St Johns vs Arizona St - 11/23

• 152 replies

Marillac

Re: St Johns vs Arizona St - 11/23
« Reply #120 on: November 27, 2019, 12:38:04 AM »
Jarvis was a arrogant prick. The issue isn’t that we replaced Jarvis. The problem is we hired Norm. The issue wasn’t that we let Lavin go, although I do believe he would have been successful here, it’s that we hired Mullin.

We should have made an offer to Pitino, maybe we did who knows. If we couldn’t get Pitino then CMA was the best of the coaches available.

Jarvis won like crazy he was still recruiting well in spite of a laughable budget and the worst facilities in major college sports.

But our fans are so quick to label guys lazy and begin to hate them it’s complete delusion. The rumor mill and the nastiness is out of control. Fran spoke publicly about those elements at St. John’s and why it makes the job impossible during the Hurley debacle.

Jarvis made the tournament in March 2002. Later that same year our fans were chanting “Fire Jarvis!” — in a season he won the NIT, months after making the tournament, two years after winning the Big East and getting the #1 ranked class in the country, and three years after coming one shot away from the Final Four.

Then we got Norm.

« Reply #121 on: November 27, 2019, 01:39:09 AM »
Honestly don’t get what you are trying to accomplish. It’s kind of amusing. The maac coach was interested, I know that because I asked him. Saw him in a deli, really nice guy spoke to him for about 10 minutes. I like defense so he wasn’t my pick. Don’t understand why the school wasn’t interested. Not my type of coach but he would have been good. HARD WORKER!
The Loyola coach went to the final 4 and would have been a HUGE upgrade on what we had. He didn’t want to leave the mid west, and since he is QUALIFIED he thinks he will get Another chance. What was embarrassing about talking to him about the job?
Our amazing AD used his contacts and hit a home run with Anderson. Nothing embarrassing about him. The guy has come in working. All you can ask for. If he is here 5 years we will win 100 games. 7 years close to 150.
20-59 with 40 of those losses coming by knockout is embarrassing. Getting killed in the garden with a full house on national TV 3 years in a row during the big east tournament is embarrassing. I could go on and on.
Was Michigan embarrassed when Cooley told them no? They hired their QUALIFIED hero to coach the team.
Patrick Ewing was on the Greenberg and Dakich pod cast today. Worth a listen. He isn’t going to be shit canned any time soon. Ewing is working hard!
Our school isn’t cursed. We are no laughingstock. Plenty of winning tradition here. The next 5/7 or more years will be fun. But selfishly I hope you guys keep this up. So funny!

So the Loyola coach that has zero ties to the East and took 8 years to have a winning conference record was a huge upgrade? He had a nice Cinderella run to the Final Four. That's it.

I wonder why no other teams from the major conferences went after Mr.Moser?  Our "amazing" AD offered this guy an 8 yr deal. Picture that. That's how you know he was incompetent during the search.

Anderson was a safe hire and only by pure luck. There will be some decent years but nothing more than that. I guess as a SJU fan that is the mountain.

SJUFAN

« Reply #122 on: November 27, 2019, 11:55:01 AM »
Jarvis won like crazy he was still recruiting well in spite of a laughable budget and the worst facilities in major college sports.

But our fans are so quick to label guys lazy and begin to hate them it’s complete delusion. The rumor mill and the nastiness is out of control. Fran spoke publicly about those elements at St. John’s and why it makes the job impossible during the Hurley debacle.

Jarvis made the tournament in March 2002. Later that same year our fans were chanting “Fire Jarvis!” — in a season he won the NIT, months after making the tournament, two years after winning the Big East and getting the #1 ranked class in the country, and three years after coming one shot away from the Final Four.

Then we got Norm.

Jarvis wasn’t a good recruiter. He was living off the success he had with Frans players. We didn’t have the number one class since Miles never played for us. Cook fell into our laps.

His recruiting was on a down hill trajectory and his coaching was decent because it was predicated on defense, his offense was terrible. Look at his success at other programs since he left. We should have never fired him mid season.

Poison

« Reply #123 on: November 27, 2019, 01:22:28 PM »
Jarvis wasn’t a good recruiter. He was living off the success he had with Frans players. We didn’t have the number one class since Miles never played for us. Cook fell into our laps.

His recruiting was on a down hill trajectory and his coaching was decent because it was predicated on defense, his offense was terrible. Look at his success at other programs since he left. We should have never fired him mid season.

Jarvis was a decent recruiter. Brought in Cook, Hatten, Cuffe, Ingram, Keita, Diakite, Shaw etc. He also brought in Albert Richardson, Donald Emanuel, Heath Orvis, Jack Wolfinger, Tristan Smith and Curtis Johnson.

A great recruiter? We’ve only had one: Fran. He brought in Artest, Barkley, Jessie, Glover, Barkley, Thornton and Gray-and he brought Gray with him when he left Manhattan to take the St.John’s job.

The problem with calling Jarvis a good recruiter is that he wasn't a good recruiter. He was a good coach. Most players did improve. At first, he usually got the most out of each player. When he had the horses, his teams were great. When he had to get his own horses, it was live or die by one player. Omar Cook, and then Marcus Hatten. There was never a second best player. His final year, he didn’t have a go to player. He didn’t have that senior leader. There was no energy. That’s all on him. It was completely his team.

He grew into an arrogant prick, who didn't bother to think before he spoke. That was really the end for him.

He didn't come across that way when he coached at GW.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 08:22:04 PM by Poison »

« Reply #124 on: November 27, 2019, 02:33:24 PM »
Jarvis was a decent recruiter. Brought in Cook, Hatten, Cuffe, Ingram, Keita, Diakite, Shaw etc. He also brought in Albert Richardson, Donald Emanuel, Heath Orvis, Jack Wolfinger, Tristan Smith and Curtis Johnson.

The problem with calling Jarvis a good recruiter is that he wasn't a good recruiter. He was a good coach. Most players did improved. At first, he usually got the most out of each player. When he had the horses, his teams were great. When he had to get his own horses, it was live or die by one player. Omar Cook, and then Marcus Hatten. There was never a second best player.

That, and he grew into an arrogant prick, who didn't bother to think before he spoke.
That was really the end for him.

He didn't come across that way when he coached at GW.

He also brought in Eric King and Willie Shaw that were very highly regarded. Along with Cook leaving, those two guys not working played a big part in Jarvis falling out. His arrogance was second to none. The Jarvis & Jason Fraser MSG story is classic.

TONYD3

« Reply #125 on: November 27, 2019, 03:31:39 PM »
So the Loyola coach that has zero ties to the East and took 8 years to have a winning conference record was a huge upgrade? He had a nice Cinderella run to the Final Four. That's it.

I wonder why no other teams from the major conferences went after Mr.Moser?  Our "amazing" AD offered this guy an 8 yr deal. Picture that. That's how you know he was incompetent during the search.

Anderson was a safe hire and only by pure luck. There will be some decent years but nothing more than that. I guess as a SJU fan that is the mountain.
I didn’t want porter moser. But I would have taken his barber over your hero. I would also have taken you, carmine, and even Foady. I don’t think any of you including the barber would make good coaches. But I would think you would at least try. DID YOU WATCH THE LAST 4 years with your eyes closed?
That Loyola team won, (from memory) like 20 games in a row. If you think coach Mullin could do that? I can’t even finish the sentence
Anderson is safe hire? What the hell does that mean? The guy wins. He is a slam dunk home run great hire. Last year was one of his worst seasons. He went to the NIT. Without his best player he killed providence. That’s not amazing but I will certainly take it.

Marillac

« Reply #126 on: November 27, 2019, 05:20:48 PM »

Jarvis wasn’t a good receuiter? Goddamn you’re stupid. He has the #1 class in the country at ST. JOHN’S. He landed Marc’s Hatten and McDonalds All-American Elijah Ingram at the end without a real AD and with a budget so low he had to pick up recruits in a station wagon...and out facilities were disgusting. He may have missed on a few of those high recruits like Diakate and he was hurt by not being realistic about Darius Miles and Lenny Cook, but that happens to every good coach at some point. He could get the big fish.

He benefitted from talent already here but he was a machine at BU and GW for many years prior.

Foad

« Reply #127 on: November 27, 2019, 06:57:53 PM »
Jarvis wasn’t a good receuiter? Goddamn you’re stupid. He has the #1 class in the country at ST. JOHN’S.

I do not recall Jarvis recruiting a #1 class, can you expand? Random googling I find a Newsday article that suggests he'd landed "one of the top" recruiting classes in the country, but that article cites as an expert "Sam Albano … national correspondent for the Web site redmen.com," which is hilarious on various levels, on the level of someone citing me as a national correspondent for bigeastboards.com. The recruits in that class included Darius Miles, Mo Diakete, Willie Shaw, Kyle Cuffe, Eric King, and Omar Cook, who almost none of those were worth a scholarship except Cook as a freshman and Cuffe as a senior. If not that what class are you referring to?

TONYD3

« Reply #128 on: November 27, 2019, 07:18:19 PM »
I do not recall Jarvis recruiting a #1 class, can you expand? Random googling I find a Newsday article that suggests he'd landed "one of the top" recruiting classes in the country, but that article cites as an expert "Sam Albano … national correspondent for the Web site redmen.com," which is hilarious on various levels, on the level of someone citing me as a national correspondent for bigeastboards.com. The recruits in that class included Darius Miles, Mo Diakete, Willie Shaw, Kyle Cuffe, Eric King, and Omar Cook, who almost none of those were worth a scholarship except Cook as a freshman and Cuffe as a senior. If not that what class are you referring to?
That class almost had Carlos boozer if you believe all the rumors

Marillac

« Reply #129 on: November 27, 2019, 08:00:42 PM »

That was the class. #1 in the country. All besides King were top 75 with Mikes and Cook playing in the McDonalds All-American game. Cook going pro was obviously disastrous...his fellow NYC All-American PGs from that class stayed all four years. Losing a McDonalds All-American like Miles to the draft was a tough blow too. Diakete was disappointing but every coach missed on bigs fairly often. Coach K is a prime example.

And to TonyD, yes we almost had Boozer. It was us and Duke. That will never happen again.

This was all with horrible facilities, no AD, and a MAAC budget.

Marillac

« Reply #130 on: November 27, 2019, 08:04:18 PM »

Sam produced Inside the Big East at the time, so it’s not accurate to label him as a regular poster. He wasaso 100x more connected then than any poster is now.

« Reply #131 on: November 27, 2019, 08:17:43 PM »
Sam produced Inside the Big East at the time, so it’s not accurate to label him as a regular poster. He wasaso 100x more connected then than any poster is now.

You mean Paultzman isn't plugged in?

Albano's son was also a team manager during the Jarvis years.

Foad

« Reply #132 on: November 27, 2019, 08:49:30 PM »
That was the class. #1 in the country.

I'm unable to locate any reference that calls that the #1 class in the country. Perhaps you can.

Foad

« Reply #133 on: November 27, 2019, 08:55:00 PM »

I didn't say anything about anyone being a "regular poster" and neither did the source I cited. What's inaccurate is labelling a poster on redmen dot com - an obscure website with two hundred regular posters most of whom are barely literate - a "national correspondent." Unless you think Poison is a credible source as a "national correspondent" for Johnny Jungle.

TONYD3

« Reply #134 on: November 27, 2019, 09:22:01 PM »
I'm unable to locate any reference that calls that the #1 class in the country. Perhaps you can.
Long time ago. I remember that class being rated #3. Not saying that’s correct. Those guys got off to a great start. Beating Kentucky at the buzzer in preseason NIT. I remember so much about that night. If someone would have told me that we would be awful for half of the next 20 years I never would have believed them.

« Reply #135 on: November 27, 2019, 09:47:33 PM »
It was ranked number one on the Marillac Recruiting Rankings. I do seem to recall it was a top 3 class if you include Darius Miles who never made it to the bucolic campus located in Jamaica, Queens, opting instead for the NBA draft as had been long rumored and was probably why we were able to secure his commitment.

« Reply #136 on: November 28, 2019, 12:25:23 AM »
That technical for flopping thing is a riot. I didn't know that existed. Watching flopper king Hurley getting angry about it was hilarious. I think the Kryschewski era is officially over.
See that. They can't even beat Stephen Austin without the flopping.

Marillac

« Reply #137 on: November 28, 2019, 01:26:43 AM »
You mean Paultzman isn't plugged in?

That’s a joke right?

Marillac

« Reply #138 on: November 28, 2019, 01:47:03 AM »
I didn't say anything about anyone being a "regular poster" and neither did the source I cited. What's inaccurate is labelling a poster on redmen dot com - an obscure website with two hundred regular posters most of whom are barely literate - a "national correspondent." Unless you think Poison is a credible source as a "national correspondent" for Johnny Jungle.

You wrote that it was “on the level of someone citing to me as a National correspondent for bigeastboards.com.” I took that to mean a publication citing to a poster on a forum.

The internet was really just becoming widespread 20 years ago  so I think that sloppy description wouldn’t have been viewed as poorly. He probably should have just gone with “close to the program.”

The difference between the #1 and #3 class is negligible and it’s just splitting hairs. I remember it being #1 at some point. Perhaps my memory is off or perhaps they adjusted the rankings after Miles decided to go pro. The point was that he was recruiting big time players to this crappy school with no support, awful facilities, no extension, no AD, and no budget.

I know you don’t like him, but he was a good coach. I watched every Alumni Hall practice. He wasn’t a great tactician but he had a style that won games in March. We were #1 in the country in rebounding at least once with him.

« Reply #139 on: November 28, 2019, 08:50:01 AM »

I know you don’t like him, but he was a good coach. I watched every Alumni Hall practice. He wasn’t a great tactician but he had a style that won games in March. We were #1 in the country in rebounding at least once with him.

And you can’t get excited about Mike Anderson?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.