Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies
I don't think there is much NOT true about what people are saying of Obekpa's abilities.  He has other-worldly defensive ability which can alter an opponent's game plan and he has D2 or D3 offensive skills at this point.

D2 or D3 offensive skills.
Come on.
Nobody would be highly sought after or ranked as high if your evaluation was in fact true.

I've watched two full games on basketball diary youtube, and he is god awful offensively. Not sure there was one pass he didn't bobble or drop, and once he brings the ball down, it's almost an automatic turnover. I think D2 or D3 offensive skill is a fair evaluation.

Defensively it's another story. From what I've seen, he has to be the best shot blocker/post defender in the entire 2012 class.

Moose

I don't think there is much NOT true about what people are saying of Obekpa's abilities.  He has other-worldly defensive ability which can alter an opponent's game plan and he has D2 or D3 offensive skills at this point.

Come on.
Nobody would be highly sought after or ranked as high if your evaluation was in fact true.

I've watched two full games on basketball diary youtube, and he is god awful offensively. Not sure there was one pass he didn't bobble or drop, and once he brings the ball down, it's almost an automatic turnover. I think D2 or D3 offensive skill is a fair evaluation.

Defensively it's another story. From what I've seen, he has to be the best shot blocker/post defender in the entire 2012 class.

I'm harping on the D2 or D3 thing because think about it.  There are close to 350 schools in D1.  They have 13 schollies each.  Obekpa is the same as Dieng or any other offensively raw center who is new to the game of basketball.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Come on.

never seen him make a post move

Again D2 or D3.  Think about that statement.  That means offensively he's worse than the Center of NJIT.

Do you not think there are D2 centers who are better offensively then him? I bet there are plenty
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

Come on.

I'm harping on the D2 or D3 thing because think about it.  There are close to 350 schools in D1.  They have 13 schollies each.  Obekpa is the same as Dieng or any other offensively raw center who is new to the game of basketball.

Exactly Moose! Rest assured he would quickly be elevated to D1 status the moment we signed him. Objectivity is a lost art!

Come on.

I just think there are plenty of D2 centers who are decent offensively (better than Obekpa), but don't have the athletic ability/size/rebounding/defensive ability to play D1.

Obekpa has huge upside, don't get me wrong, but right now, his offensive skills are extremely below average. He already has enough defensive skill to get major minutes for most teams in the country. 

Moose

Come on.

Again D2 or D3.  Think about that statement.  That means offensively he's worse than the Center of NJIT.

Do you not think there are D2 centers who are better offensively then him? I bet there are plenty

Then why aren't they in D1?

Moose

Come on.

I just think there are plenty of D2 centers who are decent offensively (better than Obekpa), but don't have the athletic ability/size/rebounding/defensive ability to play D1.

Obekpa has huge upside, don't get me wrong, but right now, his offensive skills are extremely below average. He already has enough defensive skill to get major minutes for most teams in the country. 

So if Obekpa plays next year and averages 5 ppg which is not a lot by any stretch of the imagination.  That is 2-3 putbacks a game.  Now if you want a center with post moves, no he isn't that.  But some of those D2 centers you and Mase are talking about don't have the quickness, speed or raw tools to use those skills at the D1 level.  1st year stats like that would put him on par with most centers including a very close comparable who lead his team soph year to the FF in Dieng.

Happy

What is the point??  Chris Obepka would be the biggest d2 or d3 recruit in history.  I can think of plenty of d1 centers who are limited offensively. In fact some have played for our team in recent memory.  For the posters who are catching a glimpse of him via the Internet Is8 videos...keep in mind that the gym is a band box.  It is a complete guard gym.  Oh and another thing... HE ISN'T COMING HERE!

Come on.

So if Obekpa plays next year and averages 5 ppg which is not a lot by any stretch of the imagination.  That is 2-3 putbacks a game.  Now if you want a center with post moves, no he isn't that.  But some of those D2 centers you and Mase are talking about don't have the quickness, speed or raw tools to use those skills at the D1 level.  1st year stats like that would put him on par with most centers including a very close comparable who lead his team soph year to the FF in Dieng.

I'm talking strictly offensive skills. A D2 center, who lets say scores 15ppg in D2, would score 5ppg in D1 too if given major minutes, but would be a huge liability on the court in all areas. Obekpa is an offensive liability but he makes up for it in other areas.

MCNPA

Come on.

I think Dieng is a bit better than Obekpa on offense.  I don't think anybody here's denigrating Obekpa's game because he's not coming here.  I think it's that people are seeing a lot more good footage of him watching those basketballdiary games.  I can tell you that I see a lot more of Felix too.  Nobody is saying anything different about Obekpa's Defensive prowess.  I just think people are seeing some of the lack of offense, hands and athleticism that many thought he had prior to seeing soo much of him. 

Rico Gathers committed to another school and under questionable circumstances.  Nobody on these boards ripping his game. Nobody ripping Kyle Anderson's game.  I think some of the criticism of Obekpa's game is on-point and not because we aren't going to land him.  Just more viewable footage and great quality footage nonetheless.

paultzman

Come on.

I think Dieng is a bit better than Obekpa on offense.  I don't think anybody here's denigrating Obekpa's game because he's not coming here.  I think it's that people are seeing a lot more good footage of him watching those basketballdiary games.  I can tell you that I see a lot more of Felix too.  Nobody is saying anything different about Obekpa's Defensive prowess.  I just think people are seeing some of the lack of offense, hands and athleticism that many thought he had prior to seeing soo much of him. 

Rico Gathers committed to another school and under questionable circumstances.  Nobody on these boards ripping his game. Nobody ripping Kyle Anderson's game.  I think some of the criticism of Obekpa's game is on-point and not because we aren't going to land him.  Just more viewable footage and great quality footage nonetheless.

Suspect if you saw Dieng in HS, you may see similar players. Wonder why UConn, Cinci, Oregon and Providence wanted to develop this Wabash, Transylvania, NYU level stiff?

Come on.

Not as tall, athletic and most importantly dont have an elite skill such as Opekba's shot blocking.
 Would I take him here? Yes. Would I take him over chandler or nolan? No.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

Come on.

Not as tall, athletic and most importantly dont have an elite skill such as Opekba's shot blocking.
 Would I take him here? Yes. Would I take him over chandler or nolan? No.

Who ever said take him over someone?

Moose

Come on.

Marcus

You have been around here long enough. This is par for the course. And ppl did then take shots at Kyle and Rico when they chose other schools. It's the nature of the beast. But when someone says a Top 100 player has a D2 or D3 offensive game it's downright irresponsible. I can think of some others players on this team with more question marks on offense. Are they D2 level too?

Come on.

Marcus

You have been around here long enough. This is par for the course. And ppl did then take shots at Kyle and Rico when they chose other schools. It's the nature of the beast. But when someone says a Top 100 player has a D2 or D3 offensive game it's downright irresponsible. I can think of some others players on this team with more question marks on offense. Are they D2 level too?

Stith was.

No one is saying Obekpa is a D2 player.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 06:43:38 PM by redstorm212 »

Happy

Come on.

Marcus

Stith was.

No one is saying Obekpa is a D2 player.

People just don't get the talent difference between levels.  Malik Stith is most definetly a division 1 basketball player.  Not a Big East player.. But he would be ok at the mid level. 

This may be a bad example, but look at Tim Tebow.

His arm is very below average, certainly not NFL caliber, but he makes up for it in other areas (mobility, toughness, leadership), which makes him serviceable. If he was not mobile, he would not be in the NFL, and most likely not a D1 college QB.

If Obekpa wasn't such a great defender, he's be looking for a D2 school or JUCO to play for.

Happy

This may be a bad example, but look at Tim Tebow.

His arm is very below average, certainly not NFL caliber, but he makes up for it in other areas (mobility, toughness, leadership), which makes him serviceable. If he was not mobile, he would not be in the NFL, and most likely not a D1 college QB.

If Obekpa wasn't such a great defender, he's be looking for a D2 school or JUCO to play for.

Absurd.. A typical center or forward in D2 is usually about 6'6. 

Marillac

I'm sorry but I'm going to say it.

If Obekpa was still a consideration these posts would be talking about him oozing potential.  Now all of a sudden he can't jump over the phone book, worst hands since Sean Evans and offensive liability.

LOL I hate when posters do that.  I think Obekpa is perfect for our zone defensively, I was just posting observations.  The kids vertical is not there (which is surprising) and he fumbles everything he touches.  I  don't want to play against the kid, because he has the capability to send back 10 shots--and with our experience with shot-blockers, he will. 

Moose

I'm sorry but I'm going to say it.

If Obekpa was still a consideration these posts would be talking about him oozing potential.  Now all of a sudden he can't jump over the phone book, worst hands since Sean Evans and offensive liability.

LOL I hate when posters do that.  I think Obekpa is perfect for our zone defensively, I was just posting observations.  The kids vertical is not there (which is surprising) and he fumbles everything he touches.  I  don't want to play against the kid, because he has the capability to send back 10 shots--and with our experience with shot-blockers, he will. 

But he's a D2 center so we won't see him, don't worry.
Coach Casey is gonna snatch him up.  Thats why he hasn't popped for Cincy or Oregon yet.