Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies

boo3

Cincy boards must be spinning

There was a time he was a Cincy lock. Something happened there that I don't know what (had nothing to do with other committments) I might be more surprised than anyone at how his recruitment has shook out. For basketball it makes a lot of sense in a lot of ways for both parties.

I'm still digging for more info but all good signs. I know that Zach and I have different sources.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

desco80

If this is true the staff has had a TREMENDOUS year recruiting.   

There were times in the late winter, early spring, when even the most confident fans would have had to admit the tide seemed to be going against us.   Decommitments, Lav's health, losing a few blowouts, talk of transfers,...     

To think that the staff has literally addressed every need we had.  Wow.   Doesn't guarantee a thing in the fall, but damn it will be nice to see us working with a full assortment of tools.   

One question though: Dave, you said Chris's recruitment wasn't affected by any other recruits, but does him signing close the door for Chandler?
Or is it presumed there's a scholarship waiting for him somehow if he's eligible?

Poison

Cinci fights a lot. That could have something to do with it. Just speculating.

goredmen

Huge get for the staff. imagine the press with all the guys that can jump out of the gym and CO chillin under the basket if the press gets beat. The next few years should be pretty fun

Where did all the Lavin/staff haters go?

Awful quiet from those clowns these days.

Where you at Shurina Cheese?  ;)
Don't believe there are any Lavin haters and if anyone is they are nuts. As for sCheese he is just an agitator who likes to get under people's skin and some of you fall for it every time. He does not believe what he posts.

There was a time he was a Cincy lock. Something happened there that I don't know what (had nothing to do with other committments) I might be more surprised than anyone at how his recruitment has shook out. For basketball it makes a lot of sense in a lot of ways for both parties.

I'm still digging for more info but all good signs. I know that Zach and I have different sources.

with this in mind, does anyone have any concern of us being the "back-up plan"?  is he truly going to be happy coming to sju?

paultzman

with this in mind, does anyone have any concern of us being the "back-up plan"?  is he truly going to be happy coming to sju?

Come on! Enjoy the fact we seem to be back in this. Geez!!

Poison

with this in mind, does anyone have any concern of us being the "back-up pl
an"?  is he truly going to be happy coming to sju?

No. No one should be concerned about that. We've recruited a dozen shot blockers over the last 25 years. How many of them were actually shot blockers? We, SJ, you, me, and every SJ fan has waited an eternity for a player who could change the game defensively. There is no reason to question his sincerity. It doesn't matter as long as he comes. This kid signs up, and the buzz is back at SJ. Immediately.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 11:07:43 PM by Poison »

Too bad he has Div 4 offensive skills.... ;D
In a week people are going to worry about him going pro in a year :)

boo3

Haha.  Exactly MJM

This is truly great news.  I know it is not set in stone till he signs, but it seems as though the information coming from a couple of sources seems honest.  I myself can not wait till the new season.  Now that the Rangers are out of playoffs, it is time to watch the yanks and as the season gets longer in baseball it just means shorter time till the Johnnies take the court again.

Happy

Not done yet

Tiznow

Lavin had him and Sampson as his top targets. 

It is a great fit for the player and the program. 

As a fan I sure hope it is true.

Mike

Wow you are so right!!!

desco80

Well Happy's ominous post has me a little worried. 

But assuming it happens, this has me pumped for next season.   I'm not expecting CO to do a lot.   But, it's exciting just to think about what Dunlap can do with a full stable of horses.   
I think we're finally going to consistently see that "baseline-to-baseline" attack that we've been hearing about and seeing glimpses of for 3 years. 

I just hope CO picks up the responsibilities of the zone quickly.  Everybody's talking about him anchoring the back line and swatting shots all over the gym - don't forget he's going to have to rotate to cover guys on the weak-side perimeter too.  He's going to have to have a steep learning curve if he's going to be effective his freshmen season.   

lihoop

"say hello to Chris" per the MC at IS8

Happy

But assuming it happens, this has me pumped for next season.   I'm not expecting CO to do a lot.   But, it's exciting just to think about what Dunlap can do with a full stable of horses.   
I think we're finally going to consistently see that "baseline-to-baseline" attack that we've been hearing about and seeing glimpses of for 3 years. 

I just hope CO picks up the responsibilities of the zone quickly.  Everybody's talking about him anchoring the back line and swatting shots all over the gym - don't forget he's going to have to rotate to cover guys on the weak-side perimeter too.  He's going to have to have a steep learning curve if he's going to be effective his freshmen season.

Nothing to be worried about . I just heard he hasn't decided yet.  The fact that Dave and others are saying we are back in it and possible leaders is a miracle considering how much of a cincy lean he was. .. Just hate seeing people go crazy when it's not a done deal.  Hopefully it does because it would be huge for us .  I'll be at is8 on Saturday hoping to see 2 ST john's recruits .. Not one :)

Nothing to be worried about . I just heard he hasn't decided yet.  The fact that Dave and others are saying we are back in it and possible leaders is a miracle considering how much of a cincy lean he was. .. Just hate seeing people go crazy when it's not a done deal.  Hopefully it does because it would be huge for us .  I'll be at is8 on Saturday hoping to see 2 ST john's recruits .. Not one :)
you going ? I'm gonna text u tomorrow. depending on the markets maybe i won't go in saturday and meet up with u instead

Happy

you going ? I'm gonna text u tomorrow. depending on the markets maybe i won't go in saturday and meet up with u instead

Sounds great. I'm definetly going to go.