Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies

paultzman

Well that announcement happened a little quicker than I thought. Twitter was some serious real time updates today.

But you broke it first last week Dave!

Chilleb

Guys, our performance on the court this upcoming season will bring in the gems in 2013 let's not get worked up just yet. After a return to the tourney next season we'll be back in business. New all along he wasnt gonna be leaving his buddy Felix . Let's go johnnies !!

Actually I want the centerpiece of our 13 class wrapped by the early signing period which would be before we played any games.

Here's to hoping that's the case.
C'mon moose only for him to decommit by mid season. These kids have no idea what they want these days and and change there minds daily

boo3

from BearcatMick:

Horrible decision. Lavin is as crooked as they come. Oh well, he probably wasn't good enough for uc anyways with the talent we have

Enjoy playing on a sub .500 team next year Chris! Hopefully lavin paid for your cable so you can watch us in the final four

^^  sore head!! 

goredmen

from BearcatMick:

Horrible decision. Lavin is as crooked as they come. Oh well, he probably wasn't good enough for uc anyways with the talent we have

Enjoy playing on a sub .500 team next year Chris! Hopefully lavin paid for your cable so you can watch us in the final four

^^  sore head!!

A Cincinnati fan calling another coach/program crooked? now thats funny

Moose

Guys, our performance on the court this upcoming season will bring in the gems in 2013 let's not get worked up just yet. After a return to the tourney next season we'll be back in business. New all along he wasnt gonna be leaving his buddy Felix . Let's go johnnies !!

Actually I want the centerpiece of our 13 class wrapped by the early signing period which would be before we played any games.

C'mon moose only for him to decommit by mid season. These kids have no idea what they want these days and and change there minds daily

Most kids actually sign an LOI.  Its upwards of 80% of the Top 100 or so I've seen each year wrap it up early.  Again this is my hope.  We don't have an abundance of ships.  I hope we can trail our target all summer.  Have him on campus to scrimmage with the boys unofficially.  And finally get ahead of pace like other big time schools who seem to always be a class ahead.
Remember who broke the Slice news

“@SammyAlbano: Opeka can't sign LOI but is signing an institutional letter & on campus as we tweet! Very talente Johnny frosh class!”

what is the difference between LOI and institutional letter??  Thanks in advance

He signs scholarship papers guaranteeing him a schollie at SJU.  But technically he is not bound to SJU as he would be with an NLI, thus if he wanted to change his mind and go elsewhere he could without needing permission from SJU for a release.  He's a Johnny either way.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 04:42:36 PM by fordham96 »

Chilleb

Most kids actually sign an LOI.  Its upwards of 80% of the Top 100 or so I've seen each year wrap it up early.  Again this is my hope.  We don't have an abundance of ships.  I hope we can trail our target all summer.  Have him on campus to scrimmage with the boys unofficially.  And finally get ahead of pace like other big time schools who seem to always be a class ahead.
In a perfect world I'm 100% in agreement but the way things have been going Its wishful thinking . Besides has Lawrence even began making visits yet? You would think somehow chandler and wood are still in the fold. So our 13' class may be 50% solidified already.

Moose

In a perfect world I'm 100% in agreement but the way things have been going Its wishful thinking . Besides has Lawrence even began making visits yet? You would think somehow chandler and wood are still in the fold. So our 13' class may be 50% solidified already.

Pretty sure Chandler wouldn't be a target because this is his prep year.  Wouldn't he have to JUCO or something next year?  I thought only those who qualified out of HS but elected JUCO were eligible to leave JUCO after 1 year.  Agree about Wood.  Remember in 2011 we had 7 of the 9 locked up in November before Lavin even coached a regular season game.

paultzman

+1

Poison

Maven confirms fwiw

“@SammyAlbano: Done Deal! Opeka 2 SJU!”

Confirms. Seriously?

Great news! Welcome Chris!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 05:32:18 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

Maven confirms fwiw

“@SammyAlbano: Done Deal! Opeka 2 SJU!”

Confirms. Seriously?

Should have just noted his tweet. Sorry!

Poison

Congrats Dave. This is already a terrific robust fan site. It becomes something more when you can deliver accurate recruiting info like you did two weeks ago regarding Obekpa.

Congratulations are due to Steve Lavin and his staff, and right here at JJ.

MCNPA

Way to call it Dave.  Huge recruit for us.   Our first shotblocker at SJU since before I can remember. 

Moose

Congrats Dave. This is already a terrific robust fan site. It becomes something more when you can deliver accurate recruiting info like you did two weeks ago regarding Obekpa.

Congratulations are due to Steve Lavin and his staff, and right here at JJ.

Nice subtle shot. Ha

paultzman

A rational reaction by a Cinci supporter;
“@FrontOfficeNews: “@Bearcats_Nation Chris Obekpa Picks St. John's: We Can All Finally Move on with Our Lives http://t.co/Ky3nKCnb #cincinnati #bearcats””

So much Dave in Jon Rothstein :)

One could read that two ways---not that there's anything wrong with that!

Chilleb

Pretty sure Chandler wouldn't be a target because this is his prep year.  Wouldn't he have to JUCO or something next year?  I thought only those who qualified out of HS but elected JUCO were eligible to leave JUCO after 1 year.  Agree about Wood.  Remember in 2011 we had 7 of the 9 locked up in November before Lavin even coached a regular season game.
lets not speak to quick next thing you know chandler's ruled eligible next week or something lol. good ol' lavin. but yeah i definately agree with that , but this is a business of trends. whats hot now, whos hot now. the coachng change and imminent tourney appearance created a substantial amount of buzz, enough buzz and momentum to land 7 early ones (although we know how that story ended in a 13 win season) but with the signing of obekpa and maybe even a bolt up the recrutment rankings into the top 20  will create enough momentum maybe to get some more of the upper echelon recruits to really consider us consistently. but this is where i was eluding that on court performance will be the catalyst for that wishful thinking to become fact. we've definately gained some recrutiment momentum with chris but lets play a game first and give these guys a visual.

Now I know why I try to check this site at least once a day. Great job coach Lavin and staff. Great day for Johnnie Nation. Happy for all fellow Redmen fans. We can all finally exhale and look forward to the 2013 recruiting season (unless the magician Lavs has anything else up his sleeve).  :) :) :)).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 05:03:28 PM by Celtics11 »

MCNPA

from BearcatMick:

^^  sore head!!

Lol, we have more talent now than they do.  We split with them last year.  This Bearcat fan doesn't know that this is no longer last year's six man team.  We're going about 8-deep with top 70 players.  The rest are JC AA's.  Lavin has really leveraged the package-deals better than I could have imagined.  Kudos to the job he's done.  We are a contender to do big things this year.