2020 Transfers

• 299 replies
Re: 2020 Transfers
« Reply #160 on: March 30, 2020, 09:31:03 AM »
Arnaldo Torro is a guy we might actually get lol https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0ucE8N2TWDg
Looks like a sears clone sadly

We don’t have that many front court minutes to offer when you consider that fact Champaigne and Earlington are going to get near 50 minutes. If he is at a Roberts level but able to fight off bigger bodies then he’d be perfect.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #161 on: March 30, 2020, 10:05:36 AM »
Seems like something every new coach at St Johns has to do. Almost a rite of passage; needing a huge recruiting class. Lavin inherited it. Mullin inherited it. Why not Anderson?

We are...

How many guys will be leaving the program at the same time? There are 7 names here, but if we’re using history as our example, all 7 guys won’t be leaving St.John’s at the same time.

Without knowing how good Alexander and Cole are, it’s hard to gage who we need most. So I just want the best player available, no matter what. We’ll worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.

Johnny23

« Reply #162 on: March 30, 2020, 10:05:40 AM »
There's always minutes to be had for a big bodied space eater down low. Being that this program has been one of the smallest in the BE for years now a big should be even more of a priority now.

Wods317

« Reply #163 on: March 30, 2020, 10:13:27 AM »
He looks a little better to be fair. I like his offensive rebounding #s.
Agree. I never saw sears do one of the moves he did. Loved sears attitude and work ethic but this guy looks more skilled. How much better would he be? Not sure.

Marillac

« Reply #164 on: March 30, 2020, 10:44:55 AM »
We don’t have that many front court minutes to offer when you consider that fact Champaigne and Earlington are going to get near 50 minutes. If he is at a Roberts level but able to fight off bigger bodies then he’d be perfect.

This kid will play the five here.

« Reply #165 on: March 30, 2020, 10:52:23 AM »
This kid will play the five here.

I agree but ME and JC will get minutes at the 5 by necessity. They are better suited to play up at the 5 than down at the 3. And they both deserve big minutes. So my point is the center position will already be taken up by 10 or so minutes by those two before we even get to Roberts or a grad transfer.

Poison

« Reply #166 on: March 30, 2020, 11:02:44 AM »
Arnaldo Toro is fine.
Not thrilling, but fine.

Does anyone know if he’s scheduled his visit, I mean Zoom call yet?

« Reply #167 on: March 30, 2020, 11:15:54 AM »
Arnaldo Toro is fine.
Not thrilling, but fine.

Does anyone know if he’s scheduled his visit, I mean Zoom call yet?
I think that’s a fair assessment. He had a 22.5% TRB at gw this past year, that’s good, but it will have to translate to this level.

Looks like he played over that kid Marfo when they were both freshman at gw. Marfo obviously developed into a beast on the boards. For comparison Marfo had a 26.7% TRB this past year, although in fairness that was in the MAAC. 

Our current front court, Roberts has like a 15% TRB, earlington and champagnie both at 13%. If the goal is a big man who can eat some space and rebound, he seems like a decent addition.

Poison

« Reply #168 on: March 30, 2020, 06:34:16 PM »
Steere transferred to UNC Wilmington.

Marillac

« Reply #169 on: March 30, 2020, 06:52:20 PM »

I don’t think he’s scared of Earlington and Champagnie. He’s got four years of college experience in the A-10. He’s earned minutes against some very good big men at GW, including Marfo.

« Reply #170 on: March 30, 2020, 07:01:39 PM »
I don’t think he’s scared of Earlington and Champagnie. He’s got four years of college experience in the A-10. He’s earned minutes against some very good big men at GW, including Marfo.

I just responded to your post saying he will play the 5, check that one.

« Reply #171 on: March 30, 2020, 07:12:42 PM »
Yep, played above Marfo his freshman year, I did not know that injuries have kept him back the last year or two, looks like he could be a key piece if healthy.

« Reply #172 on: March 30, 2020, 07:29:25 PM »
I can't believe the little guy didn't try to bring him to Transfer U.  Too few red flags?

All seriousness hope the kid puts it together at UNC Wilmington because he seems to have ability.

« Reply #173 on: March 30, 2020, 10:23:33 PM »
The Prius is a great car. I love it. I’m taking Lil’ Marillac camping/swimming/kayaking Thursday for a long weekend at the springs near Gainesville and we will be sleeping on an air mattress in the back of the Prius if it rains and our tent isn’t equal to it.

Man, you're a good dad. That sounds great. Have fun.

Poison

« Reply #174 on: March 30, 2020, 10:39:48 PM »
I can't believe the little guy didn't try to bring him to Transfer U.  Too few red flags?

All seriousness hope the kid puts it together at UNC Wilmington because he seems to have ability.

He just needs to try harder. Now, he can do it without any pressure at all.

« Reply #175 on: March 30, 2020, 11:41:00 PM »

He will probably apply for a hardship waiver since he is coming back home. Still a very Bizarre situation not giving him any PT. I recall that put back dunk he did, he has a feel for the game.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 11:43:18 PM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

Poison

« Reply #176 on: March 31, 2020, 12:41:39 AM »
He will probably apply for a hardship waiver since he is coming back home. Still a very Bizarre situation not giving him any PT. I recall that put back dunk he did, he has a feel for the game.

I don’t remember the put back dunk. I didn’t see a feel for the game, but in fairness, there wasn’t much of a sample. Maybe he was involved in 20 plays all season.

When I first saw him, I thought of what Coach said about his conditioning. He was out of breath after about 10 seconds.

That told us everything we needed to know. It also told us something about Coach. If you don’t work your butt off, you’re in his doghouse, and you’re staying there until you do.

Coach didn’t like Champagnie starting mid-season. He must have worked in practice, and earned his way back. Now he looks like an all BE player for 20-21.

Steere? We’ll see.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 12:42:42 AM by Poison »

Marillac

« Reply #177 on: March 31, 2020, 06:13:35 AM »
I just responded to your post saying he will play the 5, check that one.

I see minutes for him. I agree with you that Champagnie and Earlington are better suited for the five than the three.

I actually wouldn’t mind seeing Champagnie at the three though for 5-7 minutes. As you know that is a huge compliment from me, but I think he can competently defend he three and I think he can offer enough offensively with his passing ability and understanding of angles.

How would you feel with Posh Dunn/Williams and a 3/4/5 of Champagnie, Earlington, and Toro? I kind of like it. Two primary ball handlers, extra skill at the PF an C. Could still be a fast lineup.

« Reply #178 on: March 31, 2020, 08:53:47 AM »
I see minutes for him. I agree with you that Champagnie and Earlington are better suited for the five than the three.

I actually wouldn’t mind seeing Champagnie at the three though for 5-7 minutes. As you know that is a huge compliment from me, but I think he can competently defend he three and I think he can offer enough offensively with his passing ability and understanding of angles.

How would you feel with Posh Dunn/Williams and a 3/4/5 of Champagnie, Earlington, and Toro? I kind of like it. Two primary ball handlers, extra skill at the PF an C. Could still be a fast lineup.

Dunn and Posh together would scare me with that 3/4/5. With those two drivers would want Cole (fingers crossed on LJ) as the 3.

I don’t think Champaigne is incapable of playing the 3 some next year and more so as he gets older, just think we have 4-5 other options for minutes at the 3 in our uptempo style for this season.

Toro or someone similar would be perfect. Just saying we only have 15-20 minutes to offer the 5 spot unless we figure Roberts gets completely benched.

jr49

« Reply #179 on: March 31, 2020, 06:43:48 PM »
Dunn and Posh together would scare me with that 3/4/5. With those two drivers would want Cole (fingers crossed on LJ) as the 3.

I don’t think Champaigne is incapable of playing the 3 some next year and more so as he gets older, just think we have 4-5 other options for minutes at the 3 in our uptempo style for this season.

Toro or someone similar would be perfect. Just saying we only have 15-20 minutes to offer the 5 spot unless we figure Roberts gets completely benched.
Shoulder surgery is nasty.Do we know what they were fixing? Might sit out.