Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S

• 2186 replies

Poison

Re: Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #1560 on: April 09, 2013, 10:51:46 AM »
hopefully with this depth and Jordan on board, we can run the press all / most of the game - take some pointers from VCU and Shaka

I hope so

Marillac

« Reply #1561 on: April 09, 2013, 11:11:27 AM »
hopefully with this depth and Jordan on board, we can run the press all / most of the game - take some pointers from VCU and Shaka

Amen.  This was the thing that bothered me the most this year.  We have so many long athletes...probably the most athletic team in the country...but we gave a half-assed press.  I really liked what I saw the last few games in terms of pressure.  No excuse to not press most of the game with another athlete like Sheed who has skill to do some damage in the open court. 

I think a combined extra 40-50 pounds of muscle on these boys will really help things out in that department. 

ras

« Reply #1562 on: April 09, 2013, 11:11:53 AM »

I was told again today that Gift is the guy who may choose to go elsewhere.  Staff wants him back.   

I, too, heard again that Gift is going to Harvard.  I would love to have him back but if he has that option, I wish him the best.
I would like to see Gift back. If he transfers his redshirting will turn out to be a real fiasco. We could have used him this year. Regardless, I am excited about next year.

« Reply #1563 on: April 09, 2013, 11:13:39 AM »
Russ Smith and Dieng are better examples of guys who seemed to improve by leaps and bounds over the years with Pitino and Co.  I don't know where Dieng was ranked coming out of high school, but he was extremely raw as a frosh and now has become a well-rounded player who can not only block shots/defend, but also shoot and pass the ball.  I'm pretty sure saw I saw on a prior thread that Smith wasn't by any means a stud recruit either, and he ended up being the best player on the national championship team (although he didn't play well last night, and they were a team that won through contributions from several really good/solid players, as opposed to any one star). 

desco80

« Reply #1564 on: April 09, 2013, 11:48:38 AM »

I was told again today that Gift is the guy who may choose to go elsewhere.  Staff wants him back.   

I, too, heard again that Gift is going to Harvard.  I would love to have him back but if he has that option, I wish him the best.
I would like to see Gift back. If he transfers his redshirting will turn out to be a real fiasco. We could have used him this year. Regardless, I am excited about next year.

Lavin might be a bimbo as Fun says, but he knows enough to use a player who could help him win.
Gift would not have helped.   Dunlap came to that conclusion 2 years ago.  Lavin cam to that conclusion this year.
All last summer when coach was heaping praise on everyone, did he ever mention Gift doing well?   Nope.   He talked about Dom and Harrison and Jones being a sleeper...never said he expected good things from Gift,   Just mentioned that he's a good student.

Everyone needs to get over the Gift infatuation.   For his size he was a poor defender and rebounder.   And that was all he was really being used for anyway.

LJSA

« Reply #1565 on: April 09, 2013, 12:22:29 PM »
Also on a Temple board:

It looks unlikely that well get jordan right now.  In a last ditch effort I sent him a tweet saying that Johnnie coaches are bragging aout getting you  and they blew your secret.    Who knows might piss him off toward Johnnies and cause him to change his mind.   Folks go on his twitter and tell him the same thing. Can't hurt.

Lets not.

Don't engage don't do anything. 

Just like when Lawrence decided to go to Cincy don't engage in nonsense or attacks and don't bait Cincy fans.

And now don't bait Temple fans or Rysheed.

You win recruiting battles with class and you lose them the same way.

But this is what I was talking about in terms of Temple board meltdown.  Much like RU with Lance Thomas.

Just so there's no confusion, the only part of the post that is my words is "Also on a Temple board:"

I was not advocating going to anyone's twitter or board. Just wanted to show what one poster had written.

TONYD3

« Reply #1566 on: April 09, 2013, 07:02:18 PM »
Agree gift was a poor post defender and rebounder. However he considerably better then the guys we had this year. He is not great, but could have been serviceable. Think we beat nova early on with him. Also would love to have that scholarship this year.

crgreen

« Reply #1567 on: April 09, 2013, 07:02:36 PM »
Someone mentions Gift going to Harvard.  Never heard that before.  I know I am in the minority here, but I've felt that Gift will suprise people for us next year, that he'll be a bigger contributor than many think.  I don't want to see him transfer.  Seems like no one ever talks about him here, apart from saying he'll ride the bench.  I always felt he never was able to get into a groove, always fearing foul trouble, having to play tentatively.  I think it will be a shame if he goes.

Does Gift to Harvard for next season make ANY sense?  The talk of his agreeing to the redshirt this year as a senior is that it gives him an extra year on full athletic scholarship - a Post Grad year paid for.   Ivy league schools don't HAVE athletic scholarships.

desco80

« Reply #1568 on: April 09, 2013, 07:18:14 PM »
Someone mentions Gift going to Harvard.  Never heard that before.  I know I am in the minority here, but I've felt that Gift will suprise people for us next year, that he'll be a bigger contributor than many think.  I don't want to see him transfer.  Seems like no one ever talks about him here, apart from saying he'll ride the bench.  I always felt he never was able to get into a groove, always fearing foul trouble, having to play tentatively.  I think it will be a shame if he goes.

Does Gift to Harvard for next season make ANY sense?  The talk of his agreeing to the redshirt this year as a senior is that it gives him an extra year on full athletic scholarship - a Post Grad year paid for.   Ivy league schools don't HAVE athletic scholarships.

Harvard meets 100% of its students needs in financial aid.   They calculate what they think your parents (or the student) can afford, and they pick up the rest of the tab. 

And yes, it makes perfect sense if coach told him last summer; there's not a lot of playing time here for you, you can transfer now and have to sit out a year, or stay here as a redshirt, graduate, and you can transfer without penalty and you'll have a degree. 

« Reply #1569 on: April 09, 2013, 07:19:48 PM »
Wouldn't coach want to use that schollie on an incoming kid, as opposed to just keeping someone around he knew was gone anyway...

LJSA

« Reply #1570 on: April 09, 2013, 08:00:47 PM »

Harvard meets 100% of its students needs in financial aid.   They calculate what they think your parents (or the student) can afford, and they pick up the rest of the tab. 

And yes, it makes perfect sense if coach told him last summer; there's not a lot of playing time here for you, you can transfer now and have to sit out a year, or stay here as a redshirt, graduate, and you can transfer without penalty and you'll have a degree. 

He should go to Stanford and have them pick up 100 percent of bill.

« Reply #1571 on: April 09, 2013, 08:04:31 PM »
Also on a Temple board:

It looks unlikely that well get jordan right now.  In a last ditch effort I sent him a tweet saying that Johnnie coaches are bragging aout getting you  and they blew your secret.    Who knows might piss him off toward Johnnies and cause him to change his mind.   Folks go on his twitter and tell him the same thing. Can't hurt.

Lets not.

Don't engage don't do anything. 

Just like when Lawrence decided to go to Cincy don't engage in nonsense or attacks and don't bait Cincy fans.

And now don't bait Temple fans or Rysheed.

You win recruiting battles with class and you lose them the same way.

But this is what I was talking about in terms of Temple board meltdown.  Much like RU with Lance Thomas.

Just so there's no confusion, the only part of the post that is my words is "Also on a Temple board:"

I was not advocating going to anyone's twitter or board. Just wanted to show what one poster had written.

Fair enough.

crgreen

« Reply #1572 on: April 09, 2013, 08:53:50 PM »

Harvard meets 100% of its students needs in financial aid.   They calculate what they think your parents (or the student) can afford, and they pick up the rest of the tab. 

No, they don't.    From a Crimson article on recruit Noah Allen, who'll be a freshman at UCLA next year   http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2012/10/3/noah-allen-decommits-100212/ :

Harvard men’s basketball recruit Noah Allen rescinded his verbal commitment to the Crimson and reopened his recruitment on Monday, citing financial aid concerns.

“My family can’t afford 60 grand a year, and that’s what the financial aid people told us it would cost,” Allen said. “It broke my heart. I really wanted to go to Harvard, but the numbers didn’t add up.”

Allen, ranked as the 29th best small forward in this year’s senior class by ESPN, fell in love with Harvard early on in the recruiting process.

“It wasn’t even really about basketball,” Allen said. “The prestige, that’s why I committed.”

The current high school senior committed in late July, following a visit to campus.

“I got there and I fell in love with it,” Allen said. “It wasn’t what I expected, but I knew it was where I wanted to go.”

But Allen's quest to attend Harvard was thwarted at roughly the same time by the financial aid office’s projected contribution package.

“One reason I committed [in July] was that [the financial aid office] said it would cost five or ten percent of my family’s income,” Allen said. “And then they came back [asking for] the whole thing and it caught [my family] off guard a little bit. We just can’t do that. My parents can’t go into debt.”

At that point, Allen tried everything he could to get the office to reconsider their estimate, but to no avail.

“They thought they could get [the price] down, but it just didn’t happen,” Allen said. “We tried everything, but they said, ‘No, we can’t give you anything.’”

Allen, who said he has a 3.9 GPA at Palma School in Salinas, Calif., was confident that he would meet the academic requirements needed to get admitted to Harvard.

But due to financial concerns, he and his family finally concluded Monday that his dream wasn’t going to come true. That night, Allen tweeted, “Doing what I just did sucks.”

This isn’t the first time that the Crimson has lost a prized recruit due to issues of financial aid, as the Ivy League does not allow athletic scholarships. In 2009, Rod Odom Jr., a top 100 prospect in the class of 2012, chose to enroll at Arizona rather than Harvard. He later recommitted to Vanderbilt.

“The thing that prevented Harvard from being in the last two was when we got the financial aid indication, which—compared to a full scholarship—couldn’t be a consideration for us,” Rod Odom Sr. told The Crimson in March.

MCNPA

« Reply #1573 on: April 09, 2013, 09:38:02 PM »
Why is everybody chasing Gift out?  I don't think he's bad at all. He can help us next year in the post against some teams. 

bk8664

« Reply #1574 on: April 09, 2013, 09:40:02 PM »
Why is everybody chasing Gift out?  I don't think he's bad at all. He can help us next year in the post against some teams.

I'm definitely looking forward to him spelling other front court players for the team.  He's got a big body and he'll be needed against certain opponents.   He'll have quite a bit of time between playing seasons, hopefully he's improve things like free-throw shooting, rebounding, blocking out, etc.

« Reply #1576 on: April 09, 2013, 09:44:03 PM »

Im definitely not. I like him as a backup big. Can really help us be a little more physical down low.

« Reply #1577 on: April 09, 2013, 09:45:09 PM »

Harvard meets 100% of its students needs in financial aid.   They calculate what they think your parents (or the student) can afford, and they pick up the rest of the tab. 

No, they don't.    From a Crimson article on recruit Noah Allen, who'll be a freshman at UCLA next year   http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2012/10/3/noah-allen-decommits-100212/ :

Harvard men’s basketball recruit Noah Allen rescinded his verbal commitment to the Crimson and reopened his recruitment on Monday, citing financial aid concerns.

“My family can’t afford 60 grand a year, and that’s what the financial aid people told us it would cost,” Allen said. “It broke my heart. I really wanted to go to Harvard, but the numbers didn’t add up.”

Allen, ranked as the 29th best small forward in this year’s senior class by ESPN, fell in love with Harvard early on in the recruiting process.

“It wasn’t even really about basketball,” Allen said. “The prestige, that’s why I committed.”

The current high school senior committed in late July, following a visit to campus.

“I got there and I fell in love with it,” Allen said. “It wasn’t what I expected, but I knew it was where I wanted to go.”

But Allen's quest to attend Harvard was thwarted at roughly the same time by the financial aid office’s projected contribution package.

“One reason I committed [in July] was that [the financial aid office] said it would cost five or ten percent of my family’s income,” Allen said. “And then they came back [asking for] the whole thing and it caught [my family] off guard a little bit. We just can’t do that. My parents can’t go into debt.”

At that point, Allen tried everything he could to get the office to reconsider their estimate, but to no avail.

“They thought they could get [the price] down, but it just didn’t happen,” Allen said. “We tried everything, but they said, ‘No, we can’t give you anything.’”

Allen, who said he has a 3.9 GPA at Palma School in Salinas, Calif., was confident that he would meet the academic requirements needed to get admitted to Harvard.

But due to financial concerns, he and his family finally concluded Monday that his dream wasn’t going to come true. That night, Allen tweeted, “Doing what I just did sucks.”

This isn’t the first time that the Crimson has lost a prized recruit due to issues of financial aid, as the Ivy League does not allow athletic scholarships. In 2009, Rod Odom Jr., a top 100 prospect in the class of 2012, chose to enroll at Arizona rather than Harvard. He later recommitted to Vanderbilt.

“The thing that prevented Harvard from being in the last two was when we got the financial aid indication, which—compared to a full scholarship—couldn’t be a consideration for us,” Rod Odom Sr. told The Crimson in March.
If Harvard was telling him it would be 60k then his parents are making over 150k or 160k or something like that.

Lower income earners most definitely get either full rides or almost full rides. I think the number is 60k-70k and under gets full schollie and between that number and the 150k it's between 0 and 10% of your parents income that you have to pay
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 09:53:35 PM by mjmaherjr »

boo3

« Reply #1578 on: April 09, 2013, 09:47:58 PM »

Agreed.  He is not a stiff.

ras

« Reply #1579 on: April 09, 2013, 10:02:16 PM »

They are generous w the financial aid. My brother was a wrestler and got into Columbia, would have cost him the same as if he went to a state school. I like the idea of having a strong body w Gift. But he would have been more valuable this year and we would have an extra scholi to restock.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 10:19:17 PM by ras »