Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies

boo3

This is the part of the process where we are eliminated and now we can commence trashing the kid, accuse him of taking money, and say he sucks anyway....   I remember this part.. This is fun.  ;)

Happy

Oregon, Cincinnati, Depaul and Providence.

He doesn't ask for much.

Interesting.  Are we over-rating this kid?

yes. huge offensive liability.

Liability??  C'mon you act like you haven't seen some of the offensive center gems that Norm brought in.  I'm certain we are out of the running for him.. But how much would he need to score anyway?

Happy you seem to know the NYC high school hoops scene well and I respect your opinion.  Maybe you have seen him more times than I have. Ive seen 4 or 5 full games of him on the web. He struggles to catch the ball let alone score. He doesnt have any touch and he looks lost. Im not saying he doesnt have potential. He can obviously block shots real well. I just think he is overrated, both by us and by scouting services.

He is raw on offense no question.. But he wouldn't hurt us on offense and that's why I said you can't really call him a liability. Like Moose said.. A couple of putbacks a game is all you need from him.  That portion of his game will surely develop in time.

Tiznow

The kid should sign up for Suffolk CC and take another year to decide. 

The kid should sign up for Suffolk CC and take another year to decide.
Why not two? :)

MCNPA

This is the part of the process where we are eliminated and now we can commence trashing the kid, accuse him of taking money, and say he sucks anyway....   I remember this part.. This is fun.  ;)

Acually, obekpa himself tweeted that "they don't pay" in reference to SJU not too long ago.  You don't remember the obekpa twittergate?? I think there was some conversation and worries about that at the time.  I don't know one way or the other.

Acually, obekpa himself tweeted that "they don't pay" in reference to SJU not too long ago.  You don't remember the obekpa twittergate?? I think there was some conversation and worries about that at the time.  I don't know one way or the other.

It seemed pretty obvious it was a joke. 
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

MCNPA

Any time a recruit talks about schools paying money it isn't a joke by default.  Its not something to speak about, joke about at all by a recruit.  He also said at the time that his spirit wasnt at SJU.  Those are things that a recruit generally wouldnt mention publicly.  All those tweets were erased right away.  I think he thought those were private. Not obvious it was a joke to anybody reading them.

Ive been saying sense the time felix verbaled that I think we got the better OSNA player.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Oregon, Cincinnati, Depaul and Providence.

He doesn't ask for much.

Interesting.  Are we over-rating this kid?

yes. huge offensive liability.

Liability??  C'mon you act like you haven't seen some of the offensive center gems that Norm brought in.  I'm certain we are out of the running for him.. But how much would he need to score anyway?

Happy you seem to know the NYC high school hoops scene well and I respect your opinion.  Maybe you have seen him more times than I have. Ive seen 4 or 5 full games of him on the web. He struggles to catch the ball let alone score. He doesnt have any touch and he looks lost. Im not saying he doesnt have potential. He can obviously block shots real well. I just think he is overrated, both by us and by scouting services.

You don't need more than 2-3 baskets a game from him.  That's not asking a lot in terms of put backs.  Look at Dieng from Lville last year.  Same player path I can see Obekpa taking.  You are signing up for his defense, not looking for a 10ppg player freshman year.

That is fine. You can say that and you might not be wrong. Does that mean that maybe hes not overrated? In my opinion he is.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Any time a recruit talks about schools paying money it isn't a joke by default.  Its not something to speak about, joke about at all by a recruit.  He also said at the time that his spirit wasnt at SJU.  Those are things that a recruit generally wouldnt mention publicly.  All those tweets were erased right away.  I think he thought those were private. Not obvious it was a joke to anybody reading them.

And if he said he was leaning towards St. John's, there is no doubt in my Mind you and everyone else would be saying it was obviously a joke. 

MCNPA

And if he said he was leaning towards St. John's, there is no doubt in my Mind you and everyone else would be saying it was obviously a joke.

I'm not saying anything but at the time it was worrisome.  I don't know if you remember the thread, but nobody thought it was a joke.  At the time, I commented that I was hoping it was some misinterpretation, but that SJU seemed in the clear because he joked that we don't pay.  Like I said, I don't know one way or another but was never real comfortable with those comments nor the ones that his spirit wasn't feeling SJU.  I don't want kids that don't want to be here period...

I'm with you, it wasn't obvious to me it was a joke. A recruit should know not to even joke about that.

Dam behind Jakarr I wanted Chris the 2nd most. His rebounding and shot blocking would of trigger our fast pace offense and allowed our great perimeter defenders to extend knowing a great shot blocker is behind them.

Dam we still need TWO bigs!
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

I'm with you, it wasn't obvious to me it was a joke. A recruit should know not to even joke about that.

I thought everyone overreacted.  Big shocker for this board.  His comment ended with "lol".  Where I come from "lol" means laugh out loud and insinuates a joke. 

paultzman

Let's move on. Chris is a great shot blocker, but offensively a work in progress. I agree with Moose that giving us modest offense would be ok. We have not had a shot blocker in a long time & he could have filled that void. That luxury would allow us to pressure the ball more and cheat on the wings to key fast breaks.

All in all, just like the solid schools under consideration, we could have benefitted by his presence and development. We knew for a long time that we were not his choice. Let's wish him well and keep supporting staff in their development of a program that has a bright future IMO.

MCNPA

Dam behind Jakarr I wanted Chris the 2nd most. His rebounding and shot blocking would of trigger our fast pace offense and allowed our great perimeter defenders to extend knowing a great shot blocker is behind them.

Dam we still need TWO bigs!

I'd much prefer Chandler personally.  We definitely don't need two more bigs in this class.  Add one and we still have Gift and Orlando for the 4/5 which is plenty this season.

I thought everyone overreacted.  Big shocker for this board.  His comment ended with "lol".  Where I come from "lol" means laugh out loud and insinuates a joke.

lol doesn't always insinuate a joke. I'm just saying, I'm with MCN that he probably thought the tweet was private.

Gumby

A tweet being private?  If he thought that, what planet has he been living on for the past five years.  Mentioning money while in the recruiting process is never a good idea, even in jest. 

And you know, if Chris was coming to St. John's other boards would have mentioned that we had found deep pockets to take care of Chris.  It is difficult enough to try to keep the recruiting trail of a kid clear, without the player talking about pay.

Boy, St. John's must have really have turned Chris off some how.  Was it the possibility of Michael playing the #5 for us? 

I can see Chris wanting to venture out to OR, but DePaul and Providence?  I guess he does not like real pizza.

So much for wanting to play with his favorite best boy, Felix.

Onward and upward!

Moose

A tweet being private?  If he thought that, what planet has he been living on for the past five years.  Mentioning money while in the recruiting process is never a good idea, even in jest. 

And you know, if Chris was coming to St. John's other boards would have mentioned that we had found deep pockets to take care of Chris.  It is difficult enough to try to keep the recruiting trail of a kid clear, without the player talking about pay.

Boy, St. John's must have really have turned Chris off some how.  Was it the possibility of Michael playing the #5 for us? 

I can see Chris wanting to venture out to OR, but DePaul and Providence?  I guess he does not like real pizza.

Onward and upward!

Did you ever think he turned off STJ?
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

Onward and upward!

Did you ever think he turned off STJ?

With all the drama, he certainly turned me off fwiw.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 03:32:16 PM by paultzman »