Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies

Gumby

I certainly can see that he might have turned off Coach.  And you are right, I would rather focus on the possibility of Michael joining us.

Moose

A tweet being private?  If he thought that, what planet has he been living on for the past five years.  Mentioning money while in the recruiting process is never a good idea, even in jest. 

And you know, if Chris was coming to St. John's other boards would have mentioned that we had found deep pockets to take care of Chris.  It is difficult enough to try to keep the recruiting trail of a kid clear, without the player talking about pay.

Boy, St. John's must have really have turned Chris off some how.  Was it the possibility of Michael playing the #5 for us? 

I can see Chris wanting to venture out to OR, but DePaul and Providence?  I guess he does not like real pizza.

So much for wanting to play with his favorite best boy, Felix.

Onward and upward!

Did you ever think he turned off STJ?

With all the drama, he certainly turned me off fwiw.

Exactly
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

I certainly can see that he might have turned off Coach.  And you are right, I would rather focus on the possibility of Michael joining us.

I think we probably have. 

sju89tr

I don't think Obepka's tweets were a joke and I do believe his lack of a commitment at this point echos those statements by continuing to look towards other schools. For whatever reason he wasn't into St Johns and I do know that we were turned off by his tweets.   

The upside of the Obekpa quote was he confirmed that at SJU we "don't pay."  Yeah, he was joking around in a publicly accessible forum, which was not very smart.  Certainly does not make him look good.  And my guess it turned our coaches off.  A recruit should never even joke about money.  Some might say that "in jest there is truth"... again, SJU doesn't pay.  Good.  Maybe he'll go somewhere else that does.

Chandler is our impact player.  He is the guy we want.  Once he signs, I'm going to march right over to Carnesecca Arena and buy season tickets.  Chandler will see the real money down the line, after he dominates at MSG and wins a national championship at SJU.

Moose

The upside of the Obekpa quote was he confirmed that at SJU we "don't pay."  Yeah, he was joking around in a publicly accessible forum, which was not very smart.  Certainly does not make him look good.  And my guess it turned our coaches off.  A recruit should never even joke about money.  Some might say that "in jest there is truth"... again, SJU doesn't pay.  Good.  Maybe he'll go somewhere else that does.

Chandler is our impact player.  He is the guy we want.  Once he signs, I'm going to march right over to Carnesecca Arena and buy season tickets.  Chandler will see the real money down the line, after he dominates at MSG and wins a national championship at SJU.

Why not get tickets now?
Remember who broke the Slice news

Haha!  Yes, I should.  Are they available already?  I usually get them after a provisional schedule has been released.

Poison

I think Obekpa's tweets were his way of telling us that he wants to get paid for playing college basketball. If there was a joke in there, I must have missed it.

sju89tr

I think Obekpa's tweets were his way of telling us that he wants to get paid for playing college basketball. If there was a joke in there, I must have missed it.

There was no suggestion that the tweet was a joke, he was talking with the star recruit for the women's program 

Whatever the case, it made him look like a fool. 

sju89tr

And I truly believe he just visited to save face and used St Johns for the weekend. We shouldnt have even allowed him to visit after knowing how he felt about us but I tend to believe we didn't want yo cut off nose to spite face as it pertains to future OSNA players

I don't think Obepka's tweets were a joke and I do believe his lack of a commitment at this point echos those statements by continuing to look towards other schools. For whatever reason he wasn't into St Johns and I do know that we were turned off by his tweets.   

His visit says otherwise.  The kid put "lol" At the end of the tweet...  I think that certainly suggests it was a joke.  He doesn't want to come here...We move on...no need to call the kid a money grabber.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

paultzman

His visit says otherwise.  The kid put "lol" At the end of the tweet...  I think that certainly suggests it was a joke.  He doesn't want to come here...We move on...no need to call the kid a money grabber.

+1

sju89tr

I am not pulling a UK fan thing here but his recruitment has been "interesting" 

If the kid doesn't want to come to St. John's, he shouldn't. I rather have a kid like Chandler who seems to ACTUALLY want to be with us. If he qualifies, sign him up and let Chris O do his own thing.

Poison

And I truly believe he just visited to save face and used St Johns for the weekend. We shouldnt have even allowed him to visit after knowing how he felt about us but I tend to believe we didn't want yo cut off nose to spite face as it pertains to
future OSNA players

Who wouldn't want a free weekend in Queens?

A free weekend in Providence gets you a BJ---so, why not?

Dam behind Jakarr I wanted Chris the 2nd most. His rebounding and shot blocking would of trigger our fast pace offense and allowed our great perimeter defenders to extend knowing a great shot blocker is behind them.

Dam we still need TWO bigs!

I'd much prefer Chandler personally.  We definitely don't need two more bigs in this class.  Add one and we still have Gift and Orlando for the 4/5 which is plenty this season.

I want both Chandler & Chris and that is not being greedy that is just what we need bad. IMO Orlando seems more like a 3/4. I am just tired of getting killed on the boards when we play elite teams & getting no easy points in the post. Thank god , Big East lost a lot of their  quality Bigs this year, so maybe a lack of a big man won't hurt us as much this year.

Just hope we can get a good C in 2013 or it will be very hard to turn the corner.

Also if Chris doesn't want to play here definitely don't want him here!
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
If the kid doesn't want to come to St. John's, he shouldn't. I rather have a kid like Chandler who seems to ACTUALLY want to be with us. If he qualifies, sign him up and let Chris O do his own thing.

Chandler seems like he ACTUALLY wanted to be with many teams in the past...

Happy

Dam behind Jakarr I wanted Chris the 2nd most. His rebounding and shot blocking would of trigger our fast pace offense and allowed our great perimeter defenders to extend knowing a great shot blocker is behind them.

Dam we still need TWO bigs!

I'd much prefer Chandler personally.  We definitely don't need two more bigs in this class.  Add one and we still have Gift and Orlando for the 4/5 which is plenty this season.

I want both Chandler & Chris and that is not being greedy that is just what we need bad. IMO Orlando seems more like a 3/4. I am just tired of getting killed on the boards when we play elite teams & getting no easy points in the post. Thank god , Big East lost a lot of their  quality Bigs this year, so maybe a lack of a big man won't hurt us as much this year.

Just hope we can get a good C in 2013 or it will be very hard to turn the corner.

Also if Chris doesn't want to play here definitely don't want him here!

It amazes me how restless people get when a kid doesn't commit here. We are not getting both Chandler and Obekpa.. and even though it would be nice.. we don't need both.  Yesterday the staff officially announces the addition of 6 players... and you are worried that  " it will be very hard to turn the corner"    Patience :)
I