Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies

Poison

Let's hope he returns to Queens in the summer and fall.  I feel the SJU chances are looking better.  Cincy is rumored as being in front for a long time, but they have not received a committment.  He's spending his post HS season time a lot closer to Queens than Cincy.  The time works in favor of SJU if they are chasing. 

I suppose he gets this trip to Oregon over with and we'll hear the word. 

What New Yorker in their right mind chooses Cinci over SJ? Oh yea, Lance.

Let's hope he returns to Queens in the summer and fall.  I feel the SJU chances are looking better.  Cincy is rumored as being in front for a long time, but they have not received a committment.  He's spending his post HS season time a lot closer to Queens than Cincy.  The time works in favor of SJU if they are chasing. 

Probably choose Cincy over Norm.

Tiznow

No comparison.  Besides, do you really consider Obekpa a New Yorker? Other local products have picked Cincy or Depaul over SJU.  Just hoping this guy sees a good future close to his new home. This area has worked out for him thus far.

We'll soon know
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 10:58:51 PM by jumpinjohnny »

Poison

Yes, I consider Obekpa a New Yorker. And because of that, I think he is an important recruit. If Norm was still here we could expect him to leave, but Lavin makes players better. He's got a pro staff. He has the NY media behind him and this entire program. Cinci is a thug school. 

Yes, I consider Obekpa a New Yorker. And because of that, I think he is an important recruit. If Norm was still here we could expect him to leave, but Lavin makes players better. He's got a pro staff. He has the NY media behind him and this entire program. Cinci is a thug school. 

Why would you consider him a NYer?  He moved from Africa to a prep school in Centereach, 50 miles from the city, to play hoops and get a scholly.  There's nothing NY about him. 

Poison

Why would you consider him a NYer?  He moved from Africa to a prep school in Centereach, 50 miles from the city, to play hoops and get a scholly.  There's nothing NY about him. 

Sorry, you live in Long Island, you're a New Yorker. People come to. NY from all over the world. After which do know what they're called? New Yorkers. Who gives a sh*t where's he's from originally? I certainly don't.

LJSA

Sorry, you live in Long Island, you're a New Yorker. People come to. NY from all over the world. After which do know what they're called? New Yorkers. Who gives a sh*t where's he's from originally? I certainly don't.

Maybe so, but does HE consider himself a New Yorker?

Obekpa isn't a New Yorker, but he is an African, and it means something that NYC has the largest African population in North America.  Most immigrant Africans prefer to be in a culturally diverse environment as opposed to say, a place like Cincy!

I actually felt that the frontrunner for Obekpa was UCONN, but then the Oriakhi depature with his father's comments about his son being treated like a "slave" (Oriahkhi also Nigerian I think) and then all the post-season bans.  Seems like things are just imploding at UCONN.

derk

You did say "right mind" didn't you.

desco80

I don't give a sh*t where he's from now either though.   To me Obekpa would be great for his shot blocking ability right out of the gate, and the hope the staff could work on his back to the basket moves over the next few years.    He gets no bonus points in my eyes for playing his HS basketball in Centerreach long Island. 

This isn't Moe or any other player that everyone associated with NYC and had grown up in our own backyard.  He hasn't.   
Normally I agree with your NYC kids first mentality.   Don't think it applies here.   Obekpa doesn't pave the way for future kids or prove we can recruit in NYC again. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 12:36:55 PM by desco80 »

people living in Suffolk may as well be living on the Oregon coastline.  :2funny:

Are you talking about NY Stater?  If so, I still don't agree Chris is a NYer based upon his personal situation but could agree generally that a LIer is a NYer.  However as someone who grew up out Centereach way I can tell you now those folks are not NYers as far as the city is concerned.  And Purist, as someone who grew up in Suffolk I would say for the vast majority you're not so far from wrong, especially if you're east of Smithtown (which I was growing up, as is Centereach).

But back to Chris, what is his citizenship?  Where would he be lving if he wasn't 6'8" tall?  Not in NY, not even in the US.  He's as much a NYer as a tourist on line at TKTS.  Doesn't mean NYC wouldn't be ideal for him, but it's for the reasons Lapchick65 brought up and has nothing to do with the fact he went to prep school for a couple of years in Centereach. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 01:18:21 PM by yankcranker »

paultzman

GPS discussion? Come on!

paultzman

Visiting Oregon April 22

Moose

Visiting Oregon April 22

Pushed back?
Remember who broke the Slice news

At Oregon 4/22-24 as per Zagoria

Visiting Oregon April 22

Pushed back?

Yeah.  Odd choice though: Sunday, Monday Tuesday visit?  My guess is OSNA might be on their spring break then.

Moose

Visiting Oregon April 22

Pushed back?

Yeah.  Odd choice though: Sunday, Monday Tuesday visit?  My guess is OSNA might be on their spring break then.

My optimism in Obekpa is low.  We have his teammate.  He changed his mind and asked to visit and we impressed him, no doubt.  And he still wants to go visit Oregon.  I don't know but I'm not feeling it.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Visiting Oregon April 22

Pushed back?

My optimism in Obekpa is low.  We have his teammate.  He changed his mind and asked to visit and we impressed him, no doubt.  And he still wants to go visit Oregon.  I don't know but I'm not feeling it.

Well the same could be said for Cincy, no?  Why would he visit Oregon if he has already decided on Cincy let alone SJU?

I think he is probably a slight Cincy lean right now but either way I am pretty sure the Oregon visit is nothing more then window dressing.

paultzman

Visiting Oregon April 22

Pushed back?

Agree Moose. Kind of ruling him out in my mind. If wrong, I will be surprised and happy.