Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S

• 772 replies
Re: Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #260 on: May 05, 2011, 08:12:08 PM »
Just a point of interest/clarification, but the thread title has Garrett as hailing from lawndale California, but he is actually a Nevada native, I believe originally from Henderson Nevada.  He was at Sierra Vista HS, transferred to Leuzinger in Lawndale, but isn't from California.

I thought the same thing originally, he has family in SoCal and just did one year here leading his school to CIF title at a junior. Believe he was player of the year.

Danny Ainge made All American in 1979, 1980 and 1981 at BYU.   Those same years he wsn't in "a big league organization", he was playing 3rd bse and centerfield IN the Big Leauges for the Blue Jays....

That was a long time ago but I forgot how bad a baseball player he was  ;D

I got Ainge's baseball card

sju89tr

« Reply #261 on: May 06, 2011, 11:56:37 AM »
Just a point of interest/clarification, but the thread title has Garrett as hailing from lawndale California, but he is actually a Nevada native, I believe originally from Henderson Nevada.  He was at Sierra Vista HS, transferred to Leuzinger in Lawndale, but isn't from California.

I thought the same thing originally, he has family in SoCal and just did one year here leading his school to CIF title at a junior. Believe he was player of the year.

Danny Ainge made All American in 1979, 1980 and 1981 at BYU.   Those same years he wsn't in "a big league organization", he was playing 3rd bse and centerfield IN the Big Leauges for the Blue Jays....

That was a long time ago but I forgot how bad a baseball player he was  ;D

I got Ainge's baseball card

I hope you are not counting on that Ainge card for your retirement fund  :laugh:
He was terrible but had a great career going on concurrently for BYU 

NYCoffey

« Reply #262 on: May 06, 2011, 01:09:35 PM »
Not sure if it was posted, but here's an article about his 50 pitch workout. Supposedly hit 96 twice which is pretty impressive, but no secondary pitches. I believe the MLB draft is in a month so we will see how this plays out.

http://minors.mlblogs.com/2011/05/05/amir-garrett-update/

Moose

« Reply #263 on: May 16, 2011, 07:58:05 PM »
Don't know if this was posted but regardles its a nice refresher.

http://www.ballislife.com/video/65-amir-garrett-senior-year
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #264 on: May 16, 2011, 08:34:16 PM »
Don't know if this was posted but regardles its a nice refresher.

http://www.ballislife.com/video/65-amir-garrett-senior-year

I don't believe that vid has been posted, Moose.  I've watched this kid play 3 times on tv and I'll say, as much as I love his athleticism.... I like his court demanor, as well.  Only 4 years of organized ball for Garrett.  He probably hasn't picked up too many bad habits in that short period.    Imagine when the Johnnies staff gets ahold of him and the others.

Where is October?  Is she here yet?  LOL

Wods317

« Reply #265 on: May 17, 2011, 12:55:59 PM »
I think with this kids defensive ability, athleticism and transition game he is going to thrive right away in the college game. I have watched him a few times on TV and I just love the way he plays within the flow of the game. He is a team player and does what is needed of him. He will be an awesome glue guy for this team who does what he needs to for the team to win. I think he is going to end up being a big time fan favorite out of this group because of his skill set and work ethic. If he improves his shooting which he will over his career he is going to be a dangerous weapon for us.

« Reply #266 on: May 17, 2011, 01:27:31 PM »
I think with this kids defensive ability, athleticism and transition game he is going to thrive right away in the college game. I have watched him a few times on TV and I just love the way he plays within the flow of the game. He is a team player and does what is needed of him. He will be an awesome glue guy for this team who does what he needs to for the team to win. I think he is going to end up being a big time fan favorite out of this group because of his skill set and work ethic. If he improves his shooting which he will over his career he is going to be a dangerous weapon for us.
ditto, Guys like Amir are what separates teams in those tough tourney games where presence of mind and terrific instincts can be the difference between winning and losing because of the little things done on the court.  We are firtunate to have a player and unselfish person like Amir on board the Ark.

« Reply #267 on: May 19, 2011, 01:01:05 AM »
not really sure where to put this RE: available scholarships but this page was already opened on my browser so i'll just put it here...i dont know if it's even been discussed, but dont overlook the possibility of amir garrett being drafted by the MLB and taking a contract...someone just asked him on his facebook about the MLB draft and he said he's worked out for a bunch of teams and has another one on tuesday, and when the kid asked amir what he would do about basketball amir said "idk we will see"

« Reply #268 on: May 19, 2011, 10:40:25 AM »
would it be possible to have amir get a scholie for baseball then "walk on" the basketball team? This could give us a little more flexibility if that is even possible

Moose

« Reply #269 on: May 19, 2011, 10:48:29 AM »
would it be possible to have amir get a scholie for baseball then "walk on" the basketball team? This could give us a little more flexibility if that is even possible

Unlikely because baseball gets I think 15 full rides divided up among the 40 players or whatever on the team.  Its rare for a baseball player to get a full ride unless they are legit top talent and most of the time in that case they never go to college and sign with MLB team.  There was ESPN Magazine article back in February which I think said average baseball players gets like 25 percent of a full schollie.

From what I understand as well, Blankmeyer and staff haven't even seen Amir play.

« Reply #270 on: May 19, 2011, 10:52:58 AM »
interesting...i know the baseball team is pretty good but i would think you would give a lefty pitcher throwing in the low 90's and pitching for mlb scouts at least a look. especially considering he is already signed on to come to your school and play basketball

Moose

« Reply #271 on: May 19, 2011, 10:55:07 AM »
interesting...i know the baseball team is pretty good but i would think you would give a lefty pitcher throwing in the low 90's and pitching for mlb scouts at least a look. especially considering he is already signed on to come to your school and play basketball

Earlier in the year Amir was quoted as not interested in continuing with baseball so I guess thats why.

In addition we don't have to worry about him being drafted and signing.  He would still be able to do both.  Many players have.  Most recently was the starting QB of Clemson who was drafted in June, played Minor Leagues during the summer and then back to Clemson in the fall.

« Reply #272 on: May 19, 2011, 11:05:48 AM »

Earlier in the year Amir was quoted as not interested in continuing with baseball so I guess thats why.

In addition we don't have to worry about him being drafted and signing.  He would still be able to do both.  Many players have.  Most recently was the starting QB of Clemson who was drafted in June, played Minor Leagues during the summer and then back to Clemson in the fall.

O/T but wasnt Rusty Larue the starting QB at Wake Forrest and also a starter on the basketball team? Im guessing he was on a football scholarship?

Moose

« Reply #273 on: May 19, 2011, 11:08:15 AM »

O/T but wasnt Rusty Larue the starting QB at Wake Forrest and also a starter on the basketball team? Im guessing he was on a football scholarship?

I'll one up you.  He played 3 sports at Wake one year.  Also played baseball for one season.

« Reply #274 on: May 19, 2011, 11:16:42 AM »

I'll one up you.  He played 3 sports at Wake one year.  Also played baseball for one season.

Some athlete! He got some time in the NBA too, Bulls I think. Deion,Bo and Rusty! ;)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 11:17:17 AM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #275 on: May 19, 2011, 12:32:27 PM »
Another thing to consider, wasn't Xavier Henry's brother a walk on at Memphis and Kansas paying for school with his baseball contract?

Moose

« Reply #276 on: May 19, 2011, 12:49:47 PM »
Another thing to consider, wasn't Xavier Henry's brother a walk on at Memphis and Kansas paying for school with his baseball contract?

Yeah but CJ focused only on baseball.  But baked into his contract that the Yankees had to foot the bill for school if he EVER went back.  He quit baseball and went back and Yankees were paying the way.

« Reply #277 on: May 19, 2011, 12:58:07 PM »

Yeah but CJ focused only on baseball.  But baked into his contract that the Yankees had to foot the bill for school if he EVER went back.  He quit baseball and went back and Yankees were paying the way.

Got it.  Interesting.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 07:39:21 PM by jumpinjohnny »

Marillac

« Reply #278 on: May 19, 2011, 01:37:10 PM »
I think Amir is just doing his due diligence.  He clearly likes basketball better and he has prototypical size, length, and athleticism to get to the next level if he improves.  He loses very little by trying basketball and entering the draft again after his junior year.  He's an intriguing basketball prospect because he can stroke it, likes to d-up, and has a good feel for the game.  He can kinda do a little bit of everything, and he could be a better DJ if he connects all the dots in his game. 

« Reply #279 on: May 19, 2011, 07:45:56 PM »

Not possible...the NCAA doesn't allow it.  He would automatically count as a basketball scholarship.  It prevents teams from stockpiling talent and giving them "bowling" scholarships or baseball scholarships in this case.  That's the rule for Basketball and Football scholarships.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!