Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies

Moose

Obekpa is the #15 rated center according to Rivals for 2012

Lets look at 2011

1. Norvel Pelle (ha no explanation needed)
2. Rakeem Christmas (CUSE) 2.8 ppg, 2.9 rpg, .8 big 11.5 mpg but did start every game pretty much
3. Adjehi Baru (Charleston) 7.8 ppg, 6.3 rpg. .7 bpg 26.7 mpg
4. Johnny O'Bryant (LSU) 8.4 ppg, 6.7 rpg, .8 bpg 21.4 mpg
5. Michael Chandler (ha no explanation here either)
6. Tyler Adams (GTOWN) 2.5 ppg, 2.3 rpg, .8 big, 6mpg (only played 3 games then sidelined due to heart issue)
7.Willy Kouassi (Auburn) 1.5 ppg, 2.6 rpg, .6bpg 10.2 mpg
8. Zach Price (LVILLE) .7 ppg, .9 rpg, .2 bpg 4.3 mpg
9. Angelo Chol (ZONA) 2.7 ppg, 2.2 rpg, .8 bpg, 12.1 mpg
10. Amir Williams (Ohio St) 1.7 ppg, 2.2 rpg, .8 bpg 6.6 mpg
11. Marshall Plumlee (Duke) REDSHIRTED

For shits and giggles lets throw his brothers in here.

Mason's 1st yr- 3.7 ppg, 3.1 rpg, .9 bpg, 14.1 mpg
Miles 1st yr- 1.8 ppg, 1.4 rpg, .5 bpg, 6.9 mpg

Back to rankings

12. Nick Jacobs (BAMA) 6.2 ppg, 3.6 rpg, .8 bpg, 19.2 mpg
13. Joseph Uchebo (Did not qualify)
14. Nnanna Egwu (Illinois) 1.9 ppg, 1.5 rpg, .6 bpg, 9.8 mpg

Egwu made me think of his teammate Meyers Leonard who is supposed to be a 1st rd caliber player this year in the Draft.  Leonard went for 2.1 ppg, 1.2 rpg, .4 bpg in 8.2 mpg his first year.  He then improved to the tune of 13.6 ppg, 8.2 rpg, 1.9 bpg in 31.8 mpg this year.  Pretty nice YOY growth.

Finally the same position that Obekpa was this year

15. Malcolm Gilbert (PITT) .5 ppg, .9 rpg, .3 bpg 4.9 mpg

Now you think all these schools with most of these 'offensively challenged' big men, think they have D2 and D3 centers on their hands?

Freshman big men usually don't get much PT year one. And last year was a weak class for centers. No one said he was a D2 center which seems to be the point you are missing. I would argue that Obekpa is a better shot blocker than any of the guys on that list. He's a bad offensive player, other than that, he's great.

I'm not missing any point.  Theo said he had D2 offensive skills and you are agreeing with that assertion.  I'm blowing up that theory.  I just showed you rankings from last year and how they performed year 1.  You see hits, you see misses, you see nobody with his D (like you correctly pointed out) but you average in all those numbers and you get some pretty weak offensive numbers.  Obekpa can do that at the D1 level with his eyes closed (heck maybe thats why he's dropping passes).

Thank you for making my work day go much faster today :)

Throwing out numbers of guys who don't play much doesn't "blow up" any theory.  Lets put what he does offensively against MANY D2 bigmen and you will see those D2 players are more developed. 

He is absolutely a Big East player and likely an impact Big East player pretty immediately ALL because of his shot blocking/altering abilities.  Hell, Hamady N'Diaye is in the NBA and he did almost offensively in college.  As I said in earlier post, I can't see much of a difference in his shot blocking ability vs. Nerlens'. Me saying his offensive ability is far behind what he does defensively DOESNT change the big picture of what he is as a prospect.  And as I said, a staff member of a school that recruited him echoed the same thoughts to me a few months back.

Can Obekpa average some of those numbers above?  Yes.  So then I guess all those guys also have D2 offensive games.  Theo you know basketball.  You know a big man is going to get a couple tip ins off misses, a dunk or two on nice give and a couple FT's.  That's it.  You do that on a regular basis and you put up decent numbers.  And yes Ndaiye is a perfect example.  Obekpa is never going to be on a team and be the 1-4 offensive option.  D2/D3 is an outlandish statement.  We can reconvene if this kid decides to pick a damn school otherwise he will be like Pelle, Chandler and Uchebo on the list above.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Happy

I don't think there is much NOT true about what people are saying of Obekpa's abilities.  He has other-worldly defensive ability which can alter an opponent's game plan and he has D2 or D3 offensive skills at this point.

D2 or D3 offensive skills.
Come on.
Nobody would be highly sought after or ranked as high if your evaluation was in fact true.

So when I tell you a staff member of a school that has recruited Obekpa echoed the same thoughts your reaction is......

Coaches throw out tongue in cheek analogies like that all the time.  Most likely highlighting the fact that he isn't exactly the most polished offensive player.

Moose

I don't think there is much NOT true about what people are saying of Obekpa's abilities.  He has other-worldly defensive ability which can alter an opponent's game plan and he has D2 or D3 offensive skills at this point.

D2 or D3 offensive skills.
Come on.
Nobody would be highly sought after or ranked as high if your evaluation was in fact true.

So when I tell you a staff member of a school that has recruited Obekpa echoed the same thoughts your reaction is......

Coaches throw out tongue in cheek analogies like that all the time.  Most likely highlighting the fact that he isn't exactly the most polished offensive player.

Because most fans see a Top 100 player and expect him to come in and light it up regardless of what position he plays.  I said it months ago and will stand by it.  4.5 ppg, 4 rpg, 2 bpg would be an ideal perfect stat line for Obekpa freshman year

Moose

Imagine if he goes to Cincy and scores 10 points vs. us.   :2funny:

paultzman

Imagine if he goes to Cincy and scores 10 points vs. us.   :2funny:

Starting to believe Chris thinks he is a junior. Commit already!

Moose

Since someone mentioned last year being a weak Center class and the Rangers playing like crap here is 2010.  Only 13 centers ranked for them that year so actually less in the Top 150.

1. Jared Sullinger (Ohio St) 17.2 ppg, 10.2 rpg, .5 bpg, 31.7 mpg 1st rd pick this yr
2. Fab Melo (CUSE) 2.3 ppg, 1.9 rpg, .8 bpg, 9.9 mpg 1st rd pick this year
3. Adreian Payne (Mich St) 2.5 ppg, 2.4 rpg, .8 bpg, 9 mpg
4. Josh Smith (UCLA) 10.9 ppg, 6.3 ppg, 1 bpg, 21.7 mpg (god forbid this kid ever got in shape and gave a crap)
5. Patric Young (FLA) 3.4 ppg, 3.8 rpg, .8 bpg, 17.7 mpg
6. Meyers Leonard- PREVIOUS POST
7. Tarik Black (MEMPHIS) 9.1 ppg, 5 rpg, 1.6 bpg 22.6 mpg
8. CJ Aiken (St. Joe's) 10.8 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 3.5 bpg 27.5 mpg
9. Demarco Cox (MISS) 1.6 ppg, 1.9 rpg, .5 bpg, 8.6 mpg
10. Carson Desrosiers (WAKE) 4.0 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 1.7 bpg 19.1 mpg (Transferred after this year)
11. Moses Abraham (GTOWN) no clue what this guys story is? Anyone?
12. Alex Kirk (NEW MEX) 4.7 ppg, 3.7 rpg, .6 bpg, 15 mpg
13. Maurice Walker (MINNY) 3.7 ppg, 2.8 rpg, .4 bpg, 9.6 mpg

paultzman

Since someone mentioned last year being a weak Center class and the Rangers playing like crap here is 2010.  Only 13 centers ranked for them that year so actually less in the Top 150.

1. Jared Sullinger (Ohio St) 17.2 ppg, 10.2 rpg, .5 bpg, 31.7 mpg 1st rd pick this yr
4. Josh Smith (UCLA) 10.9 ppg, 6.3 ppg, 1 bpg, 21.7 mpg (god forbid this kid ever got in shape and gave a crap)
10. Carson Desrosiers (WAKE) 4.0 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 1.7 bpg 19.1 mpg (Transferred after this year)

Moose, are you a bounty hunter? Never gives up! Lol!

Moose

Moose, are you a bounty hunter? Never gives up! Lol!

I've been 'working' all day :)  This is therapeutic

Marillac

It's kind of a silly argument.  There are some D-2 and D-3 "bigs" that are exponentially more skilled than D-1 big men.  The problem is they are usually 6'6/6'7 and dont have the athletic ability and/or length of their D-1 counterparts. 

I think Theo (and co.) was simply saying the affect Obekpa would have on the offensive end would be nothing more than what a D-2 or D-3 center would bring.  Defensively, though, the kid is undeniably a monster.  He also hits the offensive glass pretty impressively.  All things considered for the first few years--like most offensive projects at the center position--whoever lands Obekpa would probably enjoy the same or perhaps even a little more success pounding the ball into a very skilled but less talented D-2/D-3 player on that end of the floor.  Defensively, Obekpa is going to have an incredible effect on the game that a D-2/D-3 player could never come close to.

It's kind of a silly argument.  There are some D-2 and D-3 "bigs" that are exponentially more skilled than D-1 big men.  The problem is they are usually 6'6/6'7 and dont have the athletic ability and/or length of their D-1 counterparts. 

I think Theo (and co.) was simply saying the affect Obekpa would have on the offensive end would be nothing more than what a D-2 or D-3 center would bring.  Defensively, though, the kid is undeniably a monster.  He also hits the offensive glass pretty impressively.  All things considered for the first few years--like most offensive projects at the center position--whoever lands Obekpa would probably enjoy the same or perhaps even a little more success pounding the ball into a very skilled but less talented D-2/D-3 player on that end of the floor.  Defensively, Obekpa is going to have an incredible effect on the game that a D-2/D-3 player could never come close to.

Exactly what I was trying to say, lol, thank you.

Moose

But Do you really think a D2 center (most of which aren't 6'9) would experience any semblance of their offensive success at D1 level.  Otherwise they would be at the MAAC level schools of the world.

Rangers going to OT. I'm expecting to see Moose get even edgier on this thread now

Moose

Rangers going to OT. I'm expecting to see Moose get even edgier on this thread now

Haha
I'd rather Obekpa say we're the favorites again and everyone can flip and expect 14 ppg, 8 rpg and 5 blocks :)

Marillac

But Do you really think a D2 center (most of which aren't 6'9) would experience any semblance of their offensive success at D1 level.  Otherwise they would be at the MAAC level schools of the world.

Certainly not wth the same degree of success as they would have at the appropriate level, but probably could produce more than some of the young projects in the D-1 ranks if nothing more than just passing, screening, hitting open jumpers,  having a clue.  Some of the most skilled centers in the country land at the lower school, because they don't have the combination of size, athleticism, and length you need to make it work at the D-1 level.  Kids that have been perfecting back-to-the-basket moves since they were in first grade, that can shoot from midrange and the perimeter ike SF's, and can face up and put the ball on the floor.  The thing is that they can get perfect position, seal their man, make a great move to the basket and then have their shot swatted into the bleachers by a kid who had poor positioning just because he has four inches on his man and arms as long as tree branches.  What is the reward for a coach playing a kid like that...they'll probably neve be able to produce consitently and would not be able to defend the trees on the other end. 

Look at Mt. St. Mary's against us this year.  Their "bigs" were tremendously skilled and did some damage to us. 

Moose you seem to be implying that we have no chance at Obekpa?  Fact?

Certainly not wth the same degree of success as they would have at the appropriate level, but probably could produce more than some of the young projects in the D-1 ranks if nothing more than just passing, screening, hitting open jumpers,  having a clue.  Some of the most skilled centers in the country land at the lower school, because they don't have the combination of size, athleticism, and length you need to make it work at the D-1 level.  Kids that have been perfecting back-to-the-basket moves since they were in first grade, that can shoot from midrange and the perimeter ike SF's, and can face up and put the ball on the floor.  The thing is that they can get perfect position, seal their man, make a great move to the basket and then have their shot swatted into the bleachers by a kid who had poor positioning just because he has four inches on his man and arms as long as tree branches.  What is the reward for a coach playing a kid like that...they'll probably neve be able to produce consitently and would not be able to defend the trees on the other end. 

Look at Mt. St. Mary's against us this year.  Their "bigs" were tremendously skilled and did some damage to us.

Yeah but allowing that 6'7" spot shooter drop seven threes on us made the real difference. Our "D" is so vulnerable to corner threes if the opponent shoots well we're in trouble.  With more depth I hope we see more man or at least better closing out. 

Can you imagine if the roles were reversed what this board would be like?

In other words a top 100 player rumored to be headed to SJU. still won't make it official and keeps flirting with taking more visits with no decision in sight?

That is what Cincinnati is going through now.

Marillac

In other words a top 100 player rumored to be headed to SJU. still won't make it official and keeps flirting with taking more visits with no decision in sight?

Slightly different, but Chandler is putting us through the same thing. 

Moose

Chandler isn't putting us thru anything.  The staff doesn't want him verballed unless the NCAA gives him their blessing.  And he understands that as well.

Chandler isn't putting us thru anything.  The staff doesn't want him verballed unless the NCAA gives him their blessing.  And he understands that as well.

Chandler is 100% academics. Unlike Obekpa we don't read recruiting stories weekly about him still making up his mind despite rumors that he is headed to Cincinnati.