did was create the meteoric rise of Marco Baldi :)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 09:33:51 PM by mjmaherjr »

Foad

« Reply #152 on: November 28, 2019, 09:27:06 PM »
I remember  Lavins  class being ranked #3

Okay then. Evidently we've regularly had top five classes, none of which amounted to anything.