2020 Transfers

• 299 replies

goredmen

Re: 2020 Transfers
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2020, 02:02:37 PM »
McGriff like Sears should have never been signed in the first place. This was my initial outrage with the recruiting last year.

Recruiting is going to be even harder as this staff relies on diamonds in the rough and with no opportunities to evaluate we're going to be in trouble.

I understand this and have similar concerns. However, our last staff didn't do any evaluation when it came to transfers and that's why so many of them completely failed here. I don't know if this staff will be able to grab a good player but I trust they will do far more due diligence and not bring in a guy that's a bad fit.

« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2020, 02:31:57 PM »
I have no idea what to think of McGriff because I've never seen him play.  With this particular staff, it would strike me as odd that he would transfer unless they specifically have someone better in mind to shape up the roster.

Marillac

« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2020, 02:37:31 PM »
McGriff like Sears should have never been signed in the first place. This was my initial outrage with the recruiting last year.

Recruiting is going to be even harder as this staff relies on diamonds in the rough and with no opportunities to evaluate we're going to be in trouble.

I disagree. Sears could play 10 minutes for a very good Big East team and McGriff has potential to be the best backup PG in the conference.

« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2020, 02:41:02 PM »
He is scared to shoot. He cant help on offence unless plays are run for him. Does that sound like our coach. If he can guard and rebound for a few minutes, ok.

It’s the exact opposite. He’s the one guy on the team who doesn’t need anything ran for him. He never stopped moving without the ball and he was missed countless times on open cuts to the basket this season.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2020, 02:48:07 PM »
I have no idea what to think of McGriff because I've never seen him play.  With this particular staff, it would strike me as odd that he would transfer unless they specifically have someone better in mind to shape up the roster.

If that is the case I wonder if former Arkansas redshirt and current JUCO, Justice Hill, has been in touch.  Hill is less skilled but more athletic. He averaged 13.8 and a decent amount of assists as a JUCO.

goredmen

« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2020, 02:56:02 PM »
I disagree. Sears could play 10 minutes for a very good Big East team and McGriff has potential to be the best backup PG in the conference.

Nevermind the fact you are making ridiculous declarations about McGriff after never seeing him play, you think Sears, a guy who made 36% of his 2s this year and 39% of his FTs, who is not a particularly good rebounder and doesn't block shots at all could play for very good Big East teams? I don't know what planet you are living on.

« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2020, 03:27:23 PM »
Nevermind the fact you are making ridiculous declarations about McGriff after never seeing him play, you think Sears, a guy who made 36% of his 2s this year and 39% of his FTs, who is not a particularly good rebounder and doesn't block shots at all could play for very good Big East teams? I don't know what planet you are living on.
Well there are 7 to choose from although my vote would go to Pluto even though it is no longer characterized as a planet.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 03:27:49 PM by Celtics11 »

Poison

« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2020, 03:31:04 PM »

You called it when they first joined the program. Apparently they turned out just to be stop gaps.

With McGriff, we’d have 3 small guards bringing it up, and our two PGs would both be under 6 feet. I can see that being a problem. I’d love to find a Rutherford type with some offensive game. Ideally, a grad transfer.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 03:31:43 PM by Poison »

Marillac

« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2020, 07:00:38 PM »
Justin Turner from transferring from Bowling Green. He’s a stud...he’d be our best player. 6’4 SG with some combo ability and a shot.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/justin-turner-1.html

Averaged 18.5 per game the last two years and shoots over 37% from three for his career.

« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2020, 02:12:30 AM »
I understand this and have similar concerns. However, our last staff didn't do any evaluation when it came to transfers and that's why so many of them completely failed here. I don't know if this staff will be able to grab a good player but I trust they will do far more due diligence and not bring in a guy that's a bad fit.

I think a lot of people here tend to look at St. John's in a microscope. It's like when you notice blemish on your face more than others.

In order to right the tracks and win here you have to take risks. You have to keep doubling down until you can build a consistent winner. Norm didn't take enough risks at first and when he started to he started to win more. Lavin took a ton of risks and he got more than he lost. Mullin took on a lot of transfers to balance out the team and we had some good ones but not enough.

The last staff had their shortcomings and share of blame but they had higher expectations of talent. We may have raised our floor (team depth) with Anderson but we lost ceiling height.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2020, 02:18:45 AM »
He is scared to shoot. He cant help on offence unless plays are run for him. Does that sound like our coach. If he can guard and rebound for a few minutes, ok.

You see scared to shoot. I see making the best play.

In 7 of the last 10 games he shot over 50% from the floor. Good finish for the sophomore. 
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2020, 10:13:37 AM »

Gotta say, we agree.

Sears had brief moments, but he did compete in what was at the time an important game vs Arizona.

But like with any sport, you gotta get a chance to work out some kinks, and get used to being out there. Sears was the only guy who didn’t play, and in fairness to him, it’s not like every other big was ready and he wasn’t.

If he was the worst player on our team, he may have been the best of the worst as far as our program goes.
When was the last time our worst player was as good as Sears?

Had he returned, who knows, maybe he could have given us more. I expect he’ll transfer one level down and do well. I could see him averaging 10 and 12 at a Hofstra.

Poison

« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2020, 10:22:39 AM »

In 7 of the last 10 games he shot over 50% from the floor. Good finish for the sophomore. 

What I saw from Caraher was a guy who had to learn from some early mistakes.

He couldn’t get away with the same offense he had at HB, which we all saw coming. He had to adjust, and while doing so, he had to take it on the chin this year, and from what I gathered, he took it like a man. Whether he played 5 minutes or 25, he played every time.

I think he can grow into a valuable role player here, and hopefully, he sees that, and doesn’t bolt after next season. Overall, we have not been successful in the grad transfer game. Mullin struggled to get guys to come here and so far, Anderson has, too. I don’t know why that is, but we have to consider that we just aren’t a desirable destination for kids who have seen a lot of campuses, and by the time you’re a grad transfer, you surely have.

I’m expecting a juco big man to replace Steere, and a juco point guard to be added if McGriff does indeed bolt.

NYCoffey

NYCoffey

« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2020, 06:33:25 PM »

He played well down the stretch - as did Duke and LJ. Sears made a couple of inside plays late season that the announcers correctly described as "man moves". That makes two players that at times finished post moves. It's hard for me to recall the last time we even had one.

Would have liked to see how this year would have played out without Corona and kept Sears going forward.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 06:52:08 PM by carmineabbatiello »

Marillac

« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2020, 08:17:18 PM »

I think McGriff can be an awesome backup PG in the Big East. He has a low dribble and an absurd handle. He’s a born PG. I haven’t seen enough of him playing defense to comment on that aspect in either direction. To grab him as late as Anderson did makes it even better.

Sears would have been much better his second season if he was given some burn. I don’t think was the best style or pace for him. He’d do much better in a slower grind it out style. Again, to grab a player like that at in the 11th hour makes it better. It’s encouraging to me that Anderson likes those types of guys because they can be found every year in JUCO.

« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2020, 02:43:51 PM »
If McGriff leaves I could see Anderson going after Jalen Harris, who just put his name in the portal from Arkansas, transferred into Mike Anderson’s program Mikes final year, would be good as that opens up a spot for the really good guard class of 21’

Marillac

« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2020, 06:45:58 PM »
If McGriff leaves I could see Anderson going after Jalen Harris, who just put his name in the portal from Arkansas, transferred into Mike Anderson’s program Mikes final year, would be good as that opens up a spot for the really good guard class of 21’

Wow this kid seems like a gift-wrapped grad-transfer for Anderson. His only good year statistically was with Anderson 2018-2019 with 7.6 pts and 5.6 assists. How was he defensively?

He looks athletic but slightly wild (less than Dunn) and lacking a bit in skill.