Ceiling of this Team Now that We Have Begun BE Play

• 145 replies

SJUFAN

Re: Ceiling of this Team Now that We Have Begun BE Play
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2020, 11:02:23 PM »

[/quote]
Have you ever given a height and weight to the SJU athletic department for a roster? I have. It’s not Alabama. They don’t have a scale or measuring tape. They give you literally hours to get in before the media guide deadline and if you don’t respond it’s the same size as your frehman year. I had a teammate listed at 210 when he was 250.

Stop the BS, your a fraud. You want us to believe your observations over the programs media guide cause it fits your narrative. Your a clown. I’m not suggesting there hasn’t been any development from last year, that’s not the point. To suggest he couldn’t have contributed similarly last year against the likes of Sacred Heart because it doesn’t fit your narrative is disingenuous and speaks towards your credibility. Or maybe your just one of those idiots you speak of.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 11:17:55 PM by SJUFAN »

Marillac

« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2020, 11:32:21 PM »

Stop the BS, your a fraud. You want us to believe your observations over the programs media guide cause it fits your narrative. Your a clown. I’m not suggesting there hasn’t been any development from last year, that’s not the point. To suggest he couldn’t have contributed similarly last year against the likes of Sacred Heart because it doesn’t fit your narrative is disingenuous and speaks towards your credibility. Or maybe your just one of those idiots you speak of.

You continually misuse your and you’re, but we will trust your word that you aren’t an idiot.

You win. Josh Roberts broke out game one this year but he’s the first freshman to not get bigger or better in any way, shape, or form.  Actually, maybe he is worse this year? He could have been All-American last year if Mullin only played him.

Where were your demands last year? Not a single poster had a more over the top projection for him than my NBA ceiling, and I conceded he obviously wasn’t ready for meaningful minutes. But you know it all.

Rebuilding seasons with potential for 23 wins! You are a riot. But you don’t jump without a parachute...you bring a few actually. Horrible roster from Mullin and first year head coach to open when we finish last or close to it. You won’t be shy to pull those cords when needed.

For the sanity of the posters you and your crew haven’t chased away, I will be adding you to my ignore list. #3 in 20 years. Congrats. Arguing with actual idiots is impossible and pointless.

« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2020, 01:49:09 AM »
Now what about his absolutely awful coaching staff?
I wouldn't criticize assistant coaches without more behind the scene knowledge about Staff dynamics.
The first thing he should have done was hire an experienced assistant. That’s what Ewing did. That’s what juwan Howard did. That’s what anyone in their right mind would have done. 
He did. His name was Slice.
Have I lied yet carmine?
No I don't think so. I'm crediting you with 3 consecutive posts without a Lie. Must be a record for you.
Is 20-59 starting to make sense yet?
It's 2 numbers. I don't think it makes sense or doesn't make sense.

« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2020, 01:56:11 AM »
Clearly better in what aspect? Your just basing it off of stats.
Don't be alarmed. Stats are commonly used to judge performance.
You don’t think Roberts could have grabbed 8 rebounds a game in 25 minutes last year against Wagner, St. Frances, or Sacred freaking Heart!
No. I don't.
He didn’t put on any more weight!
I think Roberts did put on more weight. Same with Williams.  I think Earlington lost weight.
He is the same player as last year 
He's a year older and a year better. It's a fact that 19 is not the athletic prime of the human male. 20 is closer to it.
[/quote]

« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2020, 02:07:35 AM »
To suggest he couldn’t have contributed similarly last year against the likes of Sacred Heart 
Why did we need him to contribute against Sacred Heart? We were 12-0 against the Sacred Hearts.  You've just said that he wasn't and won't be able to contribute much against the BE. So how then was he misused by the previous staff?

SJUFAN

« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2020, 06:00:06 PM »
Why did we need him to contribute against Sacred Heart? We were 12-0 against the Sacred Hearts.  You've just said that he wasn't and won't be able to contribute much against the BE. So how then was he misused by the previous staff?

The point is their contributions this year isn’t just because they’re sophomores. It’s how they are being used. They are still very limited and against tougher competition they will struggle. Especially Roberts. We didn’t need him against Sacred Heart, but given his athleticism, if told to hit the offensive glass I’m certain he would have done well.

« Reply #86 on: January 07, 2020, 07:23:42 PM »
Joe Lunardi Bracketology (1/5/2020) has 6 Big East Teams making the tourney and has Johnnies, Hoyas and De Paul as First Four out.
 SJU cannot afford losses to Georgetown, Providence and De Paul.

« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2020, 12:42:34 AM »
but given his athleticism, if told to hit the offensive glass I’m certain he would have done well.
Nope. He would have gotten pushed around like a rag doll.

TONYD3

« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2020, 06:42:17 AM »
How much bigger do you think he is?

SJUFAN

« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2020, 12:13:36 PM »

News flash...he gets pushed around like a rag doll now. Which goes to my point.

« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2020, 01:52:26 PM »
How much bigger do you think he is?
10?, 20?

« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2020, 02:01:32 PM »
News flash...he gets pushed around like a rag doll now. Which goes to my point.
This non-argument argument we're having is stupid.

Dr. Roberts, among other young players, have been better this year than last.  I'm willing to credit CFC for that while also acknowledging the obvious that typically players get better as they mature and often the leap forward from freshmen to sophomore is the most significant. 

I'll also agree that coach Mullin should have tried to give young players more playing time early in the year during blowouts considering how short the bench was. He's a Carnesecca disciple so it's not surprising he didn't. But Chris saw them everyday in practice and they looked terrible in the minutes they saw. Perhaps they just weren't ready then? Now they are.

SJUFAN

« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2020, 02:02:23 PM »
10?, 20?

Who cares how much weight he’s put on if any. Watch the games! He gets man handled when he goes up against bigger more athletic bigs. It happened last year, it happens this year. There is a reason why I say this is a rebuilding year. I’m not as high on Heron and LJ as many of you. If they play well we could surprise this year but I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t or that LJ returns next year.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 02:29:41 PM by SJUFAN »

SJUFAN

« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2020, 02:10:00 PM »

Dr. Roberts, among other young players, have been better this year than last.  I'm willing to credit CFC for that while also acknowledging the obvious that typically players get better as they mature and often the leap forward from freshmen to sophomore is the most significant. 

I'll also agree that coach Mullin should have tried to give young players more playing time early in the year during blowouts considering how short the bench was. He's a Carnesecca disciple so it's not surprising he didn't. But Chris saw them everyday in practice and they looked terrible in the minutes they saw. Perhaps they just weren't ready then? Now they are.

It’s not a stretch to say that Roberts is the worse offensive player in the BE. The credit Anderson gets is the way he has used him and when the competition increases Roberts will not be as productive. I thought Steere was going to take his minutes based on comments from this board on how good he was but so far I think Earlingtons minutes may increase.

« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2020, 02:41:36 PM »
Who cares how much weight he’s put on if any. Watch the games! He gets man handled when he goes up against bigger more athletic bigs. It happened last year, it happens this year. There is a reason why I say this is a rebuilding year. I’m not as high on Heron and LJ as many of you. If they play well we could surprise this year but I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t or that LJ returns next year.
Ok. I get it. The topic has switched and I'm not keeping up.

I thought the topic was are the returning trio this season a) better because they are a year older, bigger, stronger, more mature than last year and have had another whole year of practicing and learning basketball or b) because CFC is the greatest thing since sliced bread and Mullin was the world's worst coach.

But I see that it's now switched back to is this a rebuilding year because of the shortcomings of Josh Roberts? answer: It's not a rebuilding year because of the two pre-season all conference selections. Whatever the Mullin trio provide, which is a lot, is gravy.

TONYD3

« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2020, 02:43:57 PM »
It’s not a stretch to say that Roberts is the worse offensive player in the BE. The credit Anderson gets is the way he has used him and when the competition increases Roberts will not be as productive. I thought Steere was going to take his minutes based on comments from this board on how good he was but so far I think Earlingtons minutes may increase.
I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that Roberts, caraher, Williams, and Rutherford are 4 of the least offensive talented players in the conference. None of these players had offers from any where else in conference.
That doesn’t mean they don’t have value. They are just role players playing their roles.

« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2020, 02:44:04 PM »
Ok. I get it. The topic has switched and I'm not keeping up.

I thought the topic was are the returning trio this season a) better because they are a year older, bigger, stronger, more mature than last year and have had another whole year of practicing and learning basketball or b) because CFC is the greatest thing since sliced bread and Mullin was the world's worst coach.

But I see that it's now switched back to is this a rebuilding year because of the shortcomings of Josh Roberts? answer: It's not a rebuilding year because of the two pre-season all conference selections. Whatever the Mullin trio provide, which is a lot, is gravy.
2 players does not a basketball team make and we're not exactly talking about Larry and Magic.

TONYD3

« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2020, 03:05:31 PM »
You continually misuse your and you’re, but we will trust your word that you aren’t an idiot.

You win. Josh Roberts broke out game one this year but he’s the first freshman to not get bigger or better in any way, shape, or form.  Actually, maybe he is worse this year? He could have been All-American last year if Mullin only played him.

Where were your demands last year? Not a single poster had a more over the top projection for him than my NBA ceiling, and I conceded he obviously wasn’t ready for meaningful minutes. But you know it all.

Rebuilding seasons with potential for 23 wins! You are a riot. But you don’t jump without a parachute...you bring a few actually. Horrible roster from Mullin and first year head coach to open when we finish last or close to it. You won’t be shy to pull those cords when needed.

For the sanity of the posters you and your crew haven’t chased away, I will be adding you to my ignore list. #3 in 20 years. Congrats. Arguing with actual idiots is impossible and pointless.
You honestly believe that this poster is chasing people away? Does he call people names? How many people do you think left because of you?

Marillac

« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2020, 04:17:48 PM »

Carmine don’t engage with that
idiot. No coach or reputable basketball mind in the country would describe Roberts as being tossed around like a rag doll this year. His stats alone disprove that. He was top 5 in the conference on rebounds per minute the last time I checked before the Xavier game.

He was on ice skates last year and he was very raw. He had like 3-4 years of organized basketball prior. He has a nearly unlimited ceiling athletically.

Marillac

« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2020, 04:21:08 PM »
I see the reasonable ceiling as 8th this year. The loser of the Gtown game tonight will likely finish last with the winner likely finishing 9th.

I’d love to be a little wrong because  I think the conference gets 7 in the tournament.

Next year I think we dance with a 7 seed.