Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cincinnati Transfer - Bayside, NY

• 1791 replies

gman

Re: Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cardozo HS - Bayside, NY - CINCINNATI
« Reply #1260 on: February 04, 2013, 09:57:36 AM »
What I don't get is lavin recruited this kid for however long and all of a sudden something pops up he didn't like and walked away.  What changed? Sounds like lavs wasted a lot of his time that could have gone into another recruit.

« Reply #1261 on: February 04, 2013, 09:57:59 AM »
Yesterday was the first time I heard the name Alexes Hargrove, so I Google her.  Seems  she was doing a documentary on Naclerio. 

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/high_school/basketball/reality_ron_sny_set_coach_televise_AgSIapvm7egkYzl8IENPTN

I'm guessing that's how she hooked up with Jermaine and his family.  I'm also surmising, from what I'm reading, that she steered Jermaine to Pope John in NJ, as well as to Cinci.  Now it seems that, as far as the handler, it was a done deal.  Just had to convince the kid and his family that she knows what's best for Jermaine.

From the NY Post:

Alexes Hargrove, a friend of the family helping in Lawrence's recruitment, said he will cut his list to five at some point in August. Lawrence said he has no favorites, but Cincinnati assistant Darren Savino has made a major push.

"Darren has been at every game, almost everywhere Jermaine has been," Hargrove said. "Either him or [head coach] Mick Cronin show up to support Jermaine."

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/high_school/basketball/lawrence_meteoric_rise_continued_CcnnZSTbdBSrpSHbcH7EWL

Oh well.  Seems that a filmmaker and "Hollywood" Lavin would have been a perfect fit.  :)

« Reply #1262 on: February 04, 2013, 10:01:37 AM »
It's time to let go of Norm, and Maven's info is wrong.
Not that I ever have any inside info myself anymore but from reading all the St. John's boards for years, the so called Maven has been wrongo many, many times.

now you know the maven!

please...no sour grapes.  this is a big loss.

i like lavin's track record.  we'll live.

« Reply #1263 on: February 04, 2013, 10:34:37 AM »
You guys aren't understanding. Lavin will not chase a recruit plain and simple. Get down or lay down-KOB

I don't really get involved in commenting on recruiting for the simple reason that I do not follow HS basketball. I do have a question though. Some of you are applauding coach for not "chasing" recruits. Now I do not have a problem with that either, but didn't some of you kill Jarvis for same approach? What is the difference?

Jarvis sat idle and expected recruits to come to him. Lavin is more calculated in his approach of targeting recruits.

-If Lav has no shot at a recruit he's not going to go after him
-If a recruit becomes to high maintenance he's distancing himself
-If a recruit has too many outside influences that become problematic he's distancing himself

Lawrence handler had a lot of demands. I don't want to say too much but one example is his handler is already fishing for TV deals for a reality show on Jermaine going to the draft. Ironically Cincy has some experience with this kind of thing.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

« Reply #1264 on: February 04, 2013, 10:38:56 AM »
You guys aren't understanding. Lavin will not chase a recruit plain and simple. Get down or lay down-KOB

I don't really get involved in commenting on recruiting for the simple reason that I do not follow HS basketball. I do have a question though. Some of you are applauding coach for not "chasing" recruits. Now I do not have a problem with that either, but didn't some of you kill Jarvis for same approach? What is the difference?

Jarvis sat idle and expected recruits to come to him. Lavin is more calculated in his approach of targeting recruits.

-If Lav has no shot at a recruit he's not going to go after him
-If a recruit has too many outside influences that become problematic he's distancing himself

Lawrence handler had a lot of demands. I don't want to say too much but one example is his handler is already fishing for TV deals for a reality show on Jermaine going to the draft. Ironically Cincy has some experience with this kind of thing.

Lance
Remember who broke the Slice news

SJU79

« Reply #1265 on: February 04, 2013, 10:46:54 AM »
Yes I was wrong but man a lot of posters here have some really ggod insight as to what occured and how it went down. I am sorry for getting your hopes up and feeding what turned out to be bad info. Yes I was going to name Alexes Hargrove as the handler by name but its already out there. Also as I have posted previously me and Mr Zagoria have had differences before but on this one hes dead on. This women munipulated this kid beyond belief...Cinci is a good program and in my limited exposure to their staff they are good accoutable men but this kid and his family wanted SJU. As for LAvin backing away the last few weeks as some posters have mentioned I didnt know that but im sure they are right, again my bad. This is a really bad situation and a really bad indication of whats going on out there with these kids and at times in the past ive been as quilty as anyone but this one and this women ia one for the record books. Lav iand Tony are good men and like Dave said know the reality of recruiting and I can tell you they are working as hard as anybody.....Again sorry, no excuses but when a family memeber tells me SJU I believed her...more will come out about her in the coming weeks.....

Moose

« Reply #1266 on: February 04, 2013, 10:48:20 AM »
Yes I was wrong but man a lot of posters here have some really ggod insight as to what occured and how it went down. I am sorry for getting your hopes up and feeding what turned out to be bad info. Yes I was going to name Alexes Hargrove as the handler by name but its already out there. Also as I have posted previously me and Mr Zagoria have had differences before but on this one hes dead on. This women munipulated this kid beyond belief...Cinci is a good program and in my limited exposure to their staff they are good accoutable men but this kid and his family wanted SJU. As for LAvin backing away the last few weeks as some posters have mentioned I didnt know that but im sure they are right, again my bad. This is a really bad situation and a really bad indication of whats going on out there with these kids and at times in the past ive been as quilty as anyone but this one and this women ia one for the record books. Lav iand Tony are good men and like Dave said know the reality of recruiting and I can tell you they are working as hard as anybody.....Again sorry, no excuses but when a family memeber tells me SJU I believed her...more will come out about her in the coming weeks.....

All good 79.  I think a lot of the in the know posters hoped and felt family would win out.

Any idea of Plan B's?

paultzman

« Reply #1267 on: February 04, 2013, 10:59:17 AM »

Hey 79, thanks for all your past info. I value your insight. No sweat on this fiasco! This is one for the ages.

« Reply #1268 on: February 04, 2013, 10:59:59 AM »
the name of Hargrove's production company is Tenth & Fifth Films.  All her projects are basketball related.

https://twitter.com/10thn5thFilms

http://vimeo.com/tnffs

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5006708

ras

« Reply #1269 on: February 04, 2013, 11:01:16 AM »
Thanks for the info.

desco80

Re: Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cardozo HS - Bayside, NY
« Reply #1270 on: February 04, 2013, 11:16:25 AM »
The loss of first Wainwright and now Lawrence is troubling, especially with both committing elsewhere before visiting. Sure. However, it sounds like we've been spoiled. We were down to the wire with a top 20 recruit who we had no business talking to before Lavin came in. We are by no means a perennial tournament team YET. Lavin's brought us this far with recruiting, I trust he has a lot left in the tank. We take the loss and move on.

I didn't mind too much Wainright committing else where. It is more striking out on the two local kids (McCollough and Lawrence). It also doesn't appear we have a legitimate back-up plan.

It is one thing to strike out with this class, but we can't afford to also strike out with the 2014 class.

Your right.  Never would have thought we missed on both Jermaine and Chris.

Exactly, I was a lot less concerned about signing Jermaine 6 months ago when I thought we had a bigger better version of him in our back pocket, set to come a year later. 

desco80

« Reply #1271 on: February 04, 2013, 11:38:36 AM »
I'm sorry poison I disagree I don't think he is a big loss. I could be wrong but I doubt it

You don't have to get every NYC high school star, but you need to get your share. Don't get me wrong, I think 99% of these NYC are entitled overrated punks, not all of them. When you focus on a Queens kid, and he bolts for Cincinnati, you have either dropped the ball recruiting, or someone(s) is cheating.

For Cincinnati to land any coveted New Yorker, something fishy must be going on.

Jermaine probably thinks he's one and done material, and he might be.   
It looks like we'll have returning; a potential 1st/2nd team all conference forward in Jakarr who scored 15ppg as a frosh, a vastly improved Dom Pointer, and an experienced role player in Garrett.  Plus, Obekpa who's a qausi- power forward.    And, assuming nothing ridiculous happens, we'll have a junior shooting guard who avgs 20ppg, and takes 15+ shots a night.

At forward Cincy returns Rubles and Justin Jackson who are 5pt/5reb guys, and Shaq Thomas who barely plays.   
Plus their 2nd and 3rd leading scorers Cashmere Wright and Parker are set to graduate.   And, it's not out of the question Kilpatrick goes into the draf this year..

It's not ridiculous to think Jermaine gets more touches and to showcase himself more at Cincinnatti next year.    Would he play meaningful minutes for us?  Of course.    But there are only so many shots and minutes to go around.   Moe and Jakarr both came here and got all the minutes and shots they could handle... and it helped them look like studs.   JL probably wants to do the same. 

derk

« Reply #1272 on: February 04, 2013, 11:54:36 AM »
I'm sorry poison I disagree I don't think he is a big loss. I could be wrong but I doubt it

You don't have to get every NYC high school star, but you need to get your share. Don't get me wrong, I think 99% of these NYC are entitled overrated punks, not all of them. When you focus on a Queens kid, and he bolts for Cincinnati, you have either dropped the ball recruiting, or someone(s) is cheating.

For Cincinnati to land any coveted New Yorker, something fishy must be going on.

It looks like we'll have returning; a potential 1st/2nd team all conference forward in Jakarr who scored 15ppg as a frosh, a vastly improved Dom Pointer, and an experienced role player in Garrett.  Plus, Obekpa who's a qausi- power forward.    And, assuming nothing ridiculous happens, we'll have a junior shooting guard who avgs 20ppg, and takes 15+ shots a night.

At forward Cincy returns Rubles and Justin Jackson who are 5pt/5reb guys, and Shaq Thomas who barely plays.   
Plus their 2nd and 3rd leading scorers Cashmere Wright and Parker are set to graduate.   And, it's not out of the question Kilpatrick goes into the draf this year..

It's not ridiculous to think Jermaine gets more touches and to showcase himself more at Cincinnatti next year.    Would he play meaningful minutes for us?  Of course.    But there are only so many shots and minutes to go around.   Moe and Jakarr both came here and got all the minutes and shots they could handle... and it helped them look like studs.   JL probably wants to do the same.

JL and family are definitely looking at one and done. While he would have plenty of starters minutes with us, it's very possible he'd be 2nd or 3rd option at best.

Also, doesn't the Cincy arena have the same name as that film company.[/

pmg911

« Reply #1273 on: February 04, 2013, 12:10:03 PM »

These things are just not true....

We recruited kids out of Brewster, QEI & OSNA - there are not three programs inthe country that come with more "outsides influences" to deal with. The coaches there practically hold the kids transcripts hostage and if you want a kid from their school, you MUST deal with them.

Obekpa & Sampson were as high maintenance recruits as there were, we wanted them badly so the program dealt with them.

Coach Lavin will deal with what he feels ok dealing with. Sadly today, too many of these kids come with BS surrounding them and its gotten out of control.

redslope

« Reply #1274 on: February 04, 2013, 12:11:53 PM »

I agree with your assessment on PT.  The handler as a documentary maker was probably looking for a "guaranteed" one and done situation as that makes for a better documentary that someone getting 10/15 minutes per game as a frosh playing behind an experienced Jakarr and Chris and Gift and, who knows, Orlando.

Even as a parent who was looking for the kid to get to the next level ASAP, I would have considered the PT available at Cin to be easier to come by rather than think long term.

« Reply #1275 on: February 04, 2013, 12:57:03 PM »
The biggest blow about losing Jermain is his height. 7 more inches on the back line is a big deal. Now we have to hope that both Jakarr and Chris come back 10 pounds stronger next year and can man the 4-5 for 30 minutes a piece. Dom continues to improve and Amir can refine his game so he can play more 3.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #1277 on: February 04, 2013, 01:38:18 PM »
Old Alex Evans and

In recent years, Scigliano has developed content and a creative model for several shows and events including the award winning Red Storm Report, EBC Live at Rucker Park, Inside The Big East, and Stomping on the Yard. He has also directed Streetball: The And 1 Mixtape Tour, which was broadcast on ESPN for eight years.

Animosity for SJU anyone?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 01:41:27 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #1278 on: February 04, 2013, 01:41:08 PM »
Yeah, I saw that lawsuit thing too.  I don't know how it is relevent to basketball.  That's just a natural part of doing business.

Moose

« Reply #1279 on: February 04, 2013, 01:42:59 PM »
Yeah, I saw that lawsuit thing too.  I don't know how it is relevent to basketball.  That's just a natural part of doing business.

Well Alex Evans used to work at STJ

And Adam used to be a team manager at STJ under Jarvis.