Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies
“@AdamZagoria: SMU coach Larry Brown is also in touch with Chris Obekpa and they are trying to get him on a visit, sources told @SNYtv”

SMU is certainly aggressive. Who knows, but I doubt Chris will visit.

Probably took a look at Savon Goodman's transcripts.... ;D ;D

derk

The highly sought-after shot-blocker, who has received offers from Cincinnati, St. John's, Providence, DePaul, Connecticut, Georgia Tech, Memphis, Oregon and West Virginia, narrowed his choices down to two schools.

"I just like St. John's and Cincinnati," said Obekpa to RedStormReport.com.

Of Cincinnati and St. John's, Obekpa said that the rapid up-and-down style of play that characterizes both teams caught his attention.

"[Cincinnati] run and they play together. They went far last year," said Obekpa. "[St. John's] runs and they're [local], so I'm used to them."

"I like the place. I'm just seeing what is best for me," said Obekpa of St. John's. "It's close to home."

"I want to be close to home," Obekpa later added.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1373001

The fact that he mentioned several times that being close to home was probably the most important thing as it turned out in terms of recruiting, The kid has already been uprooted from his country and will most likely be more comfortable at St Johns with Felix. We also can offer him 20 minutes a game from Day 1.

Not talking about his talent at all. All the reasons you listed about his picking us were in place 2 months ago. The clincher, one would think, should've been the signing of Balamou, even though it appears the staff liked Balamou even without CO.

At what point does a kids "antics" become a preview of what you can expect to see from him once he commits. And yes I am concerned that he could become a " Nuri" type distraction. As I said I'll leave it to Lavs and staff to make that call but the longer this goes on, the less confident I am of this turning into a productive ship for us.

Happy

The highly sought-after shot-blocker, who has received offers from Cincinnati, St. John's, Providence, DePaul, Connecticut, Georgia Tech, Memphis, Oregon and West Virginia, narrowed his choices down to two schools.

"I just like St. John's and Cincinnati," said Obekpa to RedStormReport.com.

Of Cincinnati and St. John's, Obekpa said that the rapid up-and-down style of play that characterizes both teams caught his attention.

"[Cincinnati] run and they play together. They went far last year," said Obekpa. "[St. John's] runs and they're [local], so I'm used to them."

"I like the place. I'm just seeing what is best for me," said Obekpa of St. John's. "It's close to home."

"I want to be close to home," Obekpa later added.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1373001

The fact that he mentioned several times that being close to home was probably the most important thing as it turned out in terms of recruiting, The kid has already been uprooted from his country and will most likely be more comfortable at St Johns with Felix. We also can offer him 20 minutes a game from Day 1.

Not talking about his talent at all. All the reasons you listed about his picking us were in place 2 months ago. The clincher, one would think, should've been the signing of Balamou, even though it appears the staff liked Balamou even without CO.

At what point does a kids "antics" become a preview of what you can expect to see from him once he commits. And yes I am concerned that he could become a " Nuri" type distraction. As I said I'll leave it to Lavs and staff to make that call but the longer this goes on, the less confident I am of this turning into a productive ship for us.

What antics?

I dont see any antics at all.
Some kids decide in Junior year- some take all of senior year.

He hasnt verballed to anyone & changed.
Actually pretty smart for a kid to wait till spring to see coach movements
 minutes avail etc.   His taking time just might limit his choices avail,
but there to seem to be many suitors for his services
Molloy '71

ras

Maybe he is concerned about PT and thaught his PT would be limited if we signed Chandler.  Maybe he is waiting to see how the MC situation turns out .,which is not looking good ,hence ,the increased interest on Chris' part

derk

Newsflash, Lavin and Cronin are not going anywhere. Not to mention Larry Brown or any other school that pops up. And while he hasn't verballed to anyone, there has been enough shifting of favorites to cause one's head to spin. I still haven't heard an acceptable reason as to why this kid hasn't committed, or at least told us what the hangup is. Still waiting for a miracle ship from Calipari ? Tell's me the kid is either very confused or being steered behind the scene by people who could be a pain in the ass to deal with for the "winning" school.

As I've said I still trust Lavs and staff to make the right call. But the longer this non committment goes on , the more leary I feel about this kid. Tell me there's one of you who feel different.

paultzman

Newsflash, Lavin and Cronin are not going anywhere. Not to mention Larry Brown or any other school that pops up. And while he hasn't verballed to anyone, there has been enough shifting of favorites to cause one's head to spin. I still haven't heard an acceptable reason as to why this kid hasn't committed, or at least told us what the hangup is. Still waiting for a miracle ship from Calipari ? Tell's me the kid is either very confused or being steered behind the scene by people who could be a pain in the ass to deal with for the "winning" school.

As I've said I still trust Lavs and staff to make the right call. But the longer this non committment goes on , the more leary I feel about this kid. Tell me there's one of you who feel different.

I am telling you!!! Enough please! The horse is more than dead! If you trust staff, let it play out.

Im sick of reading about this dude, shat or get off the pot already.

derk

I am telling you!!! Enough please! The horse is more than dead! If you trust staff, let it play out.

Ok let it play out. Lock this thread and start a new one that you can title " Opekpa commits !

paultzman

Ok let it play out. Lock this thread and start a new one that you can title " Opekpa commits !

Or Obekpa commits!

Just make sure the name is spelled correctly

derk

Or Obekpa commits!

Him too !

redslope

probably the most sensible thing on the board for the last 25 pages

MCNPA

I'm tired of reading about Iona recruits.  We're still getting updates on Prandon Parga for some reason... :down:

paultzman

I'm tired of reading about Iona recruits.  We're still getting updates on Prandon Parga for some reason... :down:

Or his brother Brandon. Only kidding MC!

Youre right and I stated in my post with "for those who have seen Parga". SOme posters like local teams despite their dislike for me and I asked for their input and I appreciate it. But I will take my own advice, If I dont want to read a thread, dont click on it

Just a footnote to the details provided by Theo and queensfinest about the IS8 games. The O man keeps an eye on whoever has the ball to see if they're going to the basket and then takes the best possible angle to intercept him and make the block with uncanny timing. My point being it's a process reminiscent of Charles Oakley taking just the right angle to snare a rebound.

The most memorable moments of the day? Dickerson's emphatic dunks over Obekpa. However, JD disappeared for extended periods of time.

The most impressive sustained perfomance of the day? Chris Obekpa in the semifinals. He is a phenomenon who alters the offensive attack.

Just a footnote to the details provided by Theo and queensfinest about the IS8 games. The O man keeps an eye on whoever has the ball to see if they're going to the basket and then takes the best possible angle to intercept him and make the block with uncanny timing. My point being it's a process reminiscent of Charles Oakley taking just the right angle to snare a rebound.

The most memorable moments of the day? Dickerson's emphatic dunks over Obekpa. However, JD disappeared for extended periods of time.

The most impressive sustained perfomance of the day? Chris Obekpa in the semifinals. He is a phenomenon who alters the offensive attack.

qcredman, great to hear from you- been a long time . Sounds like you want Obekpa

qcredman, great to hear from you- been a long time . Sounds like you want Obekpa

Thanks Marco. Always enjoy the irony and impersonal sarcasm of your posts.

Oh yea, he is going to make the opposition think twice about going to the basket and will be exactly what they called him at IS8 - The Game Changer.

I call him the O man because when I first saw a series of Obekpa dunks all I kept saying was "Oh man!"

Zags doesn't include this quote, but the rivals interview also had this delightful nugget..

[Obekpa says that he will make his collegiate decision "maybe by the end of this month."]

:tickedoff:
What's the hurry? :)