Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies

MCNPA

Can you imagine if the roles were reversed what this board would be like?

In other words a top 100 player rumored to be headed to SJU. still won't make it official and keeps flirting with taking more visits with no decision in sight?

That is what Cincinnati is going through now.

Slightly different, but Chandler is putting us through the same thing. 

Chandler isn't putting us thru anything.  The staff doesn't want him verballed unless the NCAA gives him their blessing.  And he understands that as well.

Chandler is 100% academics. Unlike Obekpa we don't read recruiting stories weekly about him still making up his mind despite rumors that he is headed to Cincinnati.

I still wonder if there is some other issue there like qualifying with Obekpa.  Like I've said before, most good ayers don't forego both signing periods on purpose as they are making their decisions.  Even Amile Jefferson who dragged it out chose during the spring signing.  I have to think there is a hitch.  If he loved Cincy that much, he would have verballed and/or signed already unless there was something holding him back.  I have a hard time believing that he's just taking his sweet time as we're already headed into the summer just about. 

In other words a top 100 player rumored to be headed to SJU. still won't make it official and keeps flirting with taking more visits with no decision in sight?

Chandler isn't putting us thru anything.  The staff doesn't want him verballed unless the NCAA gives him their blessing.  And he understands that as well.

Chandler is 100% academics. Unlike Obekpa we don't read recruiting stories weekly about him still making up his mind despite rumors that he is headed to Cincinnati.

I still wonder if there is some other issue there like qualifying with Obekpa.  Like I've said before, most good ayers don't forego both signing periods on purpose as they are making their decisions.  Even Amile Jefferson who dragged it out chose during the spring signing.  I have to think there is a hitch.  If he loved Cincy that much, he would have verballed and/or signed already unless there was something holding him back.  I have a hard time believing that he's just taking his sweet time as we're already headed into the summer just about.

Why did Sanchez verbal to SJU on his visit and proceed to go to DR for a few days while the speculation continued over whether he did verbal or not?  There was nothing stopping him from announcing his decision publically and ending the speculation and signing earlier as opposed to waiting 5 days before he did what everyone assumed he was set to do anyway, sign with SJU.

Devonte Pollard has not signed or verballed to anyone yet.  If academics are an issue then I don't think you would be seeing schools like DePaul, PC, Cincy, Oregon and SJU pursuing hard for a kid that they don't think will qualify.

Tiznow

Is Cincy still the leader at this point?  Two months ago Rothstein and others tweeted how much they were hearing about Cincy being all but done.  Now, there's nothing for a few weeks from anyone. 

Could this kid be waiting to see if Chandler gets cleared and comes to SJU before ruling out SJU?  Is that a possible scenario?

MCNPA

Why did Sanchez verbal to SJU on his visit and proceed to go to DR for a few days while the speculation continued over whether he did verbal or not?  There was nothing stopping him from announcing his decision publically and ending the speculation and signing earlier as opposed to waiting 5 days before he did what everyone assumed he was set to do anyway, sign with SJU.

Devonte Pollard has not signed or verballed to anyone yet.  If academics are an issue then I don't think you would be seeing schools like DePaul, PC, Cincy, Oregon and SJU pursuing hard for a kid that they don't think will qualify.

Sanchez is different.  He signed during the signing period.  I just find it a bit odd that's all.  These schools will still pursue if a kid still has a chance to qualify and is talented.  I'm just wondering if there is some hitch we don't know about.  Osna is not great at getting these kids to qualifying status.

Marillac

His state of mind aside, his academic situation alone is giving our fans some agita. 

sju89tr

Sanchez is different.  He signed during the signing period.  I just find it a bit odd that's all.  These schools will still pursue if a kid still has a chance to qualify and is talented.  I'm just wondering if there is some hitch we don't know about.  Osna is not great at getting these kids to qualifying status.

I agree with you 100% Marcus, any top 150 kid not signed at this point is very odd and there has to be a reason for it. Daniels was a late signing last year for UCONN but the kid was hoping not to go to college at all and was weighing his options with the NBA labor deal in flux. Pollard is puzzling too.

As for Obekpa it has to be grades or he isn't happy with his current list of schools.   

paultzman

Chris continues to play in AAU tournaments as well, odd. His offensive improvement is noted, playing for New Heights 17U team this weekend. Moose may have written the article. Only kidding guys!

“@FinkelsteinNERR: NERR: #Super16 Sunday Recap from @cbradleyNERR and others http://t.co/VOeI498N

Tiznow

Where are we getting the theory of academics being an issue?  I never read that anywhere.  He has no history of moving from school to school with a trail of poor grades.  He's probably a bright kid if he can handle the transition to a new country.  I'm not buying into the academics. 

He's just a kid with no real idea what he wants to do. He has a lot of options and he's probably being told a million things about where to go, can't blame him for taking his time - it's a big decision.

Poison

He's just a kid with no real idea what he wants to do. He has a lot of options and he's probably being told a million things about where to go, can't blame him for taking his time - it's a big decision.

Why can't you blame him for taking his time? How hard is it to pick a college?

ras

This is puzzling. If he is such a Cincy lock, why hasnt he commited?

MCNPA

Where are we getting the theory of academics being an issue?  I never read that anywhere.  He has no history of moving from school to school with a trail of poor grades.  He's probably a bright kid if he can handle the transition to a new country.  I'm not buying into the academics.

Actually, first semester there was some talk about academics being an issue with obekpa but that talk had quieted.  I'm not saying academics are his problem.  I'm just saying that top kids that are uncommitted after the second signing period are rare and I'm not sure why it seems this kid is still far from committing.  Its already almost summer.  Usually it's only kids that are waiting for SAT's or other issues.

In Alex Kline's latest Rivals.com update on several prospects he says that "rumors" are that Obekpa's two favs are Cincy and SJU.

http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1369652

With no timetable in play, three more critical decisions remain in the class of 2012. Those college decisions come from Christopher Obekpa , Devonta Pollard and Jordan Dickerson . Obekpa, the 2012 power forward from Our Savior New American in New York, has no official decision date or range. Cincinnati and St. John's are rumored to be the favorites with Providence, UConn, Oregon and DePaul sprinkled in.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 09:21:52 PM by fordham96 »

Tiznow

Actually, first semester there was some talk about academics being an issue with obekpa but that talk had quieted.  I'm not saying academics are his problem.  I'm just saying that top kids that are uncommitted after the second signing period are rare and I'm not sure why it seems this kid is still far from committing.  Its already almost summer.  Usually it's only kids that are waiting for SAT's or other issues.

I agree with this being the reason for the usuall cases.  This one seems to fall under the unusual scenario.  I hope he winds up here.  The staff would help him reach his potential and he'd be a key piece here.  I hear good things about his character - works hard on improving.  W

In Alex Kline's latest Rivals.com update on several prospects he says that "rumors" are that Obekpa's two favs are Cincy and SJU.

With no timetable in play, three more critical decisions remain in the class of 2012. Those college decisions come from Christopher Obekpa , Devonta Pollard and Jordan Dickerson . Obekpa, the 2012 power forward from Our Savior New American in New York, has no official decision date or range. Cincinnati and St. John's are rumored to be the favorites with Providence, UConn, Oregon and DePaul sprinkled in.

That seems odd. A couple weeks ago Chris tweeted "who should get the commit?" and he didn't list us...   This whole process is plain weird. Could he be waiting on Chandler?

Moose

That seems odd. A couple weeks ago Chris tweeted "who should get the commit?" and he didn't list us...   This whole process is plain weird. Could he be waiting on Chandler?

He did list us in a second tweet also including Uconn
Remember who broke the Slice news

Jeez....This kid needs to make up his mind.  It is already the end of May.  Time to rip the band-aid off and stop ripping hairs off one at a time

dR3w

Jeez....This kid needs to make up his mind.  It is already the end of May.  Time to rip the band-aid off and stop ripping hairs off one at a time

Yeah, I wish he would make up his mind so I can decide whether to criticize his lack of an offensive game, or to emphasize his great defensive ability and how the team needs his shot blocking prowess!!  :)

Marillac

Yeah, I wish he would make up his mind so I can decide whether to criticize his lack of an offensive game, or to emphasize his great defensive ability and how the team needs his shot blocking prowess!!  :)

Hahahaha

paultzman

Saga continues!

“@JonRothstein: St. John's has re-emerged in the Chris Obekpa sweepstakes. The Red Storm are in the mix for the shot blocker and have a legitimate shot too.”