Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies

Moose

“@ebosshoops: New Heights is spanking the Louisville Magic right now. Mick Cronin on hand watching Obekpa.”

In Vegas

I'm a little concerned this weekend with all the visitors we have, and hearing nobody was going to Hoop Group in Pitt, do we have anyone in Vegas or Minnesota at Dinos and Nike EYBL?
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

“@ebosshoops: New Heights is spanking the Louisville Magic right now. Mick Cronin on hand watching Obekpa.”

In Vegas

I'm a little concerned this weekend with all the visitors we have, and hearing nobody was going to Hoop Group in Pitt, do we have anyone in Vegas or Minnesota at Dinos and Nike EYBL?

Share your concern Moose. This has been a very peculiar recruiting period for us. You'd think Chiles and/or Rico would be covering some areas. We are either in great shape or scrambling. We'll see shortly. You and I have felt for some time Obekpa was not in the cards. Tonight's appearance by Cronin & SJU absence further supports that IMO. Still feel great about Sanchez, but the Chandler wild card is one where I don't have a clue. Oh well!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 09:58:10 PM by paultzman »

In Vegas

Im becoming very concerned, just wish I knew why we aren't at these big time events. Still have faith though, just gotta see how it ends up

paultzman

“@ebosshoops: Mick Cronin is on Chris Obekpa watch again. 2014 PG Tyree Griffin of New Orleans elite isn't big but he is tough.”

Cronin has already recruited another big and is relentless in trying to get Chris.

It looks like Obekpa is targetting May 5th, Derby day, to make a decision.

Tiznow

It looks like Obekpa is targetting May 5th, Derby day, to make a decision.

I'll take Gemologist over Obekpa. 

Heard he is no longer visiting Oregon and cut them from his list, not sure if its true though

Heard he is no longer visiting Oregon and cut them from his list, not sure if its true though

This basically means he knows where he is going.

Tiznow Wrote: I'll take Gemologist over Obekpa   

How about Bodemeister?
Over Obekpa?
Over Gemologist?

paultzman

“@AdamZagoria: I'm told Chris Obekpa is rescheduling his visit to Oregon, but is not cancelling it.”

Gumby

I feel good about our chances with Chris.  And no, Moose, not the "KA good feeling" I had last year! Particularly, if we are in the final two for Chris' services.

A recruit tends to have several criteria in selecting a school.  These selection items may range from the HC, his staff, the facilities, tradition, the makeup of the rest of the team, etc.  However, I believe the HC tends to be the major reason for most recruits' final selections.  And that also means the character of the HC.  I would stack up Coach Lavin's character with any other coach.  He definitely is not the type to be one DUI or fooling around stuff away from being let go, as we have seen happened to a number of coaches in various college sports over the past few years regardless of their  past accomplishments.

I believe most recruits want their HCs to be there for the full run of their college careers.  Chris, look at this factor among the others when making your decision in the next few weeks.

By the way, I believe you would look great in red at MSG.

paultzman

I feel good about our chances with Chris.  And no, Moose, not the "KA good feeling" I had last year! Particularly, if we are in the final two for Chris' services.

A recruit tends to have several criteria in selecting a school.  These selection items may range from the HC, his staff, the facilities, tradition, the makeup of the rest of the team, etc.  However, I believe the HC tends to be the major reason for most recruits' final selections.  And that also means the character of the HC.  I would stack up Coach Lavin's character with any other coach.  He definitely is not the type to be one DUI or fooling around stuff away from being let go, as we have seen happened to a number of coaches in various college sports over the past few years regardless of their  past accomplishments.

I believe most recruits want their HCs to be there for the full run of their college careers.  Chris, look at this factor among the others when making your decision in the next few weeks.

Sorry, not in the cards. Cinci!!!

Moose

Wish I shared your optimism but everything I'm hearing points to him wearing a different shade of red

paultzman

Wish I shared your optimism but everything I'm hearing points to him wearing a different shade of red

Moose, unrelated to Chris, any idea what the focus on the two  week Euro trip was about? Back up plan, 2013 or a surprise?

Poison

If he goes to Cinci how much will they have pay him?

desco80

Moose, unrelated to Chris, any idea what the focus on the two  week Euro trip was about? Back up plan, 2013 or a surprise?

I'm not trying to stir the pot - because I have no problem if it was - but what are the odds it was half a vacation, covering as a recruiting trip.

Dave mentioned there was nobody at that academy we would want this year, so maybe coach went to show his face, shake hands, and lay the seeds for prospects down the road.   And in the process enjoy a little r&r with Mary?
I don't think it needs to be a conspiracy to say our coach may have taken a vacation after the Final 4.   When else can he..
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 04:51:59 PM by desco80 »

Moose

I'm no trying to stir the pot - because I have no problem if it was - but what are the odds it was half a vacation, covering as a recruiting trip.

Dave mentioned there was nobody at that academy we would want this year, so maybe coach went to show his face, shake hands, and lay the seeds for prospects down the road.   And in process enjoy a little r&r with Mary?
I don't think it needs to be a conspiracy to say our coach may have taken a vacation after the Final 4.   When else can he..

Haven't heard for certain but I think your along the right track.  Staff felt very confident with the Monroe boys for awhile.  Same with Chandler.  Only so much you can do with others if your just not getting that warm and fuzzy feeling.  I know some people here will complain about that but I'm thinking along your lines as well.

As for Paultz I haven't really heard what the recruiting reason was.  My opinion and my opinion only was it was related to the US team there.  NOT Canaris.  It says a lot when he can tell a recruit he traveled halfway across the world to see them.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 04:54:03 PM by Moose »

paultzman

I'm no trying to stir the pot - because I have no problem if it was - but what are the odds it was half a vacation, covering as a recruiting trip.

Dave mentioned there was nobody at that academy we would want this year, so maybe coach went to show his face, shake hands, and lay the seeds for prospects down the road.   And in process enjoy a little r&r with Mary?

Haven't heard for certain but I think your along the right track.  Staff felt very confident with the Monroe boys for awhile.  Same with Chandler.  Only so much you can do with others if your just not getting that warm and fuzzy feeling.  I know some people here will complain about that but I'm thinking along your lines as well.

As for Paultz I haven't really heard what the recruiting reason was.  My opinion and my opinion only was it was related to the US team there.  NOT Canaris.  It says a lot when he can tell a recruit he traveled halfway across the world to see them.

Thanks Moose, makes sense considering Jermaine L was there. Goodman too, although I just don't feel we are serious w him.

Tiznow

Zapper, I admit I'm biased on my preference for Gemologist.  And he looked very good after galloping out after the Wood.

As for Obekpa playing for the right shade of red, I am keeping hope.  We already had one surprise.  This kid still might make the right decision.  Cronin is not easy to beat, but has not sealed this one yet. 

Marillac

Definitely some vacation mixed in, but I'm sure Lav cleared that with the folks at STJ first.  It would have been pretty negligent to not have someone checking out the overseas talent while also getting in good with the US recruits that were there.  It was a great recruiting opportunity to combine both. 

I think Lav knew (better than anyone here) where he stood with the recruits, and felt good enough to take a few days.  Can't argue that after we just landed two guys today and have several others vying for one or two spots.