Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies

boo3

Thanks for the stats KJD.

I was just curious what the difference in minutes between Fair and Amir were during their freshman seasons. 

I don't think anyone is saying Amir is as good as Fair, yet.   Comparing there games is fair ( no pun intended).  Still think Amir is more perimeter oriented, or will be.  If Amir can be that kind of offensive rebounder, that would be great.

While i hate Syracuse, I Like Cj Fair.  I hope Amir can be that type of player for us.

We digress....this is supposed to be about Obekpa, although i think we have run out of things to say at this point, at least things that are productive.

Moose

Thanks for the stats KJD.

I was just curious what the difference in minutes between Fair and Amir were during their freshman seasons. 

I don't think anyone is saying Amir is as good as Fair, yet.   Comparing there games is fair ( no pun intended).  Still think Amir is more perimeter oriented, or will be.  If Amir can be that kind of offensive rebounder, that would be great.

While i hate Syracuse, I Like Cj Fair.  I hope Amir can be that type of player for us.

We digress....this is supposed to be about Obekpa, although i think we have run out of things to say at this point, at least things that are productive.

I'd rather talk about Amir and Fair than Obekpa :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

We tend to get caught up in measurements too much.

CJ Fair is a big man in my book. He is a great rebounder, especially offensive, and does most of his damage in the paint. 

I'd rather have guys like him and Jakarr than a 7 foot stiff like CuJo or Muto.  Was Charles Barkely a big man? Charles Mineland, A Glover?

I will be perfectly cOntent with this class if Chandler is the last guy brought in.

That's the thing, Fair is really, really good. He played the 2-5 last year, and he held his own inside. I'd love a kid like that. If that's what Dom Pointer turns into, wonderful, but we still need rebounders. From my take, we are returning one decent rebounder in Garrett. We bring in Sanchez and Sampson. We need more. I think a better way to put it instead of size, is that we need interior interior defenders, and rebounders. And yes, we need 6 of them because that's a full roster. One guy will get hurt, and one guy will have bad grades. If you have 6 total big men, you'll fine. If you have 6 total players total, you win 13 games.

Moose

We tend to get caught up in measurements too much.

CJ Fair is a big man in my book. He is a great rebounder, especially offensive, and does most of his damage in the paint. 

I'd rather have guys like him and Jakarr than a 7 foot stiff like CuJo or Muto.  Was Charles Barkely a big man? Charles Mineland, A Glover?

I will be perfectly cOntent with this class if Chandler is the last guy brought in.

That's the thing, Fair is really, really good. He played the 2-5 last year, and he held his own inside. I'd love a kid like that. If that's what Dom Pointer turns into, wonderful, but we still need rebounders. From my take, we are returning one decent rebounder in Garrett. We bring in Sanchez and Sampson. We need more. I think a better way to put it instead of size, is that we need interior interior defenders, and rebounders. And yes, we need 6 of them because that's a full roster. One guy will get hurt, and one guy will have bad grades. If you have 6 total big men, you'll fine. If you have 6 total players total, you win 13 games.

When did Fair play the 5 when Cuse had Melo, Christmas and Keita as you mention?

Dam behind Jakarr I wanted Chris the 2nd most. His rebounding and shot blocking would of trigger our fast pace offense and allowed our great perimeter defenders to extend knowing a great shot blocker is behind them.

Dam we still need TWO bigs!

I'd much prefer Chandler personally.  We definitely don't need two more bigs in this class.  Add one and we still have Gift and Orlando for the 4/5 which is plenty this season.

I want both Chandler & Chris and that is not being greedy that is just what we need bad. IMO Orlando seems more like a 3/4. I am just tired of getting killed on the boards when we play elite teams & getting no easy points in the post. Thank god , Big East lost a lot of their  quality Bigs this year, so maybe a lack of a big man won't hurt us as much this year.

Just hope we can get a good C in 2013 or it will be very hard to turn the corner.

Also if Chris doesn't want to play here definitely don't want him here!

It amazes me how restless people get when a kid doesn't commit here. We are not getting both Chandler and Obekpa.. and even though it would be nice.. we don't need both.  Yesterday the staff officially announces the addition of 6 players... and you are worried that  " it will be very hard to turn the corner"    Patience :)
I

I am not getting restless I just appreciate Chris's game and wanted him on the roster. Felt like he filled a void and balanced out the roster. You can never have a enough big men playing in the NCAA with 5 fouls especially after losing our best interior player and rebounder.

Chandler and Chris would make us a top 10 squad by season end. Would see no weakness.

You said we don't need both? Is that  to win an NCAA championship or to win the NIT title?

We don't need both.. It would be great.. But it isn't happening... Not trying to be negative but if you think getting both would get us to a NCAA title or a top 10 ranking this year .. Well then you are drinking :).   Baby steps with this team IMO.  If we could slip into the tourney and hover outside the top 25 , then I think we would all be pleased and admit that could be realistic.

I don't think we could win it all. What I meant by top 10 squad is we could be a sweet 16 or elite 8 team. I think this up coming season the talent is really spread out and the Big East is down. With two top 100 Bigs we could of finish 2nd in the Big East behind Ville and be a top 10 squad by season end!

My question is with Chris out, and if Chandler doesn't qualify what do we do? I don't think we can even make the NIT without a adding another Big man.
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

Poison

Fair played over Christmas and Keita because he's better than both of them. As the season wore on, they inserted Christmas into the starting line up, but was only because Melo is a complete nice person.

Moose

Fair played over Christmas and Keita because he's better than both of them. As the season wore on, they inserted Christmas into the starting line up, but was only because Melo is a complete nice person.

Christmas started every game last year.  He might not have averaged as many minutes but he started every game.

http://www.suathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=8630

Freshman Year: Has started every game this season

Poison

Christmas started every game last year.  He might not have averaged as many minutes but he started every game.

http://www.suathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=8630

Freshman Year: Has started every game this season

My bad you're right. I guess I just remember Fair playing all over the court last year. I think Garrett could develop like that. Fair will make one of the All BE teams next season.

paultzman

Do you think Chris will have a hard time selecting a major? LOL This is like War and Peace!

“@AdamZagoria: All signs point to 6-9 Chris Obekpa of Our Savior New American landing at Cincinnati, multiple sources told @SNYtv.Today is last signing day”

Poison

Why not just pick a school already? Why so indecisive?

wpc77

If he hasn't picked a school yet, perhaps there's a eligibility issue at play here (academic or otherwise)

Moose

If he hasn't picked a school yet, perhaps there's a eligibility issue at play here (academic or otherwise)

Its possible but all signs point to that not being the likely case.  He's getting pulled in too many directions.

sju89tr

Its possible but all signs point to that not being the likely case.  He's getting pulled in too many directions.

Very strange that he did not sign a LOI

Well the Dead Period starts today thru next Saturday.  No off or on campus recruiting.

And I think he still wants to take a trip to Oregon even though he is expected to sign with Cincy.  Apparently he is having trouble setting up the visit and now he cannot visit even if he wants to so I guess he is just waiting out the Dead period before he can then take the Oregon visit thus delaying his ultimate decision.

Chilleb

Was matched up against the kid mike Amaan at is8 and was dunking all over him. Mike is a nice clever player to his credit though

Marillac

Was matched up against the kid mike Amaan at is8 and was dunking all over him. Mike is a nice clever player to his credit though

Amaan won the tip too.  Obekpa has NO hops...you can barely slide a piece of paper under his vertical.  He has horrible hands, too...and I can't even watch his teammate #22. 

MCNPA

Amaan won the tip too.  Obekpa has NO hops...you can barely slide a piece of paper under his vertical.  He has horrible hands, too...and I can't even watch his teammate #22.

Yeah, I always thought obekpa was a much better athlete than I've seen in some of these vids.  He's really the shotblocker he is by way of fantastic timing.  That is a skill in and of itself.  He's not a complete player by any means.  I'd take Mike Chandler any day over Obekpa.  Scary thing is that from what I've seen lately, Balamou is in no way the lesser player between the two, regardless of position.  Pretty sure the staff saw the same thing a while back which is why Balamou is signed.

Marillac

Yeah, I always thought obekpa was a much better athlete than I've seen in some of these vids.  He's really the shotblocker he is by way of fantastic timing.  That is a skill in and of itself.  He's not a complete player by any means.  I'd take Mike Chandler any day over Obekpa.  Scary thing is that from what I've seen lately, Balamou is in no way the lesser player between the two, regardless of position.  Pretty sure the staff saw the same thing a while back which is why Balamou is signed.

Balamou is the best player on that team. Period.  Most of Obekpa's blocks come off out of control D-2 slashers from the looks of it.  I haven't seen anybody shot-fake him ever LOL.  He's perfect for Cincy...Cronin makes it ugly and Obekpa will do that on both ends.  His length is just ridiculous.  He's going to be a pain in the arse to play against, but I thnk he'd be a pain in the arse to watch for four years fumbling the ball on offense. 

MCNPA

Balamou is the best player on that team. Period.  Most of Obekpa's blocks come off out of control D-2 slashers from the looks of it.  I haven't seen anybody shot-fake him ever LOL.  He's perfect for Cincy...Cronin makes it ugly and Obekpa will do that on both ends.  His length is just ridiculous.  He's going to be a pain in the arse to play against, but I thnk he'd be a pain in the arse to watch for four years fumbling the ball on offense.

I think a guy like Chandler with his post moves would be going to the foul line a lot against a guy like Obekpa.

sju89tr

I think a guy like Chandler with his post moves would be going to the foul line a lot against a guy like Obekpa.

There is no comparison between Chandler and Obekpa. Chandler is a legit 5 and if he progresses in a college atmosphere has first round talent. Obekpa is a rotation guy who may start as an upper classman.

If there wasn't such a lack of post defenders, Obekpa would not be such a big deal to several programs.