Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies
This may be a bad example, but look at Tim Tebow.

His arm is very below average, certainly not NFL caliber, but he makes up for it in other areas (mobility, toughness, leadership), which makes him serviceable. If he was not mobile, he would not be in the NFL, and most likely not a D1 college QB.

If Obekpa wasn't such a great defender, he's be looking for a D2 school or JUCO to play for.

Absurd.. A typical center or forward in D2 is usually about 6'6.

All I'm saying is his offense is horrible. I've seen D2 ball, and there are plenty of big men who are crafty around the basket and know how to put the ball in the hoop way better than Obekpa, they just don't have many other things that make up a D1 player. And they can catch an entry pass. Obekpa is very raw, he could eventually become a decent or even a very good offensive player, but right now he's far from it. I don't know how anyone can watch Obekpa offensively and say he's on par with other D1 centers.

Center won't be getting the rock anyway.

Happy

His arm is very below average, certainly not NFL caliber, but he makes up for it in other areas (mobility, toughness, leadership), which makes him serviceable. If he was not mobile, he would not be in the NFL, and most likely not a D1 college QB.

If Obekpa wasn't such a great defender, he's be looking for a D2 school or JUCO to play for.

All I'm saying is his offense is horrible. I've seen D2 ball, and there are plenty of big men who are crafty around the basket and know how to put the ball in the hoop way better than Obekpa, they just don't have many other things that make up a D1 player. And they can catch an entry pass. Obekpa is very raw, he could eventually become a decent or even a very good offensive player, but right now he's far from it. I don't know how anyone can watch Obekpa offensively and say he's on par with other D1 centers.

This is silly.. You are right. Not only is he not better offensively than the 350 current division one centers.. But he is only good enough to be a D2 center if he didn't have his defensive skills.  These are the evaluations that you made from a video. Smh

This is silly.. You are right. Not only is he not better offensively than the 350 current division one centers.. But he is only good enough to be a D2 center if he didn't have his defensive skills.  These are the evaluations that you made from a video. Smh

I admit I haven't seen a lot of him. Two games. I watch quite a bit of basketball however, and know the difference between a good offensive player and a bad one. You act like I'm calling him a bad player. Far from it, it really sucks he's not coming here and I'm disappointed he's not. But the reason I'm disappointed is not because we'll be missing out on his offensive prowess.

paultzman

I admit I haven't seen a lot of him. Two games. I watch quite a bit of basketball however, and know the difference between a good offensive player and a bad one. You act like I'm calling him a bad player. Far from it, it really sucks he's not coming here and I'm disappointed he's not. But the reason I'm disappointed is not because we'll be missing out on his offensive prowess.

No Mas! The horse is dead man!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 07:33:06 PM by paultzman »

I knew he sucked offensively for awhile now, but I couldn't post it
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 07:35:27 PM by Marco Baldi »

Moose

Obekpa is the #15 rated center according to Rivals for 2012

Lets look at 2011

1. Norvel Pelle (ha no explanation needed)
2. Rakeem Christmas (CUSE) 2.8 ppg, 2.9 rpg, .8 big 11.5 mpg but did start every game pretty much
3. Adjehi Baru (Charleston) 7.8 ppg, 6.3 rpg. .7 bpg 26.7 mpg
4. Johnny O'Bryant (LSU) 8.4 ppg, 6.7 rpg, .8 bpg 21.4 mpg
5. Michael Chandler (ha no explanation here either)
6. Tyler Adams (GTOWN) 2.5 ppg, 2.3 rpg, .8 big, 6mpg (only played 3 games then sidelined due to heart issue)
7.Willy Kouassi (Auburn) 1.5 ppg, 2.6 rpg, .6bpg 10.2 mpg
8. Zach Price (LVILLE) .7 ppg, .9 rpg, .2 bpg 4.3 mpg
9. Angelo Chol (ZONA) 2.7 ppg, 2.2 rpg, .8 bpg, 12.1 mpg
10. Amir Williams (Ohio St) 1.7 ppg, 2.2 rpg, .8 bpg 6.6 mpg
11. Marshall Plumlee (Duke) REDSHIRTED

For shits and giggles lets throw his brothers in here.

Mason's 1st yr- 3.7 ppg, 3.1 rpg, .9 bpg, 14.1 mpg
Miles 1st yr- 1.8 ppg, 1.4 rpg, .5 bpg, 6.9 mpg

Back to rankings

12. Nick Jacobs (BAMA) 6.2 ppg, 3.6 rpg, .8 bpg, 19.2 mpg
13. Joseph Uchebo (Did not qualify)
14. Nnanna Egwu (Illinois) 1.9 ppg, 1.5 rpg, .6 bpg, 9.8 mpg

Egwu made me think of his teammate Meyers Leonard who is supposed to be a 1st rd caliber player this year in the Draft.  Leonard went for 2.1 ppg, 1.2 rpg, .4 bpg in 8.2 mpg his first year.  He then improved to the tune of 13.6 ppg, 8.2 rpg, 1.9 bpg in 31.8 mpg this year.  Pretty nice YOY growth.

Finally the same position that Obekpa was this year

15. Malcolm Gilbert (PITT) .5 ppg, .9 rpg, .3 bpg 4.9 mpg

Now you think all these schools with most of these 'offensively challenged' big men, think they have D2 and D3 centers on their hands?
Remember who broke the Slice news

I don't think there is much NOT true about what people are saying of Obekpa's abilities.  He has other-worldly defensive ability which can alter an opponent's game plan and he has D2 or D3 offensive skills at this point.

D2 or D3 offensive skills.
Come on.
Nobody would be highly sought after or ranked as high if your evaluation was in fact true.

never seen him make a post move

Again D2 or D3.  Think about that statement.  That means offensively he's worse than the Center of NJIT.

Do you not think there are D2 centers who are better offensively then him? I bet there are plenty

Then why aren't they in D1?

Not as tall, athletic and most importantly dont have an elite skill such as Opekba's shot blocking.
 Would I take him here? Yes. Would I take him over chandler or nolan? No.

Who ever said take him over someone?

Plenty of people said that a couple of us are saying "bad" things about him because he no longer is considering us. Im just saying that I would want him but that hes offensive skills are extremely lackluster for the D1 level.

Better? :)
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Happy

Lets look at 2011

2. Rakeem Christmas (CUSE) 2.8 ppg, 2.9 rpg, .8 big 11.5 mpg but did start every game pretty much
6. Tyler Adams (GTOWN) 2.5 ppg, 2.3 rpg, .8 big, 6mpg (only played 3 games then sidelined due to heart issue)

Back to rankings

Egwu made me think of his teammate Meyers Leonard who is supposed to be a 1st rd caliber player this year in the Draft.  Leonard went for 2.1 ppg, 1.2 rpg, .4 bpg in 8.2 mpg his first year.  He then improved to the tune of 13.6 ppg, 8.2 rpg, 1.9 bpg in 31.8 mpg this year.  Pretty nice YOY growth.

Now you think all these schools with most of these 'offensively challenged' big men, think they have D2 and D3 centers on their hands?

Hopefully this post puts this topic to rest.  Good job Moose.. Or as White Goodman would say in Dodgeball .. " total facial Lafleur".  :)

Lets look at 2011

Back to rankings

Freshman big men usually don't get much PT year one. And last year was a weak class for centers. No one said he was a D2 center which seems to be the point you are missing. I would argue that Obekpa is a better shot blocker than any of the guys on that list. He's a bad offensive player, other than that, he's great. He will improve too as he works with D1 coaches, I don't ever expect him to average a lot of points though.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 07:57:37 PM by redstorm212 »

boo3

please lord...make it stop...  lol

Have a great weekend all.  Gonna watch this hockey game first.

Moose

Lets look at 2011

Back to rankings

Freshman big men usually don't get much PT year one. And last year was a weak class for centers. No one said he was a D2 center which seems to be the point you are missing. I would argue that Obekpa is a better shot blocker than any of the guys on that list. He's a bad offensive player, other than that, he's great.

I'm not missing any point.  Theo said he had D2 offensive skills and you are agreeing with that assertion.  I'm blowing up that theory.  I just showed you rankings from last year and how they performed year 1.  You see hits, you see misses, you see nobody with his D (like you correctly pointed out) but you average in all those numbers and you get some pretty weak offensive numbers.  Obekpa can do that at the D1 level with his eyes closed (heck maybe thats why he's dropping passes).

Thank you for making my work day go much faster today :)

MCNPA

Lets look at 2011

Back to rankings

...God's Gift 9.4ppg 5.8rpg 29mpg

Looks like we should be happy with our post player situation. 

Lets look at 2011

Back to rankings

Very informative post. Very good to know I can use " shits " without it getting modified :)

Moose

Lets look at 2011

Back to rankings

...God's Gift 9.4ppg 5.8rpg 29mpg

Looks like we should be happy with our post player situation. 

But others say he's not a BE player.......oh wait I probably shouldn't go there :)

Just imagine how I'm gonna post later if the Rangers lose haha

Lets look at 2011

Back to rankings

Freshman big men usually don't get much PT year one. And last year was a weak class for centers. No one said he was a D2 center which seems to be the point you are missing. I would argue that Obekpa is a better shot blocker than any of the guys on that list. He's a bad offensive player, other than that, he's great.

I'm not missing any point.  Theo said he had D2 offensive skills and you are agreeing with that assertion.  I'm blowing up that theory.  I just showed you rankings from last year and how they performed year 1.  You see hits, you see misses, you see nobody with his D (like you correctly pointed out) but you average in all those numbers and you get some pretty weak offensive numbers.  Obekpa can do that at the D1 level with his eyes closed (heck maybe thats why he's dropping passes).

No problem. I guess we will see how his offensive game progresses at Cincy.

I don't think there is much NOT true about what people are saying of Obekpa's abilities.  He has other-worldly defensive ability which can alter an opponent's game plan and he has D2 or D3 offensive skills at this point.

Come on.
Nobody would be highly sought after or ranked as high if your evaluation was in fact true.

So when I tell you a staff member of a school that has recruited Obekpa echoed the same thoughts your reaction is......
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

paultzman

Come on.

So when I tell you a staff member of a school that has recruited Obekpa echoed the same thoughts your reaction is......

Theo, never wake up a sleeping Moose! Lol!

Lets look at 2011

Back to rankings

Throwing out numbers of guys who don't play much doesn't "blow up" any theory.  Lets put what he does offensively against MANY D2 bigmen and you will see those D2 players are more developed. 

He is absolutely a Big East player and likely an impact Big East player pretty immediately ALL because of his shot blocking/altering abilities.  Hell, Hamady N'Diaye is in the NBA and he did almost offensively in college.  As I said in earlier post, I can't see much of a difference in his shot blocking ability vs. Nerlens'. Me saying his offensive ability is far behind what he does defensively DOESNT change the big picture of what he is as a prospect.  And as I said, a staff member of a school that recruited him echoed the same thoughts to me a few months back.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Moose

Come on.

I would tell that coach to his face  that he should think twice about that statement so he doesn't look foolish.  Then I'd ask what his boss said when he told him that.  If you/him said he had low mid major offensive game I wouldn't blink twice.  BIG difference between that and D2/D3. 

He's recruiting him for his defense.  And the hope they can mold something manageable out of him on the other end.