Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA

• 2498 replies
Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ
« Reply #1400 on: September 08, 2011, 09:21:18 AM »
jesus let the boy pick and be done with it. if he picks the johniees its will be a great look. if he doesnt lav will have a back up plan that would be alot of coaches first plan. it wont make or break sju.

Bingo.  SJU is in good shape but my God some of you are letting this become your life.

Relax.

« Reply #1401 on: September 08, 2011, 09:26:17 AM »
jesus let the boy pick and be done with it. if he picks the johniees its will be a great look. if he doesnt lav will have a back up plan that would be alot of coaches first plan. it wont make or break sju.

Bingo.  SJU is in good shape but my God some of you are letting this become your life.

Relax.

Honestly, I think the majority of St. John's fans will take it in stride, if Anderson didn't head to Queens.  I don't think the same can be said for the folks in South Orange. 

I know we're in good shape and we just have to allow things to play out.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:27:09 AM by mjdinkins »

Poison

« Reply #1402 on: September 08, 2011, 09:34:30 AM »
Hall insider saying it's down to the Hall and UCLA.  Twelve more days to go.

The SHU board will melt down if KA selects SJU.

If Anderson's goal is to make the NBA, SJU will be difficult to beat.

What Seton Hall board is that?

Gumby

« Reply #1403 on: September 08, 2011, 09:35:57 AM »
[Honestly, I think the majority of St. John's fans will take it in stride, if Anderson didn't head to Queens.  I don't think the same can be said for the folks in South Orange. 

I know we're in good shape and we just have to allow things to play out.
[/quote]

MJ, I agree!

Quite frankly why would KA want to put himself under the pressure he would face at SHU?  They would expect him to be the "savior" of their program. He will face enough pressure just being a top 5 recruit.  Building a program should be the coach's job, not a then 19 year old.  KA should want to go out and play BB.

« Reply #1404 on: September 08, 2011, 09:39:37 AM »
What Seton Hall board is that?

Both of 'em....  You may find yourself occasionally chuckling while reading.

http://setonhall.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=959&fid=330&style=2

http://www.southorangejuice.com/
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:43:42 AM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #1405 on: September 08, 2011, 09:46:42 AM »

UM.... I hope the kid comes here obviously but SJU has as many pros as SH. ONE

« Reply #1406 on: September 08, 2011, 09:49:53 AM »
MJ, I agree!

Quite frankly why would KA want to put himself under the pressure he would face at SHU?  They would expect him to be the "savior" of their program. He will face enough pressure just being a top 5 recruit.  Building a program should be the coach's job, not a then 19 year old.  KA should want to go out and play BB.

IMO, he would be expected to be the "savior" of their program.  Maybe, he could live up to the billing of being a savior, per se'.  You can clearly see from most of their fan base the immense pressure he could very well be under.  Maybe, he can handle it.

As, you've stated....  It's up to the coaches to build the program.  Not a kid.

« Reply #1407 on: September 08, 2011, 09:53:34 AM »
I was at a bar last night and ran into Kieran Darcy from ESPN NY and I asked him what he thought and he said he is not sure but he has been hearing a lot about Seton Hall. I hope he is wrong.

Take it for what it is worth.

« Reply #1408 on: September 08, 2011, 10:17:35 AM »
Dont get it twisted, I want him at St. Johns but if he goes else where so be it. We will win with or without him but having him here would benefit both sides imo

« Reply #1409 on: September 08, 2011, 10:40:57 AM »
As long as he didn't talk to Barron it's perfectly legal for him to see him. It would technically be a violation for Davis to make contact with Kyle though.

They talked? Were doomed.

When do you think the NCAA will come down on us with their sanctions?

Poison

« Reply #1410 on: September 08, 2011, 10:44:35 AM »

Who has more pros, the SJU coach, or the Seton Hall coach? That is the relevant comparison.
And the only one that matters. Seton Hall has yet to prove that they are getting better. If anything, they are headed for a sharp decline. After Pope and their underwhelming PG graduate/leave who will be left?

Anderson can make 2 dozen Magic Johnson passes, but if no one can finish, what's the point?

« Reply #1411 on: September 08, 2011, 10:46:46 AM »
The SH rivals board is claiming they upstaged his visit to ST.J today.
The board, or "boneyard?"  :2funny:

« Reply #1412 on: September 08, 2011, 10:50:30 AM »
Kudos to whoever lands him. This is my opinion just based on everything I have read through articles, tweets, etc.

I think he is to close with his mom and dad to head out west. I think this comes down to us and SHU.

I just don't see how anyone when comparing the two situations would make a rash decision.

Our staff is great with experience and NBA ties. We play at MSG. Our schedule will put him against elite competition with national exposure. Our roster will be far more skilled and ready to win by the time he arrives.

He just seems to have this allegiance to NJ which may be the deal maker.

We offer the best situation in my opinion and if he chooses to leave that on the table for another destination then that is his decision.

We offer the best path for his basketball future, I think he knows that deep down - he just has to want it as well.

« Reply #1413 on: September 08, 2011, 10:53:31 AM »

Who has more pros, the SJU coach, or the Seton Hall coach? That is the relevant comparison.
And the only one that matters. Seton Hall has yet to prove that they are getting better. If anything, they are headed for a sharp decline. After Pope and their underwhelming PG graduate/leave who will be left?

Anderson can make 2 dozen Magic Johnson passes, but if no one can finish, what's the point?

Don't get me wrong, I am biased but for pure basketball reasons I feel he should come here. My only point was not to make SJU out to be some sort of NBA factory. If Lavin stays awhile maybe it will be, but by recent history we are right on the same page with SH.

Poison

« Reply #1414 on: September 08, 2011, 10:54:58 AM »
SJU was a heavy lean for Sylvan Landesberg, but at the end of the day, it's very hard to change a program that has developed a culture of losing. Seton Hall and Rutgers may eventually get there, but they aren't there yet.

In the eyes of recruits and on paper, Seton Hall is a terrible choice. They have actually regressed since Bobby Gonzalez was fired. At least then, recognized talent like Harvey, Robinson and Mitchell chose to go there. Putting aside how it turned out, they were newsworthy for a short period of time.

How many Seton Hall recruits can you name? I can't name one.

« Reply #1415 on: September 08, 2011, 10:56:14 AM »
I was on campus the morning felipe and zendon choose us, i walked past coach mahoney and wished him luck and he smiled. I remember thinking we would be in the final 4 in the next two years. We all know what happened, i'll take a class like lav has inked and take my chances. Best of luck to kyle wherever he chooses.

pmg911

« Reply #1416 on: September 08, 2011, 11:07:16 AM »
I have to admit I am getting a laugh here today....

First, KOB has said it best - let the kid choose and be done with it.

I have said a few times that I thought he would pick SHU for the sole reason of being close to his Father. I was all but accused of being a traitor the SJU program, which was comical. Now a few other guys are getting the same feeling and everyone is saying to just calm down...   I have to admit to getting a good laugh at this point.

« Reply #1417 on: September 08, 2011, 11:09:36 AM »
St. John is not in good shape.
St. John is in great shape.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #1418 on: September 08, 2011, 11:11:46 AM »
I have to admit I am getting a laugh here today....

First, KOB has said it best - let the kid choose and be done with it.

I have said a few times that I thought he would pick SHU for the sole reason of being close to his Father. I was all but accused of being a traitor the SJU program, which was comical. Now a few other guys are getting the same feeling and everyone is saying to just calm down...   I have to admit to getting a good laugh at this point.
Of course, KA will not even get a whiff of the Final Four, let alone the Sweet Sixteen, before heading off to the NBA at the end of his Frosh or Soph year.  That is the ultimate trump card that will prevail along with an east coast choice. 

« Reply #1419 on: September 08, 2011, 11:13:07 AM »
Look maybe I'm wrong. I'll fully admit that's possible, but I'm under the impression that former players count as boosters. This article about Iowa violations seems to indicate that's true.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/bigten/2010-10-31-iowa-ncaa-violations-kutcher-moore_N.htm?AID=4992781&PID=4169806&SID=bclbapja83yp

"Athletic officials acknowledge that they allowed two high school recruits to meet Kutcher, Moore and several former Hawkeye basketball players, according to records obtained by The Des Moines Register under Iowa's public records law.

NCAA rules prohibit potential high school recruits from having any contact with individuals considered to represent a university's athletic interests because of the potential influence boosters can have on the recruiting process.

The university's report to the NCAA indicates that new head basketball coach Fran McCaffery's recruits met with former Hawkeye basketball players Reggie Evans and Dean Oliver after a pick-up game at Carver-Hawkeye Arena— then met Kutcher and Moore in a suite at the football stadium later that day.

Evans, Oliver and Kutcher are considered representatives of Hawkeye athletic interests, the school has told the NCAA."

Now not sure how they'd qualify Davis, but as a former player of Lavin's you would think he'd count against them.

And here's an opinion piece about UNC and former players playing pick up with a recruit: http://www.statefansnation.com/index.php/archives/2007/09/20/unc-hoops-breaks-recruiting-rules/ Now this turned out not to be a violation because the players were taking courses at UNC at the time so it was legal. Perhaps this was true of the UCLA players as well. Other wise it was a violation.

As the blog states: "Alums can inadvertently ‘bump into’ players when they happen to be on campus at the same time; but they cannot engage in activities to recruit the player to campus."

now obviously I don't know what was said between the two and maybe it didn't violate the letter of the law. But it definitely violated the spirit of the law.  It's not like Kyle was wandering around campus unattended and Baron Davis just happened to be shooting around. So while i'm sure St. John's would claim inadvertent contact, it clearly wasn't. I'm not saying this doesn't go on every where, because it does. I'm just saying it's technically a violation based on my understanding of the rules.

Edit:

I will add it must not be a violation since it's being so openly talked about. But in theory one would think that Davis is a representative of Lavin's interests, so should count. Clearly he must not since it's so well publicized.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 11:17:56 AM by hoyahooligan »