Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies

desco80

I'm not sure I agree that we won't be involved with academic risks in future years.   Nor do I necessarily think that's a terrible thing, either.

Of course in years ahead we won't need to fill 5 or 6 slots in one class just to field a full team.  So that helps.
But I think coach Lavin and his staff have shown they want to bring in the very best talent possible.  And they've shown a willingness to work with guys who have potential eligibility issues, as well as make their own judgments on guys who may have a certain reputation or history. 

I don't think either one of those things is a bad concept.   Look at everything together;  then make a decision.  I think they'll continue to do that, and in some cases it may mean taking a chance on a player that has a big upside, or who the staff feels we really need.   

Lavin has given me no indication that he's going to play it safe in the recruiting game.  Clearly he could sign marginable players from the local area, but he hasn't.   If we're taking risks on top 100 talent now, I think that just means in 2 years we'll be taking risks on top 15 talent (whom other programs may shy away from). 

Just my two cents, but I can't see Lav wanting to play it safe.  He'll always reach for the next rung on the ladder. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 03:26:20 PM by desco80 »

Moose

I'm not sure I agree that we won't be involved with academic risks in future years.   Nor do I necessarily think that's a terrible thing, either.

Of course in years ahead we won't need to fill 5 or 6 slots in one class just to field a full team.  So that helps.
But I think coach Lavin and his staff have shown they want to bring in the very best talent possible.  And they've shown a willingness to work with guys who have potential eligibility issues, as well as make their own judgments on guys who may have a certain reputation or history. 

I don't think either one of those things is a bad concept.   Look at everything together;  then make a decision.  I think they'll continue to do that, and in some cases it may mean taking a chance on a player that has a big upside, or who the staff feels we really need.   

Lavin has given me no indication that he's going to play it safe in the recruiting game.  Clearly he could sign marginable players from the local area, but he hasn't.   If we're taking risks on top 100 talent now, I think that just means in 2 years we'll be taking risks on top 15 talent (whom other programs may shy away from). 

Just my two cents, but I can't see Lav wanting to play it safe.  He'll always reach for the next rung on the ladder. 

The overlying issue is the academic risk won't be 'needed desperately' like it is in this case, a big man.

If the top NYC player in 2015 is academic question mark, yes he will go after if he thinks he can make it work.  But we won't be on pins and needles needing him.

Makes sense?
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

The overlying issue is the academic risk won't be 'needed desperately' like it is in this case, a big man.

If the top NYC player in 2015 is academic question mark, yes he will go after if he thinks he can make it work.  But we won't be on pins and needles needing him.

Makes sense?

Yea absolutely.   It changes the balance when you don't "need" that player.
I was just saying that coach is still going to push the envelope if he feels the player is worth it.   And you gave a perfect example of it.

Can't wait to get this recruiting class over with.   I get that recruiting is always tumultuous, but the last year has been a little ridiculous for St Johns fans. 
Looking forward to the stability of only needing one or two recruits. 

We're there now- (needing only 2 recruits)

If no one else signs the next 2 months we only have 3
scholarships for 2013, and Wood has verballed one of them.

I feel much more comfortable than 13 months ago re: roster & recruiting

Molloy '71

If everyone signed up stays healthy, and there are no other issues, it seems that we'll have 3 players to rotate between the 4 and 5 spots (Gift, Sanchez, and Sampson).  That is one more than last year, and my understanding is that Jakar is more of a "4" than Mo was.  So we should be okay in that regard, although I do get why some on this board are antsy about the lack of size under that scenario.  Adding a good 4th option at those spots (like Obekpa) would I think easy pretty much everyone's concerns.  And after that it is gravy. (i.e., Chandler).

gman

Wish the staff would stop putting themselves in this situation. I guess it comes with the territory working with teenagers but plenty of other kids manage to qualify.

If you didn't think this was a possible outcome than your naive.  There was a reason he came out of nowhere.  It was a shot in the dark.  If it worked out hell of coup, if not you move on.  You know 2012 was a different type of year for us.  Going forward I don't see us down this path.

I knew it was a very real possibility.  But this class also has another risk in woods. Would just love to hear Sju involved with kids that are fully qualified way in advance.

Moose

Wish the staff would stop putting themselves in this situation. I guess it comes with the territory working with teenagers but plenty of other kids manage to qualify.

If you didn't think this was a possible outcome than your naive.  There was a reason he came out of nowhere.  It was a shot in the dark.  If it worked out hell of coup, if not you move on.  You know 2012 was a different type of year for us.  Going forward I don't see us down this path.

I knew it was a very real possibility.  But this class also has another risk in woods. Would just love to hear Sju involved with kids that are fully qualified way in advance.

So Wood doesn't make it.  He wasn't seeing PT with Harrison here.  Let him straighten his grades out and we have a replacement for Dee and 2 yrs behind.  I don't know why its such a concern.  Like someone pointed out.  Would you rather get safe options just to have warm bodies?

Was never expecting Chandler to end up here in the first place. If we grab Obekpa then we'll be good for next year size wise

The highly sought-after shot-blocker, who has received offers from Cincinnati, St. John's, Providence, DePaul, Connecticut, Georgia Tech, Memphis, Oregon and West Virginia, narrowed his choices down to two schools.

"I just like St. John's and Cincinnati," said Obekpa to RedStormReport.com.

Of Cincinnati and St. John's, Obekpa said that the rapid up-and-down style of play that characterizes both teams caught his attention.

"[Cincinnati] run and they play together. They went far last year," said Obekpa. "[St. John's] runs and they're [local], so I'm used to them."

"I like the place. I'm just seeing what is best for me," said Obekpa of St. John's. "It's close to home."

"I want to be close to home," Obekpa later added.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1373001

Hope he decides to stay home and room with his HS friend

derk

The highly sought-after shot-blocker, who has received offers from Cincinnati, St. John's, Providence, DePaul, Connecticut, Georgia Tech, Memphis, Oregon and West Virginia, narrowed his choices down to two schools.

Of Cincinnati and St. John's, Obekpa said that the rapid up-and-down style of play that characterizes both teams caught his attention.

"[Cincinnati] run and they play together. They went far last year," said Obekpa. "[St. John's] runs and they're [local], so I'm used to them."

"I like the place. I'm just seeing what is best for me," said Obekpa of St. John's. "It's close to home."

Ok, somebody, quick, show this kid a map so we can get on with this nonsense. And BTW, wake me up when this kid attends his first class in Jamaica. Thank you.

desco80

Zags doesn't include this quote, but the rivals interview also had this delightful nugget..

[Obekpa says that he will make his collegiate decision "maybe by the end of this month."]

:tickedoff:

derk

I'll rely on Lavs to make this call, but I can't shake the feeling this kid is beginning to fall into the more trouble then he's worth category.

sju89tr

The fact that he mentioned several times that being close to home was probably the most important thing as it turned out in terms of recruiting, The kid has already been uprooted from his country and will most likely be more comfortable at St Johns with Felix. We also can offer him 20 minutes a game from Day 1.

DFF6

I'll rely on Lavs to make this call, but I can't shake the feeling this kid is beginning to fall into the more trouble then he's worth category.

IMO, the only way Obekpa is more trouble than he's worth is if he doesn't come here.  The guy is the best available big on the board (assuming Chandler is out this year), he's a game changer on defense and he fills a big need for us.  I don't know him personally (who on these boards does?), but unless Obekpa pulls a Nuri after he commits, I can't understand why the staff shouldn't expend all available resources to land this kid.

paultzman

IMO, the only way Obekpa is more trouble than he's worth is if he doesn't come here.  The guy is the best available big on the board (assuming Chandler is out this year), he's a game changer on defense and he fills a big need for us.  I don't know him personally (who on these boards does?), but unless Obekpa pulls a Nuri after he commits, I can't understand why the staff shouldn't expend all available resources to land this kid.

Exactly!

Moose

The kid loves AAU ball.  And honestly he needs to play to continue to get better and improve that D2 offensive game  :2funny:

But seriously I'm sure he wants to run the rest of the month in AAU, then pop, and be showing up to a campus in July to start with his new team.

paultzman

With all the analysis about Chris' weaknesses, I have great confidence if he joins us that;

A. Staff will develop his offensive game to be quite adequate, like the current Louisville center.
B. Chris will learn to rebound well and key fast breaks by year two. He will be coached to realize that trying to block everything, at expense of rebounding, is not necessary.
C. He will bring the best blocking skills for SJU that I can remember and allow our athletic wings and guards to cheat a bit and get the running game going.
D. With weight training, he will be around 230 pounds by second year and really become a physical presence.

This development IMO will be a key part of SJU being in the hunt for NCAA success.
Nitpick away!!!!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:22:33 PM by paultzman »

um what?

SMU coach Larry Brown is also in touch with Chris Obekpa and they are trying to get him on a visit, sources told @SNYtv

paultzman

“@AdamZagoria: SMU coach Larry Brown is also in touch with Chris Obekpa and they are trying to get him on a visit, sources told @SNYtv”

SMU is certainly aggressive. Who knows, but I doubt Chris will visit.